MBB vs Portland State

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

MBB vs Portland State

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Fri Dec 30, 2011 6:19 pm

MSU Men's basketball: Oh how I wish I could quit you!

But alas-I will be back in the Fieldhouse to watch the Bobcats take on the Vikings tonight. Both teams are struggling right now-so it will be interesting to see who pulls themselves out of the ditch.

Kids get in free tonight-so bring along a rug rat or two (and pray they're not scarred for life like I am after watching this team).

Go Cats!

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Re: MBB vs Portland State

Post by Hawks86 » Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:04 pm

Is Stewart injured ? He's not even on the bench.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

Gidal Kaiser
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by Gidal Kaiser » Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:33 pm

Jamie Stewart did not practice Thursday, so he did not play tonight. There is no injury to report.

Info for preps, MSU men's basketball & MSU Olympic sports shows up here first: http://twitter.com/gidal_kaiser" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Blue & Gold Blog: http://www.bozemandailychronicle.com/app/msu-bobcats/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

grizzh8r
Golden Bobcat

Post by grizzh8r » Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:48 pm

Didn't make it to the game, but wish I had. Sounds like Moon went off again from deep. Heard a lot of dunks in the postgame show. Is PSU that small that they are getting dunked on that often by us? Wow.

After the EWU debaucle, I was ready to write this season off. That was the worst game I have ever seen out of a Bobcat team...

To those who were at the game... Did Huse finally let his guys run a bit? How the hell else did they score 86 points? That isn't going to happen in his broken 1/2 court offense, and they sure as hell didn't do it against EWU...

Eric Curry STILL makes me sad.
94VegasCat wrote:Are you for real? That is just a plain ol dumb paragraph! You just nailed every note in the Full Reetard sing-a-long choir!!!
:rofl:

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:07 pm

Jamie Stewart left the team. I followed his tweets. He seemed disgruntled, but according to the pre-game show there was also some question about academics. He was one of our more highly touted recruits coming into this season, but it seemed like his slashing style didn't work here as well as it did at his JC. Moon played on the same JC team and didn't have as good of numbers, but he seems to fit in better to Huse's system. We probably had one too many shooting guards with Moon, Blount, Reed, and Stewart-so one of those had to be the odd man out. For a while it looked like it would be Reed, but now he's coming on and Stewart didn't get the minutes against EWU. A guy like Stewart-who's expected to get a lot of playing time and can't stay on the floor can sometimes be a cancer in the locker room. I'm not saying that was the case with him, because I have no idea-just speculation. Too bad it didn't work out for him here-I hope he finds someplace to play (he tweeted something about Wayne State-a Detroit area D-2 school).

Now for the game tonight. Much, much better performance all around. We got off to a good start for a change-and Moon was hot from out. Blount was scoring all over the place too. Reed also had a nice overall game, knocking down some shots, and getting 4 assists and some rebounds. It was one of Reed's best all-around games of his career. With the outside game working, Portland State had to extend their zone and that led to some nice dunks down the stretch. We had some nice put backs too-from Blount, Reed, Budnich, and Johnson. Fall was effective on defense and managed to stay out of foul trouble-which has been tough for him to do.

PSU looked a little more failable than our previous opponents. They got off to a slow start, had some turnovers, missed some shots, and missed some free throws-things that we were able to take advantage of for a change.

It was a good game for us. For this team to be successful, we need two or three guards to have big games. Tonight Blount, Reed, and Moon all had good games. If those guys are off-we're screwed because there isn't enough inside scoring.

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:19 pm

One more thought: It was nice to see them get out to the big lead and then not blow it like they did so many times last year, including in the Big Sky tournament against NAU. PSU full-court pressed most of the game and they had a couple of runs where they brought the lead down to six. But unlike last year when a press would really rattled them, this team kept their composure, didn't turn it over too many times, and even broke it for some open shots. Dison did a good job when he was in there and at times they had Dison and Singleton in at the same time. It worked for this game anyway.

bozbobcat
Member # Retired

Post by bozbobcat » Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:20 pm

It was great to see the team get off to a good start. Blount had some nice moves and so did Moon. I think Moon is going to be quite good on offense. It really helps when these guys bury some shots. We still need some more inside presence, but there were some nice moments inside. I noticed that the Cats need to get the ball across the half court line a little faster. PSU had some success there. I was happy to see that the Cats were playing relatively loose ball and taking care of things. Tonight's game was fun.

And just to tick some people off, I thought the officials did a nice job tonight as well, even though I recognized one of them instantly. I don't think I'm allowed to say his name on here. His last name is a common type of Indian food.

My conclusion is this: I'm still not sure where we stand after 2 games, but we're certainly better than we showed against Eastern Washington. It'll be interesting to see how they do on the road against Idaho State next week.

GO CATS!
It's always a good day to be a Bobcat fan! :) =D^ \:D/
My name is Steve, if you'd like to know.

grizzh8r
Golden Bobcat

Post by grizzh8r » Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:47 pm

bozbobcat wrote:It was great to see the team get off to a good start. Blount had some nice moves and so did Moon. I think Moon is going to be quite good on offense. It really helps when these guys bury some shots. We still need some more inside presence, but there were some nice moments inside. I noticed that the Cats need to get the ball across the half court line a little faster. PSU had some success there. I was happy to see that the Cats were playing relatively loose ball and taking care of things. Tonight's game was fun.

And just to tick some people off, I thought the officials did a nice job tonight as well, even though I recognized one of them instantly. I don't think I'm allowed to say his name on here. His last name is a common type of Indian food.

My conclusion is this: I'm still not sure where we stand after 2 games, but we're certainly better than we showed against Eastern Washington. It'll be interesting to see how they do on the road against Idaho State next week.
Good to know Curry didn't have his usual outing in Bozeman. Eric Curry, how I loathe thee!

Eric Curry STILL makes me sad.
94VegasCat wrote:Are you for real? That is just a plain ol dumb paragraph! You just nailed every note in the Full Reetard sing-a-long choir!!!
:rofl:

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:58 pm

The fan favorite of this team is Blake Brumwell-who is actually starting to get a few minutes here and there-especially when our other "bigs" get into foul trouble-which is often. He looks like he's getting a little more comfortable out there. With his frame I'd like to see him moving some people around. He got knocked over by a PSU guard on a drive. He was probably trying to take the charge. I hope he forgoes any attempts at flopping and instead bounces the guard into the third row. This team needs a bit of an enforcer and Brumwell could be it.

mt jack
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by mt jack » Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:09 am

grizzh8r wrote: Good to know Curry didn't have his usual outing in Bozeman. Eric Curry, how I loathe thee!

Grizzh8r -

:lol: When I read the box score and saw Eric Curry reffed the game, you were the first thing I thought of.

I remember sitting with an NAU booster at the Big Sky tourney one year who said he was going to shut up the whole game with Curry reffing. Earlier in the season, Curry had t'd up NAU and then stared right at the courtside seats where the booster was sitting courtside. Blatantly done in response to a fan riding a ref. Eric Curry's definitely whistle-happy.

Gidal Kaiser

Post by Gidal Kaiser » Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:16 am

BelgradeBobcat wrote:The fan favorite of this team is Blake Brumwell-who is actually starting to get a few minutes here and there-especially when our other "bigs" get into foul trouble-which is often. He looks like he's getting a little more comfortable out there. With his frame I'd like to see him moving some people around. He got knocked over by a PSU guard on a drive. He was probably trying to take the charge. I hope he forgoes any attempts at flopping and instead bounces the guard into the third row. This team needs a bit of an enforcer and Brumwell could be it.
He was trying to take the charge, and you're right. The Big Sandy boy is a fan favorite.

Info for preps, MSU men's basketball & MSU Olympic sports shows up here first: http://twitter.com/gidal_kaiser" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Blue & Gold Blog: http://www.bozemandailychronicle.com/app/msu-bobcats/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

CatBlitz
Golden Bobcat

Post by CatBlitz » Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:00 am

mt jack wrote:
grizzh8r wrote: Good to know Curry didn't have his usual outing in Bozeman. Eric Curry, how I loathe thee!

Grizzh8r -

:lol: When I read the box score and saw Eric Curry reffed the game, you were the first thing I thought of.

I remember sitting with an NAU booster at the Big Sky tourney one year who said he was going to shut up the whole game with Curry reffing. Earlier in the season, Curry had t'd up NAU and then stared right at the courtside seats where the booster was sitting courtside. Blatantly done in response to a fan riding a ref. Eric Curry's definitely whistle-happy.
I might be the sole person on this board that is able to say that Curry has kicked me out of a game. 8)
Also to Stewart: :penalty: :no:

Don't let this distract you from the fact that the griz blew a 22-0 lead.

ImagineSanta
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by ImagineSanta » Sat Dec 31, 2011 10:04 am

CatBlitz wrote:
mt jack wrote:

Grizzh8r -

I might be the sole person on this board that is able to say that Curry has kicked me out of a game. 8)
Also to Stewart: :penalty: :no:
ERIC CURRY!!!!!!!! If I had known that Eric Curry was going to be in Bozeman while I was home in billings on vacation, that would have been worth the two hour car ride there and back. I will never forget that game. Eric Curry makes me sad.

I think you don't get it. Sleeping in until 6 won't get many people very far in life, especially if they want to play on Sunday.
-Cat Grad

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Post by Helcat72 » Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:05 pm

The Bobcats played team ball last night...they shared the ball and were unselfish, that and the fact that they hit shots early. singleton had one of his best games as far as I am concerned although he had only 2 points. the dunks were caused mostly by making the extra pass. Johnson had a great rebound dunk. A couple of times PSU had to overplay to cover a man getting an open shot and he made the pass to Fall who dunked it. Hitting our outside shots opens up a lot of stuff!

2024 Resume dominance

duelalumnicat

Post by duelalumnicat » Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:25 pm

Too bad about Stewart.