Prodigal Cat wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2023 12:02 pm
wbtfg wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2023 11:34 am
Prodigal Cat wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2023 11:30 am
TomCat88 wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2023 7:00 pm
Their food sucks. Ordered wings once a few months ago. Cold with some sauce smeared on. Ordered again tonight. Same thing. Had a couple other things there over the years and it’s just never been good. Tried to find owners number. Hate talking to the manager of places like this. Not their fault. And they aren’t going to make changes. Sean Graves is his name but no luck. He and his partner Matt Schmechel(?) own a bunch of bars around the state. Waitress told me she would’ve fixed them but she never came by after they arrived and she didn’t even bring them out to me. Someone from the kitchen did, so it’s not like she even new I got served to check. People around town complain about it all the time but it’s busy so I guess it’s okay. To top it off I’m not a fan of silent owners. Up until a couple years ago I used to go there regularly but it just kept getting worse and now I might go there about once a month. It used to be the coolest place in town with all its history and great food. Now it’s just a cookie cutter, food off the truck bar food joint. Really a shame.
Yes I miss the old Windbag although Helena needs more sports bar type places. We have plenty of $$$ places. I ordered the wings there once and was disappointed as well. When it comes to that place i've learned to go in during the off hours, sit at the bar, and order food as soon they talk to you. Get the chicken enchiladas or one of their mac and cheese's. Those are decent.
I know ill probably get flamed but if i want wings and a TV its hard to beat BWW in town. Service in the Helena store is really good. So good the manager Shawn won the company manager of the year a few times. 30 taps so plenty of beer choices.
It's a bit out of the way, but hard to beat the dragon wings at the Overland. I think it's still owned by former MSU player and big supporter, Phil Schneider?
I kinda have the same view of Overland as Tom does the Windbag. The last few times I went in there is was pretty meh but yes it used to be a great wing place.
Totally fair.
I should give it another try though. It’s been a few years.
The overland dragon wings are still fantastic, as of a couple months ago.

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Re: Windbag in Helena

Post by allcat » Tue Oct 17, 2023 6:02 pm

Prodigal Cat wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2023 11:30 am
TomCat88 wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2023 7:00 pm
Their food sucks. Ordered wings once a few months ago. Cold with some sauce smeared on. Ordered again tonight. Same thing. Had a couple other things there over the years and it’s just never been good. Tried to find owners number. Hate talking to the manager of places like this. Not their fault. And they aren’t going to make changes. Sean Graves is his name but no luck. He and his partner Matt Schmechel(?) own a bunch of bars around the state. Waitress told me she would’ve fixed them but she never came by after they arrived and she didn’t even bring them out to me. Someone from the kitchen did, so it’s not like she even new I got served to check. People around town complain about it all the time but it’s busy so I guess it’s okay. To top it off I’m not a fan of silent owners. Up until a couple years ago I used to go there regularly but it just kept getting worse and now I might go there about once a month. It used to be the coolest place in town with all its history and great food. Now it’s just a cookie cutter, food off the truck bar food joint. Really a shame.
Yes I miss the old Windbag although Helena needs more sports bar type places. We have plenty of $$$ places. I ordered the wings there once and was disappointed as well. When it comes to that place i've learned to go in during the off hours, sit at the bar, and order food as soon they talk to you. Get the chicken enchiladas or one of their mac and cheese's. Those are decent.
I know ill probably get flamed but if i want wings and a TV its hard to beat BWW in town. Service in the Helena store is really good. So good the manager Shawn won the company manager of the year a few times. 30 taps so plenty of beer choices.
Last time I was at the Montana City bar, the wings there were huge and really good.

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Re: Windbag in Helena

Post by TomCat88 » Wed Oct 18, 2023 8:49 am

Yes, Overland and MCity Bar and Grill have great wings.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber