Troy Andersen

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Troy Andersen

Post by PapaG » Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:05 pm

I posted before that he reminds me a lot of Ryan Nall at Oregon State, and no, it's only because of the combination of size and speed, but how the heck did he not get offers from some MWC schools, at the very least? For a freshman, he was flat-out running over players yesterday, and on that longer TD, his burst left the DBs in the dust.

The Bobcats have a true FBS-level RB, and he's only a freshman. The entire backfield compliments each other so well, actually. With the line developing together, as long as Murray can remain on the field the running game is going to give opposing coordinators nightmares.

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Re: Troy Andersen

Post by Cledus » Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:12 pm

Yeah, he's got Eddie George size. Yesterday was the first time I've seen him play. I was getting pretty antsy after hearing everyone on here talk him up but not being able to see anything for myself.

One thing the announcers mentioned yesterday is how he doesn't get stood up and how he also falls forward when he's being tackled, effectively picking up another 1 or 2 yards.

UM is the university equivalent of Axe Body Spray and essential oils.

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cledus » Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:20 pm

Lex Hilliard is the Troy Anderson of missoula. There, I said it.

UM is the university equivalent of Axe Body Spray and essential oils.

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:36 pm

Cledus wrote:Lex Hilliard is the Troy Anderson of missoula. There, I said it.
Good comparison, although Troy has more top end speed. Chad Newell with track speed? The sky is the limit for Andersen and he's a true freshman, which is unreal, plus he's a CE major, which makes it more impressive how he moved positions and is already excelling. Although, when did school start at MSU?

What a ride

HawaiiFiveO
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by HawaiiFiveO » Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:51 pm

Let's not get ahead of ourselves NDU was out 9 starters...I hold firm that he's a LB not a true RB....Lets revisit this discussion next Saturday...

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:06 pm

HawaiiFiveO wrote:Let's not get ahead of ourselves NDU was out 9 starters...I hold firm that he's a LB not a true RB....Lets revisit this discussion next Saturday...
A guy with 9 posts is "holding firm." I don't care who you are playing, the burst he showed on the TD run in the 4th is rarely found in a RB of his size. He's a legitimate star RB in the making.

What a ride

GoCats18
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by GoCats18 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:08 pm

I think we can all agree that he had an amazing game yesterday. I think I was almost more impressed with our o-line than anything though. They created some nice holes and gave Murray time to pass. Troy was a beast though and I hope we can keep seeing that kind of performance every weekend. One thing I noticed though, it seems like he runs with his head down sometimes. For a true freshman though, kid is going to make some noise.

Punters are people too!!

Hi-Line Bobcat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Hi-Line Bobcat » Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:28 pm

GoCats18 wrote:I think we can all agree that he had an amazing game yesterday. I think I was almost more impressed with our o-line than anything though. They created some nice holes and gave Murray time to pass. Troy was a beast though and I hope we can keep seeing that kind of performance every weekend. One thing I noticed though, it seems like he runs with his head down sometimes. For a true freshman though, kid is going to make some noise.
That is just how Troy runs, it's a little different looking but it works. Watch videos of him sprinting in high school, it's not a football thing, it's just the way his head looks when he runs.

If your left, you aren’t right.

Joe Bobcat
Member # Retired

Post by Joe Bobcat » Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:38 pm

Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
GoCats18 wrote:I think we can all agree that he had an amazing game yesterday. I think I was almost more impressed with our o-line than anything though. They created some nice holes and gave Murray time to pass. Troy was a beast though and I hope we can keep seeing that kind of performance every weekend. One thing I noticed though, it seems like he runs with his head down sometimes. For a true freshman though, kid is going to make some noise.
That is just how Troy runs, it's a little different looking but it works. Watch videos of him sprinting in high school, it's not a football thing, it's just the way his head looks when he runs.
He puts his head down to be more aerodynamic. Instead of the wind resistance of a 6'3" player he cuts it to 6'. :lol:
On a more serious note I really like what I see from his running and he will only get better with more experience, muscle, and training.
There is a long way to go yet but not sure that the sky is even the limit for Troy.

If you're looking for someone with a little authority, I'm your man. I have as little as anyone!

GoldstoneCat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by GoldstoneCat » Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:08 pm

HawaiiFiveO wrote:Let's not get ahead of ourselves NDU was out 9 starters...I hold firm that he's a LB not a true RB....Lets revisit this discussion next Saturday...
Nonsense. Could he be a good BSC linebacker? I'm sure he could. But to me, he looks like the type of big, salty, run-finishing back Choate wants to build his identity on
As a bonus, he's also fast. I hope we do get to revisit this discussion next Sunday, after another big W.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:12 pm

People keep harping about injuries for UND, but they don't mention that MSU also has injuries/suspensions to some key players and are playing a heck of a lot of first and second year players.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:28 pm

AFCAT wrote:People keep harping about injuries for UND, but they don't mention that MSU also has injuries/suspensions to some key players and are playing a heck of a lot of first and second year players.
You are right. There have been several issues.

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

utucats
Member # Retired

Post by utucats » Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:29 pm

Great, now he'll feel self conscious about the way he runs. Thanks a lot 18! Cat fans always find something to complain about.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:54 pm

He's a good RB, but I think some of that is because we play in the Big Sky.

He succeeds because he's big and fast, but he just doesn't look like a RB to me. He is not what I would call fluid, he runs stiff, pretty much exactly like a big LB. It absolutely works, but I think he has a pro future at LB, and he doesn't at RB.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:14 pm

Choate apparently looks at players and sees them at multiple positions. I'm not sure where he got that, but he has an uncanny knack for seeing a player at one position and recognizing other positions he could play.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

Buckaroo Bonzi
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by Buckaroo Bonzi » Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:40 pm

Troy is an athlete,played QB and Safety in High School, this is his first year at Running Back I believe. Dillon has a
Great strength program not that far from a college program - stresses lower body strength and explosiveness. A
running back has a different skill set than a QB scrambling . And Troy will continue to improve,as his Running
Back style develops . He's off to a good start at a new position and his upside is huge . He has the potential to
be a back that can flat take over games. I would like to see him get the ball more in space to unleash his speed
- he's already a Nightmare for DB's.
Last edited by Buckaroo Bonzi on Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Where ever you go , There you are .... Protect the Rock ~ Create TurnOvers ~ Execute on every Play

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:40 pm

Wow, the kid just ran for 130 yards in his 2nd game as a true freshman and half our fans want to move him to LB. Let me ask you guys, what team do you coach???
Let Choate make the player position decisions, and don't quit your day jobs.
Last edited by 91catAlum on Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:45 pm

Trey Robinson-Chad Newell-Troy Andersen.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:13 pm

Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
I think that's how track sprinters are trained to run. In a 100m dash, most runners have their heads down the first 40m or so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:33 pm

bobcat99 wrote:He's a good RB, but I think some of that is because we play in the Big Sky.

He succeeds because he's big and fast, but he just doesn't look like a RB to me. He is not what I would call fluid, he runs stiff, pretty much exactly like a big LB. It absolutely works, but I think he has a pro future at LB, and he doesn't at RB.
He's 6'3" and looks to be about 220 now and is a power RB who runs over people instead of around them. If you expect him to be Barry Sanders at Troy's size, you must not know football very well. No back that size is "elusive," with the possible exception of Marcus Allen, who was a Freak of nature with elusiveness, size, and speed. Al Davis is why Marcus isn't the all-time leading rusher in the NFL.

I can't believe some of the posts in this thread about a true freshman who just mauled NoDak. As for the pros, he just had his second start, ever, and he's 18 years old. Who cares about pro football at this point? He seemed pretty happy to just help his team end a NoDak 11-game conference win streak.

What a ride