Indoor facility

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Re: Indoor facility

Post by Hawks86 » Thu Oct 26, 2023 11:19 am

AFCAT wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2023 9:53 am
GoCats18 wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2023 11:44 pm
I would love to see the day when all of the High School football Championships, for all classes could be split up and played between MSU and UM’s indoor facilities. You could do AA and B in one, A and C (8&6 man) in the other and just rotate.
Last I looked, the gris facility just had a straight line sprint and jump track, not an oval track.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

Camo_Cat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Camo_Cat » Thu Oct 26, 2023 11:30 am

I've always been torn about the issue of an indoor facility. On one hand, I can definitely see it in terms of the health and safety of players, as well as the ability to not have a day of practice get canceled or scaled back due to weather. On the other hand, I also see the ability to adapt and acclimate to the weather as a big advantage to a northern team like MSU. When conference opponents like Davis or Poly get off the bus, or when teams from warm weather climates roll into Bozeman for the playoffs, it's a clear advantage to our guys who have practicing in it for weeks. Bill & Mary just quit in that game last year; you could tell they wanted no part of the weather and our guys were ready for it.

"I love Bozeman. I love these people. I love the Cats. I even love this weather. You think I'm gonna pick Missoula? You're crazy - gimme the Cat head!!" -- Lee Corso, ESPN GameDay

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Thu Oct 26, 2023 12:06 pm

Camo_Cat wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2023 11:30 am
I've always been torn about the issue of an indoor facility. On one hand, I can definitely see it in terms of the health and safety of players, as well as the ability to not have a day of practice get canceled or scaled back due to weather. On the other hand, I also see the ability to adapt and acclimate to the weather as a big advantage to a northern team like MSU. When conference opponents like Davis or Poly get off the bus, or when teams from warm weather climates roll into Bozeman for the playoffs, it's a clear advantage to our guys who have practicing in it for weeks. Bill & Mary just quit in that game last year; you could tell they wanted no part of the weather and our guys were ready for it.
I would assume we'll still practice outside sometimes but the IPF would allow us to practice indoors when we can't go outside. There have been times when practice has been delayed/cancelled because of weather. That wouldn't happen any more.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

BobcatNation Letterman

Post by 110010110 » Thu Oct 26, 2023 1:22 pm

GoCats18 wrote:
I would love to see the day when all of the High School football Championships, for all classes could be split up and played between MSU and UM’s indoor facilities. You could do AA and B in one, A and C (8&6 man) in the other and just rotate.
Probably couldn't do 6&8 man that way since its played on a smaller field.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Thu Oct 26, 2023 2:55 pm

Hawks86 wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2023 11:19 am
AFCAT wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2023 9:53 am
GoCats18 wrote:
Last I looked, the gris facility just had a straight line sprint and jump track, not an oval track.
Man, I just saw he wrote football. I was thinking track. My apologies.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

blueandgoldblitz
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by blueandgoldblitz » Thu Oct 26, 2023 4:17 pm

Camo_Cat wrote:
I hear what you're saying but the players still have to live in the cold weather environment. SDSU has an indoor practice facility and looked better acclimated in the cold weather last year in Brookings in the semi's that the Bobcats did IMO.

gtapp
Golden Bobcat

Post by gtapp » Thu Oct 26, 2023 4:36 pm

Camo_Cat wrote:
So how do you explain last years semi final game? SDSU practiced in an indoor facility we practiced outside.

Gary Tapp
Graduated MSU 1981
Hamilton High School
Minneapolis, MN

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Thu Oct 26, 2023 5:19 pm

GoCats18 wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2023 8:58 am
MSU01 wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2023 5:10 am
GoCats18 wrote:
Where would the thousands of spectators who want to watch these games sit?
In the bleachers (if we do it like the first rendering they put out, don’t know if UM’s has seating I guess). I was in Helena for last years game, there definitely wasn’t 1000 people there.
Some of the worst weather possible for that game. Definitely affected attendance. And the last state title game in Butte drew over 7,000.

Camo_Cat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Camo_Cat » Thu Oct 26, 2023 7:25 pm

gtapp wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2023 4:36 pm
Camo_Cat wrote:
So how do you explain last years semi final game? SDSU practiced in an indoor facility we practiced outside.
Weather was not the issue that caused us to lose that game. We got beat by a team that was head and shoulders clearly the better team. In addition, we lost Chambers on the opening drive, causing us to abandon much of our offensive game plan. And in reality, both our lines were just manhandled by a better SDSU team. I doubt any of our guys are gonna use the weather as an excuse for that loss. We played great the week before in Bozeman in weather that was nearly as bad.

"I love Bozeman. I love these people. I love the Cats. I even love this weather. You think I'm gonna pick Missoula? You're crazy - gimme the Cat head!!" -- Lee Corso, ESPN GameDay

tetoncat
Member # Retired

Post by tetoncat » Thu Oct 26, 2023 7:32 pm

Camo_Cat wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2023 7:25 pm
gtapp wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2023 4:36 pm
Camo_Cat wrote:
Weather was not the issue that caused us to lose that game. We got beat by a team that was head and shoulders clearly the better team. In addition, we lost Chambers on the opening drive, causing us to abandon much of our offensive game plan. And in reality, both our lines were just manhandled by a better SDSU team. I doubt any of our guys are gonna use the weather as an excuse for that loss. We played great the week before in Bozeman in weather that was nearly as bad.
Weather was as bad, field wasn't. We were dominated by lines, but slicker conditions didn't help us either. Both things can be true. Would we have won, probably not but would have beenmuch more competetive

Sports is not bigger than life

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Thu Oct 26, 2023 7:38 pm

BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2023 8:56 pm
catgrad05 wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2023 8:48 pm
Montanabob wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2023 7:17 pm
catgrad05 wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2023 6:44 pm
AFCAT wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2023 3:59 pm
110010110 wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2023 1:34 pm
As the team prepares for what is probably the biggest game of the conference schedule in a windy, 20°f snowstorm I cant help but think "You know what they could really use right now.... an indoor practice facility"
Do we have a time table on it yet? Last I heard they were still considering how big to make it (to include indoor track or not)
Last I heard, they are completing the financing and construction should begin this Spring with completion happening near Cat-gris. Now, they’ve given out rosy timelines in the past, so I’m taking it all with a grain of salt.

All I’m going to say is I got an interesting email from the track program that it’s not entirely decided yet on the facility
full size indoor track would be a huge deal to get competitive with NAU.
300m, looks like a matching fund ish type scenario. If it can be raised the facility will be more than just a football complex. Something I hope a lot of people can get on board with.
I love track and field, but has it ever been a revenue gainer? Like…at least football makes money. It’s hard for me to justify spending that much more money for sports that don’t generate anything, but instead cost.
Maybe not from ticket sales, but the Track team has some donors with deep pockets.

Joe Bobcat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Joe Bobcat » Thu Oct 26, 2023 7:53 pm

wbtfg wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2023 7:38 pm
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
catgrad05 wrote:
Montanabob wrote:
catgrad05 wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
110010110 wrote:
As the team prepares for what is probably the biggest game of the conference schedule in a windy, 20°f snowstorm I cant help but think "You know what they could really use right now.... an indoor practice facility"
Do we have a time table on it yet? Last I heard they were still considering how big to make it (to include indoor track or not)
Last I heard, they are completing the financing and construction should begin this Spring with completion happening near Cat-gris. Now, they’ve given out rosy timelines in the past, so I’m taking it all with a grain of salt.

All I’m going to say is I got an interesting email from the track program that it’s not entirely decided yet on the facility
300m, looks like a matching fund ish type scenario. If it can be raised the facility will be more than just a football complex. Something I hope a lot of people can get on board with.
I love track and field, but has it ever been a revenue gainer? Like…at least football makes money. It’s hard for me to justify spending that much more money for sports that don’t generate anything, but instead cost.
Maybe not from ticket sales, but the Track team has some donors with deep pockets.
Looking at the big picture I think track brings way more positives to the university than their revenue alone shows.
The indoor practice facility with an oval track will benefit more than just the university track team. We'll always regret it if we don't try very hard to make the oval track happen.

If you're looking for someone with a little authority, I'm your man. I have as little as anyone!

CodyCat
Member # Retired

Post by CodyCat » Fri Oct 27, 2023 8:07 am

Joe Bobcat wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2023 7:53 pm
wbtfg wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2023 7:38 pm
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
catgrad05 wrote:
Montanabob wrote:
catgrad05 wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
110010110 wrote:

Looking at the big picture I think track brings way more positives to the university than their revenue alone shows.
The indoor practice facility with an oval track will benefit more than just the university track team. We'll always regret it if we don't try very hard to make the oval track happen.
:goodpost:

Hating the griz since 02.

Bobcatsinmso
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by Bobcatsinmso » Fri Oct 27, 2023 8:36 am

When the details come out for the IPF, I expect to see a state of the art atmospheric ventilation system. We have another season in Montana, and that is the wildfire season. You cannot do a thing about that when you play in an outdoor stadium, but to be able to practice indoors when those extreme smoke conditions hit will be beneficial on many levels.

The State of Montana is Bobcat country.
missoula....still just 20 miles from Montana.
FTG

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Fri Oct 27, 2023 10:43 am

If we had to wait for football to generate enough money for improvements like the BAC and indoor practice facility, then we’d be waiting a long time. Most of the money is donated and not from football related revenue.

“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

ThoughtUKnew14
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by ThoughtUKnew14 » Fri Oct 27, 2023 2:26 pm

Are they doing enough to raise funds? I for one have not heard anyway to contribute. $20 million is not that much in the grand scheme of things.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Fri Oct 27, 2023 2:39 pm

ThoughtUKnew14 wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2023 2:26 pm
Are they doing enough to raise funds? I for one have not heard anyway to contribute. $20 million is not that much in the grand scheme of things.
You can contribute by calling up the Alumni foundation. It’s been mentioned a few times before, but they are in the silent phase, getting the big money donations. The public phase will probably start soon. Phone numbers at the bottom of the linked page. You can also send a message via their facilities plan site. If you have a $20 million to donate, then they may name it after you. 8)

https://www.msuaf.org/s/1584/index.aspx ... &pgid=1879

https://msubobcats.com/sb_output.aspx?form=119

ThoughtUKnew14
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by ThoughtUKnew14 » Fri Oct 27, 2023 4:24 pm

AFCAT wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2023 2:39 pm
ThoughtUKnew14 wrote:
You can contribute by calling up the Alumni foundation. It’s been mentioned a few times before, but they are in the silent phase, getting the big money donations. The public phase will probably start soon. Phone numbers at the bottom of the linked page. You can also send a message via their facilities plan site. If you have a $20 million to donate, then they may name it after you. 8)

Great, thanks for the info! I definitely don’t have 20 million to contribute but I will be contributing. I get looking for the big money donations but IMO the public phase should have started at years ago…

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Fri Oct 27, 2023 5:23 pm

ThoughtUKnew14 wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2023 4:24 pm
AFCAT wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2023 2:39 pm
ThoughtUKnew14 wrote:

Great, thanks for the info! I definitely don’t have 20 million to contribute but I will be contributing. I get looking for the big money donations but IMO the public phase should have started at years ago…
You can make donations to the athletic facilities plan anytime you want to. I used to make donations monthly when they started the BAC.

https://securelb.imodules.com/s/1584/in ... 9&cid=6934

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Fri Oct 27, 2023 5:59 pm

ThoughtUKnew14 wrote:
They’re actually in the homestretch right now. Guess is we’ll hear an official announcement during the playoffs if all goes well. Goal is to have it usable next year around this time, hopefully before the snow flies.