Program just got destroyed

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Program just got destroyed

Post by mslacatfan » Mon Apr 17, 2023 1:44 pm

I was just thinking about how different the choate vs sprinkle departures have been.

Choate left a phenomenal program, flush with talent, ready for the next coach to step in and take it to the next level.

Sprinkle…. Ha, the exact opposite. The program just got completely gutted….. I wonder how he feels about that, or if he even cares at all (probably not).

Pretty depressing. It’s crazy, next year looked to be the best team in program history……. Wtf just happened.

FTG- GO CATS GO!

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Re: Program just got destroyed

Post by Cat Grad » Mon Apr 17, 2023 1:47 pm

Nope. The new hire will bring in a half dozen frosh and a few off the portal and win a game in the tournament. Probably Utah State. Poetic justice will be served.

WYCAT
Member # Retired

Post by WYCAT » Mon Apr 17, 2023 1:47 pm

It is crazy if you really look at what we were and what we are now just weeks later. Coach Logie is in a tough spot. I'm not sure John Woodwn could pull a rabbit out of this hat. Best of luck Coach!

You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves." - Abraham Lincoln

luckyirishguy25
Golden Bobcat

Post by luckyirishguy25 » Mon Apr 17, 2023 1:47 pm

mslacatfan wrote:
Mon Apr 17, 2023 1:44 pm
I was just thinking about how different the choate vs sprinkle departures have been.

Choate left a phenomenal program, flush with talent, ready for the next coach to step in and take it to the next level.

Sprinkle…. Ha, the exact opposite. The program just got completely gutted….. I wonder how he feels about that, or if he even cares at all (probably not).

Pretty depressing. It’s crazy, next year looked to be the best team in program history……. Wtf just happened.
We didn't have a Troy Andersen on the Basketball team, I think that was huge for the coaching changed there.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Mon Apr 17, 2023 2:04 pm

mslacatfan wrote:

I think Sprinkle absolutely does care about his alma mater, will always be a true Bobcat, and will always bleed blue and gold. I don't think there's any way in hell he's doing anything to intentionally hurt the Cats. He's just been put in a position by policies out of his control, to where he has to do what is right for himself and his family, his assistant coaches, and his players.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Mon Apr 17, 2023 2:15 pm

catatac wrote:
Mon Apr 17, 2023 2:04 pm
mslacatfan wrote:

I think Sprinkle absolutely does care about his alma mater, will always be a true Bobcat, and will always bleed blue and gold. I don't think there's any way in hell he's doing anything to intentionally hurt the Cats. He's just been put in a position by policies out of his control, to where he has to do what is right for himself and his family, his assistant coaches, and his players.
Intentionally. No. There is no way to look at the program right now other than a complete rebuild.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Mon Apr 17, 2023 2:17 pm

catatac wrote:
mslacatfan wrote:

Totally agree.

Honestly I don't know where some of these comments are coming from. Anyone paying any attention knew if Danny had the success we thought he'd have, that he'd be on to bigger things in 4-5 years. I thought he was gone last season.

All he did was everything we needed for our program. By doing that he got opportunities to make substantially more money. These days when coaches leave, some players are going to follow. Recruits who expected to play for a coach will decommit when that coach moves on. This isn't groundbreaking stuff.

I'm personally very happy for Danny, happy for our players exploring new opportunities, and excited for a new coach and what he can do for this program. Could it be terrible? Sure, that's the case with about 95% of new hires. It could also go great. Wouldn't it be better to sit back and see what it looks like before deciding the program is destroyed? :-k

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Mon Apr 17, 2023 2:35 pm

ilovethecats wrote:
Mon Apr 17, 2023 2:17 pm
catatac wrote:
mslacatfan wrote:

Totally agree.

Honestly I don't know where some of these comments are coming from. Anyone paying any attention knew if Danny had the success we thought he'd have, that he'd be on to bigger things in 4-5 years. I thought he was gone last season.

All he did was everything we needed for our program. By doing that he got opportunities to make substantially more money. These days when coaches leave, some players are going to follow. Recruits who expected to play for a coach will decommit when that coach moves on. This isn't groundbreaking stuff.

I'm personally very happy for Danny, happy for our players exploring new opportunities, and excited for a new coach and what he can do for this program. Could it be terrible? Sure, that's the case with about 95% of new hires. It could also go great. Wouldn't it be better to sit back and see what it looks like before deciding the program is destroyed? :-k
Not much left of the program and championship team (players and coaches) that Danny built. I think that's why people are saying the program was destroyed. Nowhere to go but up, I’ll give you that.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

The Butcher
Golden Bobcat

Post by The Butcher » Mon Apr 17, 2023 2:49 pm

Hawks86 wrote:
Mon Apr 17, 2023 2:15 pm
catatac wrote:
mslacatfan wrote:

Intentionally. No. There is no way to look at the program right now other than a complete rebuild.
I can't imagine Logie knows how to play the portal at a D-1 level to be successful in finding a bunch of players in a few months, so I would agree this is a full rebuild (probably would be the case with any hire). I would be surprised if the team posts a winning record next season. What a bummer.

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Mon Apr 17, 2023 2:51 pm

Destroyed? Could we be less hyperbolic?

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Mon Apr 17, 2023 2:58 pm

ilovethecats wrote:
catatac wrote:
mslacatfan wrote:

Totally agree.

DeCuire and Houck. Both could have been long gone a few years ago for a few bucks more.

Now, believe it or not but I think the basketball team is in a better place now. The all important schedule will go a long ways to determine first year success. Hoping for a mix of Craft and Starner this year.

Will always appreciate an individual such as Mark Few who came in and destroyed Monson's memory and is still there.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Mon Apr 17, 2023 2:59 pm

AFCAT wrote:
Mon Apr 17, 2023 2:35 pm
ilovethecats wrote:
catatac wrote:
mslacatfan wrote:

Totally agree.

Not much left of the program and championship team (players and coaches) that Danny built. I think that's why people are saying the program was destroyed. Nowhere to go but up, I’ll give you that.
Well ya. And if that core of guys were the ONLY ones capable of winning the Big Sky I'd agree. But who's to say this coach won't be even better than Sprinkle? Who's to say that in the next couple years we won't bring in even better players than those that just departed? I just don't see sports working that way is all I'm saying.

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Mon Apr 17, 2023 3:17 pm

I hope we can be like EWU. They lost most of their roster when Shantay Legans left for Portland. The next season EWU reloaded-with a few transfers-and were very good. The year after that they had one of the best regular seasons in Big Sky history. Most of the league other than Weber is dealing with major losses to the portal. That will level the playing field a little bit.

CatBot
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by CatBot » Mon Apr 17, 2023 3:29 pm

BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Mon Apr 17, 2023 2:51 pm
Yeah, seriously. Some chicken littles chirping around here.

Just to counter some of the negative hyperbole, I'll remind everyone that a first year coach, who came from a DII school, just knocked off a #1 seed in the big dance. Geezzuus people. Let's give this guy a chance.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Mon Apr 17, 2023 4:13 pm

ilovethecats wrote:
Mon Apr 17, 2023 2:59 pm
AFCAT wrote:
Mon Apr 17, 2023 2:35 pm
ilovethecats wrote:
catatac wrote:
mslacatfan wrote:

Totally agree.

Well ya. And if that core of guys were the ONLY ones capable of winning the Big Sky I'd agree. But who's to say this coach won't be even better than Sprinkle? Who's to say that in the next couple years we won't bring in even better players than those that just departed? I just don't see sports working that way is all I'm saying.
Yes, we can build another house or purchase a new one, but the old one is gone.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Mon Apr 17, 2023 4:18 pm

I barely follow MSU basketball, and don't follow Big Sky basketball at all. When EWU lost their coach (and team), where did the new coach come from? Were some of the transfers from his prior team/conference? We aren't going to be able to count on Logie bringing players with him. If he does they better be the best D2 players in the country. Hopefully he can build his staff with some existing D1 assistants with connections. Otherwise it will likely be a very difficult first year.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

Catlady
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Catlady » Mon Apr 17, 2023 4:25 pm

CatBot wrote:
Mon Apr 17, 2023 3:29 pm
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Mon Apr 17, 2023 2:51 pm
Yeah, seriously. Some chicken littles chirping around here.

Just to counter some of the negative hyperbole, I'll remind everyone that a first year coach, who came from a DII school, just knocked off a #1 seed in the big dance. Geezzuus people. Let's give this guy a chance.
Finally someone with a little attitude! This woe is me crap sucks! Feel like asking if they know Belushi's remember when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor speech? Or the Annie "The sun will come out tomorrow" song!

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Mon Apr 17, 2023 4:32 pm

I’m usually not one of those “the sky is falling” people……. But kinda just calling it like I see it with this situation. No bueno.

Just lost our 4 best players and our 3 best coaches in about 3 days. Hahahaha.

Not to mention the 2 big time recruits that’s decommitted.

FTG- GO CATS GO!

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Mon Apr 17, 2023 5:05 pm

coloradocat wrote:
Mon Apr 17, 2023 4:18 pm
I barely follow MSU basketball, and don't follow Big Sky basketball at all. When EWU lost their coach (and team), where did the new coach come from? Were some of the transfers from his prior team/conference? We aren't going to be able to count on Logie bringing players with him. If he does they better be the best D2 players in the country. Hopefully he can build his staff with some existing D1 assistants with connections. Otherwise it will likely be a very difficult first year.
Eastern promoted their top assistant when Legans left for Portland. I'm not too concerned about Logie's recruiting connections, he has a lot of ties up and down the west coast. Maybe he can just set his sights a bit higher now recruiting to a D-1 school instead of to the D-2 level.

CatBot
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by CatBot » Mon Apr 17, 2023 5:12 pm

mslacatfan wrote:
Mon Apr 17, 2023 4:32 pm
I’m usually not one of those “the sky is falling” people……. But kinda just calling it like I see it with this situation. No bueno.

Just lost our 4 best players and our 3 best coaches in about 3 days. Hahahaha.

Not to mention the 2 big time recruits that’s decommitted.
Tobin Anderson, the FDU coach I referenced above, even started two guys from his DII team and still took down Purdue. The guys that are still here really want to be here. That's great. Now Logie will build the rest of the team with HIS guys.

It's insane to think this can't be done quickly and efficiently in this day and age. Let's give the guy a chance.