Darian White in portal - no surprise.

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

grizzh8r
Golden Bobcat

Re: Darian White in portal - no surprise.

Post by grizzh8r » Tue Apr 04, 2023 10:49 pm

84CatGrad wrote:
Tue Apr 04, 2023 10:26 pm
AFCAT wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2023 1:13 pm
It will be an interesting Hall of Fame class when Ifanse and White are inducted together. Both are all time greats for MSU and both chose to use their last year of eligibility elsewhere. No harm doing that in my opinion and shouldn’t hurt their legacies, but still a strange fact.
I disagree. It very much harms their MSU legacy in my book. You want to be in the MSU hall of fame? Finish your career as a Bobcat. I wish Darian and Isaiah the best, and it is their prerogative to leave but I just don't see them the same way after they leave and go play elsewhere.
Yep, it's yet another product of this age of instant gratification. Sad reflection of society as a whole right now.

Eric Curry STILL makes me sad.
94VegasCat wrote:Are you for real? That is just a plain ol dumb paragraph! You just nailed every note in the Full Reetard sing-a-long choir!!!
:rofl:

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Wed Apr 05, 2023 6:13 am

grizzh8r wrote:
Tue Apr 04, 2023 10:49 pm
84CatGrad wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
It will be an interesting Hall of Fame class when Ifanse and White are inducted together. Both are all time greats for MSU and both chose to use their last year of eligibility elsewhere. No harm doing that in my opinion and shouldn’t hurt their legacies, but still a strange fact.
I disagree. It very much harms their MSU legacy in my book. You want to be in the MSU hall of fame? Finish your career as a Bobcat. I wish Darian and Isaiah the best, and it is their prerogative to leave but I just don't see them the same way after they leave and go play elsewhere.
Yep, it's yet another product of this age of instant gratification. Sad reflection of society as a whole right now.
Sad? Darian and Isaiah played four years for MSU and both will leave or have left MSU with their college degree. If you want to criticize the players who are jumping ship to a new school every year I get that, but these are two all-time great athletes at MSU and should be celebrated as such. To do otherwise seems vindictive and petty and an attempt to tell others how to live their lives for our own personal benefit as sports fans.

tetoncat
Member # Retired

Post by tetoncat » Wed Apr 05, 2023 7:26 am

84CatGrad wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
They played their 4 years, what more should we expect of them.
I have a bigger problem with career records being broken by getting 5 years

Sports is not bigger than life

Joe Bobcat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Joe Bobcat » Wed Apr 05, 2023 10:42 am

grizzh8r wrote:
84CatGrad wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
Wow, to each his own I guess but honestly to imply that Darian White is a student athlete who is looking for instant gratification completely ignores the 4 years of hard work and dedication she has given to MSU and the women’s basketball team. There are other 4-year players who are moving on with their lives and not using their 5th year of eligibility here at MSU. I could name them but will leave it to you to smear them with the instant gratification label.
Another sad reflection of society as a whole right now would be fans thinking that they are entitled to more than 4 years of play from a student athlete.
Of the many cases of student athletes using the transfer portal Darian's case is among the type of transfer that deserves the very least amount of criticism or better yet no criticism.

If you're looking for someone with a little authority, I'm your man. I have as little as anyone!

grizzh8r
Golden Bobcat

Post by grizzh8r » Wed Apr 05, 2023 3:27 pm

Joe Bobcat wrote:
Wed Apr 05, 2023 10:42 am
grizzh8r wrote:
84CatGrad wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
Wow, to each his own I guess but honestly to imply that Darian White is a student athlete who is looking for instant gratification completely ignores the 4 years of hard work and dedication she has given to MSU and the women’s basketball team. There are other 4-year players who are moving on with their lives and not using their 5th year of eligibility here at MSU. I could name them but will leave it to you to smear them with the instant gratification label.
Another sad reflection of society as a whole right now would be fans thinking that they are entitled to more than 4 years of play from a student athlete.
Of the many cases of student athletes using the transfer portal Darian's case is among the type of transfer that deserves the very least amount of criticism or better yet no criticism.
Loyalty and "stick with it" attitude is eroding away. I'll stand by that statement. Whatever happened to the "good things will come to those who wait" mentality? Happening everywhere, the transfer portal is just a microcosm of a much larger social issue regarding the lack of patience and perseverance.

Eric Curry STILL makes me sad.
94VegasCat wrote:Are you for real? That is just a plain ol dumb paragraph! You just nailed every note in the Full Reetard sing-a-long choir!!!
:rofl:

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Wed Apr 05, 2023 3:31 pm

grizzh8r wrote:
Wed Apr 05, 2023 3:27 pm
Joe Bobcat wrote:
Wed Apr 05, 2023 10:42 am
grizzh8r wrote:
84CatGrad wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
Loyalty and "stick with it" attitude is eroding away. I'll stand by that statement. Whatever happened to the "good things will come to those who wait" mentality? Happening everywhere, the transfer portal is just a microcosm of a much larger social issue regarding the lack of patience and perseverance.
Yes but if this was true no one would ever make any changes in their lives whatsoever. Have you worked the same job for the same company since you joined the workforce? Would you ever consider leaving for any reason at all? Did you ever switch majors or transfer schools? I have done all of the above and don't think "loyalty" has anything to do with it. :-k

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Wed Apr 05, 2023 4:14 pm

If Darien had left before this year, then unhappiness would have reigned. But truly, did anyone expect her to play next year? Rumors were that Coach Bin had not extended an offer. So, now the season ends, and Darien holds that weird Covid bonus year. By all accounts she wanted to play pro basketball somewhere. Just my honest opinion, but her game really wasn’t ready. She has all the talent in the world, but her game had become kind of stagnant — probe the left side, drive and turn the corner for a layup, nail the floater, or dump it inside or dish outside. Good stuff, but she needs more and she’s very capable of more. And I think her very best choice was to see if she could find a place to challenge herself against better competition, every day in practice and 30+ more games. Go, Darien, I hope I can watch you for another year. She got a real bonus with the Covid year, and I just think of it like she moved on (hopefully) to basketball grad school. That Covid year was really stressful for athletes, and they should be able to do anything they want with the reparation that was given them. Many are simply letting it go by the wayside. Congratulations to Darien for trying to put it to good use. 💙💛😺

The Butcher
Golden Bobcat

Post by The Butcher » Thu Apr 06, 2023 8:06 am

84CatGrad wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
Completely agree.
If I had a vote, I would not select either of them for the Hall of Fame. But I don't have a vote...
If they were selected I wouldn't agree, but I wouldn't be super upset. I would feel like it taints being in the Hall of Fame as they would be the only ones selected who did NOT choose to finish their collegiate career as a Bobcat. The Hall of Fame should not just be accomplishments, it should also be about your dedication to the University for your entire career.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Thu Apr 06, 2023 8:42 am

The Butcher wrote:
Thu Apr 06, 2023 8:06 am
84CatGrad wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
Completely agree.
If I had a vote, I would not select either of them for the Hall of Fame. But I don't have a vote...
If they were selected I wouldn't agree, but I wouldn't be super upset. I would feel like it taints being in the Hall of Fame as they would be the only ones selected who did NOT choose to finish their collegiate career as a Bobcat. The Hall of Fame should not just be accomplishments, it should also be about your dedication to the University for your entire career.
I'm glad you don't have a vote then. College students come to MSU for four or more years, graduate, and move on to the next stage of their lives. I did it, my guess is that you did it, let's be ok with athletes doing it too. The previous Hall of Fame athletes who began at MSU and graduated all played four years just like Darian and Isaiah did.

The Butcher
Golden Bobcat

Post by The Butcher » Thu Apr 06, 2023 10:51 am

MSU01 wrote:
Thu Apr 06, 2023 8:42 am
The Butcher wrote:
84CatGrad wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
Completely agree.
I'm glad you don't have a vote then. College students come to MSU for four or more years, graduate, and move on to the next stage of their lives. I did it, my guess is that you did it, let's be ok with athletes doing it too. The previous Hall of Fame athletes who began at MSU and graduated all played four years just like Darian and Isaiah did.
Well I am glad you are glad that I don't have a vote. :lol: :lol: :lol:

tetoncat
Member # Retired

Post by tetoncat » Thu Apr 06, 2023 11:28 am

MSU01 wrote:
Thu Apr 06, 2023 8:42 am
The Butcher wrote:
84CatGrad wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
Completely agree.
Agreed, they have played 4 years. Not sure we should expect a group within this COVID mess to have to play more just to be able to be in HOF. They are in a unique group that we hopefully won't see happen again.

Sports is not bigger than life

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Tue Apr 18, 2023 10:20 am

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

imacat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by imacat » Tue Apr 18, 2023 10:24 am

CONGRATULATIONS Darion!!!! Go get ‘em.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Tue Apr 18, 2023 10:50 am

Very cool! I don't recall if he left MSU before or after Darian arrived, but Nebraska just hired Julian Assibey as an assistant coach for next year.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Tue Apr 18, 2023 11:03 am

MSU01 wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2023 10:50 am
Very cool! I don't recall if he left MSU before or after Darian arrived, but Nebraska just hired Julian Assibey as an assistant coach for next year.
I believe he was on the staff for her freshman year.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

thefrank1
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by thefrank1 » Tue Apr 18, 2023 11:37 am

Congratulations Darien, ear up the Big whatever.

While registering my vehicles the assessor stated "I have had both Cat and Griz students and alums work for me and the Griz end up working under the direction of the Cats."

thefrank1

Post by thefrank1 » Tue Apr 18, 2023 11:38 am

Congratulations Darien, eat up the Big whatever.

While registering my vehicles the assessor stated "I have had both Cat and Griz students and alums work for me and the Griz end up working under the direction of the Cats."

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Tue Apr 18, 2023 1:04 pm

Yay. Woo-hoo.

FTG- GO CATS GO!

aucat

Post by aucat » Tue Apr 18, 2023 1:16 pm

My 2 cents: we are living in different times. Example: Bo Nix played FOUR years at Auburn and GRADUATED from Auburn. But he will always be remembered as a product of Oregon. Russell Wilson was a great player at NC State and only played one year at Wisconsin. But he will always be known as a Badger. If Darian White has a great year for Nebraska she will always be remembered for being a Husker (except to Bobcat fans.). I have no idea what the HOF committees are going to do going forward. It’s an entirely different landscape for sure.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Tue Apr 18, 2023 2:43 pm

aucat wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2023 1:16 pm
My 2 cents: we are living in different times. Example: Bo Nix played FOUR years at Auburn and GRADUATED from Auburn. But he will always be remembered as a product of Oregon. Russell Wilson was a great player at NC State and only played one year at Wisconsin. But he will always be known as a Badger. If Darian White has a great year for Nebraska she will always be remembered for being a Husker (except to Bobcat fans.). I have no idea what the HOF committees are going to do going forward. It’s an entirely different landscape for sure.
I would certainly hope that the HOF committees ignore the optional COVID year and focus on what players did during their normal 4 years of eligibility.