Program just got destroyed

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Re: Program just got destroyed

Post by Montanabob » Tue Apr 18, 2023 5:25 pm

The new normal for basketball.
Hope you get an undiscovered gem.
Then try to keep. Both players and coaches.

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

PHAT CAT
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by PHAT CAT » Tue Apr 18, 2023 6:21 pm

Welcome to the new world of NCAA sports. Pisses me off. But, it is what it is. :roll:

84CatGrad

Post by 84CatGrad » Tue Apr 18, 2023 6:27 pm

I, for one, think Coach Logie is a great pick (276-58 career mark? Get out of town!) and very much look forward to seeing what he can do.

tetoncat
Member # Retired

Post by tetoncat » Tue Apr 18, 2023 8:45 pm

Montanabob wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2023 5:25 pm
We should be happy to find those gems occasionally develop them and enjoy our time cheering for them, then cheer when they move on to higher NIL and bigger programs cause that's just the way it is, and they deserve it.

Sports is not bigger than life

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Tue Apr 18, 2023 10:32 pm

tetoncat wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2023 8:45 pm
Montanabob wrote:
We should be happy to find those gems occasionally develop them and enjoy our time cheering for them, then cheer when they move on to higher NIL and bigger programs cause that's just the way it is, and they deserve it.
Yep. If you told any Bobcat fan back in 2019 when Sprinkle was hired that he'd be at MSU for four years and win championships in years 3 and 4 before moving up to a better job, they'd have been ecstatic. The player transfers are unfortunate but that's how it's going to be, and the good news is that every outgoing transfer can be replaced by an incoming one who may be just as good as the guy who left.

Catlady
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Catlady » Wed Apr 19, 2023 6:55 am

MSU01 wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2023 10:32 pm
[quote=tetoncat post_id=821902 time=<a href="tel:1681872317">1681872317</a> user_id=636]
[quote=Montanabob post_id=821886 time=<a href="tel:1681860339">1681860339</a> user_id=17181]
[/quote]

Yep. If you told any Bobcat fan back in 2019 when Sprinkle was hired that he'd be at MSU for four years and win championships in years 3 and 4 before moving up to a better job, they'd have been ecstatic. The player transfers are unfortunate but that's how it's going to be, and the good news is that every outgoing transfer can be replaced by an incoming one who may be just as good as the guy who left.
[/quote]
MSU01 wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2023 10:32 pm
tetoncat wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2023 8:45 pm
Montanabob wrote:
Amen! MSU01! It’s all good! Not going to be easy, but it’s all good!

aucat

Post by aucat » Wed Apr 19, 2023 8:10 am

I was talking to my brother in law yesterday and I have come to the conclusion that the younger you are the more willing you are to accept this changed landscape and the older folks like me are disgusted and are losing interest in today’s musical chairs of rotating rosters. I do have respect and confidence in Leon Costello during these challenging times. That’s the good news.

thefrank1

Post by thefrank1 » Wed Apr 19, 2023 8:36 am

I agree with your conclusion on Leon and the quality of this hire.

As a mid level septuagenarian, I have a different take on your acceptance conclusion. I believe that one's ability to accept change is largely driven by the ability to think critically. I acknowledge that us older folk got less training in critical thinking so my generation not generally does have the same level of critical thinking skills as later generations. The increase in critical thinkiing skills gives me hope that the future is bright.

While registering my vehicles the assessor stated "I have had both Cat and Griz students and alums work for me and the Griz end up working under the direction of the Cats."

vike_king

Post by vike_king » Wed Apr 19, 2023 8:58 am

thefrank1 wrote:
Wed Apr 19, 2023 8:36 am

As a mid level septuagenarian, I have a different take on your acceptance conclusion. I believe that one's ability to accept change is largely driven by the ability to think critically. I acknowledge that us older folk got less training in critical thinking so my generation not generally does have the same level of critical thinking skills as later generations. The increase in critical thinkiing skills gives me hope that the future is bright.
As someone who is rapidly nearing Medicare age, my critical thinking makes me want to qualify your last sentence. I think the future is bright within the Big Sky Conference, but even more bleak than ever for any success post season. Since the Big Sky is now a minor league for the bigger schools, everyone is in the same boat.

Chester, MT/ Helena, MT

vike_king

Post by vike_king » Wed Apr 19, 2023 8:59 am

vike_king wrote:
Wed Apr 19, 2023 8:58 am
thefrank1 wrote:

As someone who is rapidly nearing Medicare age, my critical thinking makes me want to qualify your last sentence. I think the future is bright within the Big Sky Conference, but even more bleak than ever for any success post season. Since the Big Sky is now a developmental league for the bigger schools, everyone is in the same boat.

Chester, MT/ Helena, MT

vike_king

Post by vike_king » Wed Apr 19, 2023 9:00 am

vike_king wrote:
Wed Apr 19, 2023 8:59 am
vike_king wrote:
thefrank1 wrote:

As someone who is rapidly nearing Medicare age, my critical thinking makes me want to qualify your last sentence. I think the future is bright within the Big Sky Conference, but even more bleak than ever for any success post season. Since the Big Sky is now a developmental league for the bigger money schools, everyone is in the same boat.

Chester, MT/ Helena, MT

kennethnoisewater

Post by kennethnoisewater » Wed Apr 19, 2023 10:31 am

vike_king wrote:
thefrank1 wrote:

As someone who is rapidly nearing Medicare age, my critical thinking makes me want to qualify your last sentence. I think the future is bright within the Big Sky Conference, but even more bleak than ever for any success post season. Since the Big Sky is now a minor league for the bigger schools, everyone is in the same boat.
I agree with you on this making the BSC less relevant on the national scale. I know this isn't about football, but not long ago I was not a fan of MSU moving up to FBS football. I do think that the lower levels have become farm leagues for the bigger schools, so it is looking like MSU needs to find the highest level it can be competitive at and try to get there. Hopefully that level includes its own national championship that schools like MSU can compete for. With "free agency" for players in college athletics, there will always be guys who want to try to make it at that next level. If you're at Idaho State, you might want to move up to a Montana State to try and play for a BSC title and play in an NCAA tournament. But if you're at MSU, you might want to move up to a Utah State to try and win a game or two. And if you're at USU, you might want to try for a program that can make it to an Elite Eight. And if you're at an Elite 8/blue blood school, maybe you're just looking to stay for a year and get to the NBA. I don't think there's a level that's immune to this. As fans, we have to decide if we want to take the good with the bad and even be fans of college athletics as it is now.

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Wed Apr 19, 2023 11:06 am

thefrank1 wrote:

I’m a younger person, and I’m not going to pretend I like the constant changing of roster and coaches…but it’s difficult for me to grasp how people don’t understand why it’s happening and how it’s not awful. It’s not going to change, so we just gotta Buck up and live with it. I love sports (too much sometimes) but at the end of the day it’s just entertainment. I’m not going to live and breathe off of if we’re good or not, that’s not healthy.

tetoncat
Member # Retired

Post by tetoncat » Wed Apr 19, 2023 11:30 am

thefrank1 wrote:

Bull, you are saying older people can't think critically so don't accept portal? Maybe it is that they just like knowing at least 1/2 the players that they are cheering for.
Guess we do need names on back of jersey.

Sports is not bigger than life

luckyirishguy25
Golden Bobcat

Post by luckyirishguy25 » Wed Apr 19, 2023 11:31 am

kennethnoisewater wrote:
Wed Apr 19, 2023 10:31 am
vike_king wrote:
thefrank1 wrote:

I agree with you on this making the BSC less relevant on the national scale. I know this isn't about football, but not long ago I was not a fan of MSU moving up to FBS football. I do think that the lower levels have become farm leagues for the bigger schools, so it is looking like MSU needs to find the highest level it can be competitive at and try to get there. Hopefully that level includes its own national championship that schools like MSU can compete for. With "free agency" for players in college athletics, there will always be guys who want to try to make it at that next level. If you're at Idaho State, you might want to move up to a Montana State to try and play for a BSC title and play in an NCAA tournament. But if you're at MSU, you might want to move up to a Utah State to try and win a game or two. And if you're at USU, you might want to try for a program that can make it to an Elite Eight. And if you're at an Elite 8/blue blood school, maybe you're just looking to stay for a year and get to the NBA. I don't think there's a level that's immune to this. As fans, we have to decide if we want to take the good with the bad and even be fans of college athletics as it is now.
I think football is entirely relevant to this discussion, right now the problem holding MSU back is cash and the football program picks up a lot of the slack for everything else. MSU moving up to FBS would not only be big for football it would provide a huge infusion of cash to hire/keep coaches, trainers, players, etc. all across the board. Its needed now more than ever with the rising cost of living in Bozeman.

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Wed Apr 19, 2023 1:39 pm

FTG- GO CATS GO!

nanacat

Post by nanacat » Wed Apr 19, 2023 1:46 pm

Well that's encouraging...

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Wed Apr 19, 2023 2:25 pm

That is very interesting, or maybe it isn't? Why would they go to that if they're 100% leaving MSU... unless the administration asked them to for the optics? Total WAG on my part, who knows.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

Montanabob

Post by Montanabob » Wed Apr 19, 2023 2:31 pm

catatac wrote:
Wed Apr 19, 2023 2:25 pm
That is very interesting, or maybe it isn't? Why would they go to that if they're 100% leaving MSU... unless the administration asked them to for the optics? Total WAG on my part, who knows.
Yup. Optics for both paries involved. But until they transfer, they can always for their scholarship back, but MSU not required to let them come back with or without a scholarship.

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Wed Apr 19, 2023 2:36 pm

Battle and Osobor both stated publicly that returning is on the table. I mean I’d put Battle at like 5% and Osobor a bit higher at 15% but they did say it was in consideration. I don’t believe Ford has said that.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast