Bobcats open up as 21.5pt underdog @ Texas Tech

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

HawkAndBobcat
BobcatNation Redshirt

Bobcats open up as 21.5pt underdog @ Texas Tech

Post by HawkAndBobcat » Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:41 am

https://www.5dimes.eu/livelines/livelines.aspx#al_38

Hopefully we can cover the spread!

Go Cats!

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Re: Bobcats open up as 21.5pt underdog @ Texas Tech

Post by Cledus » Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:49 pm

HawkAndBobcat wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:41 am
https://www.5dimes.eu/livelines/livelines.aspx#al_38

Hopefully we can cover the spread!

Go Cats!
Even if TTU covers, I think they'll be very surprised and impressed with our athleticism. I don't think they'll be expecting guys like Scrempos, Sterk, Alleyne, and Andersen to blow their tits right off.

UM is the university equivalent of Axe Body Spray and essential oils.

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:18 pm

Not sure if you can do a comparison as it would probably be apples to oranges but I am looking at the Cougs game 3 years ago and we are above that level today. I also feel the Cougs may have been a touch better than TT. Not that we will win but feel it will be closer than many figure...

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cledus » Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:46 pm

RickRund wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:18 pm
Not sure if you can do a comparison as it would probably be apples to oranges but I am looking at the Cougs game 3 years ago and we are above that level today. I also feel the Cougs may have been a touch better than TT. Not that we will win but feel it will be closer than many figure...
I agree. I think if Bauman can keep his nerves in check and stay calm and focused we could cover.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:59 pm

I really think Texas Tech is going to try to boat race us. They have a new coach and a new system and they are going to try to excite the fan base. I have no idea what their talent level is and how it compares to us, but based purely on the new coach narrative, I think they are going to try to blow us out of the water and won't be playing many backups.

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:15 pm

wbtfg wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:59 pm
I really think Texas Tech is going to try to boat race us. They have a new coach and a new system and they are going to try to excite the fan base. I have no idea what their talent level is and how it compares to us, but based purely on the new coach narrative, I think they are going to try to blow us out of the water and won't be playing many backups.
Which is something that the Cougs did not seem to do. They seemed to play it close to the vest. Or so in my opinion. That is my one worry...

msubobcats@outlook.com

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Montanabob » Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:02 pm

\:D/ go for the win yes.
Better than the 36 points Idaho's given up

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

bobcatbob
Member # Retired

Post by bobcatbob » Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:41 pm

Cledus wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:46 pm
RickRund wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:18 pm
I agree. I think if Bauman can keep his nerves in check and stay calm and focused we could cover.
That is a huge IF Bauman can keep his nerves in check. It will be a key. He is going to experience pressure like he has never seen.

RobertoGato
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by RobertoGato » Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:44 am

Some of our esteemed internet colleagues over at eGriz.com predicted that if the mighty Griz can execute and avoid errors, they have a shot at toppling the Oregon Ducks!

Anyone over here feeling that special kind of stupid, or should we leave the idiocy to the west side of the divide?

JimboCat
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by JimboCat » Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:10 am

Historically, a 21.5 pt underdog has won the game about 5% of the time.

BobcatNation Letterman

Post by 110010110 » Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:11 am

RobertoGato wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:44 am
Some of our esteemed internet colleagues over at eGriz.com predicted that if the mighty Griz can execute and avoid errors, they have a shot at toppling the Oregon Ducks!

Anyone over here feeling that special kind of stupid, or should we leave the idiocy to the west side of the divide?
Cats have a considerably larger chance of beating Texas Tech then they have of beating Oregon. By a couple orders of magnitude I'd say. But still, we are a 21 point underdog for a reason. What that tells me is we need to "steal" 21 points just to have a fair shot.

Mr Lisle
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Mr Lisle » Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:22 am

RickRund wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:15 pm
wbtfg wrote:
Which is something that the Cougs did not seem to do. They seemed to play it close to the vest. Or so in my opinion. That is my one worry...
I hate to be "that guy", but actually the Cougs sucked in 2010. It was Paul Wulffs first year. I was at that game and I think he threw everything he had at it. I could see a bit of panic on his face as the clock was running down and the Cats were driving to close the deal. That "untimely" interception and long run back killed us. "If not for that".....as they say. I went home feeling the Cougs were out-played and out-coached. The Cougs managed to go 2-10, beating Oregon State late in the season.
Texas Tech, on the other hand, is a genuine Big 12 contender. This one will definitely be a bigger mountain.

The MICKSTER
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by The MICKSTER » Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:29 am

For what it's worth....for the next 2 weeks Highs in Lubbock are forecast to be between 88 & 107 with SA Aug 31st being 88.

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:35 am

Mr Lisle wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:22 am
RickRund wrote:
wbtfg wrote:
I hate to be "that guy", but actually the Cougs sucked in 2010. It was Paul Wulffs first year. I was at that game and I think he threw everything he had at it. I could see a bit of panic on his face as the clock was running down and the Cats were driving to close the deal. That "untimely" interception and long run back killed us. "If not for that".....as they say. I went home feeling the Cougs were out-played and out-coached. The Cougs managed to go 2-10, beating Oregon State late in the season.
Texas Tech, on the other hand, is a genuine Big 12 contender. This one will definitely be a bigger mountain.
I was talking about the 2017 game... Where we lost 31-0.

msubobcats@outlook.com

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:17 am

As far as FBS defenses go, TTU isn't great. Not saying they are bad but I think they are a decent one to face for CB's 1st start. They lost 4 safeties to graduation and have almost no experience at the position. Their corners have experience but the secondary was their big weakness last year, which is good for us and CB. They lost 2 of their most productive LBs to graduation and have very little experience at OLB. Jordyn Brooks at ILB and Broderick Washington on the DL are the 2 players that we should really be worried about. They have experience on the DL but it isn't a blow you away unit. I don't think we will win, but i don't think we are going to be embarrassed either.

Rich K
Golden Bobcat

Post by Rich K » Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:27 am

I think we'll cover the spread, easy. I just don't see Texas Tech as a team that will overwhelm this Bobcat unit. While it's not out of the question for TT to challenge for the Big 12, it's more likely that they finish in the bottom half. This is a 5-7 win Texas Tech team, not according to me, but according to a bunch of Tech fans here: https://247sports.com/college/texas-tec ... 34/?Page=2

My head prediction: TT 32 MSU 23
My heart prediction: MSU 32 TT 23

Favorite name of a law: Millstone Act

Mr Lisle
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Mr Lisle » Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:55 am

:yawn:
RickRund wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:35 am
Mr Lisle wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:22 am
RickRund wrote:
wbtfg wrote:
I was talking about the 2017 game... Where we lost 31-0.oh
oh. Of course. Seems as time goes by it's easier to remember what happened last week than what happened yesterday. :yawn: :sleep:

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:06 am

I wonder what the oddsmakers would have for a TT, NDSU match up? I'd guess they'd probably have that one about even.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cledus » Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:22 am

catatac wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:06 am
I wonder what the oddsmakers would have for a TT, NDSU match up? I'd guess they'd probably have that one about even.
I just ran a simulation and it had Texas Tech, 35-27. I think NDSU would win. I just don't see how these simulators measure and account for intangibles and qualitative factors. I'd bet in every year NDSU has beaten an FBS school all the simulations had the FBS school winning, except for the years NDSU played the Goofers.

Compughter Ratings Simulator

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Montanabob » Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:14 pm

Cledus wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:22 am
catatac wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:06 am
I just ran a simulation and it had Texas Tech, 35-27. I think NDSU would win. I just don't see how these simulators measure and account for intangibles and qualitative factors. I'd bet in every year NDSU has beaten an FBS school all the simulations had the FBS school winning, except for the years NDSU played the Goofers.

Compughter Ratings Simulator
Well surprise, surprise - they have the Brawl of the Wild at 28-30, MSU wins.....

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back