Livingston football (lack thereof)

The place for news, information and discussion of High School Sports.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Livingston football (lack thereof)

Post by Cat Grad » Tue Mar 28, 2023 7:23 am

I've observed for several years how communities throughout the state will consolidate for athletics yet refuses to consolidate (close) schools. Livingston was a transient community when I was young and one can't help but wonder what the athletic director was referring to with the statement about teachers getting more attention than the coaches.

Last I knew there were 425 school districts in Montana. Flathead County alone has twenty three independent school districts. Very recently, Missoula had a high school struggle with numbers for kids to play this game.

https://www.livingstonenterprise.com/ne ... 163eb.html

*Edit A board member rather than the athletic director noted teachers receive much more professional development than coaches. Pretty much to be expected knowing how many different sports schools offer with such low enrollment numbers.

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Re: Livingston football (lack thereof)

Post by RickRund » Tue Mar 28, 2023 5:15 pm

Sad for the Rangers. Won State A in I think 75. That was their pinnacle, From the 80s on when I left don't know if they had any other success.

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

cats2506
Golden Bobcat

Post by cats2506 » Tue Mar 28, 2023 5:30 pm

RickRund wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2023 5:15 pm
Sad for the Rangers. Won State A in I think 75. That was their pinnacle, From the 80s on when I left don't know if they had any other success.
They were in the semi-finals in 2012, run based offense with a couple of good big O linemen. Coach left and its been a dumpster fire since then.

PlayerRep wrote:The point is not the record of the teams UM beat, it's the quality and record of the teams UM almost beat.

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Tue Mar 28, 2023 6:23 pm

RickRund wrote:
Man! Forty eight years ago since a Class A state championship. Dillon, Glendive and Lewistown with Class B enrollment have all had their moments. Twenty-twenty five Class A teams one would think they'd get more than participation ribbons.

grizzh8r
Golden Bobcat

Post by grizzh8r » Tue Mar 28, 2023 8:26 pm

cats2506 wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2023 5:30 pm
RickRund wrote:
They were in the semi-finals in 2012, run based offense with a couple of good big O linemen. Coach left and its been a dumpster fire since then.
I went to PHS late 90's early 2000's, as did a couple of other BN lurkers that actually played on the team. I didn't as I was too busy with other extracurricular activities (and duties back home at the ranch) to play. Plus I wasn't any good anyways. Seemed like most years, we were lucky to win one game (usually Browning).

At the risk of denigrating said lurkers (and my younger cousin who was a WR and DB for PHS), I can't remember a time in my youth when the Rangers were ever any good. Maybe in 1994 or 1995, they won 3 or 4 games. Had a good RB (Aaron O'Neal may have been his name?) and a decent QB.

@cats2506 is correct that they had a decent ground and pound offense for a couple of years in the 2010's, but that's only 2 out of the last 40-45 years. Pretty abysmal. BN pullout and LRC closure took a lot of blue collar jobs (and their tough, hard-nosed kids) away from Livingston. But hey, the soccer team is usually really good... :roll:

Eric Curry STILL makes me sad.
94VegasCat wrote:Are you for real? That is just a plain ol dumb paragraph! You just nailed every note in the Full Reetard sing-a-long choir!!!
:rofl:

cats2506
Golden Bobcat

Post by cats2506 » Wed Mar 29, 2023 11:19 am

grizzh8r wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2023 8:26 pm
cats2506 wrote:
RickRund wrote:
I went to PHS late 90's early 2000's, as did a couple of other BN lurkers that actually played on the team. I didn't as I was too busy with other extracurricular activities (and duties back home at the ranch) to play. Plus I wasn't any good anyways. Seemed like most years, we were lucky to win one game (usually Browning).

At the risk of denigrating said lurkers (and my younger cousin who was a WR and DB for PHS), I can't remember a time in my youth when the Rangers were ever any good. Maybe in 1994 or 1995, they won 3 or 4 games. Had a good RB (Aaron O'Neal may have been his name?) and a decent QB.

@cats2506 is correct that they had a decent ground and pound offense for a couple of years in the 2010's, but that's only 2 out of the last 40-45 years. Pretty abysmal. BN pullout and LRC closure took a lot of blue collar jobs (and their tough, hard-nosed kids) away from Livingston. But hey, the soccer team is usually really good... :roll:
Park has a good young wrestling coach and I was talking with him. Back in the day (70's and 80's) they were a highly regarded wrestling program, then they went through several years of mediocrity before this coach came on the scene a few years back. He says the same thing, the loss of the plant hurt them in the type of kids and families they have. He is building their program back up, but just doesn't have as many numbers to work with.

PlayerRep wrote:The point is not the record of the teams UM beat, it's the quality and record of the teams UM almost beat.

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Wed Mar 29, 2023 1:59 pm

cats2506 wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2023 11:19 am
grizzh8r wrote:
cats2506 wrote:
RickRund wrote:

Park has a good young wrestling coach and I was talking with him. Back in the day (70's and 80's) they were a highly regarded wrestling program, then they went through several years of mediocrity before this coach came on the scene a few years back. He says the same thing, the loss of the plant hurt them in the type of kids and families they have. He is building their program back up, but just doesn't have as many numbers to work with.
How could I forget about the BN move? Yes, that cut the legs out of Livingston.

I also did love going to wrestling meets. Good to hear it is coming back. How are other sports faring?

msubobcats@outlook.com

cats2506
Golden Bobcat

Post by cats2506 » Wed Mar 29, 2023 2:50 pm

RickRund wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2023 1:59 pm
cats2506 wrote:
grizzh8r wrote:
cats2506 wrote:
RickRund wrote:

I also did love going to wrestling meets. Good to hear it is coming back. How are other sports faring?
I really don't know about other sports, I mainly follow football and wrestling and don't live in that area anymore, I grew up in Wilsall, so not far from Livingston.

kmax
Site Admin

Post by kmax » Wed Mar 29, 2023 5:27 pm

RickRund wrote:
cats2506 wrote:
grizzh8r wrote:
cats2506 wrote:
RickRund wrote:

I dunno what you guys are talking about BobcatNation has never been based out of Livingston.

(I'll show myself out)

“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.” -- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Thu Mar 30, 2023 10:28 am

kmax wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2023 5:27 pm
RickRund wrote:
cats2506 wrote:
grizzh8r wrote:
cats2506 wrote:
RickRund wrote:

I dunno what you guys are talking about BobcatNation has never been based out of Livingston.

(I'll show myself out)
Drum roll :lol: :lol:

msubobcats@outlook.com

catamaran
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by catamaran » Thu Mar 30, 2023 3:29 pm

In all fairness, one of you was lol

if you're keeping score, France gave us Burgundy wine, cigarettes, berets, B.O., brie and the Napoleon complex-Bill Simmons

nevadacat
Member # Retired

Post by nevadacat » Mon Apr 10, 2023 7:53 am

grizzh8r wrote:
cats2506 wrote:
RickRund wrote:

Yes, Livingston won State A football in 75. Went to the championship game. Coldest game I can remember.

We were solid for a few years after, but the last hurrah was in 1979. We were cruising on our way to the playoffs and a Southern A title until a guy named Joe Bignell from Deer Lodge stopped us.

...for today we raise, the BLUE and GOLD to wave victorious!... GO CATS GO!

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Tue Apr 11, 2023 11:06 am

nevadacat wrote:
Mon Apr 10, 2023 7:53 am
grizzh8r wrote:
cats2506 wrote:
RickRund wrote:

Yes, Livingston won State A football in 75. Went to the championship game. Coldest game I can remember.

We were solid for a few years after, but the last hurrah was in 1979. We were cruising on our way to the playoffs and a Southern A title until a guy named Joe Bignell from Deer Lodge stopped us.
I was at the Columbia Falls semi game. Great time there. Schoonover had a great pregame, rah--rah speech.

The championship was in Cut Bank, correct? Did not make it there. Heard it was miserable, cold and windy.

msubobcats@outlook.com

nevadacat
Member # Retired

Post by nevadacat » Wed Apr 12, 2023 9:30 pm

RickRund wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2023 11:06 am
nevadacat wrote:
grizzh8r wrote:
cats2506 wrote:
RickRund wrote:

I was at the Columbia Falls semi game. Great time there. Schoonover had a great pregame, rah--rah speech.

The championship was in Cut Bank, correct? Did not make it there. Heard it was miserable, cold and windy.
You are probably right and I am mis-remembering. That was so long ago, but I know I wasn’t in Cut Bank (where it’s always cold and windy). I was sure it was a playoff game because additional bleachers were put outside the west end zone. Maybe it was regular season, I just remember it was damn cold.

Coach Schoonover was a legend, but I never had the honor of knowing him. I was with Bob Miller through junior year, then Garth Forney for senior year.

...for today we raise, the BLUE and GOLD to wave victorious!... GO CATS GO!

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Thu Apr 13, 2023 10:06 am

nevadacat wrote:
Wed Apr 12, 2023 9:30 pm
RickRund wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2023 11:06 am
nevadacat wrote:
grizzh8r wrote:
cats2506 wrote:
RickRund wrote:

You are probably right and I am mis-remembering. That was so long ago, but I know I wasn’t in Cut Bank (where it’s always cold and windy). I was sure it was a playoff game because additional bleachers were put outside the west end zone. Maybe it was regular season, I just remember it was damn cold.

Coach Schoonover was a legend, but I never had the honor of knowing him. I was with Bob Miller through junior year, then Garth Forney for senior year.
There were complaints I remember for Coach Schoonover as he seemed to not sub. His championship team, as I recollect, won most every game by pretty fair margins and the 2s for the most part were game time inexperienced. But he was a super guy. Really liked him.

When they brought in Bob Miller the thought was he would keep it going. His philosophy was not popular at all. I do not remember how his record was and I think he only lasted two seasons? I also really liked Bob.

Both Schoonover and Miller were enjoyable to sit down and talk to.

msubobcats@outlook.com

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Fri Apr 14, 2023 9:46 am

Livingston used to be so much fun! Still remember my uncles in the Gallatin Valley telling all of us kids to not get caught up over the hill after dark...

https://missoulian.com/livingstons-star ... 447f8.html

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Montanabob » Fri Apr 28, 2023 10:59 pm

Cat Grad wrote:
Fri Apr 14, 2023 9:46 am
Livingston used to be so much fun! Still remember my uncles in the Gallatin Valley telling all of us kids to not get caught up over the hill after dark...

https://missoulian.com/livingstons-star ... 447f8.html
My stepson played on the Livingston football team that made it to the football playoffs in 2011 for the first time since I was in highschool in the late 70's. I didn't go to park high.

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back