New WBB assistants

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

New WBB assistants

Post by AFCAT » Wed Apr 26, 2023 4:07 pm

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Re: New WBB assistants

Post by MSU01 » Wed Apr 26, 2023 5:35 pm

Welcome to the new coaches! Seems to have been some interesting dynamics on the team last year. Grace Beasley specifically thanked Coaches Bussey and Mayes as part of the bombs she threw towards Coach Binford on the way out the door, and now their contracts are not renewed.

Catlady
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Catlady » Wed Apr 26, 2023 7:05 pm

I knew there would be change when players leaving expressed their appreciation for coaches other than Binford. That’s not a swipe at Binford. She’s a great coach and will keep this program on top! When you’re a HC you have to set the culture for the program. Your assistants need to live and breathe that culture. I wish the best for Bussey and Mayes, besides Beasley, Bad Bear also expressed her appreciation for Mayes in her transfer announcement.

Binford has earned our trust. Program is going through some drama, but respect Binford for making the tough decisions!

aucat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by aucat » Wed Apr 26, 2023 7:59 pm

I think we have gotten a bit spoiled in recent years with the success that Coach Binford has had. It took her ten years coaching at MSU before she won a Big Sky championship, but then after that she continued to stay right up around the top of the conference. I hope she get find a way to continue that success but it will not be easy. Right now I'm concerned over this "drama," but Catlady is correct that Binford has earned our respect to date.

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Wed Apr 26, 2023 10:15 pm

Bussey I’m not surprised about. During the season she looked aloof, out of sorts, and just seemingly not exhibiting positive vibes around her. Since I’ve relegated my location to TV only, it’s now sometimes easier to watch some of the bench interactions than from diagonally across the arena in my long-time seats. Mayes rarely showed up on camera. I think this team is going to be just fine. 💙 💛 😺

BobcatDel
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by BobcatDel » Wed Apr 26, 2023 11:02 pm

Besides the expected assistant changes, I also continue to believe there will be further shuffle or additions to the lineup. Sure will be interesting to see the dynamics of this “newish” team. Sometimes takes awhile for newer teams to gel and show their identity………but I’m getting more excited to see how they do. Fun to watch come this fall!

imacat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by imacat » Thu Apr 27, 2023 12:36 am

Catlady wrote:
Wed Apr 26, 2023 7:05 pm
I knew there would be change when players leaving expressed their appreciation for coaches other than Binford. That’s not a swipe at Binford. She’s a great coach and will keep this program on top! When you’re a HC you have to set the culture for the program. Your assistants need to live and breathe that culture. I wish the best for Bussey and Mayes, besides Beasley, Bad Bear also expressed her appreciation for Mayes in her transfer announcement.

Binford has earned our trust. Program is going through some drama, but respect Binford for making the tough decisions!
Kola did express her appreciation for Mayes. She also expressed her strong appreciation for Binford.

I really like the bios of these hires. I think they will be strong additions. WELCOME to Bobcat Nation.

alleycat
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by alleycat » Thu Apr 27, 2023 5:44 am

I think Binford became a better coach after
John Stockton was her assistant for a year.

wapiti
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by wapiti » Thu Apr 27, 2023 8:37 am

alleycat wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2023 5:44 am
I concur

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Sat Apr 29, 2023 11:49 am

alleycat wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2023 5:44 am
No doubt. If having Stockton for a year wouldn’t help any program, I’d shred my ESPN+ schedule. That was a rare opportunity, and Coach Bin reached out to John. Very smart move.