Program just got destroyed

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Re: Program just got destroyed

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Mon Apr 17, 2023 5:34 pm

coloradocat wrote:
Mon Apr 17, 2023 4:18 pm
I barely follow MSU basketball, and don't follow Big Sky basketball at all. When EWU lost their coach (and team), where did the new coach come from? Were some of the transfers from his prior team/conference? We aren't going to be able to count on Logie bringing players with him. If he does they better be the best D2 players in the country. Hopefully he can build his staff with some existing D1 assistants with connections. Otherwise it will likely be a very difficult first year.
EWU promoted an assistant. Linton Aceliese was one of their best players after the EWU turnover. He was a D-2 grad transfer. He absolutely ate us alive when he dropped 38+ on us up in Cheney. https://msubobcats.com/sports/mens-bask ... score/5903

HighPlainsBobcat
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by HighPlainsBobcat » Mon Apr 17, 2023 5:36 pm

If i was one of the remaining roster players, I’d be tempted to spit in y’all’s faces! Especially Patterson and Lecholat! They may not have stuffed the stat line, but they sure as FAK helped produce not one, but 2 BSCC’s and a trip to the dance.

While I may not have been a fan of Sprinkle leaving and the ensuing predictable waterfall effect, an extremely solid core remains. With Logie now at the helm, a guy that has proven can win, let the process play out. Sit down, drink a few of your favorite beverages, smoke a bowl or 2 and chill out!

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Mon Apr 17, 2023 5:47 pm

mslacatfan wrote:
Mon Apr 17, 2023 4:32 pm
I’m usually not one of those “the sky is falling” people……. But kinda just calling it like I see it with this situation. No bueno.

Just lost our 4 best players and our 3 best coaches in about 3 days. Hahahaha.

Not to mention the 2 big time recruits that’s decommitted.
Cmon Missoulacat. You are better than this. The parting shots at Danny are way out of line. The guy is an MSU hall of famer who clearly loves the program. Yes, the departures suck, but it wasn’t like we were a basketball power prior to Danny. We will be okay. We just need to give the guy an opportunity. And being the dedicated Cat fan you are, let’s give him a chance.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Mon Apr 17, 2023 5:53 pm

HighPlainsBobcat wrote:
Mon Apr 17, 2023 5:36 pm
If i was one of the remaining roster players, I’d be tempted to spit in y’all’s faces! Especially Patterson and Lecholat! They may not have stuffed the stat line, but they sure as FAK helped produce not one, but 2 BSCC’s and a trip to the dance.

While I may not have been a fan of Sprinkle leaving and the ensuing predictable waterfall effect, an extremely solid core remains. With Logie now at the helm, a guy that has proven can win, let the process play out. Sit down, drink a few of your favorite beverages, smoke a bowl or 2 and chill out!
McMahon and Miller too, I was impressed by both of those guys in the limited minutes they played last year. The cupboard is looking a bit sparse but there's still talent there.

HighPlainsBobcat
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by HighPlainsBobcat » Mon Apr 17, 2023 6:05 pm

MSU01 wrote:
Mon Apr 17, 2023 5:53 pm
HighPlainsBobcat wrote:
Mon Apr 17, 2023 5:36 pm

McMahon and Miller too, I was impressed by both of those guys in the limited minutes they played last year. The cupboard is looking a bit sparse but there's still talent there.
Yeah, those guys as well!!

homeytennis
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by homeytennis » Mon Apr 17, 2023 6:51 pm

I saw a stat that 35 of the top 50 juco players nationally are unsigned. There are players out there that this guy knows about that would love to come to Bozeman.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Mon Apr 17, 2023 6:53 pm

homeytennis wrote:
Mon Apr 17, 2023 6:51 pm
I saw a stat that 35 of the top 50 juco players nationally are unsigned. There are players out there that this guy knows about that would love to come to Bozeman.
Only 22% of the D-1 players in the transfer portal have committed to another school. Still plenty of talent out there to be had from a variety of levels.

The Butcher
Golden Bobcat

Post by The Butcher » Mon Apr 17, 2023 7:22 pm

mslacatfan wrote:
Mon Apr 17, 2023 4:32 pm
I’m usually not one of those “the sky is falling” people……. But kinda just calling it like I see it with this situation. No bueno.

Just lost our 4 best players and our 3 best coaches in about 3 days. Hahahaha.

Not to mention the 2 big time recruits that’s decommitted.
Exactly.
This has been a brutal 3 days.

Bocephus
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Bocephus » Mon Apr 17, 2023 7:57 pm

MSU01 wrote:
Mon Apr 17, 2023 6:53 pm
homeytennis wrote:
Mon Apr 17, 2023 6:51 pm
Only 22% of the D-1 players in the transfer portal have committed to another school. Still plenty of talent out there to be had from a variety of levels.
Right now MSU looks like a great place to transfer, plenty of open playing time and an eager new coach.

lutecat
Member # Retired

Post by lutecat » Mon Apr 17, 2023 9:11 pm

I'll say it. I would've felt alot better about the connections of the USC guy. That was my vote for coach. But Leon has made some good girls. Hopefully this is one.

tetoncat
Member # Retired

Post by tetoncat » Mon Apr 17, 2023 9:37 pm

CatBot wrote:
Mon Apr 17, 2023 3:29 pm
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Mon Apr 17, 2023 2:51 pm
Destroyed? Could we be less hyperbolic?
Yeah, seriously. Some chicken littles chirping around here.

Just to counter some of the negative hyperbole, I'll remind everyone that a first year coach, who came from a DII school, just knocked off a #1 seed in the big dance. Geezzuus people. Let's give this guy a chance.
And went 17-15 in season and got into tourney on a fluke.

Sports is not bigger than life

kennethnoisewater
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by kennethnoisewater » Mon Apr 17, 2023 11:02 pm

Give me a break. Maybe you'd rethink saying the program is destroyed, or maybe you really think the men's basketball program at Montana State University is lost forever. Last year's team is dismantled, sure, but the PROGRAM getting DESTROYED??? Same thing would have happened if it was this year or in five more years, and nobody expected Sprinkle to be in Bozeman forever. This is a transfer portal thing more than anything. Any hiccup and guys are going to bail anywhere, unless they're at a blue blood basketball school. Good news is, there's well over 1,000 guys in the portal and basketball is a sport where you can bring in all new players and compete almost immediately if they're the right guys. With that much to choose from, the right guys are there--let's just see if Logie can get them and then if he can coach them up. I'm not saying this is a good thing, but a lot more bad things are going to have to happen for me to accept that the whole program is destroyed beyond repair.

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Mon Apr 17, 2023 11:05 pm

tetoncat wrote:
Mon Apr 17, 2023 9:37 pm
CatBot wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:

Just to counter some of the negative hyperbole, I'll remind everyone that a first year coach, who came from a DII school, just knocked off a #1 seed in the big dance. Geezzuus people. Let's give this guy a chance.
There’s nothing wrong with being either optimistic or pessimistic with how things have occurred and what the next season looks like. However, it’s realistic to say that what was is over, and what can be is beginning…and, it might be time to lower our expectations for the next season and suspend judgement for the future until we see. At any rate, this isn’t the Brian Fish situation of slogging through mediocrity and needing to make a change.

lutecat
Member # Retired

Post by lutecat » Tue Apr 18, 2023 5:12 am

So are we assuming Great waited to transfer until he saw who would be the new head coach. Or until the assistants got settled in Utah and will be following them?

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Tue Apr 18, 2023 8:20 am

tetoncat wrote:
CatBot wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:

Almost identical to Sprinkle's record in Year 1 at MSU, then he followed that up with two championships in three years and a conference championship game appearance in the other. Rebuilds can happen fast if you hire a guy who can recruit well - time will tell if Logie can succeed in that aspect at the D-1 level as he did at D-2 and D-3.

seataccat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by seataccat » Tue Apr 18, 2023 9:13 am

ilovethecats wrote:
Mon Apr 17, 2023 2:59 pm
AFCAT wrote:
Mon Apr 17, 2023 2:35 pm
ilovethecats wrote:
Mon Apr 17, 2023 2:17 pm
catatac wrote:
Mon Apr 17, 2023 2:04 pm
mslacatfan wrote:
Mon Apr 17, 2023 1:44 pm
I was just thinking about how different the choate vs sprinkle departures have been.

Choate left a phenomenal program, flush with talent, ready for the next coach to step in and take it to the next level.

Sprinkle…. Ha, the exact opposite. The program just got completely gutted….. I wonder how he feels about that, or if he even cares at all (probably not).

Pretty depressing. It’s crazy, next year looked to be the best team in program history……. Wtf just happened.
I think Sprinkle absolutely does care about his alma mater, will always be a true Bobcat, and will always bleed blue and gold. I don't think there's any way in hell he's doing anything to intentionally hurt the Cats. He's just been put in a position by policies out of his control, to where he has to do what is right for himself and his family, his assistant coaches, and his players.
Totally agree.

Honestly I don't know where some of these comments are coming from. Anyone paying any attention knew if Danny had the success we thought he'd have, that he'd be on to bigger things in 4-5 years. I thought he was gone last season.

All he did was everything we needed for our program. By doing that he got opportunities to make substantially more money. These days when coaches leave, some players are going to follow. Recruits who expected to play for a coach will decommit when that coach moves on. This isn't groundbreaking stuff.

I'm personally very happy for Danny, happy for our players exploring new opportunities, and excited for a new coach and what he can do for this program. Could it be terrible? Sure, that's the case with about 95% of new hires. It could also go great. Wouldn't it be better to sit back and see what it looks like before deciding the program is destroyed? :-k
Not much left of the program and championship team (players and coaches) that Danny built. I think that's why people are saying the program was destroyed. Nowhere to go but up, I’ll give you that.
Well ya. And if that core of guys were the ONLY ones capable of winning the Big Sky I'd agree. But who's to say this coach won't be even better than Sprinkle? Who's to say that in the next couple years we won't bring in even better players than those that just departed? I just don't see sports working that way is all I'm saying.
The original point was the difference between what was left of the football program when choate left and the basketball program when sprinkle left. It was not a total wreck with the football team but it is with the basketball team. Of course, it goes without saying that a new coach can come in and rebuild it like any other coach at any other program but the point is that it's a complete rebuild. As cat fans we're all hoping the new coach is successful.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Voltaire

Camo_Cat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Camo_Cat » Tue Apr 18, 2023 9:27 am

Since we keep comparing our current situation to what happened at EWU a few years ago, I thought it would be interesting to note that EWU just lost their best player last week to the portal. Steele Venters gets picked up by Gonzaga via the portal: https://www.zagsblog.com/2023/04/17/gon ... e-venters/

This is just life now in the portal. Gone are the days of building a team from scratch with freshmen and watching a guy develop for 3-4 fours. We are all Kentucky now....

"I love Bozeman. I love these people. I love the Cats. I even love this weather. You think I'm gonna pick Missoula? You're crazy - gimme the Cat head!!" -- Lee Corso, ESPN GameDay

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Tue Apr 18, 2023 9:37 am

EWU continues to be successful in all sports because they've developed a reputation as a place where coaches can go to move up, and players can go to take their next step, either pro or up the collegiate food chain. The Groves brothers both went to Oklahoma, Venters just signed at Gonzaga. The best Big Sky player potentially ever from the Big Sky? Cooper Kupp right now, and he's not the only EWU player in the NFL. Everyone knows Damian Lillard but the other Big Sky player drafted and who started in the league for a few years? Rodney Stuckey, EWU, 15th overall pick in 2007. Beau Baldwin went to Cal, Shantay Legans to Portland, and countless assistants have moved up in both programs.

EWU has embraced this, basically operating a bit like a JUCO. They always have another hire ready to go, and maybe they dip a bit if there is a huge roster turnover but they just reload. I guess we can ask EWU fans if they think the roster turnover is worth the success, but I'd guess most say yes.

The landscape is different, adapt or die. We can bitch about it, threaten to not renew season tickets, yell at players and coaches on social media, but it's here to stay. MSU will rebound, we have a driven athletic department right now.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

tetoncat
Member # Retired

Post by tetoncat » Tue Apr 18, 2023 1:20 pm

There has been a lot of chatter on this board over the years about EWU being easy to get into and low academics. Is it easier to get transfers and reload there?

Sports is not bigger than life

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Tue Apr 18, 2023 3:12 pm

catsrback76 wrote:
Mon Apr 17, 2023 11:05 pm
tetoncat wrote:
CatBot wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:

There’s nothing wrong with being either optimistic or pessimistic with how things have occurred and what the next season looks like. However, it’s realistic to say that what was is over, and what can be is beginning…and, it might be time to lower our expectations for the next season and suspend judgement for the future until we see. At any rate, this isn’t the Brian Fish situation of slogging through mediocrity and needing to make a change.
Yep, time for people to quit complaining, feeling sorry for ourselves, and assuming Bobcat hoops is gonna take a huge step back. Personally, I’m excited about seeing what this guy can do. Next year we might all be saying… finally! We finally found a way to win a game at the dance. No I’m not putting any $$ on that. :lol:

Great time to be a BOBCAT!