Beasley in portal

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Beasley in portal

Post by AFCAT » Tue Apr 04, 2023 6:38 pm

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

imacat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Re: Beasley in portal

Post by imacat » Tue Apr 04, 2023 7:40 pm

Grace obviously did not “jell” with Coach Binford.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Tue Apr 04, 2023 8:05 pm

imacat wrote:
Tue Apr 04, 2023 7:40 pm
Yeah, I caught that too. :D

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

BobcatDel
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by BobcatDel » Tue Apr 04, 2023 8:21 pm

AFCAT wrote:
Tue Apr 04, 2023 8:05 pm
imacat wrote:
Well so much for my hoping she might come back for her last year. She was pretty frank about her thoughts…hope she finds a good home.

84CatGrad

Post by 84CatGrad » Tue Apr 04, 2023 10:18 pm

This portal thing is just stupid. It's far too easy. Every NCAA tourney game was filled with transfers. There should be some sort of limit.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Wed Apr 05, 2023 6:35 am

Whoa. Interesting thoughts there from Grace, sounds like it's best for both parties for her to move on.

MinnesotaBobcat
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by MinnesotaBobcat » Wed Apr 05, 2023 8:46 am

84CatGrad wrote:
Tue Apr 04, 2023 10:18 pm
This portal thing is just stupid. It's far too easy. Every NCAA tourney game was filled with transfers. There should be some sort of limit.
I believe 3 of our starters on the men’s team were transfers, as well as Ford, who made a big difference down the stretch. The portal is here to stay….the good teams will use it to their advantage.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Wed Apr 05, 2023 8:49 am

84CatGrad wrote:
Tue Apr 04, 2023 10:18 pm
Fortunately the NCAA has passed a rule for next year that should hopefully result in fewer second-time transfers before a player has graduated. It is pretty ridiculous when you see a player on their fourth team in four years, although the Portal will continue to play a huge role in college athletics with the one-time transfer waiver remaining in effect.

aucat

Post by aucat » Wed Apr 05, 2023 8:53 am

I watched quite a few games during the NCAA tournament and one thing that stands out is the fact that no other coach substitutes like Coach Binford. You can count on Coach Bin to start sending in subs when we are only three or so minutes into each game. In one way, I can see the advantage in that potential recruits can see that they will definitely get playing time and will not ride the pine. On the other hand, it seems that you need to be in the game longer to get "warmed up," and get a feel for the flow of the game.

If you are a really good player, you do not want to spend so much time on the bench. Most of the really good players I saw on NCAA tournament teams rarely came out, unless it was a brief break to "catch their breath" so to speak. The article said that Beasley averaged 18 minutes per game. Granted, we had some good players--Darian and Leah for example.

I guess you can't argue with the success that Coach Bin has enjoyed with the way she constantly rotates her players, and depth is a great thing to have. Trouble is, in this day and age of the portal, what is the magic formula for keeping players happy and not wanting to jump ship to another team over playing time? It's a landscape that no college sports fan likes, but it's what we now have. For example, LSU had NINE new players that were brought in this year and ended up winning the whole thing. By the way, we have a better defense than Iowa. LSU scored over 100 against Iowa and we held them to only 91!

84CatGrad

Post by 84CatGrad » Wed Apr 05, 2023 9:28 am

I wonder if a Bobcat team has ever played the eventual NCAA champ in a season before this year. Men or women.

imacat

Post by imacat » Wed Apr 05, 2023 1:06 pm

BobcatDel wrote:
Tue Apr 04, 2023 8:21 pm
AFCAT wrote:
imacat wrote:
Well so much for my hoping she might come back for her last year. She was pretty frank about her thoughts…hope she finds a good home.
After reading the article, I think the sooner Grace is gone - the better. Whatever is going on between Binford and her can divide and poison a locker room.

tetoncat
Member # Retired

Post by tetoncat » Wed Apr 05, 2023 1:13 pm

imacat wrote:
Wed Apr 05, 2023 1:06 pm
BobcatDel wrote:
Tue Apr 04, 2023 8:21 pm
AFCAT wrote:
imacat wrote:
After reading the article, I think the sooner Grace is gone - the better. Whatever is going on between Binford and her can divide and poison a locker room.
And could be why we performed so poorly at end of year. She was in a tough position playing behind White who no matter how bad a game she was having was not going to sit on bench long

Sports is not bigger than life

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Wed Apr 05, 2023 4:29 pm

I think Grace got about all the minutes she could expect. There are only so many to go around. With Darien and Leia (who was replaced by Madison as a starter) and Grace, there’s four good guards. That’s 80 minutes per game or 4x20. Getting 18 of those minutes is pretty good for a new player — nearly one-fourth — and her turnover issues really held her back earlier in the year. Apparently she didn’t think that she was coached up for those 18 minutes. Just my opinion among friends.

catscat

Post by catscat » Wed Apr 05, 2023 8:12 pm

I'm glad she's gone. Never impressed me. While she demonstrated lots of hustle, it often seemed her play was sloppy. She often took bad shots rather than give up the ball - just my opinion, of course, but were I the coach, she wouldn't have gotten 18 minutes per game. Seemed like she thought she was Darian White, and she's not.

Can't make up my mind as to which is better - 55-21 or 48-14.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Wed Apr 05, 2023 8:20 pm

catscat wrote:
Wed Apr 05, 2023 8:12 pm
I'm glad she's gone. Never impressed me. While she demonstrated lots of hustle, it often seemed her play was sloppy. She often took bad shots rather than give up the ball - just my opinion, of course, but were I the coach, she wouldn't have gotten 18 minutes per game. Seemed like she thought she was Darian White, and she's not.
The parting shots...er, comments about Coach Binford pretty much speak for themselves, don't they?

nevadacat
Member # Retired

Post by nevadacat » Wed Apr 05, 2023 9:54 pm

Beasley was a high-risk, high-reward player. A circus layup. Then, a turnover losing the handle on the ball. Then, an amazing no-look assist. Then, an off-balance brick.

I think she is fundamentally a good player, but she didn’t play fundamentally. Out of control more times than not, it seemed like she thought she had to be all-world all the time. I don’t think she jelled because didn’t accept her role and lacked the patience to become the superstar she wanted to be.

...for today we raise, the BLUE and GOLD to wave victorious!... GO CATS GO!

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Wed Apr 05, 2023 10:43 pm

nevadacat wrote:
Wed Apr 05, 2023 9:54 pm
Beasley was a high-risk, high-reward player. A circus layup. Then, a turnover losing the handle on the ball. Then, an amazing no-look assist. Then, an off-balance brick.

I think she is fundamentally a good player, but she didn’t play fundamentally. Out of control more times than not, it seemed like she thought she had to be all-world all the time. I don’t think she jelled because didn’t accept her role and lacked the patience to become the superstar she wanted to be.
:goodpost:

lutecat
Member # Retired

Post by lutecat » Fri Apr 07, 2023 8:55 pm

I didn't watch as many games as the rest of you but here's my real honest take of Beasley.
She made this team worse. When she was in she seemed to play at a frenetic pace. Sloppy and all over the place. Taking shots she had no business taking. And the game spead up when she was in. She seemed to run around like a chicken with its head cutoff. And the reason I say she made the team worse is anytime she came in the team played with less patience and seemed to copy her style and pace. Everyone started to rush and play sloppy. And make bad shots. It's like her energy rubbed off of her in a bad way. I was watching games and screaming for coach Bin to take her out because she was a liability.

tetoncat
Member # Retired

Post by tetoncat » Thu Apr 20, 2023 10:22 am

Signed with NAU

Sports is not bigger than life

thefrank1

Post by thefrank1 » Thu Apr 20, 2023 10:27 am

She fits in well with their program.

While registering my vehicles the assessor stated "I have had both Cat and Griz students and alums work for me and the Griz end up working under the direction of the Cats."