Windbag in Helena

A mellow place for Bobcats to discuss topics free of political posturing

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Windbag in Helena

Post by TomCat88 » Wed Sep 27, 2023 7:00 pm

Their food sucks. Ordered wings once a few months ago. Cold with some sauce smeared on. Ordered again tonight. Same thing. Had a couple other things there over the years and it’s just never been good. Tried to find owners number. Hate talking to the manager of places like this. Not their fault. And they aren’t going to make changes. Sean Graves is his name but no luck. He and his partner Matt Schmechel(?) own a bunch of bars around the state. Waitress told me she would’ve fixed them but she never came by after they arrived and she didn’t even bring them out to me. Someone from the kitchen did, so it’s not like she even new I got served to check. People around town complain about it all the time but it’s busy so I guess it’s okay. To top it off I’m not a fan of silent owners. Up until a couple years ago I used to go there regularly but it just kept getting worse and now I might go there about once a month. It used to be the coolest place in town with all its history and great food. Now it’s just a cookie cutter, food off the truck bar food joint. Really a shame.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

LTown Cat
Golden Bobcat

Re: Windbag in Helena

Post by LTown Cat » Wed Sep 27, 2023 7:43 pm

I used to love it. It’s gone way down hill. It’s too bad.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Wed Sep 27, 2023 8:04 pm

I've never even heard of the place, but thanks for the heads up. I'm fairly up to speed on the great, good, and OK places in Bozeman, Billings, Missoula, Great Falls, Flathead Valley, and a bunch of smaller towns, but never have much of a need to eat or stay in Helena. Nothing against Helena, I actually think it's a cool town, but never a destination for me.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

Pecos24
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by Pecos24 » Wed Sep 27, 2023 8:20 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2023 7:00 pm
Their food sucks. Ordered wings once a few months ago. Cold with some sauce smeared on. Ordered again tonight. Same thing. Had a couple other things there over the years and it’s just never been good. Tried to find owners number. Hate talking to the manager of places like this. Not their fault. And they aren’t going to make changes. Sean Graves is his name but no luck. He and his partner Matt Schmechel(?) own a bunch of bars around the state. Waitress told me she would’ve fixed them but she never came by after they arrived and she didn’t even bring them out to me. Someone from the kitchen did, so it’s not like she even new I got served to check. People around town complain about it all the time but it’s busy so I guess it’s okay. To top it off I’m not a fan of silent owners. Up until a couple years ago I used to go there regularly but it just kept getting worse and now I might go there about once a month. It used to be the coolest place in town with all its history and great food. Now it’s just a cookie cutter, food off the truck bar food joint. Really a shame.
That’s too bad. I haven’t ever been disappointed in their food. But the long wait to get a table and then the long wait to get food after ordering sucks. I’m not a regular though, probably only eat there every 2-3 months.

Bill Zander
CS '93
AKA - "F'n sorry ass"

CatBot
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by CatBot » Wed Sep 27, 2023 9:04 pm

Went there once a few months ago and it was horrific. After waiting for an excruciating amount of time for each interaction with a waiter, we had to start finding and flagging the guy down just to hear he'll be right over. He never came right over. It was so freaking late when we ran the gauntlet and finally got our food. Most of the place had cleared out by then. It was cold and bad food. We had out of town guests and I was embarrassed to say the least.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Wed Sep 27, 2023 9:06 pm

It's not nearly as good as it was before the new owner / changeover, but I've had a few good lunches in there this year. I've had the fish tacos and the brisket Mac, both were good. Maybe I just got lucky, because I've heard mixed reviews from others.

grizzh8r
Golden Bobcat

Post by grizzh8r » Wed Sep 27, 2023 10:33 pm

catatac wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2023 8:04 pm
I've never even heard of the place, but thanks for the heads up. I'm fairly up to speed on the great, good, and OK places in Bozeman, Billings, Missoula, Great Falls, Flathead Valley, and a bunch of smaller towns, but never have much of a need to eat or stay in Helena. Nothing against Helena, I actually think it's a cool town, but never a destination for me.
Taco Del Sol in the Gulch has some of the best nachos we've ever had! So sad when TDS went out of business here in Billings. Sad day.

Eric Curry STILL makes me sad.
94VegasCat wrote:Are you for real? That is just a plain ol dumb paragraph! You just nailed every note in the Full Reetard sing-a-long choir!!!
:rofl:

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Thu Sep 28, 2023 7:23 am

TomCat88 wrote:
Agree. I view it as a place to drink that also offers food. If you have enough to drink, the food becomes edible. Definitely not a place to go if you're looking for a good dinner.

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Thu Sep 28, 2023 8:26 am

Really sad to hear when a once good place has ownership change and the quality drops off the table. There is an Italian food place here in CdA that was stellar, changed ownership and now the VAST majority of the reviews are terrible.

I will add that most restaurants we go to do have staffing issues so we do let a few issues slide.

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Thu Sep 28, 2023 6:32 pm

Is Tips Up in Big Sky Town Center affiliated with The Windbag?

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

kennethnoisewater
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by kennethnoisewater » Wed Oct 11, 2023 12:08 pm

I used to love the Windbag when I'd visit Helena. I think it's the same owners as the Thomas Meagher Bar in Missoula. Now I live in Helena and haven't had a good experience there in the last few years. Last time I was there we waited a long time for our food, I asked about it, then the waitress said she'd go check. Lots of people who showed up after us had gotten their food...there were only two of us. Eventually the food came out (I think they'd forgotten about us but wouldn't admit it) and it went to a table near us. It sat there on their table and they had confused looks. The waitress came over, took it off their table and put it on ours. I felt bad but I said "hey I don't want to be a jerk but this sat on their table...we're not eating this". She was stunned. I said I don't know what they did to our food. We'd already been there well over an hour so we were committed. They brought us new meals eventually and charged full price. I didn't fight that but I'll never order food there again. I might go for a drink, but it's really one of the worst-run restaurants I've been to in Montana, and I think I've been to a lot.

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cledus » Wed Oct 11, 2023 2:09 pm

grizzh8r wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2023 10:33 pm
catatac wrote:
Taco Del Sol in the Gulch has some of the best nachos we've ever had! So sad when TDS went out of business here in Billings. Sad day.
I walk by there several times per week and have for years. I think they had staffing problems that cascaded into several other issues. From my observations, the problems started with the lockdowns. I always thought they had kind of weird hours, so once they lost their staple customers they didn't have other customers to fall back on.

There's a sign that's been on their door for several months hinting at opening again under a different name, but it doesn't look like anything has progressed.

UM is the university equivalent of Axe Body Spray and essential oils.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Fri Oct 13, 2023 10:16 am

Cledus wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2023 2:09 pm
grizzh8r wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2023 10:33 pm
catatac wrote:
I walk by there several times per week and have for years. I think they had staffing problems that cascaded into several other issues. From my observations, the problems started with the lockdowns. I always thought they had kind of weird hours, so once they lost their staple customers they didn't have other customers to fall back on.

There's a sign that's been on their door for several months hinting at opening again under a different name, but it doesn't look like anything has progressed.
Taco del Sol is great. I love Mexican food tho. You could wrap the ingredients for a burrito in a roof shingle and I’d like it!

toM StUber

Au Blue
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Au Blue » Tue Oct 17, 2023 10:14 am

TomCat88 wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2023 6:32 pm
Is Tips Up in Big Sky Town Center affiliated with The Windbag?
Per the Montana Transaction Portal, they appear to have different ownership. Windbag is primarily owned by Matt Schmechel and Sean Graves. Sean & Christine Schmechel are part of the ownership of the Meagher Bar.

Prodigal Cat

Post by Prodigal Cat » Tue Oct 17, 2023 11:30 am

TomCat88 wrote:
Yes I miss the old Windbag although Helena needs more sports bar type places. We have plenty of $$$ places. I ordered the wings there once and was disappointed as well. When it comes to that place i've learned to go in during the off hours, sit at the bar, and order food as soon they talk to you. Get the chicken enchiladas or one of their mac and cheese's. Those are decent.
I know ill probably get flamed but if i want wings and a TV its hard to beat BWW in town. Service in the Helena store is really good. So good the manager Shawn won the company manager of the year a few times. 30 taps so plenty of beer choices.

Brewer/Owner Copper Furrow Brewing

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Tue Oct 17, 2023 11:34 am

Prodigal Cat wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2023 11:30 am
TomCat88 wrote:
Yes I miss the old Windbag although Helena needs more sports bar type places. We have plenty of $$$ places. I ordered the wings there once and was disappointed as well. When it comes to that place i've learned to go in during the off hours, sit at the bar, and order food as soon they talk to you. Get the chicken enchiladas or one of their mac and cheese's. Those are decent.
I know ill probably get flamed but if i want wings and a TV its hard to beat BWW in town. Service in the Helena store is really good. So good the manager Shawn won the company manager of the year a few times. 30 taps so plenty of beer choices.
It's a bit out of the way, but hard to beat the dragon wings at the Overland. I think it's still owned by former MSU player and big supporter, Phil Schneider?

Prodigal Cat

Post by Prodigal Cat » Tue Oct 17, 2023 12:02 pm

wbtfg wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2023 11:34 am
Prodigal Cat wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
It's a bit out of the way, but hard to beat the dragon wings at the Overland. I think it's still owned by former MSU player and big supporter, Phil Schneider?
I kinda have the same view of Overland as Tom does the Windbag. The last few times I went in there is was pretty meh but yes it used to be a great wing place.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Tue Oct 17, 2023 12:13 pm

Prodigal Cat wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2023 12:02 pm
wbtfg wrote:
Prodigal Cat wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
I kinda have the same view of Overland as Tom does the Windbag. The last few times I went in there is was pretty meh but yes it used to be a great wing place.
Totally fair.

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Tue Oct 17, 2023 12:42 pm

wbtfg wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2023 12:13 pm
Prodigal Cat wrote:
wbtfg wrote:
Prodigal Cat wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
Totally fair.
Our niece works at Overland.

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

Prodigal Cat

Post by Prodigal Cat » Tue Oct 17, 2023 12:59 pm

wbtfg wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2023 12:13 pm
Prodigal Cat wrote:
wbtfg wrote:
Prodigal Cat wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
Totally fair.
I should give it another try though. It’s been a few years.