Kola in portal…again, no surprise.

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Kola in portal…again, no surprise.

Post by AFCAT » Tue Apr 11, 2023 6:59 pm

Actually, I thought she was already in the portal.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

CatBlitz
Golden Bobcat

Re: Kola in portal…again, no surprise.

Post by CatBlitz » Tue Apr 11, 2023 9:09 pm

😔

Don't let this distract you from the fact that the griz blew a 22-0 lead.

lutecat
Member # Retired

Post by lutecat » Tue Apr 11, 2023 9:54 pm

Coach Bin wished her well sith a heartfelt tweet. I have absolutely no issue with these girls exploring their "extra" year.

Do us proud Kola. I'm a fan. On the court. But especially off the court!

CatRowdy
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by CatRowdy » Tue Apr 11, 2023 10:32 pm

Kola has been a great asset to MSU and the team. Wish her the best moving forward and hope her "extra" year turns out to the best possible. It will be fun to follow where she lands.

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Wed Apr 12, 2023 12:38 am

I’m wondering if something is up with Coach Binford. I mean the whole team is on the run maybe they know something… hmmm

arvcat2

Post by arvcat2 » Wed Apr 12, 2023 5:58 am

catsrback76 wrote:
Wed Apr 12, 2023 12:38 am
I’m wondering if something is up with Coach Binford. I mean the whole team is on the run maybe they know something… hmmm
Again, to date, Coach Binford has yet to extend a “free covid year” to any of her players. Posters often state that it is the players choice to stay the extra year. Although I am not privy to Binford’s post season chats with her players, it seems rather obvious that she either tells the player no to the extra year or strongly discourages it while facilitating their potential transfer if needed. If any sports reporter reads this, you might want to consider asking Binford directly what her position is on the “free covid year”.

I applaud Binford with this apparent stance on the extra year. She does an outstanding job of recruiting good students with the strong emphasis on obtaining their degrees within 4 years. Unlike some other sports (like the football team), the women’s team DID play a mostly full schedule during the covid year. Yes, that season was tainted with performing in empty arenas and subjected to questionable protocols, but they did play.

As much as I would like to watch certain players play another year and the possibility of more win’s, on principal, I hope Binford holds the line and does her part in trying to achieve some normalcy to her roster, the purity of the Bobcat individual record book, and flushing out the insanity of covidism.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Wed Apr 12, 2023 7:31 am

Great point, it seems like Coach Binford is concerned more with her players' futures than with the number of wins her basketball team will get next year. Sounds like both Darian and Kola have some great opportunities ahead of them and there's little reason for them to stick around MSU to take grad classes and play basketball another year if perhaps their future lies in a different direction. I am glad that this COVID year thing is going away so that we can all just get back to play 4 years and you're done, no mysteries or will they/won't they come back discussion anymore!

lutecat
Member # Retired

Post by lutecat » Wed Apr 12, 2023 8:04 am

When is the last class with a covid year?

BobcatDel
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by BobcatDel » Wed Apr 12, 2023 8:09 am

lutecat wrote:
Wed Apr 12, 2023 8:04 am
When is the last class with a covid year?
The current junior class is the last that has the extra year. Deden, Jansen, Limardo and Beattie (if she had stayed) have two years to play.

BobcatDel

Post by BobcatDel » Wed Apr 12, 2023 8:23 am

catsrback76 wrote:
Wed Apr 12, 2023 12:38 am
Not sure what you mean on that. The seniors Kola, Darian, Maddie have been known for nearly the entire season they were leaving. Gracie was “iffy” and has elected to depart. The only real surprise on leaving so far is Beattie.

I’ll say it again as I have in other posts…..Coach Binford in booster meeting said she would take any of the girls back. Darian was sitting right beside her when she said that. I don’t know any coach that would not take two all-conference players back in Darian and Kola “if” they wanted to play. But both Kola and Darian told us in those meetings from their own lips they were exploring pro options and at least Kola was looking at career options… so none of us expected them back. And Coach will support them whatever they want to do….but I don’t get the thinking she wouldn’t take Darian and Kola back…who is coming up with that idea??

Maddie was frank in that she was going to give it up after her wedding this fall so we didn’t expect her to be back. Gracie was the most undecided in the meetings.

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Wed Apr 12, 2023 9:48 am

Somewhere I read that Kola had been accepted to the dental school at the Univ. of Colorado. Whether it’s there, or somewhere else, MSU doesn’t have a dental school — and playing basketball would be a great year to pay for another year of school. Kola, has been all we could ask and more, off the court and on the court. Coming back from that knee injury to be an All-Conference player was a big deal. I’m proud of Kola, just as I am Darien, and I’m happy she is getting some positive return for the wretched Covid year. 💙💛😺

wapiti

Post by wapiti » Wed Apr 12, 2023 10:04 am

Binford and staff have proven to be great at scouting, recruiting and coaching. I expect the Lady Cat's to continue to be competitive in the Big Sky.

Bobcat4Ever

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Wed Apr 12, 2023 11:13 am

Kola, in her Tweet, gave the highest of praise to Coach Chris Mayes as a teacher and a supportive person. Her play was getting stronger all the time. Thumbs up to Coach Mayes. :thumbup:

Bobcat79 (FTG)
New Recruit

Post by Bobcat79 (FTG) » Thu Apr 13, 2023 9:18 am

8 x

84CatGrad

Post by 84CatGrad » Thu Apr 13, 2023 7:45 pm

In Bin we trust.

Catlady
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Catlady » Fri Apr 14, 2023 5:20 am

84CatGrad wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2023 7:45 pm
In Bin we trust.
Agree, Let’s give Bin a chance to retool. She’s earned that right. I’m not a fan of the Covid year. 4 seasons is enough! It’s been an interesting off season in Bozeman. I got a feeling there’s more to come.

ND0479

Post by ND0479 » Fri Apr 14, 2023 8:35 pm

Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Wed Apr 12, 2023 9:48 am
Somewhere I read that Kola had been accepted to the dental school at the Univ. of Colorado. Whether it’s there, or somewhere else, MSU doesn’t have a dental school — and playing basketball would be a great year to pay for another year of school. Kola, has been all we could ask and more, off the court and on the court. Coming back from that knee injury to be an All-Conference player was a big deal. I’m proud of Kola, just as I am Darien, and I’m happy she is getting some positive return for the wretched Covid year. 💙💛😺
That would be one heck of a workload! D1 sports schedule and med school would be brutal.

Bobcat4Ever

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Sat Apr 15, 2023 3:37 am

ND0479 wrote:
Fri Apr 14, 2023 8:35 pm
Bobcat4Ever wrote:
That would be one heck of a workload! D1 sports schedule and med school would be brutal.
There’s always plenty of preliminary coursework, and many choose to get a Master’s degree before jumping all the way to med or dental school. A year of paid post-baccalaureate work is a nice benefit.

BobcatDel

Post by BobcatDel » Wed Apr 26, 2023 1:40 pm

Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Sat Apr 15, 2023 3:37 am
ND0479 wrote:
Bobcat4Ever wrote:
There’s always plenty of preliminary coursework, and many choose to get a Master’s degree before jumping all the way to med or dental school. A year of paid post-baccalaureate work is a nice benefit.
Just to clear up something that has been circulating on the threads here. Kola is not going to dental school.

It was indeed posted on this board that one of the announcers for Cat-Griz WBB game had apparently stated that. The announcer may have misspoken or been confused because Fallyn Freji was attending the game and Freji has been accepted to Dental School. Kola is a Community Health major and will pursue an advanced degree after basketball but not in dentistry. She is narrowing her choices and I’ll let her announce where she is headed and the degree she will be working on……some of you that will attend the WBB banquet in a couple weeks can confirm it!

Bobcat4Ever

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Wed Apr 26, 2023 2:09 pm

BobcatDel wrote:
Wed Apr 26, 2023 1:40 pm
Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Sat Apr 15, 2023 3:37 am
ND0479 wrote:
Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Just to clear up something that has been circulating on the threads here. Kola is not going to dental school.

It was indeed posted on this board that one of the announcers for Cat-Griz WBB game had apparently stated that. The announcer may have misspoken or been confused because Fallyn Freji was attending the game and Freji has been accepted to Dental School. Kola is a Community Health major and will pursue an advanced degree after basketball but not in dentistry. She is narrowing her choices and I’ll let her announce where she is headed and the degree she will be working on……some of you that will attend the WBB banquet in a couple weeks can confirm it!
Thanks for clearing that up. I’m sure she’ll make a good decision. Go, Kola!