Kola in portal…again, no surprise.

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Re: Kola in portal…again, no surprise.

Post by AFCAT » Thu May 18, 2023 11:59 am

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

wapiti
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by wapiti » Thu May 18, 2023 12:14 pm

She should dominate at the Div 2 level

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Thu May 18, 2023 1:07 pm

Wow. I'll be interested to hear from Kola as to what her thought process is here!

SACCAT
Member # Retired

Post by SACCAT » Thu May 18, 2023 1:11 pm

BobcatDel wrote:
Wed Apr 26, 2023 1:40 pm
Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Sat Apr 15, 2023 3:37 am
ND0479 wrote:
Fri Apr 14, 2023 8:35 pm
Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Wed Apr 12, 2023 9:48 am
Somewhere I read that Kola had been accepted to the dental school at the Univ. of Colorado. Whether it’s there, or somewhere else, MSU doesn’t have a dental school — and playing basketball would be a great year to pay for another year of school. Kola, has been all we could ask and more, off the court and on the court. Coming back from that knee injury to be an All-Conference player was a big deal. I’m proud of Kola, just as I am Darien, and I’m happy she is getting some positive return for the wretched Covid year. 💙💛😺
That would be one heck of a workload! D1 sports schedule and med school would be brutal.
There’s always plenty of preliminary coursework, and many choose to get a Master’s degree before jumping all the way to med or dental school. A year of paid post-baccalaureate work is a nice benefit.
Just to clear up something that has been circulating on the threads here. Kola is not going to dental school.

It was indeed posted on this board that one of the announcers for Cat-Griz WBB game had apparently stated that. The announcer may have misspoken or been confused because Fallyn Freji was attending the game and Freji has been accepted to Dental School. Kola is a Community Health major and will pursue an advanced degree after basketball but not in dentistry. She is narrowing her choices and I’ll let her announce where she is headed and the degree she will be working on……some of you that will attend the WBB banquet in a couple weeks can confirm it!
Well... I am not sure who said it (probably that fat idiot Ian Laird) but if he did say it, he was probably told that by someone at MSU in the women's program right before the Game started, and then was told that might be true from 2-3 other sources.... Things like that happen all the time... You know how many texts people get saying things like "Sprinkle is staying" or _______ is the new head coach, to be proven wrong many times.

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Thu May 18, 2023 1:12 pm

FTG- GO CATS GO!

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Thu May 18, 2023 1:25 pm

AFCAT wrote:
Thu May 18, 2023 11:59 am
Great! Now the entire Crow Rez will turn out for every Eastern game! Can't wait to watch her and that Famous guy! Wonder if Eastern's gym has enough seating for their home games?

tetoncat
Member # Retired

Post by tetoncat » Thu May 18, 2023 1:49 pm

AFCAT wrote:
Thu May 18, 2023 11:59 am
They must have a Grad program that MSU doesn't or she just wanted to play 1 more year but needed a change.

Sports is not bigger than life

rivercat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by rivercat » Thu May 18, 2023 4:08 pm

I totally get it and think this is really cool for Kola. She played her 4 years as a Bobcat and got her degree. She now gets to do an encore with a very good team in front of a home crowd. My niece played for University of Alaska Anchorage a decade ago. They are both in the GNAC and I attended 4 WBB games in Billings. They had good crowds and Kola playing for them will make them great crowds.

This seems to be a decision based on what will be the most fun for her. MSUB was very good last year and maybe Kola can help them make a deep run at a national title. Looking forward to catching a few Yellowjackets games next year.

"...get in 21 personnel and pound people and take their souls and have fun doing that..." coach Choate

imacat

Post by imacat » Thu May 18, 2023 6:58 pm

rivercat wrote:
Thu May 18, 2023 4:08 pm
I totally get it and think this is really cool for Kola. She played her 4 years as a Bobcat and got her degree. She now gets to do an encore with a very good team in front of a home crowd. My niece played for University of Alaska Anchorage a decade ago. They are both in the GNAC and I attended 4 WBB games in Billings. They had good crowds and Kola playing for them will make them great crowds.
E
This seems to be a decision based on what will be the most fun for her. MSUB was very good last year and maybe Kola can help them make a deep run at a national title. Looking forward to catching a few Yellowjackets games next year.
I think you are correct. I also plan to catch some MSUB games. It will be a major attendance boost for that program.

Rich K
Golden Bobcat

Post by Rich K » Fri May 19, 2023 10:01 am

I will expect Kola will be attracting some incredible NIL dollars and yes, the games will be packed.

Favorite name of a law: Millstone Act

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Fri May 19, 2023 10:23 am

rivercat wrote:

:goodpost:

CatBot
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by CatBot » Fri May 19, 2023 10:42 am

Seems pretty obvious but gotta get the preseason game scheduled. Kola would get a deafening ovation in the Brick. Or, I know it's rare to travel a D1 team like this, but selling out the Metra for this matchup game would be fun.

BobcatDel
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by BobcatDel » Fri May 19, 2023 11:23 am

rivercat wrote:

Yes indeed a good decision for Kola. I mentioned on other post that family was important to Kola and I thought she would stay closer to home. It was fun at Cat games to see her own personal cheering section made of family and friends that made nearly all the home games…mom, sister, grandfather. Her mom is a brain cancer survivor and they are close…her grandfather was a treasure to meet and you could see the pride he holds for her. I’m glad they’ll be able to continue to watch her play in person. I’m happy for her (and secretly wishing I could have seen her in a Bobcat uni again). I’ll miss her smile. Go Kola!

WyomingGrizFan
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by WyomingGrizFan » Fri May 19, 2023 12:33 pm

Glad we don't to play her anymore. Geez.

rivercat

Post by rivercat » Fri May 19, 2023 12:54 pm

Yes, some of her best games were against your team.

"...get in 21 personnel and pound people and take their souls and have fun doing that..." coach Choate

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Fri May 19, 2023 2:37 pm

WyomingGrizFan wrote:
Fri May 19, 2023 12:33 pm
Since MSU-Billings is a wholly-owned subsidiary, we are allowed to borrow her for any games that only involve in-state Montana teams. 😂

WyomingGrizFan
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by WyomingGrizFan » Sat May 20, 2023 1:59 pm

Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Fri May 19, 2023 2:37 pm
WyomingGrizFan wrote:
Fri May 19, 2023 12:33 pm
Since MSU-Billings is a wholly-owned subsidiary, we are allowed to borrow her for any games that only involve in-state Montana teams. 😂
Damn. I knew there was a catch, somewhere.

tetoncat
Member # Retired

Post by tetoncat » Tue Jan 23, 2024 6:58 pm

Thought there are some interesting comments in here.
She mentions falling in love with game again, getting to shoots 3s, pass and be a main option, but then also how it's nice to not have to carry the load.

https://www.swxlocalsports.com/montana/ ... 20388.html

Sports is not bigger than life

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Wed Jan 24, 2024 10:30 pm

Rich K wrote:
Fri May 19, 2023 10:01 am
I will expect Kola will be attracting some incredible NIL dollars and yes, the games will be packed.
Unfortunately not, and I am a part of that problem since I live a few blocks from the Fieldhouse and hadn’t thought about it until this thread popped up again.

The reservation isn’t in a good spot right now and more of it seems to be showing up downtown Billings at the shelters and wandering N 27th and the area each day.

From the link above.

We talked about that #9 ranking, MSUB is currently 16-3 overall and 7-0 in conference play, firmly in front in the GNAC standings. They share the ball, win by an average of 17 points per game, and yet the Lady Jackets rarely have a crowd at Alterowitz gym that reflects the high-quality basketball they bring to the gym every night.

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

Rich K
Golden Bobcat

Post by Rich K » Thu Jan 25, 2024 8:06 am

PapaG wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2024 10:30 pm
Rich K wrote:
Fri May 19, 2023 10:01 am
Unfortunately not, and I am a part of that problem since I live a few blocks from the Fieldhouse and hadn’t thought about it until this thread popped up again.

The reservation isn’t in a good spot right now and more of it seems to be showing up downtown Billings at the shelters and wandering N 27th and the area each day.

From the link above.

We talked about that #9 ranking, MSUB is currently 16-3 overall and 7-0 in conference play, firmly in front in the GNAC standings. They share the ball, win by an average of 17 points per game, and yet the Lady Jackets rarely have a crowd at Alterowitz gym that reflects the high-quality basketball they bring to the gym every night.
I have posted some really out of whack stuff on bobcat nation, but this one surely ranks as one of the saddest. It may seem like it wishful thinking but I really thought it would happen. Hopefully that article will push a few buttons and get some native and non-native butts into seats..

Favorite name of a law: Millstone Act