USU fan: I come in peace

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Madmartigan
New Recruit

USU fan: I come in peace

Post by Madmartigan » Fri Apr 07, 2023 10:45 am

Many of you have likely already seen the news that USU has hired Danny Sprinkle. First, my condolences. This will be USU's fourth new HC in 8 years so I can relate. It's always painful when the ones you want to stay get poached.

All that said, I am here for a self serving purpose: What can you tell me about Coach Sprinkle? Strengths/weaknesses, favorite dog breed? I'm most interested in his recruiting and style of play.

I remember one of Sprinkle's first games as HC was against USU and Frey and the rest of your squad nearly beat us in Logan.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Re: USU fan: I come in peace

Post by wbtfg » Fri Apr 07, 2023 11:05 am

Madmartigan wrote:
Fri Apr 07, 2023 10:45 am
Many of you have likely already seen the news that USU has hired Danny Sprinkle. First, my condolences. This will be USU's fourth new HC in 8 years so I can relate. It's always painful when the ones you want to stay get poached.

All that said, I am here for a self serving purpose: What can you tell me about Coach Sprinkle? Strengths/weaknesses, favorite dog breed? I'm most interested in his recruiting and style of play.

I remember one of Sprinkle's first games as HC was against USU and Frey and the rest of your squad nearly beat us in Logan.
First of all. Danny is a GREAT guy. Very humble, very personable. Players, fans, boosters, staff will all love him....seriously, just a great guy.

I would say his teams have hung their hats on hard nosed defense and attacking the rim on offense. We haven't had great outside shooting, which is a bit ironic, because Danny is one of the all-time great 3pt shooters in MSU history. Danny has also been very good at end of game situations.

One thing to watch for is if he brings Chris Haslam with him as an assistant. If Chris is on staff, expect a strong contingent of Euro's, specifically UK to be in the recruiting mix. Sprinkle has also done well with transfers. I'd say his recruiting of US high schoolers hasn't panned out as well as transfers and Euro's.

I'd also be interested so see if USU poaches our AD as well, as he's also a young up and comer in the business.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Fri Apr 07, 2023 11:07 am

Sprinkle is an outstanding coach and recruiter. He is going to be very successful at USU. He is smart, takes care of his players and will be loved by the fan base. He took our struggling program and elevated us to two time conference champs in a very short time. We are regular development of players each year as has been evident with Battle, Belo and Osobor. He has been able to find good players in the portal and get them to Bozeman which is not easy to do because of location and general size of the city (compared to Portland or SLC or Boise). I expect he will be in Logan for 4 years and will then be poached by the PAC 12.

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Fri Apr 07, 2023 11:09 am

My expectation is you won't get to keep him very long either.
The thing with Sprinkle-he eats, sleeps, and lives basketball. I don't think he has any hobbies or anything else.
USU is a good gig-he'll do well there.

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Fri Apr 07, 2023 12:20 pm

Madmartigan wrote:

His players better to be ready to hit the books. And stay out of trouble. He is demanding, but a leader of men, not a pusher. If you want to come out of college as a better, more-educated human and basketball player, then play for Coach Sprinks. If not, best get on the bus. You guys hit the jackpot. Logan and USU is similar enough to Bozeman and MSU I have no doubt that he’ll hit the ground running.

Style of play: He said he was building the team here for tournament play.
Last edited by Bobcat4Ever on Fri Apr 07, 2023 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Fri Apr 07, 2023 12:22 pm

PISS OFF!!!!

Ha, just kidding. Thought it was funny you prefaced your post with "I come in peace".

You got a great one, and we are going to miss him bad. The fact is, you aren't going to find a single person on this board or anywhere in Bobcat Nation who will say anything bad about the guy, as a coach, a recruiter, or as a person. He's a rare find.

PHAT CAT
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by PHAT CAT » Fri Apr 07, 2023 12:56 pm

BelgradeBobcat wrote:
Fri Apr 07, 2023 11:09 am
The thing with Sprinkle-he eats, sleeps, and lives basketball. I don't think he has any hobbies or anything else.
Danny loves to play golf. Nico hooked him up with a couple dudes to play with in Vegas last summer. One of those dudes was Julius Erving. So yeah. He has a hobby.

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Fri Apr 07, 2023 12:58 pm

PHAT CAT wrote:
Fri Apr 07, 2023 12:56 pm
BelgradeBobcat wrote:
Danny loves to play golf. Nico hooked him up with a couple dudes to play with in Vegas last summer. One of those dudes was Julius Erving. So yeah. He has a hobby.
Playing golf with Julius Irving would qualify as “lives basketball.”

PHAT CAT

Post by PHAT CAT » Fri Apr 07, 2023 1:17 pm

Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Fri Apr 07, 2023 12:58 pm
PHAT CAT wrote:
Fri Apr 07, 2023 12:56 pm
BelgradeBobcat wrote:
Playing golf with Julius Irving would qualify as “lives basketball.”
Cool part is he didn't know Dr. J was going to be part of the group. Lol.... Nico has the hook ups.

BobcatDel

Post by BobcatDel » Fri Apr 07, 2023 1:25 pm

Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Fri Apr 07, 2023 12:20 pm
Madmartigan wrote:

His players better to be ready to hit the books. And stay out of trouble. He is demanding, but a leader of men, not a pusher. If you want to come out of college as a better, more-educated human and basketball player, then play for Coach Sprinks. If not, best get on the bus. You guys hit the jackpot. Logan and USU is similar enough to Bozeman and MSU I have no doubt that he’ll hit the ground running.

Style of play: He said he was building the team here for tournament play.
Ditto! Well said Bobcat4Ever! Go watch a practice and you see it!

MSU Toddler
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by MSU Toddler » Fri Apr 07, 2023 4:45 pm

I hope Sprinks kills it @ USU and we can return the condolences to USU fans in a few years as he moves up again! Thank you, Coach Sprinkle and good luck!

Never argue with an idiot. They bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

84CatGrad

Post by 84CatGrad » Fri Apr 07, 2023 8:20 pm

When Sprinkle was hired he came to a Billings luncheon for a meet and greet. When he spoke one of the things he said was "the last 20 Big Sky champs have led the league in defense or rebounding or both. Thats what we are going to do." The previous MSU coach's defensive legacy was horrible. We were giving up 80+ a game. Danny turned that around in short order and won two Big Sky 'ships because of it. The guy can coach.

lutecat
Member # Retired

Post by lutecat » Fri Apr 07, 2023 8:36 pm

Noone is going to let him know that Sprinkle won the bracket of all 64 teams for best looking coach?

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Fri Apr 28, 2023 11:26 am

Wonder who he'll pick up other than the Idaho kid after these two head for VCU:

https://kslsports.com/500768/former-uta ... om-at-vcu/

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Sat Apr 29, 2023 7:41 am

It appears he's doing a pretty decent job in the portal for you. Getting Brown to follow him to Logan should more than make up for the two you had last year, in my opinion. MSU was really lucky to have him for a year plus the big kid from Washington will dominate in a Great fashion...

https://www.deseret.com/2023/4/28/23703 ... basketball