WBB vs Idaho

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Bocephus
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Re: WBB vs Idaho

Post by Bocephus » Fri Mar 01, 2024 1:02 pm

aucat wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2024 12:46 pm
One thing that always impresses my is the fan base that Montana State has, especially for football but also women's basketball. Last night when Natalie was playing her guts out diving all over the court after loose balls, the home crowd simply erupted showing their appreciation for her hard play. She is quite the little dynamo and a joy to watch. She's a freshman and makes mistakes but I'm really encouraged by her three point shooting. Some of her misses last night were "in and outs." Again, coaching from the sofa, I continue to question why Taylor and Marah do not take more shots when they are open from the three point line. Both have very good strokes from the perimeter. My philosphy on offense is simple. Getting players layups with cutting and assists is great but we seem to turn it over a lot trying to do that. On the other hand, if you are a good shooter, like Marah and Taylor and KJ, and Natalie as she improves, and you get an OPEN shot from the perimeter, take the shot. Sometimes last night Marah passed up those shots and then we ended up turning the ball over with no shot ever taken. On the other hand, if you are NOT a good shooter, I question why the player was recruited in the first place, unless their main role is to play down low as a post.
A missed shot is always better than a turnover.

kaner77
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by kaner77 » Fri Mar 01, 2024 6:12 pm

So are saying not one of the players on team should not have been recruited, from what I have seen in the last 2 years the only good shooters left the team

tetoncat
Member # Retired

Post by tetoncat » Sat Mar 02, 2024 9:26 am

aucat all your posts hit on recruiting at least once. I k own in earlier thread past Yeats were compared. You play with the hand dealt and this year a lot of its. If we don't have injuries or players who left that are now in big sky it is a whole different team. I just don't agree that MSU and Coach Bin are not good recruiters. Guess we just been lucky the last 10 years.

Sports is not bigger than life

BobcatDel
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by BobcatDel » Sun Mar 03, 2024 1:39 pm

aucat wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2024 10:40 am
hoopsforhope wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2024 10:09 am
The bench is not deep enough- last year it was 5 on 5 off- now the players don't get a rest - look at minutes that are putting in.
Agreed Berry needs to work on game and get to the Div 1 level of defense.
Nice to see Picton continue to develop, Dykstra take 3s when inside jammed up, Limardo looks like she was more of herself last night.
If they still had Dedin, Hein & Dylan they would be at the top.

This team is so young - but still promising.
hoopsforhope, have you ever watched Iowa play? How often does Caitlin Clark come out of the game? When Geno had his great
NC teams at UConn he rarely took out his most outstanding and productive players. Last night Natalie Picton hit her first three three pointers. She was hot. Then after only four minutes into the came she was taken out.
I keep reading statements on this board that great coaches don’t sit their players but the data doesn’t support that statement….at least the data I see. So I would like to know where those statements come from? Is it just perception from watching a single game or are you looking at real data? Who was it….perhaps Truman that said “Show Me”.

Caitlin Clark is averaging 33 min/game this season. So she is not even on the floor for 3 1/2 quarters.

Paige Bueckers the all world guard playing for Geno at UConn this year on a 26-5 team and is the leading scorer is averaging 30 min/game.

UConn went 36-1 in 2016-17 only losing the NC game in OT and the two leading scorers averaging 30 and 32 min/game. But Geno did play a pretty tight 6 person rotation that year.

UConn went 38-0 in 2015-16 and Stewart the leading scorer only averaged 29 min/game for the season. Only one girl on that entire team averaged over 30 min/game that year (30.9 min/game). He played a deeper rotation that year.

Yes you see games that have kids on the court the full game at averages above their season norm….take the NC game that UConn lost in OT, I think there were 3 UConn ladies that had over 40 min in that game.

And if you want to know, the Cats have two ladies averaging over 30 min/game on the court through games they have played and that is Limardo and Dykstra. And three others are averaging about 28 min/game.

Look I think the coach knows her team and their strengths and conditioning and who is injured and who is hurting and who is under the weather and who has a tweak injury and who is worn out after a physical 30 game season and who the “workhorse” is that she can load some more minutes on and how many minutes they need to play. At least she has a helluva lot better knowledge than I do…just sayin…but what do I know….I promised I wouldn’t post anymore this season so sorry just had to weigh in…..

CatRowdy
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by CatRowdy » Sun Mar 03, 2024 3:18 pm

BobcatDel wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2024 1:39 pm
aucat wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2024 10:40 am
hoopsforhope wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2024 10:09 am
The bench is not deep enough- last year it was 5 on 5 off- now the players don't get a rest - look at minutes that are putting in.
Agreed Berry needs to work on game and get to the Div 1 level of defense.
Nice to see Picton continue to develop, Dykstra take 3s when inside jammed up, Limardo looks like she was more of herself last night.
If they still had Dedin, Hein & Dylan they would be at the top.

This team is so young - but still promising.
hoopsforhope, have you ever watched Iowa play? How often does Caitlin Clark come out of the game? When Geno had his great
NC teams at UConn he rarely took out his most outstanding and productive players. Last night Natalie Picton hit her first three three pointers. She was hot. Then after only four minutes into the came she was taken out.
I keep reading statements on this board that great coaches don’t sit their players but the data doesn’t support that statement….at least the data I see. So I would like to know where those statements come from? Is it just perception from watching a single game or are you looking at real data? Who was it….perhaps Truman that said “Show Me”.

Caitlin Clark is averaging 33 min/game this season. So she is not even on the floor for 3 1/2 quarters.

Paige Bueckers the all world guard playing for Geno at UConn this year on a 26-5 team and is the leading scorer is averaging 30 min/game.

UConn went 36-1 in 2016-17 only losing the NC game in OT and the two leading scorers averaging 30 and 32 min/game. But Geno did play a pretty tight 6 person rotation that year.

UConn went 38-0 in 2015-16 and Stewart the leading scorer only averaged 29 min/game for the season. Only one girl on that entire team averaged over 30 min/game that year (30.9 min/game). He played a deeper rotation that year.

Yes you see games that have kids on the court the full game at averages above their season norm….take the NC game that UConn lost in OT, I think there were 3 UConn ladies that had over 40 min in that game.

And if you want to know, the Cats have two ladies averaging over 30 min/game on the court through games they have played and that is Limardo and Dykstra. And three others are averaging about 28 min/game.

Look I think the coach knows her team and their strengths and conditioning and who is injured and who is hurting and who is under the weather and who has a tweak injury and who is worn out after a physical 30 game season and who the “workhorse” is that she can load some more minutes on and how many minutes they need to play. At least she has a helluva lot better knowledge than I do…just sayin…but what do I know….I promised I wouldn’t post anymore this season so sorry just had to weigh in…..
Great Post with actual statements that can be backed up and verified!