Matt Logie is the Guy

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

homeytennis
BobcatNation Letterman

Re: Matt Logie is the Guy

Post by homeytennis » Mon Apr 17, 2023 6:38 pm

Idaho State's best player last season was a Point Loma transfer. Point Loma's best player this season was a kid from the Seattle area. (I think he is out of eligibility), Coach knows the West and Canada and how to recruit it. I think Dan Dickau knows a little more about basketball than me.

aucat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by aucat » Mon Apr 17, 2023 6:50 pm

Honestly, I don't think I have ever seen anything like this in college sports...where the rug is literally jerked out from underneath a championship team. It's like the movie "Left Behind." One day you have a championship roster, the next day the coaches and players are mostly gone. These days it's all about which players you can "steal" from other rosters, along with trying to keep the players on your roster from being "beamed up." I wonder what it's like to be an outstanding high school senior players with this new landscape? In the old days, the kid would be getting lots of offers. However now you might be chopped liver, as it's the portal where the coaches go to look for instant success. What a mess. Welcome Coach Logie and good luck.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Mon Apr 17, 2023 7:00 pm

aucat wrote:
Mon Apr 17, 2023 6:50 pm
Honestly, I don't think I have ever seen anything like this in college sports...where the rug is literally jerked out from underneath a championship team. It's like the movie "Left Behind." One day you have a championship roster, the next day the coaches and players are mostly gone. These days it's all about which players you can "steal" from other rosters, along with trying to keep the players on your roster from being "beamed up." I wonder what it's like to be an outstanding high school senior players with this new landscape? In the old days, the kid would be getting lots of offers. However now you might be chopped liver, as it's the portal where the coaches go to look for instant success. What a mess. Welcome Coach Logie and good luck.
Again, it happened to EWU just 2 years ago. Shantay Legans took 3 players and 2 assistants to Portland after their March Madness game against Kansas, and the Grovers brothers both went to Oklahoma. Went 18-16 the next year and then had a hell of a year last year.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

imacat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by imacat » Mon Apr 17, 2023 7:02 pm

I don't know anything about Matt Logie other than his resume and a contact in Spokane (Whitworth) who said he is a great guy. That said, I don't understand the negativity so many of us have expressed about this hire. His resume is solid. He has head coaching experience and knows how to build/run a program. As far as recruiting goes ... DII coaches recruit the same high schools, the same junior colleges and use the same transfer portal as DI coaches. The contacts are the same and just as important, they just cannot reel in the same level of player. His record says he has been able to recruit well.
He finds himself in about the same boat Danny Sprinkle inherited. Players at USU had hit the transfer portal hard. That is what happens with coaching changes.
It is not at all certain Logie would have retained either Hill or Haslam if they had not followed Danny. A coach needs a staff he is personally comfortable with. More often than not, the old staffs are not retained.
I am optimistic about Matt Logie. I hope I am correct. GO CATS!!
One other thing. He is a coach who is moving up the ranks. If he does well, don't be surprised or upset if he moves up again. I would view that as a positive.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Mon Apr 17, 2023 7:28 pm

One player on Point Loma who has connections to MSU is Andrew Hommes. His sister was Jasmine Hommes who played for the Lady Cats around 8 years ago. She was a standout during her time in Bozeman. He has aunts who played for the Lady Cats as well. His older brother is currently playing professionally. The kids is only a freshman and appears that Sprinkle was following him on Twitter as a possible recruit. Only played in garbage this year at Point Loma.

The Point Loma roster is full of west coast kids from schools that are recognizable.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Mon Apr 17, 2023 7:35 pm

Point Loma also has a 6’6” Forward whose stats were solid and was all conference. Luke Haupt.

Bocephus

Post by Bocephus » Mon Apr 17, 2023 7:47 pm

wbtfg wrote:
Mon Apr 17, 2023 5:10 pm
At least we didn't hire an assistant from a mediocre program like Cal State Fullerton with no head coaching experience. ;)
Beat me to it. My gawd people.

alleycat
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by alleycat » Mon Apr 17, 2023 8:26 pm

Welcome Coach Logie!

Long Time Cat

Post by Long Time Cat » Tue Apr 18, 2023 7:46 am

Bocephus wrote:
Mon Apr 17, 2023 7:47 pm
wbtfg wrote:
At least we didn't hire an assistant from a mediocre program like Cal State Fullerton with no head coaching experience. ;)
About the only reason we had to be excited about Sprinkle was that he was a former Cat, and a good one. If Logie had been a stud player for the Cats most would all be stoked right now. Instead he was a stud player for Lehigh. I encourage everyone to back away from the ledge and see what he can do.
Go Cats!

"Confidence is contagious. So is a lack of confidence." Vince Lombardi

Willneal
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Willneal » Tue Apr 18, 2023 7:53 am

Long Time Cat wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2023 7:46 am
Bocephus wrote:
wbtfg wrote:
About the only reason we had to be excited about Sprinkle was that he was a former Cat, and a good one. If Logie had been a stud player for the Cats most would all be stoked right now. Instead he was a stud player for Lehigh. I encourage everyone to back away from the ledge and see what he can do.
Go Cats!
Pulling for our new coach and will give him a fair change but
Would like to see a wow/surprise hire on his staff. A “wow…how did he hire that guy?” Moment

Catlady
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Catlady » Tue Apr 18, 2023 8:05 am

Long Time Cat wrote:
Bocephus wrote:
wbtfg wrote:
Go Cats!
I’m glad to see that there’s positive fans still left in Montana! Looking forward to Coach Logie! The EWU story is legit! I think we’re going to be fine! Might not win the Big Sky every year but I’m confident he’ll build a program with that being the goal!

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Tue Apr 18, 2023 8:38 am

Willneal wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2023 7:53 am
Long Time Cat wrote:
Bocephus wrote:
wbtfg wrote:
Go Cats!
Would like to see a wow/surprise hire on his staff. A “wow…how did he hire that guy?” Moment
Do you have $250,000 for an assistant coach?

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Tue Apr 18, 2023 8:41 am

Costello NEEDS to get Matt Logie in front of a camera and let him rally the fans/boosters NOW!

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Tue Apr 18, 2023 9:04 am

mslacat wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2023 8:41 am
Costello NEEDS to get Matt Logie in front of a camera and let him rally the fans/boosters NOW!
How about tomorrow?

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

kennethnoisewater
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by kennethnoisewater » Tue Apr 18, 2023 9:22 am

wbtfg wrote:
This really is pretty unbelievable. I told somebody last night he looks better on paper than Sprinkle when he was coming in and they looked at me like I had three heads. I think some people assume it was some big steal that we got Danny, as if he was just coaching the Golden State Warriors.

kennethnoisewater
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by kennethnoisewater » Tue Apr 18, 2023 9:32 am

BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Mon Apr 17, 2023 3:00 pm
I guess I don’t see why he’s an underwhelming hire? He’s got a very solid resume.
Because some people over-value big programs. They think if they've been in a big conference in a big state that they know how to recruit to the northern Rockies. I could recruit just about anybody to USC with all they have to offer. I really think there are people who think MSU deserves and can get a top assistant from some place like UNC who's making 7 figures to come take a huge pay cut, turn MSU into the next Gonzaga (even though Montana is one of the worst states in America for producing D-I basketball players), and stay until he retires. Give me a guy who's scratched and clawed his way through lower levels and knows how to get it done as an underdog.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Tue Apr 18, 2023 10:10 am

Hawks86 wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2023 9:04 am
mslacat wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2023 8:41 am
How about tomorrow?
I was going to say isn't there a introductory press conference for Wednesday? Not soon enough, I guess...

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Tue Apr 18, 2023 10:56 am

VimSince03 wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2023 8:38 am
Willneal wrote:
Long Time Cat wrote:
Bocephus wrote:
wbtfg wrote:
Go Cats!
Exactly. I am guessing some people just don’t understand the economic hurdles MSU faces for assistants.

RobertCats
Member # Retired

Post by RobertCats » Tue Apr 18, 2023 1:22 pm

So listening to Nuanez Now and their breakdown of Logie (great listen if you haven't partaken https://share.transistor.fm/s/e68ac378 ) and they talk about Logie bringing Whitworth to Missoula for a handful of years to play an exhibition game. Colter mentioned he watched a few of those games with Logie at the helm and said they were always competitive, his team shot a lot of 3's and were well-coached. So I looked back at all those exhibition games of Logie-coached teams vs teams playing up a level or two.

2012-2013: Whitworth (DIII) 65 Idaho State (DI) 68 (35-40 at half)
2014-2015: Whitworth (DIII) 79 Montana 94 (DI) (31-47 at half)
2015-2016: Whitworth (DIII) 64 vs Montana (DI) 83 (couldn't find half score but Whitworth was up 44-43 with 17:22 left)
2016-2017: Whitworth (DIII) 80 vs Montana (DI) 90 (38-38 at half)
2017-2018: Whitworth (DIII) 60 vs Montana (DI) 72 (29-32 at half)
2018-2019: Whitworth (DIII) 58 vs Montana (DI) 90 (30-41 at half) ***Ouch, but this was the gris team that won the BSC and went 26-9 (16-4)
2021-2022: Point Loma (DII) 77 vs Pepperdine (DI) 50

So only one DI win, but he almost always competed with his DIII roster. All these exhibition games were played on the road as well. Might not mean a thing, but the guy obviously knows how to coach the game and he wins EVERYWHERE he goes.

Willneal
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Willneal » Tue Apr 18, 2023 1:38 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2023 8:38 am
Willneal wrote:
Long Time Cat wrote:
Bocephus wrote:
wbtfg wrote:
Go Cats!
No different than recruiting against teams that offer more NIL money, sell, Bozeman, sell MSU.
Example… Us hiring Andy Hill was a bit of a surprise hire, Considering what he was making at New Mex and Utah. I just don’t want to see him bring his D2 staff and his buddy who still coaches at Whitworth. That that would be underwhelming…ensembling a staff is a form recruiting.