QB Update

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Re: QB Update

Post by iaafan » Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:58 pm

RobertoGato wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:39 pm
iaafan wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:18 pm
RobertoGato wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:12 pm
iaafan wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:24 am
IMHO even if Andersen was currently taking full reps at quarterback, I doubt he’d beat out Rovig or Bauman. Rovig probably would’ve eventually replaced Andersen last year had he not been injured prior to the Idaho game.
I think the opposite.

I am of the opinion that the only reason Andersen is not the starting QB is his wish to play defense. Had TA chosen otherwise, I don't think either Rovig or Bauman would have had a prayer of unseating him.
I’d probably agree if I didn’t feel very confident that Choate was set to start Rovig vs Idaho and the simple fact that Troy isn’t a strong enough threat to pass the ball and was asked to spend absolutely no time working on that aspect during the off-season. If there was a strong chance of Andersen starting at QB, he would’ve been asked to put in some prep work or go to a QB-Specific camp.
To clarify, I'm talking about a hypothetical scenario in which Andersen chooses at the end of the 2018 season that he will pursue QB and spends the off-season preparing to that end.

I also think Andersen could jump in any time be wanted to and take the job back, but that's obviously more of a leap and derives mostly from my low opinion of Rovig.

One question has always bothered me about the alleged plan to start Rovig from ID forward: if that was what they had decided, why did he get hurt in practice leading up to that game while running the scout team?
Per Choate, Rovig got stepped on during the inside run period of practice. I highly doubt Rovig spent any time running the scout team. I would guess Beltran was the scout team QB all year. Bauman probably did as well before Rovig was hurt. The only reason they’d have Rovig as scout QB is if he was similar to the other teams starter. I’d say Beltran is closer to Petrino, so it seems highly unlikely that Rovig (the #2 QB at the time) would be running the scout team, especially during the inside run period. They probably just needed someone to hand the ball off and he was taking his turn.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:10 pm

iaafan wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:58 pm
RobertoGato wrote:
iaafan wrote:
RobertoGato wrote:
iaafan wrote:
IMHO even if Andersen was currently taking full reps at quarterback, I doubt he’d beat out Rovig or Bauman. Rovig probably would’ve eventually replaced Andersen last year had he not been injured prior to the Idaho game.
I think the opposite.

I am of the opinion that the only reason Andersen is not the starting QB is his wish to play defense. Had TA chosen otherwise, I don't think either Rovig or Bauman would have had a prayer of unseating him.
I’d probably agree if I didn’t feel very confident that Choate was set to start Rovig vs Idaho and the simple fact that Troy isn’t a strong enough threat to pass the ball and was asked to spend absolutely no time working on that aspect during the off-season. If there was a strong chance of Andersen starting at QB, he would’ve been asked to put in some prep work or go to a QB-Specific camp.
To clarify, I'm talking about a hypothetical scenario in which Andersen chooses at the end of the 2018 season that he will pursue QB and spends the off-season preparing to that end.

I also think Andersen could jump in any time be wanted to and take the job back, but that's obviously more of a leap and derives mostly from my low opinion of Rovig.

One question has always bothered me about the alleged plan to start Rovig from ID forward: if that was what they had decided, why did he get hurt in practice leading up to that game while running the scout team?
Per Choate, Rovig got stepped on during the inside run period of practice. I highly doubt Rovig spent any time running the scout team. I would guess Beltran was the scout team QB all year. Bauman probably did as well before Rovig was hurt. The only reason they’d have Rovig as scout QB is if he was similar to the other teams starter. I’d say Beltran is closer to Petrino, so it seems highly unlikely that Rovig (the #2 QB at the time) would be running the scout team, especially during the inside run period. They probably just needed someone to hand the ball off and he was taking his turn.
“Last Tuesday in our inside run period he got stepped on,” Choate explained. “It was kind of an unfortunate deal.” (From Gazette after Idaho game). {posted this about 12 pages ago.}

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

RobertoGato
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by RobertoGato » Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:49 pm

iaafan wrote:
RobertoGato wrote:
iaafan wrote:
RobertoGato wrote:
iaafan wrote:
I think the opposite.

All I can say is that after the injury, Brooks and Kolter Nuanez did a podcast in which they openly wondered why Rovig was running that period if he was really being groomed as a starter, as it's not a typical a starter runs that. Maybe I'm misremembering when I say "scout team," but I do know for certain that it was noted as curious that a starter would be in that position to begin with.

Halfcat
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Halfcat » Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:18 pm

Insert beat a dead horse emoji. TA could walk into Choate or Miller’s Office tomorrow and ask for the QB position and our QB#1 question would be settled. He wouldn’t have to bring the majority of the team with him for support either. He was given a choice and chose defense. TG is still smiling about it. (Although others not so much)

2019...🏆

Halfcat
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Halfcat » Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:20 pm

Bauman has a stronger arm and moves better than Rovig, but the game hasn’t quite slowed down for him yet. If it does, jackpot. If not Rovig will do just fine.

2019...🏆

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:24 pm

RobertoGato wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:49 pm
iaafan wrote:
RobertoGato wrote:
iaafan wrote:
RobertoGato wrote:
iaafan wrote:
I think the opposite.

All I can say is that after the injury, Brooks and Kolter Nuanez did a podcast in which they openly wondered why Rovig was running that period if he was really being groomed as a starter, as it's not a typical a starter runs that. Maybe I'm misremembering when I say "scout team," but I do know for certain that it was noted as curious that a starter would be in that position to begin with.
It's Colter, not Coulter, Kolter, or any other variation that's been posted here.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:39 pm

RobertoGato wrote:
iaafan wrote:
RobertoGato wrote:
iaafan wrote:
RobertoGato wrote:
iaafan wrote:
I think the opposite.

It doesn't strike me as all that odd. The inside run period sounds like something that is geared toward the running backs, which lends itself to what you're saying, but the coaches may have wanted Rovig to take as many snaps as possible to get as ready as possible. Doesn't that also sound reasonable? Brooks and Colter do a great job, but that doesn't mean that when they're wondering about something or find it odd, that it actually is. If they're wondering it's probably because it was a shame that it happened it means they really don't know, so they're discussing all the possibilities. They can either do that or do nothing, but if they don't have anything to talk about they don't keep their readers coming back for more. They're in the business of finding things intriguing to talk and write about.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:53 pm

RobertoGato wrote:
iaafan wrote:
RobertoGato wrote:
iaafan wrote:
I think the opposite.

Rovig was hurt during a running drill. Somebody stepped on his foot. There was no scout team involved.

RobertoGato

Post by RobertoGato » Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:01 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:53 pm
RobertoGato wrote:
iaafan wrote:
RobertoGato wrote:
iaafan wrote:
I think the opposite.

Rovig was hurt during a running drill. Somebody stepped on his foot. There was no scout team involved.
Again, in covering the injury for Big Sky Breakdown, it was specifically said that he was running a drill that a starter does not typically run. I'm not claiming to have been there or to have special knowledge, but that's how it was covered by an outlet that I find reliable and it raised a question in my mind.

RobertoGato

Post by RobertoGato » Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:11 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:39 pm
RobertoGato wrote:
iaafan wrote:
RobertoGato wrote:
iaafan wrote:
RobertoGato wrote:
iaafan wrote:
I think the opposite.

It doesn't strike me as all that odd. The inside run period sounds like something that is geared toward the running backs, which lends itself to what you're saying, but the coaches may have wanted Rovig to take as many snaps as possible to get as ready as possible. Doesn't that also sound reasonable? Brooks and Colter do a great job, but that doesn't mean that when they're wondering about something or find it odd, that it actually is. If they're wondering it's probably because it was a shame that it happened it means they really don't know, so they're discussing all the possibilities. They can either do that or do nothing, but if they don't have anything to talk about they don't keep their readers coming back for more. They're in the business of finding things intriguing to talk and write about.
Yes, that sounds reasonably possible.

And sure-- it's not like the Nuanez Bros. are omniscient when it comes to the goings on of the football team.

Which is why it raises a question in my mind, as opposed to drawing a conclusion. I am not dogmatically saying that Rovig was never going to be the starter. I just have some doubts.

A lot of the actions around the QB position since Murray was lost the first time seem to run counter to the opinions that many fans have about him. So I have questions that unfortunately we can't really answer.

lutecat
Member # Retired

Post by lutecat » Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:17 pm

Halfcat wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:18 pm
Insert beat a dead horse emoji. TA could walk into Choate or Miller’s Office tomorrow and ask for the QB position and our QB#1 question would be settled. He wouldn’t have to bring the majority of the team with him for support either. He was given a choice and chose defense. TG is still smiling about it. (Although others not so much)
Why is Ty smiling?

DriscollCat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by DriscollCat » Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:09 am

If you guys aren’t following the stuff I’ve been putting together for @CelticCat and @Common Cat for their podcast, the R&R Cat Cast, there is lots of insight coming out of it. I have attended at least some of each practice this week, and I’ve been sharing thoughts, and audio and video of the post practice interviews.

Here is the full video of yesterday’s interview with Coach Choate (where he addresses the QB battle):

Follow @rrcatcast on Twitter for the most timely updates.

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:44 am

Thanks for posting some of this stuff on here @DriscollCat. Love that we can actually hear the questions being asked too! What are some of your biggest takeaways so far from what you have seen at practice?

technoCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by technoCat » Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:01 am

I just want to say that I enjoy listening to Choate talk football so much. He's probably my favorite coach anywhere to listen to. Ash was just so rinse and repeat with how he spoke and Kramer was almost too much a lot of the time.

DIE HARD CATS FAN SINCE THE DAY I WAS BORN

DriscollCat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by DriscollCat » Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:07 am

BleedingBLue wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:44 am
Thanks for posting some of this stuff on here @DriscollCat. Love that we can actually hear the questions being asked too! What are some of your biggest takeaways so far from what you have seen at practice?
Happy to, @BleedingBLue! It’s hard to get the questions and the answers unless you have more than one mic and most of the journalists just bring a handheld recorder, so I definitely get why they aren’t usually very loud.

I’m going to be a guest on the R&R Cat Cast, so I’ll save some of my more interesting takes for that, but I’ll share a couple of thoughts.

First, I should say that I am not proficient at analyzing football and so everything I share is an amateur take and just my opinion.

I would say that the guys look great coming back into camp. Lots of guys are bigger and leaner, but that’s not news to anyone who follows Colter. Jaharie Martin is one who really stands out to me as being a really thick, really well put together player.

I think I mentioned before that the D looked seriously stout even without Scrempos and Amandre. In fact, the 2nd team D looked stellar against the 2nd team O. Run game looks really good.

Lots of good effort and hustle. The atmosphere is relatively lighthearted, especially among the offensive linemen. Choate seemed to be in a really good mood yesterday. Coaching staff does a good job of giving both praise and criticism.

superbobcat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by superbobcat » Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:21 am

No matter who the QB is, Bauman or Rovig, I believe we are going to see the offensive sets and style that Coach Choate wanted to run to begin with. Pieces are now in place to plug and play much better than they were before. It takes time to mature and develop into a high level player. Listen to the interviews with the exception of QB we now have veteran guys being backed up by young talent and hungry to play. Once the QB position settles we are there, IMO. Young QB will require patience, lean on our veterans, and away we go.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:36 am

Don't forget, Bauman is currently on pace to be MSU's all-time leader in completion percentage.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:37 am

wbtfg wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:36 am
Don't forget, Bauman is currently on pace to be MSU's all-time leader in completion percentage.
In that case, he shouldn't play so that he keeps his record.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:39 am

bobcat99 wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:37 am
wbtfg wrote:
Solid point. That's what I like about you. You're playing chess while the rest of us are playing checkers.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:26 am

wbtfg wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:39 am
bobcat99 wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:37 am
wbtfg wrote:
Solid point. That's what I like about you. You're playing chess while the rest of us are playing checkers.
Reminds me of the Seinfeld bit where George starts quitting while he's ahead. Gotta quit on a high note!