Starting Over

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

aucat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Starting Over

Post by aucat » Fri Apr 28, 2023 9:43 am

Well I see Montana State went from a projected #12 seed in 23-24 to nothingness in the latest bracketology. Realistically, as I look ahead I think the 2022-23 Montana State men's basketball team reached the highest pinnacle in Division I that it will ever reach. 25 years from now I predict that MSU fans will look back to this past season and say, "just think, 25 years ago we actually had a team that was seeded #14 and gave #3 seeded Kansas State all they wanted." I predict that MSU will continue to compete within the Big Sky conference, but given the transfer portal and NIL money, we really don't have a chance to again compete with a ranked team.

https://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story ... redictions

MinnesotaBobcat
BobcatNation Letterman

Re: Starting Over

Post by MinnesotaBobcat » Fri Apr 28, 2023 10:37 am

I get the frustration of seeing all the guys in the portal at this point, but we have no idea what this program will do over the next 25 years. We may consider Logie the best coach in our history in in 4 years. The Big Sky has won a grand total of 3 NCAA games since 1985, so the transfer portal and NIL money has not been holding the conference back. In fact, you could even make the argument the portal helps small schools given that a Mountain West team made it to the final game. My guess is we’ll get a few guys from the portal that we really like. I admit….a couple weeks ago I was pretty bummed about all of this, but it is what it is. Now I’m just rooting for Logie to do well. Plus, I am curious how Battle will do in a power 5 conference and how Sprinkle will do at Utah State (and I’ll probably head to the Barn when Darian comes to town). In the end I will actually and rooting interest in more games.next year, which should be fun.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Fri Apr 28, 2023 10:42 am

aucat wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2023 9:43 am
Well I see Montana State went from a projected #12 seed in 23-24 to nothingness in the latest bracketology. Realistically, as I look ahead I think the 2022-23 Montana State men's basketball team reached the highest pinnacle in Division I that it will ever reach. 25 years from now I predict that MSU fans will look back to this past season and say, "just think, 25 years ago we actually had a team that was seeded #14 and gave #3 seeded Kansas State all they wanted." I predict that MSU will continue to compete within the Big Sky conference, but given the transfer portal and NIL money, we really don't have a chance to again compete with a ranked team.

Upsets in the NCAA Tournament aren't going away because of the transfer portal and NIL money. If you want to punt on the next 25 years of Bobcat basketball that's fine, but I'll at least give our new coach a chance to put together his roster for next year and coach a full season before declaring that the "good old days" have already come and gone.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Fri Apr 28, 2023 10:54 am

Because we were competing so well with ranked teams before the NIL and the portal.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

WalkOn79
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by WalkOn79 » Fri Apr 28, 2023 11:13 am

If we really want to compete in basketball, we can't stay in the BSC.

"One of the greatest feelings in the world, moving someone from point A to point B against their will"

Mitch Brott - 2019 Cat / Griz

Catfanatic84

Post by Catfanatic84 » Fri Apr 28, 2023 11:29 am

I was bummed Sprink left, but now its time to move on. I think we got a good one in Logie. It may take some time, but I think he'll have the Cats competitive by the 2024-2025 season. Coming year could be good too....depending on transfers.

Reminds me of when Choate left.....felt gloomy, but then Vigen hit the ground running and took the Cats to the Natty. Who knows...maybe history will repeat itself.

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Fri Apr 28, 2023 11:56 am

It bears repeating. In addition to Mark Few, I fully expect a Lehigh graduate to replicate this guys college coaching:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brad_Stevens

I understand Logie is a bit older than Stevens was when he got thrown into the fire, but each and every Lehigh officer I served with had the same moxie Few and Stevens exhibited from the get go. As an added comparison, let's see if he exceeds Vigen's first couple of years.

gtapp
Golden Bobcat

Post by gtapp » Fri Apr 28, 2023 12:17 pm

MinnesotaBobcat wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2023 10:37 am
I get the frustration of seeing all the guys in the portal at this point, but we have no idea what this program will do over the next 25 years. We may consider Logie the best coach in our history in in 4 years. The Big Sky has won a grand total of 3 NCAA games since 1985, so the transfer portal and NIL money has not been holding the conference back. In fact, you could even make the argument the portal helps small schools given that a Mountain West team made it to the final game. My guess is we’ll get a few guys from the portal that we really like. I admit….a couple weeks ago I was pretty bummed about all of this, but it is what it is. Now I’m just rooting for Logie to do well. Plus, I am curious how Battle will do in a power 5 conference and how Sprinkle will do at Utah State (and I’ll probably head to the Barn when Darian comes to town). In the end I will actually and rooting interest in more games.next year, which should be fun.
Let me know if you are going and I will come with.

Gary Tapp
Graduated MSU 1981
Hamilton High School
Minneapolis, MN

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD
Member # Retired

Post by BLACKnBLUEnGOLD » Fri Apr 28, 2023 1:35 pm

Well I must say I'm impressed. It's one thing to decide the current coach isn't the guy. It's one thing to write the current coach off before he has time to sign any recruits or coach a single game.

You're writing off the current coach and every coach after him? You don't even know who they are!

I thought I was a phenomenal pessimist, but it looks like I'll have to up my game.

"What's our job? Gettin the offense the ball! How we gonna do it? By any means necessary!"

-Trent King, Playmakers

duelalumnicat
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by duelalumnicat » Fri Apr 28, 2023 5:15 pm

I think Coach Logie was a great hire. But I am concerned because (apparently) he hasn't hired any assistants yet or signed any players. Meanwhile Danny Sprinkle is fully staffed and is signing good players left and right.

BethanyCordell
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by BethanyCordell » Fri Apr 28, 2023 5:38 pm

duelalumnicat wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2023 5:15 pm
I think Coach Logie was a great hire. But I am concerned because (apparently) he hasn't hired any assistants yet or signed any players. Meanwhile Danny Sprinkle is fully staffed and is signing good players left and right.
I can definitely confirm that he’s hired all three assistants and they’ve all been in Bozeman for at least a week; there’s always lots of red tape and HR stuff to be sorted before we can publicly announce! Coach Logie has also been recruiting since the moment he became our head coach.

Bethany Green (Cordell)
Bobcat Athletics

thefrank1

Post by thefrank1 » Fri Apr 28, 2023 6:13 pm

Thanks Bethany!!!!

While registering my vehicles the assessor stated "I have had both Cat and Griz students and alums work for me and the Griz end up working under the direction of the Cats."

duelalumnicat

Post by duelalumnicat » Fri Apr 28, 2023 8:02 pm

Ok, then. Thanks Bethany,

imacat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by imacat » Fri Apr 28, 2023 10:53 pm

duelalumnicat wrote:
I think Coach Logie was a great hire. But I am concerned because (apparently) he hasn't hired wiany assistants yet or signed any players. Meanwhile Danny Sprinkle is fully staffed and is signing good players left and right.
I agree with you on Logie being an outstanding hire. We are much more focused (and impatient) on what is happening with the Cats. But it took a while for Coach Sprinkle to announce his staff and to begin to sign players.

CatRowdy

Post by CatRowdy » Fri Apr 28, 2023 11:02 pm

aucat wrote:

You are the most worthless POS fan on this board. Your previous predictions have proven to be worthless. I can't figure out why you continue to claim to be a fan. How can the Cats ever be a contender if you give up when a change up happens. Why don't you put your money where your complaints are and contribute to make us a contender?

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Sat Apr 29, 2023 6:06 am

CatRowdy wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2023 11:02 pm
aucat wrote:

You are the most worthless POS fan on this board. Your previous predictions have proven to be worthless. I can't figure out why you continue to claim to be a fan. How can the Cats ever be a contender if you give up when a change up happens. Why don't you put your money where your complaints are and contribute to make us a contender?
Always good to lead with the name calling, that really helps your cause.

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Sat Apr 29, 2023 1:11 pm

BethanyCordell wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2023 5:38 pm
duelalumnicat wrote:
I can definitely confirm that he’s hired all three assistants and they’ve all been in Bozeman for at least a week; there’s always lots of red tape and HR stuff to be sorted before we can publicly announce! Coach Logie has also been recruiting since the moment he became our head coach.

Bethany Green (Cordell)
Bobcat Athletics
One thing that MSU can always lead the league in is “red tape and HR stuff.” I’ll bet they’d continue to be highly competitive in the Mountain West. 😂

Catlady
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Catlady » Sat Apr 29, 2023 2:58 pm

Aucat…… love your perspective. You might be a little dramatic, but that doesn’t make you a horrible fan, not a great one, but not a horrible either! See you at the Brick! 😂
Last edited by Catlady on Sun Apr 30, 2023 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

CatRowdy

Post by CatRowdy » Sun Apr 30, 2023 9:27 pm

allcat wrote:
Sat Apr 29, 2023 6:06 am
CatRowdy wrote:
aucat wrote:

Not sure that was really 'name calling." If so than you are right. My intention was to define the substance of the posts; over several years. Aucat it the 1st to jump ship whenever the cats don't win or whenever there is change. As if change in college sports is avoidable.

aucat

Post by aucat » Mon May 01, 2023 8:33 am

CatRowdy wrote:
Sun Apr 30, 2023 9:27 pm
allcat wrote:
Sat Apr 29, 2023 6:06 am
CatRowdy wrote:
aucat wrote:

Not sure that was really 'name calling." If so than you are right. My intention was to define the substance of the posts; over several years. Aucat it the 1st to jump ship whenever the cats don't win or whenever there is change. As if change in college sports is avoidable.
Since when does "being a fan" require that fan to be a sunshine pumper? I was merely making the point that this transfer portal and NIL money has created an environment in which the opportunity for Montana State to ever again be competitive in the NCAA tournament will be extremely difficult if not impossible. Just take look at what just happened with the outstanding Hailey Van Lith. The rich will continue to get richer.

It's different in football. We compete in the FCS division and while the portal and NIL will definitely be a factor, it's nothing compared to D-1 basketball. I wish we were in some kind of "mid major" division in basketball, because honestly, I just cannot see how any Big Sky team will be able to field a team that can compete (as we did this year) in the NCAA tournament.

And if you don't agree, I won't be on here calling you all kinds of names. Go Cats!

https://lsusports.net/news/2023/04/28/h ... r%20portal.