WHO STAYS AND WHO GOES?

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

GrizgradCatFan
BobcatNation Team Captain

WHO STAYS AND WHO GOES?

Post by GrizgradCatFan » Fri Apr 07, 2023 5:48 pm

What are people thinking?

tetoncat
Member # Retired

Re: WHO STAYS AND WHO GOES?

Post by tetoncat » Fri Apr 07, 2023 5:53 pm

When do players have to declare for portal

Sports is not bigger than life

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Fri Apr 07, 2023 5:55 pm

Players can enter the portal up until May 11. I hate to speculate about individual players as they've each got a very personal decision to make, but I'll be an optimist and predict that at least one player people think will be leaving will stay the course and help MSU remain at the top end of the Big Sky next year.

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Fri Apr 07, 2023 6:11 pm

Pretty f’ing frustrating…. This team would be incredible next year.

I hope they stay, but you know sprinkle is pushing the key guys to join him. And others will probably leave cuz of the change.

This blows.

FTG- GO CATS GO!

84CatGrad
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by 84CatGrad » Fri Apr 07, 2023 8:03 pm

mslacatfan wrote:
Fri Apr 07, 2023 6:11 pm

I hope they stay, but you know sprinkle is pushing the key guys to join him. And others will probably leave cuz of the change.

This blows.
I don't think Sprinkle would do that.

DMMDCats

Post by DMMDCats » Fri Apr 07, 2023 8:06 pm

See who shows up to the MBB banquet next week?

Have a wonderful day!!

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Fri Apr 07, 2023 8:10 pm

84CatGrad wrote:
Fri Apr 07, 2023 8:03 pm
mslacatfan wrote:

This blows.
I certainly hope not since it would be a recruiting violation until any of them are actually in the Transfer Portal. That said I'd imagine the guys on the current roster have a pretty good idea of who would receive interest from Sprinkle/USU and who wouldn't.

MinnesotaBobcat
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by MinnesotaBobcat » Sat Apr 08, 2023 12:11 am

Folks on the USU board think Battle and Osobor are locks to become Aggies, and there seems to be interest in Brown and our new recruit from Washington. I’m happy for Sprinkle, but I sincerely hope this team isn’t gutted. As it stands right now we’d likely be the favorite again next year. If those guys hit the portal our new staff would be at a huge disadvantage because the portal is being hit hard, and by the time our new coach is named most of the good players will be committed elsewhere.I honestly think it would be in our best interest to promote from within to retain our guys and keep some momentum in our recruiting.

Catlady
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Catlady » Sat Apr 08, 2023 6:25 am

mslacatfan wrote:

This blows.
It happens…….. I see Battle making a move. Wasn’t sure about Great, but would really help his stock to move to a conference with SDSU, UNLV and others. Hard to fault those guys. It’s been a good run for the Bobcats. There’s not way I can blame Sprinkles for making the move. Compensation is life changing. I’ve enjoyed the last two seasons……… going to make the rebuild even sweeter.

Hi-Line Bobcat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Hi-Line Bobcat » Sat Apr 08, 2023 7:06 am

84CatGrad wrote:
Fri Apr 07, 2023 8:03 pm
mslacatfan wrote:

This blows.
Some people thought Choate would never leave and some thought there was no way sprinkle leaves to USU. Money talks, and when it’s your livelihood and you know players could help you, he most likely is trying to get players like battle and the point guard, forgetting his name, to join him.

If your left, you aren’t right.

aucat

Post by aucat » Sat Apr 08, 2023 9:18 am

This is what is in the Chronicle today (below.) USU was 26-7 this year. Wonder why their coach decided to go to VCU after only two seasons? I can't imagine the pay would be more.

Several of the USU players have entered the portal and it sounds like Sprinkle will work hard to keep them at USU. Personally, while I'm certainly fine with someone quadrupling their salary, I think it is low rent and unethical to try to actively recruit players to leave MSU to follow him to USU. Of course, if there's a bunch of NIL money waiting for them, we are back to today's college landscape of "money trumps loyalty" to your school, aren't we?

Excerpt from the Chronicle: "Utah State has had four players enter the transfer portal in the last week: leading scorer Steven Ashworth (16.2 points per game) and fellow guards Max Shulga (35 starts, 11.9 points and 4.5 rebounds per game) and Sean Bairstow (35 starts, 10.3 points and 5.2 rebounds per game) and center Szymon Zapala (played just 45 minutes all season).

In the radio interview in Utah, Sprinkle acknowledged that USU’s top seven scorers from this past season were already in the portal or out of eligibility (though some might have an extra year because of COVID-19). He told the show’s hosts he’s “already been recruiting” because “there’s no time to be wasted.” Regarding the Aggies in the portal, Sprinkle said, “I definitely will be reaching out to all of them.”

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Sat Apr 08, 2023 9:24 am

Shantay Legans took like half the roster with him to Portland from EWU, don’t be surprised if Sprinkles takes one or two.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

Mtcatfan

Post by Mtcatfan » Sat Apr 08, 2023 9:53 pm

Good for Sprinkle. I understand the $ move but if he takes two or three of our top players with him I will lose some respect. Maybe it’s just me but I’m not gonna be cheering on Utah State if that happens - not sure I even want our guys to light it up down there. I hate the portal and the NIL. It has totally done away with loyalty. We just won a couple of championships- what else can you do to keep kids in your program? No more I’m a Bobcat forever. It’s all about me. Sorry for the rant. Times are a changin and I’m just not on board with it.

GrizgradCatFan

Post by GrizgradCatFan » Sun Apr 09, 2023 7:05 am

Mtcatfan wrote:
Sat Apr 08, 2023 9:53 pm
Good for Sprinkle. I understand the $ move but if he takes two or three of our top players with him I will lose some respect. Maybe it’s just me but I’m not gonna be cheering on Utah State if that happens - not sure I even want our guys to light it up down there. I hate the portal and the NIL. It has totally done away with loyalty. We just won a couple of championships- what else can you do to keep kids in your program? No more I’m a Bobcat forever. It’s all about me. Sorry for the rant. Times are a changin and I’m just not on board with it.
I didn't think i would say it but I feel the same way. Leave what you got going here and go start fresh there.

superbobcat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by superbobcat » Sun Apr 09, 2023 8:48 am

It has very quickly become a show me the money and who gives me the biggest advantage game. I don’t like it at all, but in 2-3 years it will be the norm. Good D2 and developing NAIA kids will move up same with low level D1 kids. Those high level D1 kids that aren’t happy will move down. See, how easy it is to balance out! A full commitment will be three years.To bad when they get a real job that they won’t have that kind of freedom.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Sun Apr 09, 2023 8:50 am

Mtcatfan wrote:
My main issue with the loyalty argument is that loyalty has never been an expectation of the coaches and schools that these athletes play for. Coaches can switch jobs as often as they choose and at any time, and a school can choose not to renew a player's scholarship if they find someone they think will be a better player in that spot. Our loyalty to MSU as fans is inherently much deeper and stronger than what we can reasonably expect from players, and to me it's a little hypocritical for anyone who has ever made the decision to change jobs, divorce a spouse, move to a new location, or transfer colleges ourselves (i.e. virtually all of us) to criticize these players for a lack of loyalty when they decide to transfer to a new school. It's also super easy to focus more on the negatives of the portal than the positives - yeah it will suck to lose players to Utah State if any go there, but multiple transfer portal players played pivotal roles on the two championship teams that allowed Coach Sprinkle to make that move up.

Do the transfer portal rules need to be adjusted to lessen the number of players you see who are on their third or fourth team and still have eligibility left? Absolutely, although perhaps as the Covid year players all exhaust their eligibility that will be less of an issue.

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Sun Apr 09, 2023 9:09 am

The only impediment to building a roster for next year is the amount of time it will take to make a new hire. Utah State drug the process out a week. Anyone who has followed MSU for fifty or sixty years understands how long the hiring process gets drug out. These coaching changes have a head start on the recruiting process via the portal:

https://www.cbssports.com/college-baske ... bs-filled/

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Sun Apr 09, 2023 9:43 am

superbobcat wrote:
Sun Apr 09, 2023 8:48 am
It has very quickly become a show me the money and who gives me the biggest advantage game. I don’t like it at all, but in 2-3 years it will be the norm. Good D2 and developing NAIA kids will move up same with low level D1 kids. Those high level D1 kids that aren’t happy will move down. See, how easy it is to balance out! A full commitment will be three years.To bad when they get a real job that they won’t have that kind of freedom.
Actually people are switching jobs at a high rate too, maybe not quite 2-3 years but it’s the norm now.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

tetoncat
Member # Retired

Post by tetoncat » Sun Apr 09, 2023 11:53 am

MSU01 wrote:
Sun Apr 09, 2023 8:50 am
Mtcatfan wrote:
My main issue with the loyalty argument is that loyalty has never been an expectation of the coaches and schools that these athletes play for. Coaches can switch jobs as often as they choose and at any time, and a school can choose not to renew a player's scholarship if they find someone they think will be a better player in that spot. Our loyalty to MSU as fans is inherently much deeper and stronger than what we can reasonably expect from players, and to me it's a little hypocritical for anyone who has ever made the decision to change jobs, divorce a spouse, move to a new location, or transfer colleges ourselves (i.e. virtually all of us) to criticize these players for a lack of loyalty when they decide to transfer to a new school. It's also super easy to focus more on the negatives of the portal than the positives - yeah it will suck to lose players to Utah State if any go there, but multiple transfer portal players played pivotal roles on the two championship teams that allowed Coach Sprinkle to make that move up.

Do the transfer portal rules need to be adjusted to lessen the number of players you see who are on their third or fourth team and still have eligibility left? Absolutely, although perhaps as the Covid year players all exhaust their eligibility that will be less of an issue.
I would disagree on the coach expectations as I do feel that most fans expect a coach to stay 4-5 years similar to players.
Also the scholarship isn't guaranteed, but neither is an academic one. Get a 4 year scholarship in engineering you have to meet requirements to keep it. Same with athletes. There is an expectation that you become a contributing member of team, if you don't you won't have your scholarship. As a coach if you don't perform you won't have a job.

Sports is not bigger than life

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Sun Apr 09, 2023 12:00 pm

Cat Grad wrote:
Sun Apr 09, 2023 9:09 am
The only impediment to building a roster for next year is the amount of time it will take to make a new hire. Utah State drug the process out a week. Anyone who has followed MSU for fifty or sixty years understands how long the hiring process gets drug out. These coaching changes have a head start on the recruiting process via the portal:

https://www.cbssports.com/college-baske ... bs-filled/
Wow, we really are behind the curve. USU was no help. 55 head coaching changes, and all except 4 including MSU, have been filled. Pickings might be pretty slim on coaches, and slim to none on players. More than ever, I hope our players will stay. Thinking academics, it would probably be pretty easy for student-athletes to transfer to USU which is another Land Grant school.