MSU at Idaho/San Jose St.

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:43 am

Sounds lame, but it really isn't: A couple wins this week could really help MSU at season's end with getting a bid to the CBI or CIT tourneys. Both tournaments are more Big Sky caliber than the NIT or NCAA tourneys. I don't think a BSC team has made it to the Sweet 16 since the 64-team format was established over 25 years ago. The NIT hasn't been much kinder.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Re: MSU at Idaho/San Jose St.

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Sat Nov 26, 2011 8:43 pm

With all due respect-I think this team will be doing good just to make the Big Sky tournament-let alone anything beyond that. 3 of the 4 teams that finished below us last season look to be significantly better (EWU, PSU, and Sac), and I don't think anybody that finished above us has dropped off that much.

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Sat Nov 26, 2011 8:57 pm

Listening to the pre-game show: Tre Johnson is indefinitely suspended. No details. Huse talking about going with a four guard lineup...swell. :roll:

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:29 pm

Well we're behind 21-6. I've said enough negative things about this team. I'm going to stop talking about them for a while.

CPACAT
Member # Retired

Post by CPACAT » Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:29 am

Thank You.

IYAACYAS

CatBlitz
Golden Bobcat

Post by CatBlitz » Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:17 am

Christ. Tre suspended? Awesome.
And losing to IDAHO?! Awesome x2. I'm already tired of this season.

Don't let this distract you from the fact that the griz blew a 22-0 lead.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:43 pm

more of the same unfortunately. i long for the day when this staff realizes that you need height and strength in college basketball! instead, we try our luck at 3 and 4 guard lineups. gonna be a looooong season unfortunately..... :(

duelalumnicat
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by duelalumnicat » Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:42 pm

Any details yet on why Tre Johnson has been indefinitely suspended by Coach Huse?

cats22
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by cats22 » Sun Nov 27, 2011 3:44 pm

Things could be worse... We could be Utah! Or half the disgusting PAC 12.

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:25 am

TomCat88 wrote:Sounds lame, but it really isn't: A couple wins this week could really help MSU at season's end with getting a bid to the CBI or CIT tourneys. Both tournaments are more Big Sky caliber than the NIT or NCAA tourneys. I don't think a BSC team has made it to the Sweet 16 since the 64-team format was established over 25 years ago. The NIT hasn't been much kinder.
The last time a BSC team made the Sweet 16 was Idaho in 1982. I believe the last win by a BSC team in the NIT was MSU in 2002.

mttiger
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by mttiger » Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:05 pm

John K wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:Sounds lame, but it really isn't: A couple wins this week could really help MSU at season's end with getting a bid to the CBI or CIT tourneys. Both tournaments are more Big Sky caliber than the NIT or NCAA tourneys. I don't think a BSC team has made it to the Sweet 16 since the 64-team format was established over 25 years ago. The NIT hasn't been much kinder.
The last time a BSC team made the Sweet 16 was Idaho in 1982. I believe the last win by a BSC team in the NIT was MSU in 2002.

Georgia Southern of the FCS came within 21 of Alabama in football, but I don't see why we don't have a "FCS" version for basketball.

BuzzBeater
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by BuzzBeater » Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:38 pm

Might want to check your BSC teams on this.

Weber went to the sweet 16 right around '98 or so. Anyone remember Harold Arceneaux?

GrizinWashington
Golden Bobcat

Post by GrizinWashington » Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:46 pm

BuzzBeater wrote:Might want to check your BSC teams on this.

Weber went to the sweet 16 right around '98 or so. Anyone remember Harold Arceneaux?

Yes, we remember him. But Weber lost to Florida in OT in the 2nd round after beating UNC. They did not advance to the Sweet 16.

We're all here 'cause we ain't all there.

rtb

Post by rtb » Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:54 pm

GrizinWashington wrote:Yes, we remember him. But Weber lost to Florida in OT in the 2nd round after beating UNC. They did not advance to the Sweet 16.
Wasn't it Georgetown that beat them?

Randy B. - MSU '04 Image

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:58 pm

mttiger wrote:
John K wrote:

Georgia Southern of the FCS came within 21 of Alabama in football, but I don't see why we don't have a "FCS" version for basketball.
GSU was very impressive against Alabama. I believe they rushed for more than 300 yards, and that was the most points the Tide have allowed all season. Pretty good, considering that #1 LSU scored only 6 points against Alabama in regulation.

I would also be in favor of splitting D-I into two subdivisions for hoops. I believe it really detracts from the popularity of BSC basketball, when all you really have to play for is the BSC title, knowing that the BSC champ is going to be "one and done" 9 years out of 10 (on average) in the NCAA tourney. And even wins in the NIT, CBI, or CIT tourneys, are few and far between. Playing in a basketball version of I-AA, and actually having a chance for some postseason success, would make BSC hoops much more interesting in my opinion.

GrizinWashington
Golden Bobcat

Post by GrizinWashington » Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:08 pm

rtb wrote:
GrizinWashington wrote:Yes, we remember him. But Weber lost to Florida in OT in the 2nd round after beating UNC. They did not advance to the Sweet 16.

Hmmm... I don't know. I could've sworn Florida, but now that you say that.... I'll research.

GrizinWashington
Golden Bobcat

Post by GrizinWashington » Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:13 pm

GrizinWashington wrote:
rtb wrote:

Hmmm... I don't know. I could've sworn Florida, but now that you say that.... I'll research.

Well, we were both right, sorta. In 1999, (with "The Show") Weebs lost to Florida in the 2nd round. In 1995, they lost to G'Town in the 2nd round.
In 1999, led by Harold Arceneaux, The Wildcats faced perennial powerhouse North Carolina in the first round of the tournament. North Carolina was making its 25th consecutive appearance in the NCAA Tournament. The Wildcats were heavy underdogs against the Tar Heels, but controlled the game, leading for most of the second half. North Carolina had no answer for Arceneaux, who scored from everywhere on the floor and finished with 36 points (20 in the second half). Weber State led by 10 points with 3:59 left in the game, and went on to win 76-74--one of the biggest upsets in NCAA Tournament history. To date, Weber State is the only team to defeat UNC in the first round since the NCAA eliminated first round byes in 1982. Weber State faced Florida in the second round, but Florida won in OT, 82-74. The loss ended Weber State's tournament run, but the school earned national respect.

rtb

Post by rtb » Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:17 pm

I am a Carolina fan and remember the loss to Weber and for some reason I thought it was this game that followed it, but it was just two March Madness memories blending together.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Randy B. - MSU '04 Image

GavinDonos
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by GavinDonos » Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:11 pm

The guys are playing great tonight! Lots of contributors. 15 pt lead with 14 left.

NewEra
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by NewEra » Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:31 pm

Anyone know why Budinich is not playing tonight? I am suprised we are winning withouth Budinich and Johnson's size, we must be one of the smallest teams in the sky. Looking good tonight though.