2019 Polls

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

GRIZFNZ
BobcatNation Team Captain

Re: 2019 Polls

Post by GRIZFNZ » Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:17 am

BleedingBLue wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 8:17 pm
91catAlum wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 5:41 pm
Mr Lisle wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 3:36 pm
AFCAT wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 1:22 pm
Mr Lisle wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 8:43 am
I would never discourage anyone from romping on the griz, but in reality they lost three games by a total of ten points. One of those was the last "no play" of the game vs. the Cats . "Coulda-shoulda 9-2". They deserve our attention.
Well, they also won two of their games by a total of ten points. If you are going to count their close losses as possible wins, then shouldn't you also count their close wins as possible losses? They coulda-shoulda been 4-7.
Yep, that too..but one of those wins was over then #13 Northern Iowa 26-23.
Obviously UNI was overrated in the preseason polls, since they finished out of the top 25 and out of the playoffs.
And, that was the first game of the season and first game back for Hauck. Nobody had any film on them yet. The griz jumped out to a 26-0 lead in the first half, and in typical 2018 Griz form, lost the 2nd half 23-0. So yes they got the win but it wasn't as good as you make it sound.

I'm sure the griz will have a decent team next year, and Sneed is a playmaker who will give them a chance in any game. But they are not currently a top 4 team in the conference.
UNI made the playoffs and won their 1st round game, then lost to Davis by 7.

The Griz are definitely overrated though. Not gonna be in the top 25 in other polls that know more about FCS.
Looks like you whiffed on that prediction

wapiti

Post by wapiti » Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:39 am

GRIZFNZ wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:17 am
BleedingBLue wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
Mr Lisle wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
Mr Lisle wrote:
I would never discourage anyone from romping on the griz, but in reality they lost three games by a total of ten points. One of those was the last "no play" of the game vs. the Cats . "Coulda-shoulda 9-2". They deserve our attention.
Well, they also won two of their games by a total of ten points. If you are going to count their close losses as possible wins, then shouldn't you also count their close wins as possible losses? They coulda-shoulda been 4-7.
Obviously UNI was overrated in the preseason polls, since they finished out of the top 25 and out of the playoffs.
And, that was the first game of the season and first game back for Hauck. Nobody had any film on them yet. The griz jumped out to a 26-0 lead in the first half, and in typical 2018 Griz form, lost the 2nd half 23-0. So yes they got the win but it wasn't as good as you make it sound.

I'm sure the griz will have a decent team next year, and Sneed is a playmaker who will give them a chance in any game. But they are not currently a top 4 team in the conference.

The Griz are definitely overrated though. Not gonna be in the top 25 in other polls that know more about FCS.
This Cat fan thinks the Griz are top 25 material. Plus I would not be surprised to see the Griz move up the polls and finish the season in the top 15.

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:55 am

GRIZFNZ wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:17 am
BleedingBLue wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
Mr Lisle wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
Mr Lisle wrote:

I sure did! Good on ya for taking the time to dig up the post from 3 months ago on a rival fan sight though =D^

technoCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by technoCat » Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:07 am

If the Griz can figure out how to finish games, they have the talent to be top 25. That said its really hard to believe they will figure that out with the murderer's row of a schedule they have. If they make the playoffs, I will be incredibly impressed.

DIE HARD CATS FAN SINCE THE DAY I WAS BORN

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:48 am

technoCat wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:07 am
If the Griz can figure out how to finish games, they have the talent to be top 25. That said its really hard to believe they will figure that out with the murderer's row of a schedule they have. If they make the playoffs, I will be incredibly impressed.
This. The IMO the Griz probably WILL be a top 25 team in the land, but I don't think they'll show up that way in the polls, except maybe in the 20-25 range by the end. This is because they have to play at least four teams that are in the top 10, and Oregon.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

Prodigal Cat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Prodigal Cat » Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:44 pm

The Griz are one the few teams in the FCS that lose games and move UP in the polls the following week. Saying they won't be ranked shows you are kinda new at this. They could start 1-3 and would still be getting votes.

Brewer/Owner Copper Furrow Brewing

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:07 pm

Prodigal Cat wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:44 pm
The Griz are one the few teams in the FCS that lose games and move UP in the polls the following week. Saying they won't be ranked shows you are kinda new at this. They could start 1-3 and would still be getting votes.
There must still be a lot of voters that were around in the late 90s / early 00s. Once those guys retire the griz might stop getting grandfathered into the top 25.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

GoCats18
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by GoCats18 » Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:00 pm

I think where UM is going to struggle, is that this is not the same Big Sky Conference and not the same FCS that Bobby coached in the first time. He was handed a hell of a team, with a hell of a tradition, that had a hell of an upper hand on most teams. That isn’t the case anymore. I just don’t think he is the coach for this job anymore. The coaches and teams around him are a lot better now then they were back then.

Punters are people too!!

Marana CAT

Post by Marana CAT » Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:23 am

Prodigal Cat wrote:
The Griz are more likely to start 3-1 then 1-3. Worst case is 2-2.
@ S. Dakota - W
N. Bama - W
@ Oregon - L
Monmouth - W
@ UCD - L
IDS - W
@ SAC St. - W
EWU - L
@ PSU - W
Idaho - W
Weber - W
@ MSU - L

Bottom line this is a dangerous team that should not be over looked. If somehow they can knock off UCD or EWU in the first half of conference play confidence on that team will be over the top. If Sneed stays healthy they will have an outside chance to win every game except Oregon.

7-5 no playoffs is likely finish.
***Looking at last year however they could just as easy drop their last 4 games....Really hard team to predict right now.

"Sticks and stones may break my bones, but I will kick you repeatedly in the balls, Gardocki!"

Catsrgrood
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Catsrgrood » Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:41 am

GoCats18 wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:00 pm
I think where UM is going to struggle, is that this is not the same Big Sky Conference and not the same FCS that Bobby coached in the first time. He was handed a hell of a team, with a hell of a tradition, that had a hell of an upper hand on most teams. That isn’t the case anymore. I just don’t think he is the coach for this job anymore. The coaches and teams around him are a lot better now then they were back then.
Count me as one of the people that is not a big fan of Hauck, he just rubs me the wrong way.

With that being said, he’s a good coach at this level and it’s proven. I think he’ll have that team in the conversation for top 3-5 teams in the Big Sky for as long as he’s there. Maybe it won’t be what it was his last go around where he only lost a handful of Big Sky games in 5 years or whatever it was, but I think it’s wishful thinking that he’s going to outright fail this time.
UM is going to be a good team this year, their schedule is just tough. I’ve predicted 7-5 for them myself, but if they get a couple breaks(like they always seemed to get his last go around) it’s not unthinkable that they could be 8-4, even 9-3.

If they make the playoffs this year they will have earned it without a doubt.

All that being said, not much would make me happier than to see them piss away games in the 4th quarter again this year and go 5-7, 6-6.

I’m just not holding my breath that is going to happen though.

cats2506
Golden Bobcat

Post by cats2506 » Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:59 am

Marana CAT wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:23 am
Prodigal Cat wrote:
@ S. Dakota - W
N. Bama - W
@ Oregon - L
Monmouth - W
@ UCD - L
IDS - W
@ SAC St. - W
EWU - L
@ PSU - W
Idaho - W
Weber - W
@ MSU - L

Bottom line this is a dangerous team that should not be over looked. If somehow they can knock off UCD or EWU in the first half of conference play confidence on that team will be over the top. If Sneed stays healthy they will have an outside chance to win every game except Oregon.

***Looking at last year however they could just as easy drop their last 4 games....Really hard team to predict right now.
I expect them to go 2-2
S. Dakota (MVC) will play them tough, Monmouth and N. Alabama ate not pushovers, um will drop one of the 3 games

PlayerRep wrote:The point is not the record of the teams UM beat, it's the quality and record of the teams UM almost beat.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:05 pm

cats2506 wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:59 am
Marana CAT wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:23 am
Prodigal Cat wrote:
@ S. Dakota - W
N. Bama - W
@ Oregon - L
Monmouth - W
@ UCD - L
IDS - W
@ SAC St. - W
EWU - L
@ PSU - W
Idaho - W
Weber - W
@ MSU - L

I expect them to go 2-2
S. Dakota (MVC) will play them tough, Monmouth and N. Alabama ate not pushovers, um will drop one of the 3 games
Agree. Literally do not see one game on that schedule where I'd be surprised to see the Griz lose. Especially after watching them lose to PSU last year. Ya, ya, the Griz will be better in 2019 but that PSU game was in Missoula, and PSU will be better in 2019 too.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:50 pm

Catsrgrood wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:41 am
GoCats18 wrote:
Count me as one of the people that is not a big fan of Hauck, he just rubs me the wrong way.

With that being said, he’s a good coach at this level and it’s proven. I think he’ll have that team in the conversation for top 3-5 teams in the Big Sky for as long as he’s there. Maybe it won’t be what it was his last go around where he only lost a handful of Big Sky games in 5 years or whatever it was, but I think it’s wishful thinking that he’s going to outright fail this time.
UM is going to be a good team this year, their schedule is just tough. I’ve predicted 7-5 for them myself, but if they get a couple breaks(like they always seemed to get his last go around) it’s not unthinkable that they could be 8-4, even 9-3.

All that being said, not much would make me happier than to see them piss away games in the 4th quarter again this year and go 5-7, 6-6.

Totally agree. Despite what many griz fans believe, Bobby isn’t just strolling in and dominating the league anymore. It’s not happening. But he’s a great coach and will have that team competing for conference titles about every year. But I think many maroon fans are going to be disappointed if they think they’ll only lose a few games every 4-5 years like they used to do.

codecat
Member # Retired

Post by codecat » Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:52 pm

Catsrgrood wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:41 am
GoCats18 wrote:

Totally agree: I don't care for Hauck either but he is a proven coach who knows what it takes to have success at this level. Anyone that can continue to recruit and maintain a team that is producing, as he did before, knows what it looks like and how to build it too.

London Bridge is falling down, falling down, falling down, London Bridge is falling down, Bye-Bye Fauci!

wapiti

Post by wapiti » Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:17 pm

An odds maker has at 10th and Montana at 22
I think that is a bit high for us and about right for UM.

https://herosports.com/fcs/football-201 ... -odds-bzbz

WolfPtCat

Post by WolfPtCat » Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:31 pm

NDSU at +250......I'd throw at $100 at that.....not sure when the last time the NYSE had a 150% return in 6 months

The MICKSTER
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by The MICKSTER » Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:52 pm

catatac wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:48 am
technoCat wrote:
This. The IMO the Griz probably WILL be a top 25 team in the land, but I don't think they'll show up that way in the polls, except maybe in the 20-25 range by the end. This is because they have to play at least four teams that are in the top 10, and Oregon.
Look at it this way....last year with a very favorable schedule they finished 4-4 in the conference. Even if they improve with this years schedule I think their chances of being 4-4 again are better than them being 5-3. They most likely won't be favored @UCD, EWU, WSU, @MSU, and what's not to say they lay another egg like they did @UND & PSU last year and lose @PSU & ISU this year. Their opener at South Dakota (picked to finish 6th out of 10 in the MVFC) could be a good indicator of how their season will go.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:30 pm

The MICKSTER wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:52 pm
catatac wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:48 am
technoCat wrote:
Look at it this way....last year with a very favorable schedule they finished 4-4 in the conference. Even if they improve with this years schedule I think their chances of being 4-4 again are better than them being 5-3. They most likely won't be favored @UCD, EWU, WSU, @MSU, and what's not to say they lay another egg like they did @UND & PSU last year and lose @PSU & ISU this year. Their opener at South Dakota (picked to finish 6th out of 10 in the MVFC) could be a good indicator of how their season will go.
Ya. Someone forces me to bet $1,000 - they go 7-5. 6-6 or 8-4 possible but I'd be completely shocked to see them go 9-3.

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:52 am

From the Gazette: "Montana State came in at No. 15 in the preseason Top 25 of the American Football Coaches Association FCS poll released Monday. MSU, coming off an 8-5 season that included a playoff berth, received 271 points.

Montana, which went 6-5 last season in Bobby Hauck's first year back as head coach, received 52 points but was not ranked in the poll."

The MICKSTER
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by The MICKSTER » Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:09 am

catatac wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:30 pm
Ya. Someone forces me to bet $1,000 - they go 7-5. 6-6 or 8-4 possible but I'd be completely shocked to see them go 9-3.

Regarding 9-3, they'll lose to Oregon, so that would mean of the remaining games which include @UCD, EWU, WSU, @MSU plus trap games of @PSU & ISU they would be 4-2 plus win their other 5 as well. I suppose it could happen. Kate Upton could also become my mistress. My guess.....neither will.
Last edited by The MICKSTER on Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.