Beasley in portal

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

84CatGrad
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Re: Beasley in portal

Post by 84CatGrad » Wed May 03, 2023 8:47 pm

This portal thing just sucks fifteen ways from Tuesday. Beasley AND Beattie to NAU??? For gods sake they could have gone anywhere and they go to a conference rival?? I hate it.

BobcatDel

Post by BobcatDel » Wed May 03, 2023 10:26 pm

84CatGrad wrote:
Wed May 03, 2023 8:47 pm
This portal thing just sucks fifteen ways from Tuesday. Beasley AND Beattie to NAU??? For gods sake they could have gone anywhere and they go to a conference rival?? I hate it.
And wait for it….wait for it….Bad Bear to announce….and announce NAU so we could make it the “4 Bs of Flagstaff”. All kinds of good fun with that….some nice jingle like “Loree and her Bobcat Bs”. Or maybe the “the Jacks with their Bobcat Bs” coming to play tonight. Maybe a new song something like “ …all my EX’s live in Flagstaff…”…….oh wait a minute there is already a song like that! Or a sportswriter headline…”Basketball's balling and battling Bobcat B’s buzzing in Big Sky at NAU…taking it by swarm…”.

Just kidding……Kola won’t end up at NAU based on last discussion….but stranger things have happened! She was on plane last week visiting a CA school but I really expect Kola to stay closer for family reasons……but just me talking because I know how important her family is to her. Hopefully she will share where she is at in a couple weeks.

But Beattie and Beasely could make a pretty dynamic guard duo at NAU.
Last edited by BobcatDel on Thu May 04, 2023 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

BobcatDel

Post by BobcatDel » Wed May 03, 2023 11:04 pm

lutecat wrote:
Wed May 03, 2023 6:14 pm
thefrank1 wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2023 10:27 am
She fits in well with their program.
For the folks that aren't aware why, why is that?
Well the way I look at it.

- NAU had 5 freshmen and 3 sophomores last year on a 12 woman roster. So they are young and could use some senior leadership.
- Of the 12 on roster last year they lose two all conference players in Schenck and Oltrogee. They have one senior all conference player returning in Rodabaugh who should be a lock in 1st or 2nd team all conference. Beyond that they have the two Moran sisters who are solid. I really think Beattie and Beasely could beat them out for playing time as well as other emerging sophomores or freshmen.
- I think if they can make the starting five for NAU they will both average close to 30 min per game which they desire.
- Finally, Loree teams tend to rank in top levels of offense output in conference (1st on recent season) and less on defense.
- tied with high scoring they tend to play more wide open and fast paced than most teams. Both Gracie and Leia seem to enjoy that more wide open style of play.

CatFanzzz
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by CatFanzzz » Thu May 04, 2023 7:41 am

Interesting choice. Seems like more of an "F U" to Bin than anything else. Based on rumors about team dynamics/relationships last year, I'm not at all surprised she followed Beasley, but I really hope NAU doesn't suffer the same toxicity that the Bobcats went through. I hope Bin and her girls do work against NAU next year.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Thu May 04, 2023 7:53 am

MSU has benefitted a decent amount from intraconference transfers over the past few years (Freije in WBB, Ford in MBB, Marqui Johnson in FB) so it's hard to get too upset when a couple of MSU players go the other way. It'll be interesting to see what kind of reaction Leia and Grace get when NAU comes to Bozeman next winter!

CatFanzzz
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by CatFanzzz » Thu May 04, 2023 9:03 am

Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Sun Apr 23, 2023 1:24 pm
Why did the pace of MSU’s game slow down so much? The year the kids were all freshmen they set a school scoring record and averaged over 100 points for four straight games. They’ve morphed over time (with many of the same players) to ground-and-pound and often have trouble scoring. This may have affected player retention.
The problem was that the team was imploding, and the relationships that were built over years of playing together were slowly being destroyed. I don't care how talented or athletic a team is, if there is not trust, the team will fall apart. Certain players and coaches were self-serving. It's that simple. By the end of the season, there were players and coaches who were not even speaking to one another. It's no surprise that the style of play changed and that players weren't meshing with one another.

arvcat2
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by arvcat2 » Thu May 04, 2023 10:16 am

CatFanzzz wrote:
Thu May 04, 2023 9:03 am
Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Why did the pace of MSU’s game slow down so much? The year the kids were all freshmen they set a school scoring record and averaged over 100 points for four straight games. They’ve morphed over time (with many of the same players) to ground-and-pound and often have trouble scoring. This may have affected player retention.
The problem was that the team was imploding, and the relationships that were built over years of playing together were slowly being destroyed. I don't care how talented or athletic a team is, if there is not trust, the team will fall apart. Certain players and coaches were self-serving. It's that simple. By the end of the season, there were players and coaches who were not even speaking to one another. It's no surprise that the style of play changed and that players weren't meshing with one another.
I recollect that on more than one occasion this past season, Binford referred to this team as one of, or possibly, the funnest groups she ever coached?? I guess the post game locker room water bottle splashing and smiles was something of a mirage.
Last edited by arvcat2 on Thu May 04, 2023 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

BobcatDel

Post by BobcatDel » Thu May 04, 2023 10:25 am

CatFanzzz wrote:
Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Do you have a lot of factual inside information on your claims or just rumors? You have 3 total posts that use words like “program derailing” or like “an F U to Bin” or “team imploding”. Those are rather dramatic so curious how you are getting that?

I see a disgruntled player who led the team in turnovers and had erratic play that didn’t deserve more minutes on the floor. I saw another player that I think could have been a leader on the team next year but was inconsistent and wanted more time but Coach Bin disagreed and she, the player, is not an angry or disruptive type person. I saw a team that won a regular season championship. I saw a team that went 12-5 after the Christmas / New Year break…including two wins over the Griz, a win over the ultimate tourney winner Sac State and just one week before the tourney nearly doubling the score on Portland State and holding them to only 34 total points. The most disappointing loss in the last half was to Eastern Washington at home at close of season and even in the first Q of that game we dominated scoring 25 points and doubling EWU but then letting down our guard and letting them back in.

So if you feel that strong then you have to applaud Coach Bin’s moves after the season.
Last edited by BobcatDel on Thu May 04, 2023 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

BobcatDel

Post by BobcatDel » Thu May 04, 2023 10:30 am

arvcat2 wrote:
Thu May 04, 2023 10:16 am
CatFanzzz wrote:
Bobcat4Ever wrote:
I recollect that on more than one occasion this past season, Binford referred to this team as one of, or possibly, the funniest groups she ever coached?? I guess the post game locker room water bottle splashing and smiles was something of a mirage.
Agree arvcat2…..when you listen to the girls that came to the booster meetings to meet the fans there was a lot of love expressed…. A strong family feeling. Obviously one of the kids did not feel included but what I saw was the positive side that the girls wanted to play for!

CatFanzzz
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by CatFanzzz » Thu May 04, 2023 12:24 pm

Perception is not always reality. And like I said, it only takes one toxic person to come into a group and change things. The team started out strong, and with a lot of promise, but it should be obvious that once Mia and Ava left, then Kola, Darian and Jackson all decided to forgo a 5th year with the Bobcats, and then Bussey and Mayes were let go, and finally, Beattie and Beasley are no longer Bobcats...that there is something happening internally. I do not believe that Coach Binford was aware of most of what was taking place until the damage was done. The players might have been putting on a show in public, but I guarantee there were issues. That being said, Binford is a good coach, with strong principles, and I do believe she will rebuild and not let this happen again.

BobcatDel

Post by BobcatDel » Sat May 13, 2023 8:17 am

CatFanzzz wrote:
Thu May 04, 2023 12:24 pm
Perception is not always reality. And like I said, it only takes one toxic person to come into a group and change things. The team started out strong, and with a lot of promise, but it should be obvious that once Mia and Ava left, then Kola, Darian and Jackson all decided to forgo a 5th year with the Bobcats, and then Bussey and Mayes were let go, and finally, Beattie and Beasley are no longer Bobcats...that there is something happening internally. I do not believe that Coach Binford was aware of most of what was taking place until the damage was done. The players might have been putting on a show in public, but I guarantee there were issues. That being said, Binford is a good coach, with strong principles, and I do believe she will rebuild and not let this happen again.
Kola, Darian and Jackson leaving had nothing to do with Mia and Ava departure. Join Fast Break Club and meet the ladies. Kola, Darian and Jackson told the group consistently they were exploring other options early in the year…they were moving on and unlikely to return. These are not “perceptions” they are stated facts from the ladies. Heck Jackson told us at the close of last season she was engaged and would be leaving after she got married this year. Ava and Mia left because they weren’t getting minutes on the court.

I’ll let you continue to speculate on the rest of the names you mention. But rather than speculate, join up to FBC to meet the team and coaches and see if it helps sort out your perceptions versus reality challenge.

DMMDCats

Post by DMMDCats » Sat May 13, 2023 11:40 am

You can if you can make the Wednesday meetings at BWW in bozotown.

For those of us who donated but can’t be in bozotown, we don’t get any information on ANYTHING.

Maybe weekly notes on the meetings like Rick does for QBC.

The BB clubs both need to make huge improvements to the meetings and notes sent out to those willing to help.$$$ could be $$$$$.

Have a wonderful day!!

BobcatDel

Post by BobcatDel » Sat May 13, 2023 2:17 pm

DMMDCats wrote:
Sat May 13, 2023 11:40 am

For those of us who donated but can’t be in bozotown, we don’t get any information on ANYTHING.

The BB clubs both need to make huge improvements to the meetings and notes sent out to those willing to help.$$$ could be $$$$$.
The men BB club has done a better job of that than the WBB. Quite a few of MBB meetings have been live online accessible. And there has been a periodic MBB newsletter.

Women venues have not been easily conducive for online sharing but it has been suggested before.

IT support would really help the WBB do a better job of that…….now wait a minute aren’t you in the IT side of business? A volunteer opportunity? 🤔

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Sun May 14, 2023 7:55 pm

BobcatDel wrote:
Sat May 13, 2023 2:17 pm
DMMDCats wrote:

The men BB club has done a better job of that than the WBB. Quite a few of MBB meetings have been live online accessible. And there has been a periodic MBB newsletter.

Women venues have not been easily conducive for online sharing but it has been suggested before.

IT support would really help the WBB do a better job of that…….now wait a minute aren’t you in the IT side of business? A volunteer opportunity? 🤔
If I could attend meetings virtually, and receive a newsletter, I would sign up again. 💵 Technical concerns should be a small hurdle. Put an iPhone on a tripod and connect to Facebook Live. Audio is trickier than video.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Sun May 14, 2023 8:55 pm

BobcatDel wrote:
Sat May 13, 2023 2:17 pm
DMMDCats wrote:

I get email updates on just about everything from the WBB team. I haven’t seen any videos of WBB meetings though.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

lutecat
Member # Retired

Post by lutecat » Sun Feb 11, 2024 3:22 pm

So 10 months later anyone have any new gossip?

Beattie's family family member on Facebook alluded it was not am exit on her part brought on by bad feelings.

Beasley we know why.

Bussey?

Maddie Jackson back.