Men's hoops loses a player for half a season, at least

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Gidal Kaiser
BobcatNation Team Captain

Men's hoops loses a player for half a season, at least

Post by Gidal Kaiser » Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:19 pm

http://www.bozemandailychronicle.com/ap ... ts/?p=9232

JC transfer Antonio Biglow, a point guard, will not be playing until second semester at least. Either he or his JC, Mount San Antonio College, didn't double-check things and he didn't get his associate's in time to transfer for the fall semester. I got stiff-armed, sort of, when I prodded for detailes. Suffice to say, I think that's why MSU has a walk-on corps of almost a half-dozen for this season and why freshman point guard Michael Dison won't be redshirting this year. More as the season rolls around.

Info for preps, MSU men's basketball & MSU Olympic sports shows up here first: http://twitter.com/gidal_kaiser" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Blue & Gold Blog: http://www.bozemandailychronicle.com/app/msu-bobcats/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Re: Men's hoops loses a player for half a season, at least

Post by mslacat » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:01 am

Redshirt options should be very interesting when/if Biglow shows up in December/January. Normally I would say redshirt and get two full years of eligibility out of him, but as Sporting News pointed out in there basketball preview mag he is (by their assessment) the #1 impact recruit this season in the Big Sky. Will the coaches have the balls to sit a guy who who could be that big of an impact on the team and will he want to. Food for thought, since Brad took over the Bobcat program I have watched a good number (I would say close half) of incoming recruits struggle to pick up Huse's offense & defensive schemes after only 2-3 months in the system, what happens when you thow a guy into the mix after literally only a week of practice. Especially a point guard. If it is available I hope he is redshirted. Stewart, Johnson-Blount, Moon, Singleton, and Reid can hold down the fort.

The Butcher
Golden Bobcat

Post by The Butcher » Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:45 pm

mslacat wrote:Redshirt options should be very interesting when/if Biglow shows up in December/January. Normally I would say redshirt and get two full years of eligibility out of him, but as Sporting News pointed out in there basketball preview mag he is (by their assessment) the #1 impact recruit this season in the Big Sky. Will the coaches have the balls to sit a guy who who could be that big of an impact on the team and will he want to. Food for thought, since Brad took over the Bobcat program I have watched a good number (I would say close half) of incoming recruits struggle to pick up Huse's offense & defensive schemes after only 2-3 months in the system, what happens when you thow a guy into the mix after literally only a week of practice. Especially a point guard. If it is available I hope he is redshirted. Stewart, Johnson-Blount, Moon, Singleton, and Reid can hold down the fort.
The question of “red shirting” could also depend if the coaching staff is on the hot seat in January. Will the coaches try anything (including mortgaging the future) to ensure they have jobs the following season?

jon
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by jon » Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:31 pm

Great reporting work Gidal.

That is too bad that he won't be eligible, will definitely be a blow for the Bobcats. Very interested to see if he is redshirted, and I think you guys are right -- it will depend on how well the team is doing and how safe the coaches feel. It will be an intriguing story to follow.