Second scrimmage thread

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Re: Second scrimmage thread

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:07 am

FTG_1984
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by FTG_1984 » Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:43 am

TomCat88 wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 4:23 am

It’s unlikely that he becomes the full time starting quarterback simply because MSU will be able to win games without him there and the further into the season MSU goes, the better Bauman will get.
Disagree. The above is a feel-good statement that does not reflect reality in my opinion. TA will be primarily at the helm by Week 5 I believe. And his 'stache will guide us to the Big Sky title hopefully.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:00 am

FTG_1984 wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:43 am
TomCat88 wrote:

It’s unlikely that he becomes the full time starting quarterback simply because MSU will be able to win games without him there and the further into the season MSU goes, the better Bauman will get.
Disagree. The above is a feel-good statement that does not reflect reality in my opinion. TA will be primarily at the helm by Week 5 I believe. And his 'stache will guide us to the Big Sky title hopefully.
No he won't, and it's not a stache. C'mon.

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:16 am

FTG_1984 wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:

Your "reality" is an opinion same as TomCats. Until the season actually starts it's all opinion right now.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:36 am

FTG_1984 wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:

From what I’m being told it looks like Bauman will take anywhere between 40 and 70 percent of the snaps depending on the opponent. There’s a wide variety of plays and some don’t involve Bauman.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

Caturday
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Caturday » Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:41 am

I think if the coaches are forced to move Troy to QB later in the season it’s a lose-lose for the Cats. Troy would absolutely win us some games, but we’d lose the downfield passing attack we’ve been yearning for to make our offense two dimensional. Our defense would take a hit too. Our LB corps was a disappointment last year and removing Troy from those ranks definitely pushes that group more toward a question mark for the defense. The return of Hill and the continued development of the young guys gives me a lot of hope, but it’s still a mostly unproven part of the defense.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:53 am

The saying goes, if you have two quarterbacks, you don’t have a quarterback.

I don’t know if there’s a saying for what you have if you have six quarterbacks.

From what I’m told MSU will use Bauman, Jonsen, Rovig, Andersen, Patterson, and Kassis. Maybe Williams, too.

I’m also told they may rotate every snap at times.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

Darth Yoda
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Darth Yoda » Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:20 am

Troy will be exactly what we saw in the first series. He can line up in the slot for Jet, bubbles, and wheels, and he can line up at wildcat for RPO. Or he can simple line up at a standard RB like his freshman year, but I don't think we will see much of that (if at all).

Some defenses will be particularly weak to this style of downhill running and we'll see more of it. Some defenses will be weak through the air and we'll see Bauman to what Rovig did to Wagner. It won't ever be as binary as some posters are making it out to be, meaning there won't be a single moment where all of a sudden TA is our QB like last year. Perhaps Rovig gets ahead of Bauman at some point, but there's no way we revert back to last year's offense with full time TA at QB. No chance.

One of the objectives yesterday is to find out who operates the offense in case CB and TR with go down. Personally I think Beltran did plenty to win the #3, and we will be ok in that calamity situation. It's worth noting that Knight looked really good at times. He's in the conversation, but Beltran has the experience on him for now. Again, even in that disaster scenario, it will still be the same offense with TA as a package guy and Beltran as the QB.

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:26 am

TomCat88 wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:53 am
The saying goes, if you have two quarterbacks, you don’t have a quarterback.

I don’t know if there’s a saying for what you have if you have six quarterbacks.

From what I’m told MSU will use Bauman, Jonsen, Rovig, Andersen, Patterson, and Kassis. Maybe Williams, too.

I’m also told they may rotate every snap at times.
I don't mind the fact we may be mixing guys in all the time, but I really hope we don't keep CB off the field for extended periods of time just to switch things up. It's hard to be consistent if you take a full series off every couple/few series.

It's also important to be smart about when we make the switch. I hate when the offense is rolling then the QB is taken out for some gimmick plays and the momentum stops.

Long Time Cat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Long Time Cat » Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:20 pm

What way the attendance yesterday? How does that compare to previous years? I think you can learn something about fan enthusiasm by scrimmage attendance.

"Confidence is contagious. So is a lack of confidence." Vince Lombardi

DriscollCat

Post by DriscollCat » Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:56 pm

Long Time Cat wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:20 pm
What way the attendance yesterday? How does that compare to previous years? I think you can learn something about fan enthusiasm by scrimmage attendance.
My wife and I thought there were a couple hundred in the stands. The only other scrimmage we’ve been to was the Sunny Holland Classic in the spring of 2018. There seemed to be more people at this one in our estimation.

bobcatbob
Member # Retired

Post by bobcatbob » Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:22 pm

Darth Yoda wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:20 am
Troy will be exactly what we saw in the first series. He can line up in the slot for Jet, bubbles, and wheels, and he can line up at wildcat for RPO. Or he can simple line up at a standard RB like his freshman year, but I don't think we will see much of that (if at all).

Some defenses will be particularly weak to this style of downhill running and we'll see more of it. Some defenses will be weak through the air and we'll see Bauman to what Rovig did to Wagner. It won't ever be as binary as some posters are making it out to be, meaning there won't be a single moment where all of a sudden TA is our QB like last year. Perhaps Rovig gets ahead of Bauman at some point, but there's no way we revert back to last year's offense with full time TA at QB. No chance.

One of the objectives yesterday is to find out who operates the offense in case CB and TR with go down. Personally I think Beltran did plenty to win the #3, and we will be ok in that calamity situation. It's worth noting that Knight looked really good at times. He's in the conversation, but Beltran has the experience on him for now. Again, even in that disaster scenario, it will still be the same offense with TA as a package guy and Beltran as the QB.
I thought Beltran looked very good yesterday. He is very poised. Fundamentally very sound. Doesn't make mistakes. He was a winner at a high level in HS and was the type of QB that made things happen. He would be fine given the opportunity.

Caturday
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Caturday » Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:24 pm

Having all these extra running QB options, Troy, Travis, Kassis, Amandre, could really help Casey ease into the starting QB role knowing he has some help.

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:26 pm

Caturday wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:24 pm
Having all these extra running QB options, Troy, Travis, Kassis, Amandre, could really help Casey ease into the starting QB role knowing he has some help.
It should at least give them a little hesitation.

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:38 pm

Long Time Cat wrote:
This is the widest angle crowd picture that I have. There were more in the last lower section to my left, and quite a few more seated in the upper part of the grandstand. I am guessing at maybe 300+ in attendance? I have not been to a lot of these but this was the best turnout I have seen, and good plays were certainly applauded.

superbobcat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by superbobcat » Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:57 pm

I think we pounded TA plenty last year. I would prefer that his shoulder gets plenty of opportunity to heal before we bounce him to multiple positions. Reading what Grant Collins went through with his shoulders, I would hope Troy can avoid that and finish these next two years in productive fashion.

superbobcat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by superbobcat » Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:57 pm

I think we pounded TA plenty last year. I would prefer that his shoulder gets plenty of opportunity to heal before we bounce him to multiple positions. Reading what Grant Collins went through with his shoulders, I would hope Troy can avoid that and finish these next two years in productive fashion.

DriscollCat

Post by DriscollCat » Sun Aug 18, 2019 4:04 pm

Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:38 pm
Long Time Cat wrote:
This is the widest angle crowd picture that I have. There were more in the last lower section to my left, and quite a few more seated in the upper part of the grandstand. I am guessing at maybe 300+ in attendance? I have not been to a lot of these but this was the best turnout I have seen, and good plays were certainly applauded.

I panned over the crowd early in this video of the scrimmage, if that helps to give you an idea:

GoCats18
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by GoCats18 » Sun Aug 18, 2019 4:25 pm

Is it still looking like Bailey will be the main kicker? Did he have a lot of touchbacks last year? I know the focus has been on QB and LB, but I really hope they spent a good deal of time working on kick coverage. We weren’t very good at that last season

Punters are people too!!

DriscollCat

Post by DriscollCat » Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:09 pm

GoCats18 wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 4:25 pm
Is it still looking like Bailey will be the main kicker? Did he have a lot of touchbacks last year? I know the focus has been on QB and LB, but I really hope they spent a good deal of time working on kick coverage. We weren’t very good at that last season
He hit two 50 yard FGs, so I’m sure he’s still looking at keeping his place kicker position.

I don’t remember any touchbacks.