Bobcat VB - Huge start to the Houk era

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Athletics here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

CatBot
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Re: Bobcat VB - Huge start to the Houk era

Post by CatBot » Mon Oct 16, 2023 11:17 am

kmax wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2023 11:12 am
CatBot wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2023 10:44 am
MSU01 wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2023 8:42 am
Another sweep over EWU and Idaho this weekend and the Cats are now tied for 1st in the Big Sky at 6-1. The schedule gets a lot tougher from here on out though, this week they go on the road to PSU and Sac State.
First, the game on Saturday was incredible. The Cats kept accelerating the entire afternoon. If they played another set, I'd guess it would have finished around 25-7. By the end, you could see the Vandals just wanted out of Shroyer as fast as possible. Glad I finally made a game.

Second, why didn't the alumni association coordinate with the volleyball team playing on the same day as the football team down at Sac? Maybe they did and I missed it. If not, this was a golden opportunity to rally support for a match that could ultimately decide the conference championship. The schedule is perfect: volleyball straight into the tailgate straight into the football game.
Not sure about the alumni association, thought I had seen something from them about it but can't find anything now. I did get this from the athletic department last week: https://ats.eccmp.com/ats/msg.aspx?sg1= ... f19f67b3da
Ok, but I was thinking this deserves a pretty serious campaign including a bunch of social media blasts. I'll call down there today. Even 100+ or so fans of the likely 500+ going to football would make a huge difference.

kmax
Site Admin

Post by kmax » Mon Oct 16, 2023 11:24 am

CatBot wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2023 11:17 am
kmax wrote:
CatBot wrote:
MSU01 wrote:
Another sweep over EWU and Idaho this weekend and the Cats are now tied for 1st in the Big Sky at 6-1. The schedule gets a lot tougher from here on out though, this week they go on the road to PSU and Sac State.
First, the game on Saturday was incredible. The Cats kept accelerating the entire afternoon. If they played another set, I'd guess it would have finished around 25-7. By the end, you could see the Vandals just wanted out of Shroyer as fast as possible. Glad I finally made a game.

Second, why didn't the alumni association coordinate with the volleyball team playing on the same day as the football team down at Sac? Maybe they did and I missed it. If not, this was a golden opportunity to rally support for a match that could ultimately decide the conference championship. The schedule is perfect: volleyball straight into the tailgate straight into the football game.
Not sure about the alumni association, thought I had seen something from them about it but can't find anything now. I did get this from the athletic department last week: https://ats.eccmp.com/ats/msg.aspx?sg1= ... f19f67b3da
Ok, but I was thinking this deserves a pretty serious campaign including a bunch of social media blasts. I'll call down there today. Even 100+ or so fans of the likely 500+ going to football would make a huge difference.
Oh don't get me wrong, I completely agree with you that it would be great to get some Cat fans there and would have loved to see more of a push. Just wanted to share what I had seen, especially since it included ticket links for those that are going.

“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.” -- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

CatBot

Post by CatBot » Mon Oct 16, 2023 12:31 pm

kmax wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2023 11:24 am
CatBot wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2023 11:17 am
kmax wrote:
CatBot wrote:
MSU01 wrote:

Oh don't get me wrong, I completely agree with you that it would be great to get some Cat fans there and would have loved to see more of a push. Just wanted to share what I had seen, especially since it included ticket links for those that are going.
:thumbup:

DMMDCats
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by DMMDCats » Mon Oct 16, 2023 2:10 pm

I get in at 1300. I will be there.

DMMDCats

Post by DMMDCats » Thu Oct 19, 2023 8:59 pm

Ladies are at PSU tonight. Looking good about to go up 2-0.

Decent announcer.

CatBot

Post by CatBot » Sat Oct 28, 2023 8:22 am

A clean and hard fought win last night and boy was it needed. Four straight loses to the gris was a going concern. This obviously the one to win because now the Mainline Trophy sits in Bozeman for (at least) most of the year.

The loss at PSU is the one that bugs me. Had a 2-0 set lead and multiple match points, but couldn't come away with the win. Right now the Cats sit in a tie for 2nd which is a great place to be, but there's not much margin for error anymore. Need to stack wins from here on out.

DMMDCats

Post by DMMDCats » Sat Oct 28, 2023 10:09 am

Did they announce the attendance?

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Sat Oct 28, 2023 11:20 am

DMMDCats wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2023 10:09 am
Did they announce the attendance?
Looks like 4187.

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Sun Oct 29, 2023 9:00 am

Great job, ladies! A nice bright spot in an otherwise disappointing weekend.

CatBot

Post by CatBot » Mon Oct 30, 2023 11:23 am

MSU01 wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2023 9:00 am
Not to knit pick, but XC contributing 2 points to the Brawl Series should also qualify as a bright spot.

tetoncat
Member # Retired

Post by tetoncat » Mon Oct 30, 2023 12:48 pm

CatBot wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2023 11:23 am
MSU01 wrote:
Not to knit pick, but XC contributing 2 points to the Brawl Series should also qualify as a bright spot.
Agreed

Sports is not bigger than life

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Mon Oct 30, 2023 8:34 pm

tetoncat wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2023 12:48 pm
CatBot wrote:
MSU01 wrote:
Agreed
=D^ =D^

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Tue Oct 31, 2023 9:06 am

CatBot wrote:
MSU01 wrote:
Agreed! I made that post while still bummed out over the football loss and was by no means intending to overlook the awesome jobs the XC teams also did last weekend.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Sun Nov 12, 2023 12:55 pm

MSU had a big road sweep this weekend over Idaho State and Weber State. The win over Weber pulled them into a 3-way tie for second place at 10-4 with WSU and UNC. The Bobcats still have an outside shot at sharing the Big Sky regular season title, but would need to sweep Sac and PSU this weekend and also get some help from the Griz with them also beating Sac. Still a great first season for Coach Houk and staff!

CatBot

Post by CatBot » Fri Nov 17, 2023 8:30 am

Huge win against SAC. I was back and forth between the MBB and VB. Both games were unbelievable. Weber and NCU play each other, so on of the 4 loss teams will drop leaving the Cats in a two way tie for 2nd with a win against PSU. If Weber beats NCU and we beat PSU, we would get the #2 seeds since we went 1-0 against Weber (only played once in Ogden - huge win down there).

Now here is where it gets interesting: if we win and the gris win, we get to hang a banner. Yup. Our chances of sharing a BSC title is partially dependent on the gris VB winning on Saturday.

So to be clear: gris FB lose by 50 but gris VB victorious.

LTown Cat
Golden Bobcat

Post by LTown Cat » Fri Nov 17, 2023 9:27 am

CatBot wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2023 8:30 am
So to be clear: gris FB lose by 50 but gris VB victorious.
I can get on board with this!

nevadacat
Member # Retired

Post by nevadacat » Sat Nov 18, 2023 10:08 pm

Cats take down PSU 3-1. Finish no worse than 2nd.

Awaiting Sac vs gris result. Sac win, we are 2nd. Gris win, we are first.

...for today we raise, the BLUE and GOLD to wave victorious!... GO CATS GO!

Joe Bobcat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Joe Bobcat » Sun Nov 19, 2023 1:32 am

nevadacat wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2023 10:08 pm

The gris ladies tried their best and took SAC to 5 but couldn't get it done.

The Cats are 12-4 along with UNC. I don't know how a tie break goes between those 2 teams for 2nd and 3rd.

Great season for the Cat VB ladies and as coach said tonight at the end of honoring the seniors "We're not done yet!"

If you're looking for someone with a little authority, I'm your man. I have as little as anyone!

nevadacat
Member # Retired

Post by nevadacat » Sun Nov 19, 2023 8:22 am

Joe Bobcat wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2023 1:32 am
nevadacat wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2023 10:08 pm

The gris ladies tried their best and took SAC to 5 but couldn't get it done.

The Cats are 12-4 along with UNC. I don't know how a tie break goes between those 2 teams for 2nd and 3rd.

Great season for the Cat VB ladies and as coach said tonight at the end of honoring the seniors "We're not done yet!"
BSC has us #3 playing #6 gris at 4:00 MST Wednesday in Greeley. UNC and EWU are on our side of the bracket.

...for today we raise, the BLUE and GOLD to wave victorious!... GO CATS GO!

CatBot

Post by CatBot » Mon Nov 20, 2023 8:02 am

We won in our only match in Greeley earlier this year. Go Cats!