wonder about team made of all stars from BSC...

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Joe Bobcat
Member # Retired

wonder about team made of all stars from BSC...

Post by Joe Bobcat » Thu Apr 20, 2023 1:24 pm

So all the transferring that goes on now and with the top half of our team having left and quite possibly heading to one team (USU), I got to wondering something. Suppose that a coach in the mountain west was able to get every player from the BSC all-conference team to play for him next year. Assume that those players had from now till the season started to learn their new system and each other and that they gelled reasonably well. Also assume that the coach is at least one of the better coaches in the conference if not the best. How do you think that team would do in the mountain west conference? Carry that out to taking the all-conference team from a division II conference and put them in the BSC. How well would that team do?
I myself don’t have a good enough handle on the talent differences to have much of an educated guess, so here goes a WAG.
BSC all stars making up a MW team compete for 1st and 2nd
Div II conference all stars making up a BSC team compete for 1st through 4th
Am I way off? Discuss

If you're looking for someone with a little authority, I'm your man. I have as little as anyone!

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Re: wonder about team made of all stars from BSC...

Post by Cataholic » Thu Apr 20, 2023 4:04 pm

I was actually thinking the same thing. It is a pretty interesting conversation. I was too lazy to look, but how many Big Sky All Conference honorees have entered the portal?

I think a Big Sky All Conference team would be competitive at the top of the MW. Same for national DII honorees coming in and competing in the Big Sky.

lutecat
Member # Retired

Post by lutecat » Thu Apr 20, 2023 4:37 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2023 4:04 pm
I was actually thinking the same thing. It is a pretty interesting conversation. I was too lazy to look, but how many Big Sky All Conference honorees have entered the portal?

I think a Big Sky All Conference team would be competitive at the top of the MW. Same for national DII honorees coming in and competing in the Big Sky.
I believe I saw something that said all but 2 did.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Thu Apr 20, 2023 4:48 pm

lutecat wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2023 4:37 pm
Cataholic wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2023 4:04 pm

I believe I saw something that said all but 2 did.
Of the 15 guys on the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd teams:

5 are in the portal (Battle, Venters, Knecht, Cone, Brown)
4 graduated (Allegri, Belo, C. Parker, McRae)
1 decided to forgo his Covid year (Bannan)
5 are returning next year (D. Jones, Verplancken, I. Jones, B. Parker, Moody)

dwainegf
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by dwainegf » Fri Apr 21, 2023 10:05 am

The thing that must be considered foremost on any team's list is athleticism and length. The team with the 5 eligible players in the portal would make a very good to great Big Sky Team. They would be Top half of the Mountain West and would be middle of the pack in the Pac12. This team is too short and lacks elite athletic ability, with the exception of Battle to be large minute starters. Having Cone or Brown off the bench could be workable. They are both undersized. Both Venters and Knecht would be good additions as shooters but one of them would also need to come off the bench. If you add a rim protecting center with a serviceable back-up, a rebounding, defensive minded power forward and two athletic wings, you could make a championship contender in both those conferences.