Bobcat Hockey info help

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Athletics here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

seataccat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Bobcat Hockey info help

Post by seataccat » Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:02 pm

Just wondering if anyone has any information about the level of play that the MSU club hockey team plays at. It’s the American Collegiate Hockey Association (ACHA) Div II. My son is considering playing. He has been playing since he was 4 and he just finished his last year of U18 AA select in Canada. He was passed up for the WHL draft this year but has received a tryout opportunities in the BCHL that he is not considering. I’m certain that the ACHA is definitely not the same level of skill as advanced junior league in Canada. But how does it compare to U18 AA select?
He is graduating from HS this year and has been accepted to several schools including EWU, UM, WWU and UI. He’s also potentially going to apply at MSU. He wants to study engineering and is a serious student so he understands that UM is probably out.
He is going to skate with the UM and WWU this month for a tryout and potentially EWU, UI and MSU later to see how he stacks up with the team. He’s a very physical defenseman, a great skater with a good slap shot. But we have no idea how that will go. Does anyone know if most of the players have experience playing Junior Hockey or do most come out of the youth leagues?

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Voltaire

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Re: Bobcat Hockey info help

Post by wbtfg » Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:25 pm

seataccat wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:02 pm
Just wondering if anyone has any information about the level of play that the MSU club hockey team plays at. It’s the American Collegiate Hockey Association (ACHA) Div II. My son is considering playing. He has been playing since he was 4 and he just finished his last year of U18 AA select in Canada. He was passed up for the WHL draft this year but has received a tryout opportunities in the BCHL that he is not considering. I’m certain that the ACHA is definitely not the same level of skill as advanced junior league in Canada. But how does it compare to U18 AA select?
He is graduating from HS this year and has been accepted to several schools including EWU, UM, WWU and UI. He’s also potentially going to apply at MSU. He wants to study engineering and is a serious student so he understands that UM is probably out.
He is going to skate with the UM and WWU this month for a tryout and potentially EWU, UI and MSU later to see how he stacks up with the team. He’s a very physical defenseman, a great skater with a good slap shot. But we have no idea how that will go. Does anyone know if most of the players have experience playing Junior Hockey or do most come out of the youth leagues?
Did you check out the roster? https://msuhockey.com/roster/

Looks like they have a wide range of players from different backgrounds. 18U AAA, 18U AA, USPHL Premier, Minnesota High School, Juniors, Billings Club, Colorado HS, D III, Etc, etc.

seataccat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by seataccat » Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:51 pm

wbtfg wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:25 pm
seataccat wrote:

Looks like they have a wide range of players from different backgrounds. 18U AAA, 18U AA, USPHL Premier, Minnesota High School, Juniors, Billings Club, Colorado HS, D III, Etc, etc.
I did not, thanks for the link. It definitely looks like mostly youth or HS leagues.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Voltaire

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Wed May 01, 2024 11:04 am

seataccat wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:51 pm
wbtfg wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:25 pm
seataccat wrote:

I did not, thanks for the link. It definitely looks like mostly youth or HS leagues.
For sure.