WHO STAYS AND WHO GOES?

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Desert_Bobcat
BobcatNation Letterman

Re: WHO STAYS AND WHO GOES?

Post by Desert_Bobcat » Tue Apr 18, 2023 7:52 pm

Desert_Bobcat wrote:
Sat Apr 15, 2023 10:20 am
Saw on Twitter this morning coach Andy Hill is leaving MSU and will be joining Sprinkle in Logan. If we were to retain one coach I hoped it was him. Have to imagine Haslam is on his way out as well.
Bump…
Utah State announced Haslam is joining Sprink and Co. as well.

BobcatDel
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by BobcatDel » Wed Apr 19, 2023 2:42 pm

MSU01 wrote:
Mon Apr 17, 2023 5:48 am
grizzh8r wrote:
Sun Apr 16, 2023 11:20 pm
MSU01 wrote:
Sun Apr 16, 2023 10:05 pm
grizzh8r wrote:
Sun Apr 16, 2023 9:24 pm
BleedingBLue wrote:
Sun Apr 16, 2023 5:29 pm
MSU01 wrote:
Sun Apr 16, 2023 2:43 pm
The transfer portal won't ruin college athletics any more than free agency ruined professional sports.
Why do people continue to bring up this comparison? It's not even close to the same thing. Professional athletes don't get to pick up and leave their teams as they please. That is the main problem with the portal and the NCAA version of free agency.

Those who are worried Osobor may leave, where would he go? He's a good player, but he isn't good enough to get more PT at a high major or power 6 school.
Bingo. There is a reason that ALL professional sports have "Restricted Free Agency". And it's exactly because of the reason @aucat describes. The portal is completely unrestricted free agency, which unfavorably shifts the balance of power to the upper echelon schools. Just as it would in the NFL/MLB/NHL/NBA. Right now, fans of small market pro teams at least have hope that if they hit a home run with draft picks and have the right combination of coaching talent, administration and avoid injuries, there's a chance they might be able to pull off a playoff run every so often. I too fear that the portal in it's current state may decimate College sports as we know it, if some sort of restrictions aren't put in place.
You don't think the balance of power was already shifted way towards the upper echelon schools even before the portal? Duke, Kansas, Kentucky, Arizona, etc. have their pick of the best high school players every year and then everyone else gets to pick through what's left over to find talent. MSU doesn't end up with Raequan Battle without the portal, and without Raequan Battle we'd likely still be looking back at 1996 as MSU's last NCAA appearance. I'd argue that the portal helps a school like MSU more than it hurts because it allows them to attract talent they never would have had a chance to recruit when the player was coming out of high school.

Fans who cheered loudly for MSU's back-to-back transfer-heavy championship teams are speaking out both sides of their mouths somewhat when all of a sudden the portal is ruining college sports when it goes the other way.
Of course the blue bloods get their pick of the litter. But highly rated high school recruits flame out all the time, which is why the pressure to recruit at an extremely high level is always on coaches at said schools. The portal takes this pressure off, at the expense of smaller schools. This year's NCAA tournament was an aberration. The big schools will lure the hidden gems developed at lower levels away to bolster their rosters. One needs to look no further than the top talent in the BSC this season. Most of them have been poached. Venters to Gonzaga. Battle likely going P5.

Battle will be on his 3rd D1 team in 4 seasons. I personally have a problem with that, as do many others. I felt the grad transfer rule was ok, and along those same lines, I feel like players should have the ability to transfer once - for any reason - whenever they choose, for situations exactly like what brought Battle to MSU. He "just didn't fit" at UW, and that will happen to many 18-22 year olds. Call it a Get out of jail free card", or a "hall pass". Want to transfer a second time? Sorry, drop down a division or sit out a year, just like it used to be.
The solution to the problem of so many players playing for 3 teams is simple - wait a year until all of the Covid year players have exhausted their eligibility and we go back to a system of "5 years to play 4" that applies to everyone. Without the Covid year, Ifanse, Battle, Brown, White, and Bad Bear would all be graduated seniors instead of graduate transfers.
Kinda had the same thoughts '01. It will start shaking out in the next year or so as to what the new environment will look like. I expect more court cases on this to come in the next year or two which might change trajectory a bit too. Anyway... wait and see.

GrizgradCatFan
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by GrizgradCatFan » Wed Apr 19, 2023 4:45 pm

Looks like Danny is already plucking the big sky as Nigel Harris from Idaho just signed with them. I would be curious if he fills the roster with big sky talent.

84CatGrad
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by 84CatGrad » Wed Apr 19, 2023 9:18 pm

Heard Battle has been offered $250K - not sure who from. Brown has been offered $100K from Richmond.

What the hell has happened to college athletics?

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Wed Apr 19, 2023 9:22 pm

84CatGrad wrote:
Wed Apr 19, 2023 9:18 pm
Heard Battle has been offered $250K - not sure who from. Brown has been offered $100K from Richmond.

It's out in the open now. It's always been this way.

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Wed Apr 19, 2023 9:44 pm

84CatGrad wrote:

Yup. I certainly do not have the answer on what’s right/wrong, or how to fix it... All I know is that this new system really sucks.

FTG- GO CATS GO!

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Wed Apr 19, 2023 9:49 pm

84CatGrad wrote:

The COVID year happened. Both those players would be out of eligibility without it. Hopefully it never happens again but good for them if they can make some money from the opportunity.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Wed Apr 19, 2023 10:34 pm

84CatGrad wrote:

Brown is a decent player, but a third team Big Sky Conference player is not going to be offered $100,000 to play at Richmond.

Battle is a stud, but it is hard to believe that any Big Sky player is being offered $250,000 by someone. That is more than he will probably earn in Europe or the G-League.

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Post by Helcat72 » Thu Apr 20, 2023 12:35 am

The Butcher wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2023 1:35 pm
AFCAT wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2023 11:01 am
Once again, an interesting fact. Battle, Ifanse, and White all decided to play their final season elsewhere, but they are each all time great Cats and I have no doubt all will be elected on the same ballot to the MSU Hall of Fame someday. They all deserve to be elected to the HOF, but it’s still a strange fact.
If Battle get's into the HOF playing 2 seasons and transferring with eligibility remaining, the HOF is meaningless...
I still don't think a player that leaves MSU to finish out their eligibility at a different college should be elected.
:thumbup: :goodpost: :goodpost: :goodpost: :goodpost: :goodpost: :goodpost: :goodpost: :thumbup:

2024 Resume dominance

tetoncat
Member # Retired

Post by tetoncat » Thu Apr 20, 2023 7:27 am

Helcat72 wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2023 12:35 am
The Butcher wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
Once again, an interesting fact. Battle, Ifanse, and White all decided to play their final season elsewhere, but they are each all time great Cats and I have no doubt all will be elected on the same ballot to the MSU Hall of Fame someday. They all deserve to be elected to the HOF, but it’s still a strange fact.
If Battle get's into the HOF playing 2 seasons and transferring with eligibility remaining, the HOF is meaningless...
I still don't think a player that leaves MSU to finish out their eligibility at a different college should be elected.
:thumbup: :goodpost: :goodpost: :goodpost: :goodpost: :goodpost: :goodpost: :goodpost: :thumbup:
I see both sides. I'll pose a question, If they ay two years somewhere else, with a redshirt, then 3 at MSU are you saying you are OK with them in HOF, but if they play here 2 or 3 and leave your not. Is your main criteria that the last years are at MSU

Sports is not bigger than life

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Thu Apr 20, 2023 8:16 am

The Battle/Hall of Fame argument is somewhat of a moot point since he'll be inducted as part of MSU's 22/23 championship teams someday even if he doesn't get in individually. I hope people will take a step back down the line and view his career as a whole without the current disappointment that he may be playing his Covid year elsewhere.

Newcatnav
New Recruit

Post by Newcatnav » Thu Apr 20, 2023 10:04 am

I know I am new here, but some of you might remember the name Famous Lefthand out of Hardin, MT. Originally signed at Rocky then decided to go the JUCO route. If I remember right it worked out pretty well for a Skyview kid who did the same thing. Lefthand was voted MVP of the Mon Dak Conference Region XIII and has been an All American. I don't know if it means much in today's D1 basketball world to take a shot on local kids, but he might be worth a look.

https://www.tiktok.com/@freshcoasthoops ... 2965220650
Last edited by Newcatnav on Thu Apr 20, 2023 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Thu Apr 20, 2023 10:18 am

Cataholic wrote:
Wed Apr 19, 2023 10:34 pm
84CatGrad wrote:

Brown is a decent player, but a third team Big Sky Conference player is not going to be offered $100,000 to play at Richmond.

Battle is a stud, but it is hard to believe that any Big Sky player is being offered $250,000 by someone. That is more than he will probably earn in Europe or the G-League.
If Battle was really offered $250k to play somewhere else, he’d be crazy not to take it. That’s life changing money to a 22 or 23 year old. Even if he wisely invested just a portion of it, that money could go a long way towards his future.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Thu Apr 20, 2023 10:33 am

AFCAT wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2023 10:18 am
Cataholic wrote:
Wed Apr 19, 2023 10:34 pm
84CatGrad wrote:

If Battle was really offered $250k to play somewhere else, he’d be crazy not to take it. That’s life changing money to a 22 or 23 year old. Even if he wisely invested just a portion of it, that money could go a long way towards his future.
Absolutely. I am guessing though that is not accurate. We got a couple All Big Sky kids to transfer to MSU last year and I guarantee there was not six figure offer for them.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Thu Apr 20, 2023 10:34 am

Helcat72 wrote:
The Butcher wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
I kind of feel the opposite, I guess. The HOF would be meaningless if it didn’t include the best athletes that graduated from MSU.

“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Thu Apr 20, 2023 11:03 am

Cat Grad wrote:
Wed Apr 19, 2023 9:22 pm
84CatGrad wrote:

This has been going on forever.

https://news.yahoo.com/former-ku-forwar ... 54897.html

Now, will the FBI look at point shaving (again), crooked officials, and the rest of the corruption they're supposedly investigating? Huggins of West Virginia plainly stated something is wrong with games played in Lawrence.

And for some reason a few fans of a podunk basketball team are shaking their heads stating the portal and NIL is going to ruin a fixed game? Come on...

tetoncat
Member # Retired

Post by tetoncat » Thu Apr 20, 2023 11:08 am

Cat Grad wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2023 11:03 am
Cat Grad wrote:
84CatGrad wrote:

Now, will the FBI look at point shaving (again), crooked officials, and the rest of the corruption they're supposedly investigating? Huggins of West Virginia plainly stated something is wrong with games played in Lawrence.

And for some reason a few fans of a podunk basketball team are shaking their heads stating the portal and NIL is going to ruin a fixed game? Come on...
You have said portal and NIL are great for the student athlete and you or another poster mentioned how it allows so much change that all teams have a chance like SDSU this year. Now you say it is a fixed game so can't be ruined. Can't be both. If fixed it is already ruined and purely entertainment so why would boosters at the schools that have no chance (since it's fixed) pour money into the programs.

tetoncat
Member # Retired

Post by tetoncat » Thu Apr 20, 2023 11:09 am

AFCAT wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2023 10:34 am
Helcat72 wrote:
The Butcher wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
I kind of feel the opposite, I guess. The HOF would be meaningless if it didn’t include the best athletes that graduated from MSU.
You kind of make his point if Battle is not a Grad transfer

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Thu Apr 20, 2023 11:12 am

tetoncat wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2023 11:09 am
AFCAT wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2023 10:34 am
Helcat72 wrote:
The Butcher wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
You kind of make his point if Battle is not a Grad transfer
Do we know Battle isn’t graduating? I don’t see anything in his post that mentions graduating or not.

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Thu Apr 20, 2023 11:23 am

tetoncat wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2023 11:08 am
Cat Grad wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2023 11:03 am
Cat Grad wrote:
84CatGrad wrote:

You have said portal and NIL are great for the student athlete and you or another poster mentioned how it allows so much change that all teams have a chance like SDSU this year. Now you say it is a fixed game so can't be ruined. Can't be both. If fixed it is already ruined and purely entertainment so why would boosters at the schools that have no chance (since it's fixed) pour money into the programs.
Transparency is a great thing for the kids and their families whom have been put in these positions.

It's entertainment just like Boxing, Wrestling, virtually all pro sports. SDSU is more than coincidence, yet the Sleazy-Easy Big East still won, didn't they?

At least there's a few coaches out there like Calipari. It's a "business" whether we like it or not. A diversion.