Moving up

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Re: Moving up

Post by AFCAT » Thu May 04, 2023 8:20 pm

Common Cat wrote:
Thu May 04, 2023 7:12 pm
AFCAT wrote:
Thu May 04, 2023 12:31 pm
I say both schools should drop down to Div 2.
I don’t know if you’re being serious. I assume you’re joking…
Okay, let’s go NAIA. The Cats would kick everyone’s a$$ and win the Natty.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

GeauxCats41
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by GeauxCats41 » Fri May 05, 2023 9:34 am

Montana placing outside the top 5 in the BSC doesn’t make them appealing for an FBS conference… we will have to put in a good word.

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Fri May 05, 2023 10:27 am

GeauxCats41 wrote:
Fri May 05, 2023 9:34 am
Montana placing outside the top 5 in the BSC doesn’t make them appealing for an FBS conference… we will have to put in a good word.
How dare you disparage the Kings of September!

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Fri May 05, 2023 2:10 pm

Colter talked about moving up/realignment again yesterday and continued to ignore the main issue: nobody wants us! The FBS can reorganize as much as it wants but until the MWC is desperate enough to invite us or, even less likely, the FBS allows a new conference to form and join, all the benefits of moving up don't matter.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Fri May 05, 2023 2:19 pm

coloradocat wrote:
Fri May 05, 2023 2:10 pm
Colter talked about moving up/realignment again yesterday and continued to ignore the main issue: nobody wants us! The FBS can reorganize as much as it wants but until the MWC is desperate enough to invite us or, even less likely, the FBS allows a new conference to form and join, all the benefits of moving up don't matter.
It’s the slow season in Montana sports.

“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Montanabob » Fri May 05, 2023 5:14 pm

AFCAT wrote:
Fri May 05, 2023 2:19 pm
coloradocat wrote:
Fri May 05, 2023 2:10 pm
It’s the slow season in Montana sports.
And teams aren't real anxious to jump from MWC to the PAC 8....

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

GeauxCats41
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by GeauxCats41 » Fri May 05, 2023 6:29 pm

coloradocat wrote:
Fri May 05, 2023 10:27 am
GeauxCats41 wrote:
I’m gunna regret saying this after I watch them hang 50 on Butler this fall aren’t I? Ugh.

damnyoutuesday
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by damnyoutuesday » Sat May 06, 2023 2:00 pm

GeauxCats41 wrote:
Fri May 05, 2023 6:29 pm
coloradocat wrote:
GeauxCats41 wrote:
I’m gunna regret saying this after I watch them hang 50 on Butler this fall aren’t I? Ugh.
Their more interesting game is vs Ferris State

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Sat May 06, 2023 4:23 pm

damnyoutuesday wrote:
Sat May 06, 2023 2:00 pm
GeauxCats41 wrote:
Fri May 05, 2023 6:29 pm
coloradocat wrote:
GeauxCats41 wrote:
Their more interesting game is vs Ferris State
Ya, that game will not be easy for the Griz, mark my words.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

catfisherman
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by catfisherman » Sat May 06, 2023 7:55 pm

I don’t get the thinking that if we move up people that moved to Bozeman will want to donate money to the athletic department. So the cats play Utah State, Wyoming, Colorado State, Nevada, etc I don’t think a casual fan will decide to donate money because of the team’s MSU plays. Personally I don’t get more excited about playing Utah State, Wyoming, etc vs Weber State, Eastern Washington, Idaho State.
The “Snowbelt Conference “ is also just a conference of FCS schools playing FBS which we already can do, so why move up? If it’s just to make more money I am not all for it, because it will cost more money to move up.
I don’t see us getting an invitation to join the MWC or PAC #? So it is all a moot point.

Sorry for the rambling thoughts, I listened to colters stuff and completely disagreed with most of what he said.

Utcatsfan
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Utcatsfan » Mon May 08, 2023 4:13 am

catfisherman wrote:
Sat May 06, 2023 7:55 pm
I don’t get the thinking that if we move up people that moved to Bozeman will want to donate money to the athletic department. So the cats play Utah State, Wyoming, Colorado State, Nevada, etc I don’t think a casual fan will decide to donate money because of the team’s MSU plays. Personally I don’t get more excited about playing Utah State, Wyoming, etc vs Weber State, Eastern Washington, Idaho State.
The “Snowbelt Conference “ is also just a conference of FCS schools playing FBS which we already can do, so why move up? If it’s just to make more money I am not all for it, because it will cost more money to move up.
I don’t see us getting an invitation to join the MWC or PAC #? So it is all a moot point.

Sorry for the rambling thoughts, I listened to colters stuff and completely disagreed with most of what he said.
Definitely more of a personal opinion on my part but I feel it would be an upgrade compared to some Big Sky teams. Lets say the 2 schools being mentioned the most in realignment currently leave: SDSU and Fresno State. And both Montana schools get the invite (a Sunbelt style "Regional" pick. Travel would be similar to the Big Sky (outside Hawaii which would be a cool away game) every few years on top of more $$.

I'd be way more interested in playing Air Force and Boise State vs. Portland State, Northern Colorado for example and unlike many Big Sky schools we are serious when it comes to investing in our facilities and Football as a whole.

Even when comparing now to the MWC we would fit perfectly and actually beat a decent chunk of the Conference in terms of attendance and quality of facilities. I feel it's only a matter of time.

catfisherman
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by catfisherman » Mon May 08, 2023 5:13 am

Utcatsfan wrote:
Mon May 08, 2023 4:13 am
catfisherman wrote:
Sat May 06, 2023 7:55 pm

Definitely more of a personal opinion on my part but I feel it would be an upgrade compared to some Big Sky teams. Lets say the 2 schools being mentioned the most in realignment currently leave: SDSU and Fresno State. And both Montana schools get the invite (a Sunbelt style "Regional" pick. Travel would be similar to the Big Sky (outside Hawaii which would be a cool away game) every few years on top of more $$.

I'd be way more interested in playing Air Force and Boise State vs. Portland State, Northern Colorado for example and unlike many Big Sky schools we are serious when it comes to investing in our facilities and Football as a whole.

Even when comparing now to the MWC we would fit perfectly and actually beat a decent chunk of the Conference in terms of attendance and quality of facilities. I feel it's only a matter of time.
I keep hearing about how we would beat most of these schools attendance, yes at current levels (the last 3 seasons which have been the most successful since 1984) we have better numbers. If you go back to the mid 2000s when the cats were decent 6-5 to 8-3 type records attendance was not close to 19000. If the cats move up they won’t be only loosing 1-2 games a year, attendance will drop.

I think playing in a conference where if you win the title it means you have a good shot at a national title is a good thing. If you win the MWC title it means absolutely nothing in terms of national title chances, just that you will get a spot in the Famous Idaho Bowl or whatever non important bowl game that has no real importance and half of the best players don’t play in because they are more worried about the NFL.

I like being a big fish in a small pond.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Mon May 08, 2023 8:51 am

However slim, the new CFP field includes at least one G5 team, the conference champion of the highest rated G5 conference. Theoretically it would be possible for MSU to win the MWC and if the MWC was higher rated as a conference than say the AAC, it could get a spot in the playoffs:

"The top four conference champions will be followed by the top six at-large bids and the two highest-ranked remaining conference champions in the 12-team format. That assures at least one “Group of 5″ club will reach the Playoff each year and, although rare, provides more than one G5 team to replace a “Power 5″ team."

MWC conf champion bowls:
2022 - Fresno State, LA Bowl - Beat WA State 29-6, 2.4 million viewers
2021 - Utah State, LA Bowl - Beat Oregon State, 2.89 million viewers
2020 - SJSU, Arizona Bowl - Lost to Ball State, not sure viewers, Covid season
2019 - Boise State, Las Vegas Bowl - Lost to Washington, 2.64 million viewers
2018 - Fresno State, Las Vegas Bowl - Beat Arizona State, 3.3 million viewers

Here are all of the bowl games from 2022:

picture uploading websites

I used to be anti-bowl game, pro playoff, and I still am to an extent but after going to Frisco in 2022 I totally saw the allure of having a neutral site game against an opponent you don't get to see very often. I think that would be something that would be fun as a fan every year. Those games wouldn't be as fun as a playoff home game in Bozeman, but it would be better than a road trip to Sam Houston State or Incarnate Word...

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Mon May 08, 2023 9:10 am

MWC Bowl Payouts from 2022:

Jimmy Kimmel LA Bowl - No one seems to know the payout, but it's the "premier" bowl for the MWC champ so I assume it's north of $1.5 million
Frisco Bowl - $650k
Armed Forces Bowl - $1.35 million
Famous Idaho Potato Bowl - $800k
Hawaii Bowl - $1.2 million
Arizona Bowl - $350k
First Responder Bowl - $825k

So that's like $5.5 million+ in payouts to the conference which is shared.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

The Butcher
Golden Bobcat

Post by The Butcher » Mon May 08, 2023 9:16 am

CelticCat wrote:
Mon May 08, 2023 9:10 am

Jimmy Kimmel LA Bowl - No one seems to know the payout, but it's the "premier" bowl for the MWC champ so I assume it's north of $1.5 million
Frisco Bowl - $650k
Arizona Bowl - $350k

The Arizona Bowl payout is crazy low (in comparison). The lowest is the Bahamas Bowl at $225,000.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Mon May 08, 2023 9:48 am

CelticCat wrote:
Mon May 08, 2023 9:10 am

Frisco Bowl - $650k
Arizona Bowl - $350k

Shared. How much does each bowl team get after the game, minus expenses? Do they just get an equal share as every other team in the conference but have to cover their own expenses to play in the game? Just curious.

GoCats18
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by GoCats18 » Mon May 08, 2023 12:50 pm

We can’t even win a National Championship at this level. Why would people want to watch us play for a the chance at a bowl game? This would be a huge mistake. The fan base would drop to below 10,000 fans per game. It would destroy our program. Just look at Idaho. There is a reason they came back to the Big Sky.

Punters are people too!!

tetoncat
Member # Retired

Post by tetoncat » Mon May 08, 2023 12:50 pm

CelticCat wrote:
Mon May 08, 2023 8:51 am
However slim, the new CFP field includes at least one G5 team, the conference champion of the highest rated G5 conference. Theoretically it would be possible for MSU to win the MWC and if the MWC was higher rated as a conference than say the AAC, it could get a spot in the playoffs:

"The top four conference champions will be followed by the top six at-large bids and the two highest-ranked remaining conference champions in the 12-team format. That assures at least one “Group of 5″ club will reach the Playoff each year and, although rare, provides more than one G5 team to replace a “Power 5″ team."

MWC conf champion bowls:
2022 - Fresno State, LA Bowl - Beat WA State 29-6, 2.4 million viewers
2021 - Utah State, LA Bowl - Beat Oregon State, 2.89 million viewers
2020 - SJSU, Arizona Bowl - Lost to Ball State, not sure viewers, Covid season
2019 - Boise State, Las Vegas Bowl - Lost to Washington, 2.64 million viewers
2018 - Fresno State, Las Vegas Bowl - Beat Arizona State, 3.3 million viewers

Here are all of the bowl games from 2022:

picture uploading websites

I used to be anti-bowl game, pro playoff, and I still am to an extent but after going to Frisco in 2022 I totally saw the allure of having a neutral site game against an opponent you don't get to see very often. I think that would be something that would be fun as a fan every year. Those games wouldn't be as fun as a playoff home game in Bozeman, but it would be better than a road trip to Sam Houston State or Incarnate Word...

Viewers has dropped each year down almost 1/3 since 2018.

Shared payouts might cover higher coaching wages but increased scholarships need to come from somewhere else

Sports is not bigger than life

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Mon May 08, 2023 3:53 pm

GoCats18 wrote:
Mon May 08, 2023 12:50 pm
We can’t even win a National Championship at this level. Why would people want to watch us play for a the chance at a bowl game? This would be a huge mistake. The fan base would drop to below 10,000 fans per game. It would destroy our program. Just look at Idaho. There is a reason they came back to the Big Sky.
Totally disagree. Bobcat Stadium is packed on Saturdays because it's the place to be. It's a premier and one of a kind event that people don't want to miss. It's the same thing in Missoula. Like an old athletic director used to always say: "It's not about winning. It's about the hope of winning. If you win consistently for awhile, then people will have the hope of winning forever."

Montana State would have to be absolutely terrible for 10+ years in a row AND have a style that was unappealing to watch AND have a terrible coach for people to completely stop coming to games. And that wouldn't happen. If MSU was FBS, they could out-recruit at least half the league simply based on Bozeman being a way more desirable destination than Laramie or Reno or San Jose or wherever.

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Mon May 08, 2023 3:55 pm

Here's the episodes from last week. Kent Haslam is coming on the show on Wednesday to discuss all of this. Leon Costello will come on soon as well.

https://open.spotify.com/episode/6HlOUi ... dbc50b4d01

https://open.spotify.com/episode/33SVk8 ... 545a2d4cd5

https://open.spotify.com/episode/6PJ4zU ... ca12164101