MBB @ Portland State

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Re: MBB @ Portland State

Post by MSU01 » Sat Jan 27, 2024 8:33 pm

msu_agfan wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2024 8:25 pm
MSU01 wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2024 8:20 pm
Anyone who thinks the refs were responsible for that outcome is insane. PSU played the last four minutes masterfully to extend the game, and MSU couldn't handle the pressure without Ford. Simple as that. All of those turnovers were the correct calls.
Well, who but the refs fouled out Ford? His last call was questionable and the beginning of several others. I agree we are weak at the press for sure. But at least one of those should have gone our way and would have given us a chance at seeing an actual.shot go up..
Ford's last foul was 100% correct, he ran right into the guy. Bad luck but the ref has to call that.

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Sat Jan 27, 2024 8:39 pm

Turner, Goracke, and Geron-just unforgiveable turnovers in the back court. All huge mental errors. They don't step out of bounds or lose the handle they're shooting free throws. Goracke forgets this is not D-2-he's way too soft with the ball sometimes. Turner and Geron rode a lot of pine at their previous schools and they melted. Hopefully they'll learn from this, but when we end up with a losing record or don't get a bye, this game will loom large.

msu_agfan
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by msu_agfan » Sat Jan 27, 2024 8:42 pm

MSU01 wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2024 8:33 pm
msu_agfan wrote:
MSU01 wrote:
Anyone who thinks the refs were responsible for that outcome is insane. PSU played the last four minutes masterfully to extend the game, and MSU couldn't handle the pressure without Ford. Simple as that. All of those turnovers were the correct calls.
Well, who but the refs fouled out Ford? His last call was questionable and the beginning of several others. I agree we are weak at the press for sure. But at least one of those should have gone our way and would have given us a chance at seeing an actual.shot go up..
Ford's last foul was 100% correct, he ran right into the guy. Bad luck but the ref has to call that.
For the record, I am a "don't blame the refs" guy. It's just quite hard to not do it this time, if it's not hard for you I don't understand. I'm pulling for this team and they played a great game. It sure feels like an injustice, but they will gain plenty from this experience.

Animal Science/ Ag Business '96

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Sat Jan 27, 2024 8:47 pm

msu_agfan wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2024 8:42 pm
MSU01 wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2024 8:33 pm
msu_agfan wrote:
MSU01 wrote:
For the record, I am a "don't blame the refs" guy. It's just quite hard to not do it this time, if it's not hard for you I don't understand. I'm pulling for this team and they played a great game. It sure feels like an injustice, but they will gain plenty from this experience.
Fair enough. Personally I didn't see any calls the refs missed against MSU in the last minute. I could be wrong, wouldn't be the first time! I agree that this will be a major learning experience. Logie was PISSED in the post game interview although way too professional to say anything he shouldn't have.

HighPlainsBobcat
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by HighPlainsBobcat » Sat Jan 27, 2024 8:52 pm

The team has really been playing well the last 5 games! It’s coming down to the little things and leadership. Not having RF3 on the floor late in close games is huge. Someone is needs to step up. Time will tell.

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Sat Jan 27, 2024 8:56 pm

Logie looked like he could eat nails on the behind the mic interview. He was boiling-though he said very little. Was he mad at the refs, his players, or both? I'd guess both. Might be a few rough practices this week. Logie is not used to losing.

Bocephus
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Bocephus » Sat Jan 27, 2024 8:59 pm

BelgradeBobcat wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2024 8:56 pm
Logie looked like he could eat nails on the behind the mic interview. He was boiling-though he said very little. Was he mad at the refs, his players, or both? I'd guess both. Might be a few rough practices this week. Logie is not used to losing.
They have got to get the press breaker figured out.

Joe Bobcat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Joe Bobcat » Sat Jan 27, 2024 9:03 pm

BelgradeBobcat wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2024 8:56 pm
Please post a link to the post game interview, thank you.

If you're looking for someone with a little authority, I'm your man. I have as little as anyone!

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Sat Jan 27, 2024 9:05 pm

Fast forward to the last few minutes.

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Sat Jan 27, 2024 9:06 pm

Go to 3:03:48-right at the end

catscat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by catscat » Sat Jan 27, 2024 9:06 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2024 8:18 pm
CatBlitz wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2024 8:15 pm
aucat wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2024 8:14 pm
As the MSU announcer said "Cats Crumbling late." Pretty much sums it up.
13 point lead with 4 minutes to go?

Cats:
Hold my Beer.
12 with two minutes to go. Turner had three turnovers in the final two minutes.
I've been unimpressed with Turner all season. Don't know if he was supposed to run the clock down then drive and shoot or not, but he hasn't been good at shooting in a crowd.

Can't make up my mind as to which is better - 55-21 or 48-14.

Common Cat

Post by Common Cat » Sat Jan 27, 2024 9:21 pm

How about we don’t step out of bounds (twice) in the last minute. Oy….

@rfoley77 @rrcatcast Golden Coolie

Aunty-Bobcat
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Aunty-Bobcat » Sat Jan 27, 2024 9:29 pm

100%. Eddie Turnover proves himself over and over as a weak link.

Desert_Bobcat
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Desert_Bobcat » Sat Jan 27, 2024 9:31 pm

Wasn’t able to watch the game live tonight (caught the last 5 minutes on the radio) and judging by the responses here I’m not so sure I want to watch!😂😬

Before I crack into the game I’ve got 2 thoughts
1: It very well could have been a ref show. Rob fouling out is a killer. You can’t control the refs so you can only complain so much.
2: This is the more important point. Cats NEED to figure out who their second primary ball handler is behind Rob. Eddie Turnover III seems like the obvious choice. HOWEVER, other than in a select few games this year, he seems to enjoy fouling and handing the ball to the other team with dumb turnovers. In the games he’s played well in, I’ve loved his game. There’s just no consistency. He gets incredible tunnel vision with the ball in his hands and I’m guessing I’m going to see a prime example of that with about 45 seconds left in the game.

In this case both things can be true. Maybe we need to see Jed in there instead of Eddie or Geron (who at this point I’m equally unimpressed in). I’m guessing the boys’ feet will be held to the fire this week in practice to see who can handle the heat!

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Sat Jan 27, 2024 9:36 pm

Desert_Bobcat wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2024 9:31 pm
Wasn’t able to watch the game live tonight (caught the last 5 minutes on the radio) and judging by the responses here I’m not so sure I want to watch!😂😬

1: It very well could have been a ref show. Rob fouling out is a killer. You can’t control the refs so you can only complain so much.
2: This is the more important point. Cats NEED to figure out who their second primary ball handler is behind Rob. Eddie Turnover III seems like the obvious choice. HOWEVER, other than in a select few games this year, he seems to enjoy fouling and handing the ball to the other team with dumb turnovers. In the games he’s played well in, I’ve loved his game. There’s just no consistency. He gets incredible tunnel vision with the ball in his hands and I’m guessing I’m going to see a prime example of that with about 45 seconds left in the game.

In this case both things can be true. Maybe we need to see Jed in there instead of Eddie or Geron (who at this point I’m equally unimpressed in). I’m guessing the boys’ feet will be held to the fire this week in practice to see who can handle the heat!
Jed Miller could have helped us-just like he did against Idaho State when they were full-on pressing. Geron is a liability handling the ball-as he was against ISU. At the very least, sub Ford out when on defense. Logie blew that one in my opinion.
Last edited by BelgradeBobcat on Sat Jan 27, 2024 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Common Cat

Post by Common Cat » Sat Jan 27, 2024 9:39 pm

BelgradeBobcat wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2024 9:36 pm
Desert_Bobcat wrote:

Jed Miller could have helped us-just like he did against Idaho State when they were full-on pressing. Geron is a liability handling the ball-as he was against ISU. Logie blew that one in my opinion.
It’s uncanny the mental errors that popped up without Ford out there. Agreed Jed would’ve been the dude to get the ball.

Common Cat

Post by Common Cat » Sat Jan 27, 2024 9:51 pm

Around 2 minutes the cats had 99% chance of winning.

Desert_Bobcat
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Desert_Bobcat » Sun Jan 28, 2024 12:16 am

Desert_Bobcat wrote:

WHAT. A. GAME!!! (For 38 minutes…)
I took notes for this one so buckle up it’s going to be a long one.

Let’s talk about the refs first of all.
Honestly, not as bad as BCN made them out to be. If you’re mad about the refs blowing this one I really don’t know what to tell you. Did they miss calls? Sure, but the Cats were the ones who couldn’t handle the pressure of the moment, not the officials. There were more missed calls (jump balls, travels, and a potential over-and-back) in the first half than the second.
-Goracke’s Tech should have gone to Walker. Really don’t know why they gave it to Brian
- Tech on PSU’s coach was boarderline criminal. Worst call of the game IMO
- if you’re going to call a tech on PSU’s #22 you have to call one on Chika for rocking the baby 🤷🏼‍♂️ (don’t see an issue with either of those)
-Fords 5th foul was tough to see but it was the right call..

Now to the Cats’ first 38 minutes:
- I thought they played an almost perfect 1st half.
- they handled the press a lot better than they have in the past (still not perfect but much improved)
- ET3 looked under control and looked like he belonged
- Shooting was lights out the whole game.
- Walker is very lazy with the ball at the top of the key and he needs to be a better passer from that spot on the floor. (Stat sheet shows it on other players but he had at least 3 TO’s from bad passes up top)
- Eddie spends a lot of time dribbling trying to make a decision. He needs to be quicker to make decisions with the ball in his hand)
- I’m convinced that if Eddie learned to take a charge he’d be leading the team in charges taken. He takes a ton of fouls swiping at the ball in spots where he should just take a charge.
-Robert Ford III is our best spot up shooter. He’s our best everything. The dude can do it all and I’m glad he stuck around.
- Cats need to figure out who that 2nd PG is because Rob is so good off the ball
- 15 point lead with 4 minutes left…

Now to the last 2 minutes:
- All flow was lost when RobCat fouled out. ET3 turned into a different player (not in a good way)
- up 9 with 60 seconds…
- is Geron really the one we want receiving the inbound??
- is Goracke really the one we want Inbounding the ball??
- ET3 with 15 seconds was exactly what I predicted above. That is not the look you want to have in that situation.
- You absolutely HAVE to box out the FT shooter. That is 100% on Geron. If he boxes out Cats have 7 seconds down 1 instead of 3 seconds down 3. Theres you ballgame…

Now, give credit where credit is due. PSU is one of the worst if not the worst shooting teams in the BSC. They put on an absolute clinic in this game. If they shoot their average from 3 this is a 20 point game for MSU. A lot of the shots they took were well contested and they just went in. Not much you can do about that. They’re a very good team at home, I’m curious what team will show up in the rematch on 2/22

Also, shout out to the announcers PSU has for their ESPN feed. Those guys are consummate professionals and I thought called an excellent game!

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Sun Jan 28, 2024 1:42 am

I know I'm gonna piss some people off by saying this, but I get sick to death of people on BN whining incessantly about how we get screwed by the refs, seemingly every single game. Are there some bad/questionable calls that go against us sometimes...of course there are. Is it likely that that are approximately the same number of bad/questionable calls that go against our opponents in most games...of course it is. I highly doubt that there is some grand conspiracy among BSC refs to screw over the Bobcats as much as possible, every chance they get. It's part of the game, so get over it. We blew this game, the refs didn't steal it from us. It made me sick to my stomach, to watch us piss that game way. It would seem to be almost impossible to lose a game we led by 15 with four minutes to go, by 12 with two minutes remaining, and by 9 in the final minute. We better learn some things from this one, or the 2nd half of the conference season might not go nearly as well as the 1st half did. On the bright side, at the beginning of conference play, I think most of us would have been ecstatic if someone told us we'd be 5-3 after our first 8 BSC games.

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Sun Jan 28, 2024 1:59 am

What is up with Weber? They were the overwhelming preseason favorites to win the BSC, beat us and the gris the first weekend of conference play, but have now lost 5 of their last 6, including a loss to ISU tonight at home. Have they had some injuries or something?