Matt Logie is the Guy

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Re: Matt Logie is the Guy

Post by MSU01 » Tue Apr 18, 2023 2:36 pm

Willneal wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2023 1:38 pm
VimSince03 wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2023 8:38 am
Willneal wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2023 7:53 am
Long Time Cat wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2023 7:46 am
Bocephus wrote:
Mon Apr 17, 2023 7:47 pm
wbtfg wrote:
Mon Apr 17, 2023 5:10 pm
At least we didn't hire an assistant from a mediocre program like Cal State Fullerton with no head coaching experience. ;)
Beat me to it. My gawd people.
About the only reason we had to be excited about Sprinkle was that he was a former Cat, and a good one. If Logie had been a stud player for the Cats most would all be stoked right now. Instead he was a stud player for Lehigh. I encourage everyone to back away from the ledge and see what he can do.
Go Cats!
Pulling for our new coach and will give him a fair change but
Would like to see a wow/surprise hire on his staff. A “wow…how did he hire that guy?” Moment
Do you have $250,000 for an assistant coach?
No different than recruiting against teams that offer more NIL money, sell, Bozeman, sell MSU.
Example… Us hiring Andy Hill was a bit of a surprise hire, Considering what he was making at New Mex and Utah. I just don’t want to see him bring his D2 staff and his buddy who still coaches at Whitworth. That that would be underwhelming…ensembling a staff is a form recruiting.
I get your point, but plenty of "underwhelming" hires turn out to be great coaches who are just looking for their first opportunity at this level. Chris Haslam would be a great example. Personally I won't be surprised to see Logie retain Johnny Hill to provide at least a little continuity on the staff.

nanacat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by nanacat » Tue Apr 18, 2023 4:21 pm

Any chance he'll get some of the guys who entered the portal back?

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Tue Apr 18, 2023 5:01 pm

kennethnoisewater wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2023 9:22 am
wbtfg wrote:
At least we didn't hire an assistant from a mediocre program like Cal State Fullerton with no head coaching experience. ;)
This really is pretty unbelievable. I told somebody last night he looks better on paper than Sprinkle when he was coming in and they looked at me like I had three heads. I think some people assume it was some big steal that we got Danny, as if he was just coaching the Golden State Warriors.
I can’t think of anyone that came to the BSC that was considered a lock to become a good coach/winning coach. Probably because it’s never happened. Whoever msu hired was going to fit that category.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

Long Time Cat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Long Time Cat » Tue Apr 18, 2023 5:12 pm

nanacat wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2023 4:21 pm
Any chance he'll get some of the guys who entered the portal back?
This is what I am wondering too.

"Confidence is contagious. So is a lack of confidence." Vince Lombardi

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Tue Apr 18, 2023 5:15 pm

Willneal wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
Willneal wrote:
Long Time Cat wrote:
Bocephus wrote:
wbtfg wrote:
About the only reason we had to be excited about Sprinkle was that he was a former Cat, and a good one. If Logie had been a stud player for the Cats most would all be stoked right now. Instead he was a stud player for Lehigh. I encourage everyone to back away from the ledge and see what he can do.
Go Cats!
Would like to see a wow/surprise hire on his staff. A “wow…how did he hire that guy?” Moment
No different than recruiting against teams that offer more NIL money, sell, Bozeman, sell MSU.
Example… Us hiring Andy Hill was a bit of a surprise hire, Considering what he was making at New Mex and Utah. I just don’t want to see him bring his D2 staff and his buddy who still coaches at Whitworth. That that would be underwhelming…ensembling a staff is a form recruiting.
Geez man.. Andy Hill was an assistant at Utah for his buddy, Larry Kristowiak. Kristowiak was fired and Hill lost his job. He ended up at New Mexico for one season before ending at MSU . I think Hill is a decent coach, but hard to say his career was on an upward trajectory.

And assistants at the Big Sky level can barely afford rent in Bozeman. Expecting D1 assistants at P5 or G5 schools to come to Bozeman for an assistants position is not realistic. I would be surprised if our assistants are making $60,000 per year.

Why are you so worried about his assistants? Do you know them or have any other reason to think they are incompetent?

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD
Member # Retired

Post by BLACKnBLUEnGOLD » Tue Apr 18, 2023 8:04 pm

RobertCats wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2023 1:22 pm
So listening to Nuanez Now and their breakdown of Logie (great listen if you haven't partaken https://share.transistor.fm/s/e68ac378 ) and they talk about Logie bringing Whitworth to Missoula for a handful of years to play an exhibition game. Colter mentioned he watched a few of those games with Logie at the helm and said they were always competitive, his team shot a lot of 3's and were well-coached. So I looked back at all those exhibition games of Logie-coached teams vs teams playing up a level or two.

2012-2013: Whitworth (DIII) 65 Idaho State (DI) 68 (35-40 at half)
2014-2015: Whitworth (DIII) 79 Montana 94 (DI) (31-47 at half)
2015-2016: Whitworth (DIII) 64 vs Montana (DI) 83 (couldn't find half score but Whitworth was up 44-43 with 17:22 left)
2016-2017: Whitworth (DIII) 80 vs Montana (DI) 90 (38-38 at half)
2017-2018: Whitworth (DIII) 60 vs Montana (DI) 72 (29-32 at half)
2018-2019: Whitworth (DIII) 58 vs Montana (DI) 90 (30-41 at half) ***Ouch, but this was the gris team that won the BSC and went 26-9 (16-4)
2021-2022: Point Loma (DII) 77 vs Pepperdine (DI) 50

So only one DI win, but he almost always competed with his DIII roster. All these exhibition games were played on the road as well. Might not mean a thing, but the guy obviously knows how to coach the game and he wins EVERYWHERE he goes.
"So they hired a guy who can't beat the griz?"

:lol:

I'm just joking. I'm actually less worried about this hire than the previous one. Maybe they guessed right, maybe they guessed wrong, but last time there was also a possibility that they hired the wrong guy because of a nostalgia factor. (Obviously that didn't happen.) This time that certainly won't be the case.

I don't know enough about basketball, and I know even less about coaching basketball, to pretend to have a useful opinion one way or the other before seeing his teams play.

"What's our job? Gettin the offense the ball! How we gonna do it? By any means necessary!"

-Trent King, Playmakers

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Tue Apr 18, 2023 9:09 pm

mslacat wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2023 8:41 am
Costello NEEDS to get Matt Logie in front of a camera and let him rally the fans/boosters NOW!
Here ya go

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Wed Apr 19, 2023 5:39 am

Willneal
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Willneal » Wed Apr 19, 2023 7:09 am

Cataholic wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2023 5:15 pm
Willneal wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
Willneal wrote:
Long Time Cat wrote:
Bocephus wrote:
wbtfg wrote:
Go Cats!
Geez man.. Andy Hill was an assistant at Utah for his buddy, Larry Kristowiak. Kristowiak was fired and Hill lost his job. He ended up at New Mexico for one season before ending at MSU . I think Hill is a decent coach, but hard to say his career was on an upward trajectory.

And assistants at the Big Sky level can barely afford rent in Bozeman. Expecting D1 assistants at P5 or G5 schools to come to Bozeman for an assistants position is not realistic. I would be surprised if our assistants are making $60,000 per year.

Why are you so worried about his assistants? Do you know them or have any other reason to think they are incompetent?
Why I’m I so worried? Lol not worried but isn’t this a fan message board to create conversation? Again building a staff and hiring people who don’t or “shouldn’t” come here is a form of recruitment. That what I was getting at
Trajectory of his career is speculation, some wound say his experience of 10 years in the Pac 12 was a good thing. I’m simply saying with Matt’s limited D1 experience it would be good to see someone to counter balance that with “high level experience”.
Top asst at MSU makes 70+ Plus incentives. I believe all the assistants this season got a 5-10k+ bonus. That doesn’t include possible camp money.

I do appreciate the dialogue, truly

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Wed Apr 19, 2023 7:35 am

Willneal wrote:
Wed Apr 19, 2023 7:09 am
Cataholic wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2023 5:15 pm
Willneal wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
Willneal wrote:
Long Time Cat wrote:
Bocephus wrote:
wbtfg wrote:
Go Cats!

Why I’m I so worried? Lol not worried but isn’t this a fan message board to create conversation? Again building a staff and hiring people who don’t or “shouldn’t” come here is a form of recruitment. That what I was getting at
Trajectory of his career is speculation, some wound say his experience of 10 years in the Pac 12 was a good thing. I’m simply saying with Matt’s limited D1 experience it would be good to see someone to counter balance that with “high level experience”.
Top asst at MSU makes 70+ Plus incentives. I believe all the assistants this season got a 5-10k+ bonus. That doesn’t include possible camp money.

I do appreciate the dialogue, truly
There may be a difference between “creating conversation” and stating that you hope he doesn’t bring his former assistants. Sound like you may be speculating as well on his past assistants abilities.

Didn’t realize that MSU basketball assistants are around $70,000 now. Much better than the past, but still probably not going to lure a D1 assistant from an upper tier program.

thefrank1

Post by thefrank1 » Wed Apr 19, 2023 8:19 am

CelticCat wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2023 9:09 pm
mslacat wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2023 8:41 am
Costello NEEDS to get Matt Logie in front of a camera and let him rally the fans/boosters NOW!
Here ya go

Overstating the obvious here. This guy is a definite winner and will take our team to the next level.

Great hire Leon!

While registering my vehicles the assessor stated "I have had both Cat and Griz students and alums work for me and the Griz end up working under the direction of the Cats."

superbobcat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by superbobcat » Wed Apr 19, 2023 9:39 am

Does anyone know if they will stream the press conference today?

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Wed Apr 19, 2023 11:02 am

Basketball is basketball, whether it’s D1 or D3. Obviously you have differences in talent, and what schemes you’re able to effectively play, but the idea a successful lower level coach can’t succeed because he’s been at a lower level is so naive. You’re telling me Bob Hurley (the old one) wouldn’t have been a good college coach? Cmon. That’s just a lazy, garbage, narrative.

kmax
Site Admin

Post by kmax » Wed Apr 19, 2023 11:17 am

superbobcat wrote:
Wed Apr 19, 2023 9:39 am
Does anyone know if they will stream the press conference today?
From the email I got it sounds like no live stream but video will be posted later.
Video coverage of the press conference will be shared on social media after the event for those who cannot attend in person.

“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.” -- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Wed Apr 19, 2023 2:11 pm

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Wed Apr 19, 2023 2:12 pm

“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Wed Apr 19, 2023 2:18 pm

BobcatDel

Post by BobcatDel » Wed Apr 19, 2023 2:30 pm

AFCAT wrote:
Wed Apr 19, 2023 2:11 pm
Thank you for posting AFCAT.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Wed Apr 19, 2023 2:52 pm

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Wed Apr 19, 2023 3:01 pm

Names on the back of the jersey-yes!