Matt Logie is the Guy

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

spring creek cat
BobcatNation Team Captain

Re: Matt Logie is the Guy

Post by spring creek cat » Mon Apr 17, 2023 2:23 pm

It is really hard to get excited about this! I really feel sorry the guy, he is in an almost impossible situation! It seems like an underwhelming hire and to lose Osobor on basically the same day is really bad and not very encouraging! I know the way i feel is just due to the “hangover “ of losing sprinkle and all the players on what could have been an all time great team, but I am not very excited about this! I guess back to football!!

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Mon Apr 17, 2023 2:32 pm

Perhaps I'm the only one who feels we'll be better next next year than the one just (it seems) completed. I watched Wyoming go from a 25 win season with virtually their entire roster back to include a possible lottery pick two years ago to only winning 6 games. I'm excited for the young man and really look forward to what his style of basketball will be in the school that invented the fast break. Gulf Coast basketball? My hopes anyway, especially at elevation.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Mon Apr 17, 2023 2:38 pm

Cat Grad wrote:
Mon Apr 17, 2023 2:32 pm
Perhaps I'm the only one who feels we'll be better next next year than the one just (it seems) completed. I watched Wyoming go from a 25 win season with virtually their entire roster back to include a possible lottery pick two years ago to only winning 6 games. I'm excited for the young man and really look forward to what his style of basketball will be in the school that invented the fast break. Gulf Coast basketball? My hopes anyway, especially at elevation.
I don't see MSU improving next year but overall I'm excited too, it will be fun to see how Coach Logie and his staff build the program and try to get MSU back to championship contention. Look forward, not back. Go Cats!

The Butcher
Golden Bobcat

Post by The Butcher » Mon Apr 17, 2023 2:39 pm

Costello has had solid hires, so I trust this decision.
However; I do agree this announcement seems to be a pretty underwhelming choice...
Hope we have a roster in the next month for him to work with.

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Mon Apr 17, 2023 2:42 pm

MSU01 wrote:
Mon Apr 17, 2023 2:38 pm
Cat Grad wrote:
Mon Apr 17, 2023 2:32 pm
I don't see MSU improving next year but overall I'm excited too, it will be fun to see how Coach Logie and his staff build the program and try to get MSU back to championship contention. Look forward, not back. Go Cats!
The reason I love the portal is that we no longer have to play against teams that hog all the talent. Immediate success, as it should be in athletics. No time to build programs (or for old men...).

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Mon Apr 17, 2023 3:00 pm

I guess I don’t see why he’s an underwhelming hire? He’s got a very solid resume.

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Mon Apr 17, 2023 3:11 pm

Kinda feels like when Vigen replaced Choate...Seemed a little underwhelming at first. But we all know how that's worked out.
I feel like this guy is going to be a great fit.
Now he needs to find a lot of players really fast.

Of course Vigen didn't have to replace half the roster, but I digress.
Welcome Coach Logie!

TIrwin24
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by TIrwin24 » Mon Apr 17, 2023 3:39 pm

If there's one thing that's true at Montana State; the administration (Leon & Waded) will give Coach Logie every chance to succeed. There is a strong pedigree of success at MSU and I for one, am stoked to see what he is able to bring to the court.

"I've always followed in my father's footsteps, not necessarily because I wanted to, but because it is in my spirit."

-Singlefin Yellow

Bobcat4Ever

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Mon Apr 17, 2023 4:15 pm

Logie and the USC guy were my top and only choices. Not impressed with anyone else really. I just hope Coach Logie has better success in the Big Sky than the last coach that made the jump from Pt. Loma — fellow by the name of Looney.

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Mon Apr 17, 2023 4:26 pm

I think everyone would be much more excited if we hadn't just come off of back to back conference championship/NCAA Tournament seasons. He seems like a good hire and a guy that can build a very successful team. It probably won't be long before we're back in the championship game in Boise.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Mon Apr 17, 2023 4:29 pm

coloradocat wrote:
Mon Apr 17, 2023 4:26 pm
I think everyone would be much more excited if we hadn't just come off of back to back conference championship/NCAA Tournament seasons. He seems like a good hire and a guy that can build a very successful team. It probably won't be long before we're back in the championship game in Boise.
I've been saying this, but this is uncharted territory for us. We haven't had a coached hired away in damn near 100 years. It's a whole different feeling than having a coach fired.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

Camo_Cat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Camo_Cat » Mon Apr 17, 2023 4:40 pm

So, the process for next season begins. One would think that like many coaches that take new head coaching positions, we can probably assume that Logie will bring a couple of his guys with him. Just like Danny did with going to Utah State. Looking at Point Loma's staff, it would not be surprising to see Logie bring Julius Smith or Justin Downer with him, or both. Most coaches like to have that familiarity. Plus, I would assume an assistant coaching gig at MSU pays more than Point Loma. Does he keep Johnny Hill on staff? Maybe it's not necessary to have someone from the staff previously, as no one from last year's team will be around.

Next - addressing the current roster. Your most seasoned player is now Tyler Patterson. Not a bad start. I think we can all agree that Tyler's potential has not yet been achieved, and perhaps we will see a RaeQuan-type of season from Tyler next year. Outside of Tyler, the only other Bobcat that has seen significant minutes is Sam Lecholat. This will be essentially a complete rebuild of the roster.

Transfer portal - the spring deadline is May 11. Less than one month. This will be the real challenge with Danny taking the USU job late in the process. There may be some gems left in the portal, but Logie will have to do some digging. Hopefully he has built some contacts with his time in the college b-ball world, because coming from a DII school, I am not sure how adept he is in navigating the portal.

Lastly, you need to address the fanbase. Bobcat basketball was almost DOA before Danny got here. Less than 1,000 fans in the stands, no chatter surrounding the team, and no spark to create an interest. Let's be honest - one of the main reasons fans started coming back was just to see Danny. The winning that came was just a bonus in helping to put butts in the seats again. Excitement was at an all-time high. People wanted to see Danny. People wanted to see Belo. People wanted to Battle. Will a roster of relative unknowns, from staff to players, be able to maintain the excitement. Winning early will help, but one can imagine that most likely we will see a drop again in attendance.

I will always wish the next man up the best. I'm a Bobcat; it's in my DNA. Win or lose, I will always be there. But I am even having some serious doubts right now, as we have never seen a transition like this before in Bobcat athletics. Kramer's first season as football head coach is close, as he came in with almost an entire new staff and cleaned house of a lot of the players from the previous team. And we all remember how his first season went. Yes, the wins eventually came, but the heartburn to get there was tough. I see a similar situation here, unless Logie can grab 2-3 key transfers right away.

"I love Bozeman. I love these people. I love the Cats. I even love this weather. You think I'm gonna pick Missoula? You're crazy - gimme the Cat head!!" -- Lee Corso, ESPN GameDay

Joe Bobcat

Post by Joe Bobcat » Mon Apr 17, 2023 4:53 pm

Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Mon Apr 17, 2023 4:15 pm
Logie and the USC guy were my top and only choices. Not impressed with anyone else really. I just hope Coach Logie has better success in the Big Sky than the last coach that made the jump from Pt. Loma — fellow by the name of Looney.
Not a fair comparison, you send almost any coach to Idaho state and it's not going to be pretty.

Ok our house has nearly burned to the ground but in this day and age a new and good house can be rebuilt in short order.
The secret is to hire a good construction company. We'll just have to see if Coach Logie is a great builder who can build quickly.
I wish him the best.

If you're looking for someone with a little authority, I'm your man. I have as little as anyone!

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Mon Apr 17, 2023 5:10 pm

At least we didn't hire an assistant from a mediocre program like Cal State Fullerton with no head coaching experience. ;)
Last edited by wbtfg on Mon Apr 17, 2023 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Mon Apr 17, 2023 5:11 pm

coloradocat wrote:
Mon Apr 17, 2023 4:26 pm
Reading this thread and others, Bobcat fans have clearly not yet become used to feeling disappointment when a coach leaves instead of the old feeling of relief that they're finally gone.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Mon Apr 17, 2023 5:27 pm

Excited about this hire. He was one of the top coaches in Division II. He has won everywhere he has been. He has coached and developed connections in both Southern California and the Pacific Northwest. I am hoping his assistant comes with him, but we will have to give him some time to build the program.

To all the naysayers, MSU is a logical coaching stop for rising up and coming coaches. This is the type of coach that we should be pursuing. Fish was an assistant at Oregon and that did not work out. And many P5 or G5 assistants might view a Big Sky job as a step backwards. I think this is a great hire!

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Mon Apr 17, 2023 5:31 pm

Camo_Cat wrote:
Mon Apr 17, 2023 4:40 pm
So, the process for next season begins. One would think that like many coaches that take new head coaching positions, we can probably assume that Logie will bring a couple of his guys with him. Just like Danny did with going to Utah State. Looking at Point Loma's staff, it would not be surprising to see Logie bring Julius Smith or Justin Downer with him, or both. Most coaches like to have that familiarity. Plus, I would assume an assistant coaching gig at MSU pays more than Point Loma. Does he keep Johnny Hill on staff? Maybe it's not necessary to have someone from the staff previously, as no one from last year's team will be around.

Next - addressing the current roster. Your most seasoned player is now Tyler Patterson. Not a bad start. I think we can all agree that Tyler's potential has not yet been achieved, and perhaps we will see a RaeQuan-type of season from Tyler next year. Outside of Tyler, the only other Bobcat that has seen significant minutes is Sam Lecholat. This will be essentially a complete rebuild of the roster.

Transfer portal - the spring deadline is May 11. Less than one month. This will be the real challenge with Danny taking the USU job late in the process. There may be some gems left in the portal, but Logie will have to do some digging. Hopefully he has built some contacts with his time in the college b-ball world, because coming from a DII school, I am not sure how adept he is in navigating the portal.

Lastly, you need to address the fanbase. Bobcat basketball was almost DOA before Danny got here. Less than 1,000 fans in the stands, no chatter surrounding the team, and no spark to create an interest. Let's be honest - one of the main reasons fans started coming back was just to see Danny. The winning that came was just a bonus in helping to put butts in the seats again. Excitement was at an all-time high. People wanted to see Danny. People wanted to see Belo. People wanted to Battle. Will a roster of relative unknowns, from staff to players, be able to maintain the excitement. Winning early will help, but one can imagine that most likely we will see a drop again in attendance.

I will always wish the next man up the best. I'm a Bobcat; it's in my DNA. Win or lose, I will always be there. But I am even having some serious doubts right now, as we have never seen a transition like this before in Bobcat athletics. Kramer's first season as football head coach is close, as he came in with almost an entire new staff and cleaned house of a lot of the players from the previous team. And we all remember how his first season went. Yes, the wins eventually came, but the heartburn to get there was tough. I see a similar situation here, unless Logie can grab 2-3 key transfers right away.
Don’t forget Patrick McMahan as well. The kid can play and will be a solid player next year.

Also, MSU may now look like a great destination for kids in the portal. If you entered the portal looking for more playing time, MSU definitely will provide an opportunity for immediate playing time.

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Mon Apr 17, 2023 5:40 pm

MSU01 wrote:
Mon Apr 17, 2023 5:11 pm
Reading this thread and others, Bobcat fans have clearly not yet become used to feeling disappointment when a coach leaves instead of the old feeling of relief that they're finally gone.
I think you nailed it.

Catfanatic84

Post by Catfanatic84 » Mon Apr 17, 2023 6:06 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Mon Apr 17, 2023 5:27 pm
Excited about this hire. He was one of the top coaches in Division II. He has won everywhere he has been. He has coached and developed connections in both Southern California and the Pacific Northwest. I am hoping his assistant comes with him, but we will have to give him some time to build the program.

To all the naysayers, MSU is a logical coaching stop for rising up and coming coaches. This is the type of coach that we should be pursuing. Fish was an assistant at Oregon and that did not work out. And many P5 or G5 assistants might view a Big Sky job as a step backwards. I think this is a great hire!
Agreed.....the guy's been hugely successful wherever he's been....Dan Dickau called it a home run hire. I'm excited to see what he can accomplish! Go Cats!!

thefrank1

Post by thefrank1 » Mon Apr 17, 2023 6:15 pm

BelgradeBobcat wrote:
Mon Apr 17, 2023 5:40 pm
MSU01 wrote:
Mon Apr 17, 2023 5:11 pm
I think you nailed it.
=D^ =D^ =D^ =D^ =D^

While registering my vehicles the assessor stated "I have had both Cat and Griz students and alums work for me and the Griz end up working under the direction of the Cats."