WHO STAYS AND WHO GOES?

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

thefrank1
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Re: WHO STAYS AND WHO GOES?

Post by thefrank1 » Tue May 09, 2023 10:57 am

Luddites will always be Luddites.

While registering my vehicles the assessor stated "I have had both Cat and Griz students and alums work for me and the Griz end up working under the direction of the Cats."

tetoncat
Member # Retired

Post by tetoncat » Tue May 09, 2023 4:42 pm

Cat Grad wrote:
Tue May 09, 2023 8:49 am
thefrank1 wrote:
Tue May 09, 2023 8:37 am
That was the representation when he chose WV. Whether or not he gets the full $250k is still unknown.
Careful how you word that. There are those who post here who feel an athletic grant-in-aid is sufficient for kids and NIL and the portal is counter productive to them as fans. After all, they may have had to work their way through school, took out student loans, etc., and paying kids above and beyond the scholarship will ruin college athletics. You know, the same argument the IOC used to remove amateur labels from Olympians thirty or forty years ago before track clubs were allowed to pay athletes to train and perform.
Some who post may feel that the student who comes to a university, to get an education, and has an opportunity to get part of that paid, as well as get other perks like meals, training, healthcare, tutors etc in exchange for playing a sport are getting value and people act like they get nothing. One of the concerns with NIL is the Star get the $250,000. Then the last guy on the bench gets nothing. The tennis player, or track star, or swimmer get small % of the football or basketball player. Or the NAIA kid who puts in as much time, gets less money or other support. Don't they all deserve to get paid.

If we want to make them employees then push for that, pay them, break from NCAA and make them clubs. But without Institutional and Booster support most sports will fail. Boosters are supporting their school more than a specific athlete, but when does that financial support end. Does the graduate making $100,000 donate so the QB can make 100,000 in NIL.

Sports is not bigger than life

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Tue May 09, 2023 8:51 pm

Robert Ford III stays! Very happy about this.

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Wed May 10, 2023 8:02 am

tetoncat wrote:
Tue May 09, 2023 4:42 pm
Cat Grad wrote:
Tue May 09, 2023 8:49 am
thefrank1 wrote:
Tue May 09, 2023 8:37 am
That was the representation when he chose WV. Whether or not he gets the full $250k is still unknown.
Careful how you word that. There are those who post here who feel an athletic grant-in-aid is sufficient for kids and NIL and the portal is counter productive to them as fans. After all, they may have had to work their way through school, took out student loans, etc., and paying kids above and beyond the scholarship will ruin college athletics. You know, the same argument the IOC used to remove amateur labels from Olympians thirty or forty years ago before track clubs were allowed to pay athletes to train and perform.
Some who post may feel that the student who comes to a university, to get an education, and has an opportunity to get part of that paid, as well as get other perks like meals, training, healthcare, tutors etc in exchange for playing a sport are getting value and people act like they get nothing. One of the concerns with NIL is the Star get the $250,000. Then the last guy on the bench gets nothing. The tennis player, or track star, or swimmer get small % of the football or basketball player. Or the NAIA kid who puts in as much time, gets less money or other support. Don't they all deserve to get paid.

If we want to make them employees then push for that, pay them, break from NCAA and make them clubs. But without Institutional and Booster support most sports will fail. Boosters are supporting their school more than a specific athlete, but when does that financial support end. Does the graduate making $100,000 donate so the QB can make 100,000 in NIL.
Opportunities change over time. Marsh was never afforded the same opportunities now available to the track athletes.

https://www.deseret.com/2023/5/8/237149 ... k-festival

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Wed May 10, 2023 9:11 am

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Thu May 11, 2023 1:50 pm

RaeQuan's new coach:

https://wvusports.com/news/2023/5/10/me ... baker.aspx

Another thread has many fans upset over a rather questionable DUI written after the employee was already home. I've asked some upset over that if they've ever driven impaired, if they've ever pushed a vehicle out of the ditch. Seems only those like the Kardashians or a Fox News anchor can get off scot free by a certain Montana Highway Patrolman; e.g., no careless driving, too fast for condtions or DUI citation even though they were obviously impaired when they slid into the ditch. Ted Cruz can act like his usual self, a total ass, in the airport and nothing happens. Only the local yokels and MSU coaching staff is on this patrolman's radar...

The great C.J. Box from Wyoming is going to have as much fun mocking this as he did writing about the Montana Highway Patrol in that wonderful t.v. show, Big Sky...

PHAT CAT

Post by PHAT CAT » Sat Jun 17, 2023 7:37 pm

Bobby Huggins is stepping down. Where does RaeQuan go now? Utah State, here he comes.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Sat Jun 17, 2023 9:16 pm

PHAT CAT wrote:
Sat Jun 17, 2023 7:37 pm
Bobby Huggins is stepping down. Where does RaeQuan go now? Utah State, here he comes.
WVU had the #2 ranked portal class in the country behind Kansas, it will be interesting to see whether their guys leave or stay put and keep their strong roster intact. Utah State has a full roster, so there isn't a place for RaeQuan there unless Sprinkle lets someone go.

thefrank1

Post by thefrank1 » Sun Jun 18, 2023 8:59 am

PHAT CAT wrote:
Easiest answer ever. Stays at WV, competes in the big 12 the best basketball conference in the nation for great exposure and still gets his $250k in NIL. Utah State has nothing to offer.

While registering my vehicles the assessor stated "I have had both Cat and Griz students and alums work for me and the Griz end up working under the direction of the Cats."

homeytennis
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by homeytennis » Sun Jun 18, 2023 9:41 am

I looked at WVU's coaching staff and the No. 1 assistant has quite a bit of D-1 head coaching experience and a winning record also.

imacat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by imacat » Sat Jun 24, 2023 12:45 pm

PHAT CAT wrote:
https://www.thescore.com/ncaab/news/2668293

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Sat Jun 24, 2023 1:18 pm

imacat wrote:
Sat Jun 24, 2023 12:45 pm
PHAT CAT wrote:
RaeQuan mentioned being happy to play with those guys, especially Kriisa. Tossup on whether he stays or not now. Out with the real, in with the unknown. At least our athletic director is not named Wren.

imacat

Post by imacat » Sun Jun 25, 2023 10:25 pm

Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Sat Jun 24, 2023 1:18 pm
imacat wrote:
Sat Jun 24, 2023 12:45 pm
PHAT CAT wrote:
RaeQuan mentioned being happy to play with those guys, especially Kriisa. Tossup on whether he stays or not now. Out with the real, in with the unknown. At least our athletic director is not named Wren.
Kriisa is staying at West Virginia.

https://www.thescore.com/ncaab/news/2669148

imacat

Post by imacat » Sat Jul 08, 2023 11:22 pm

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Thu Jul 13, 2023 10:20 am

imacat wrote:
Sat Jul 08, 2023 11:22 pm
Did Huggins resign?

https://www.thescore.com/ncaab/news/2675295
Yep, and WVU went through a coaching search and found and hired a new coach Then earlier this week Huggins said no he didn't resign I am still the WVU head coach - despite clearing out his office months ago and a new gentleman now occupies the said office. It is a frick'n mess!

My opinion is that Huggin's realized how much money he left on the table and is now trying to get some of it back. One thing is for sure, the lawyers are going to make a killing on this.

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Montanabob » Thu Jul 13, 2023 8:03 pm

mslacat wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2023 10:20 am
imacat wrote:
Did Huggins resign?

Yep, and WVU went through a coaching search and found and hired a new coach Then earlier this week Huggins said no he didn't resign I am still the WVU head coach - despite clearing out his office months ago and a new gentleman now occupies the said office. It is a frick'n mess!

My opinion is that Huggin's realized how much money he left on the table and is now trying to get some of it back. One thing is for sure, the lawyers are going to make a killing on this.
I think the sticking point is his wife sent in the resignation. So can she resign for him? That's a stretch even in a community property state .

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Fri Jul 14, 2023 12:15 pm

Montanabob wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2023 8:03 pm
mslacat wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2023 10:20 am
imacat wrote:
Did Huggins resign?

I think the sticking point is his wife sent in the resignation. So can she resign for him? That's a stretch even in a community property state .
Here are some bullet points from what I have heard

After a drunk driving arrest, WVU received a resignation letter from an Attorney who has been Huggins's attorney since he has been at WVU and negotiated his current contract.
Within a few days of WVU receiving the resignation letter, Huggins came in and cleaned out his office.
WVC announced they would be looking for a new coach.
Eventually, they did hire a new coach
3 months after WVU received the resignation letter Huggins announces he did not really resign and that he has a new Attorney.

Now I can not vouch for all of this but if some of this is true it sure looks like he actually did resign. If he did not he has a great case against his former attorney. More importantly, why the frack did he wait 3 months to tell everybody that actually did not resign?

homeytennis
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by homeytennis » Fri Jul 14, 2023 9:09 pm

It sounds like the WVU administration did not read their employment contract with Huggie. There are several million reasons for Huggie to put up a fight.