Beasley in portal

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

CatRowdy
BobcatNation Team Captain

Re: Beasley in portal

Post by CatRowdy » Fri Apr 21, 2023 10:23 pm

thefrank1 wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2023 10:27 am
She fits in well with their program.
I'm curious to see if she will. I think her home was Midland. Huskies didn't work out. She didn't find a home at MSU and she has one year left. Will she really be able to find a home at NAU for her style of play or will it be another not quite 'gelled' scenario.
I hope for her, she finds her home and has a great year. She's a nice person and certainly has skill on the court; seems she never really found her groove.

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Sat Apr 22, 2023 5:59 am

CatRowdy wrote:
Fri Apr 21, 2023 10:23 pm
thefrank1 wrote:
I'm curious to see if she will. I think her home was Midland. Huskies didn't work out. She didn't find a home at MSU and she has one year left. Will she really be able to find a home at NAU for her style of play or will it be another not quite 'gelled' scenario.
I hope for her, she finds her home and has a great year. She's a nice person and certainly has skill on the court; seems she never really found her groove.
I think she's going to fit in really well with Loree Payne. I really enjoy her style of basketball.

aucat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by aucat » Sat Apr 22, 2023 6:49 am

Seems like a lot of trouble to go to. Transfer to another Big Sky team to only play one year.
I have a feeling that NAU will give us a good whomping next year I'm afraid.

GrizgradCatFan

Post by GrizgradCatFan » Sat Apr 22, 2023 7:12 am

I saw both girls in the ridge yesterday practicing. Wondering if both will end up in AZ

84CatGrad

Post by 84CatGrad » Sat Apr 22, 2023 10:53 am

As if this portal thing couldn't get any worse now we have to watch our girls play against an ex-teammate twice next year, maybe thrice.

BobcatDel

Post by BobcatDel » Sun Apr 23, 2023 11:14 am

CatRowdy wrote:
thefrank1 wrote:
Hey CatRowdy……just a bit of embellishment on her history. Gracie is actually from Australia…when I interviewed her she came to US to improve her BB skills and went to play JC ball in Midland. She was recruited by Huskies but was injured first year and sat out the whole season. The Husky coach that recruited her was let go and she was not going to get time on the court with the new coach who came in so she left UW before the season……so her first real chance at D1 ball was with the Bobcats.

I agree the question is out there if she can really find a home at NAU. Based on her exit commentary she seems pretty strong willed. One thing in her favor is that NAU likes to play a faster pace game which fits Gracie style. But she has got to cleanup her turnovers and “out of control” play. If she can “gel” with her new coach/team and accept some coaching…. I agree with thefrank she can be formidable to play against. I’m certainly not looking forward to play against her.

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Sun Apr 23, 2023 1:24 pm

Why did the pace of MSU’s game slow down so much? The year the kids were all freshmen they set a school scoring record and averaged over 100 points for four straight games. They’ve morphed over time (with many of the same players) to ground-and-pound and often have trouble scoring. This may have affected player retention.

thefrank1

Post by thefrank1 » Sun Apr 23, 2023 3:52 pm

Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Sun Apr 23, 2023 1:24 pm
Why did the pace of MSU’s game slow down so much? The year the kids were all freshmen they set a school scoring record and averaged over 100 points for four straight games. They’ve morphed over time (with many of the same players) to ground-and-pound and often have trouble scoring. This may have affected player retention.
Excellent point!

While registering my vehicles the assessor stated "I have had both Cat and Griz students and alums work for me and the Griz end up working under the direction of the Cats."

CatRowdy

Post by CatRowdy » Tue Apr 25, 2023 4:30 pm

BobcatDel wrote:
Sun Apr 23, 2023 11:14 am
CatRowdy wrote:
thefrank1 wrote:
Hey CatRowdy……just a bit of embellishment on her history. Gracie is actually from Australia…when I interviewed her she came to US to improve her BB skills and went to play JC ball in Midland. She was recruited by Huskies but was injured first year and sat out the whole season. The Husky coach that recruited her was let go and she was not going to get time on the court with the new coach who came in so she left UW before the season……so her first real chance at D1 ball was with the Bobcats.

I agree the question is out there if she can really find a home at NAU. Based on her exit commentary she seems pretty strong willed. One thing in her favor is that NAU likes to play a faster pace game which fits Gracie style. But she has got to cleanup her turnovers and “out of control” play. If she can “gel” with her new coach/team and accept some coaching…. I agree with thefrank she can be formidable to play against. I’m certainly not looking forward to play against her.
Bobcatdel, I see how I confused you, I wrote an incomplete sentence. I've heard Grace speak and that definitely isn't a Midland, Texas accent, let alone her bio lists her home town and country. What I did intend to convey is I think her(Grace's) basketball program home' was Midland College, ie that's where she seemed to fit in best. I've also been told when she chose Midland College she thought it was a four year school; so she planned to play for them for four years.

I'm interested in your interview with her, did you publish an article? If so where may I find it?

Again, I hope Grace finds a home and has a good year with the exception of two conference games and any subsequent playoff games against MSU.

BobcatDel

Post by BobcatDel » Wed Apr 26, 2023 1:04 pm

CatRowdy wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2023 4:30 pm
BobcatDel wrote:
CatRowdy wrote:
thefrank1 wrote:

Bobcatdel, I see how I confused you, I wrote an incomplete sentence. I've heard Grace speak and that definitely isn't a Midland, Texas accent, let alone her bio lists her home town and country. What I did intend to convey is I think her(Grace's) basketball program home' was Midland College, ie that's where she seemed to fit in best. I've also been told when she chose Midland College she thought it was a four year school; so she planned to play for them for four years.

I'm interested in your interview with her, did you publish an article? If so where may I find it?

Again, I hope Grace finds a home and has a good year with the exception of two conference games and any subsequent playoff games against MSU.
Yep you had it right. No I didn’t publish anything…although I have thrown out tidbits on some posts. It’s just that I have more than a casual interest in Australia because we had a large operation there so I traveled in country for work several years and then traveled there for vacation when I was residing in Indonesia. Also my son and his wife lived there, my brother worked on one of the large interior farms/ranches before returning to get married and settle in Montana, and I have several close friends still residing there including one couple who actually retired on the west coast. So I enjoyed hearing a bit from Gracie on the country, her home, meeting her parents, her life progression, etc. Etc. One of her goals after basketball is to return to play rugby or Australian rules football and she is tough enough to do it! I posted on another thread about the Bobcat women rugby team leaving today for the nationals…..and my first thought was Gracie should be on that team!

Joe Bobcat
Member # Retired

Post by Joe Bobcat » Wed Apr 26, 2023 1:28 pm

BobcatDel wrote:
Wed Apr 26, 2023 1:04 pm
CatRowdy wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2023 4:30 pm
BobcatDel wrote:
CatRowdy wrote:
thefrank1 wrote:

Yep you had it right. No I didn’t publish anything…although I have thrown out tidbits on some posts. It’s just that I have more than a casual interest in Australia because we had a large operation there so I traveled in country for work several years and then traveled there for vacation when I was residing in Indonesia. Also my son and his wife lived there, my brother worked on one of the large interior farms/ranches before returning to get married and settle in Montana, and I have several close friends still residing there including one couple who actually retired on the west coast. So I enjoyed hearing a bit from Gracie on the country, her home, meeting her parents, her life progression, etc. Etc. One of her goals after basketball is to return to play rugby or Australian rules football and she is tough enough to do it! I posted on another thread about the Bobcat women rugby team leaving today for the nationals…..and my first thought was Gracie should be on that team!
Oh, her interest in playing rugby helps to explain her sometimes reckless abandon movements on the basketball court.
Good luck to Grace at NAU and beyond.

If you're looking for someone with a little authority, I'm your man. I have as little as anyone!

WalkOn79

Post by WalkOn79 » Fri Apr 28, 2023 9:31 am

I don't know. I'm sure not going to root for her to succeed in the Big Sky.

"One of the greatest feelings in the world, moving someone from point A to point B against their will"

Mitch Brott - 2019 Cat / Griz

CatRowdy

Post by CatRowdy » Fri Apr 28, 2023 11:04 pm

I don't think she wants to play aussie football over playing professional basketball

CatFanzzz
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by CatFanzzz » Tue May 02, 2023 11:17 am

From what I understand, there were issues with Beasley (as well as some of the other players) that were not basketball related. As we all know, one toxic person can definitely change the dynamics of a team. And when that one toxic person starts to manipulate teammates (and assistant coaches), it can create a division, which is what I believe we were witnessing at the end of the season. It's unfortunate that the Lady Cats ended in such a disappointing way, but it's even more disappointing that some players and coaches actually turned against others and made it impossible for them to continue playing for the program. I have a lot of respect for Coach Binford, and I hope she can get this program back on track, because it sure did get derailed.

BobcatDel

Post by BobcatDel » Tue May 02, 2023 12:30 pm

CatFanzzz wrote:
Tue May 02, 2023 11:17 am
From what I understand, there were issues with Beasley (as well as some of the other players) that were not basketball related. As we all know, one toxic person can definitely change the dynamics of a team. And when that one toxic person starts to manipulate teammates (and assistant coaches), it can create a division, which is what I believe we were witnessing at the end of the season. It's unfortunate that the Lady Cats ended in such a disappointing way, but it's even more disappointing that some players and coaches actually turned against others and made it impossible for them to continue playing for the program. I have a lot of respect for Coach Binford, and I hope she can get this program back on track, because it sure did get derailed.
I don’t know that program derailment is the right description. I was disappointed at first like everyone but then I step back and say “hey, we finished with a conference championship, another ring, another banner unfurling in the brick after a grueling 30 games”…..I never call a season championship a failure or derailment but that’s just me…..and I wished we would have gone on to tournament championship….but I don’t think we would have beaten Sac State in the semis after they were back at full compliment (Penueta returned).

Anyway, I am more excited about next season now. If you weren’t happy with the team and coaches that just left well you certainly are going to see a new one next year and on paper I like the new coaches coming in. And the new team is not complete yet….with one or two possible transfers to fill out (my prediction)…and a hungry 8 freshmen and sophomores chomping at the bit to play with several senior leaders… I’m staying positive…looking forward.

hoopsforhope
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by hoopsforhope » Wed May 03, 2023 2:39 pm

The young players are hungry for opportunity. I think they will do just fine.
If Lindsey is healthy - look out. I hope they all train hard in the off season.
Go bobcats go.

4Mare
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by 4Mare » Wed May 03, 2023 4:15 pm

Beattie joins Beasley in NAU

Bobcat4Ever

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Wed May 03, 2023 4:21 pm

Next, Bussey. ‘Cats win! ‘Cats win again!

tetoncat
Member # Retired

Post by tetoncat » Wed May 03, 2023 4:28 pm

I don't know enough about Bussey, but did they lose a lot, thought they were young (looks like only 2 seniors)so interesting where these two fit in

Sports is not bigger than life

lutecat
Member # Retired

Post by lutecat » Wed May 03, 2023 6:14 pm

thefrank1 wrote:
For the folks that aren't aware why, why is that?