Darian White in portal - no surprise.

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Re: Darian White in portal - no surprise.

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Tue Apr 18, 2023 3:33 pm

CelticCat wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2023 11:03 am
MSU01 wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2023 10:50 am
Very cool! I don't recall if he left MSU before or after Darian arrived, but Nebraska just hired Julian Assibey as an assistant coach for next year.
I believe he was on the staff for her freshman year.
That is correct. 19-1 in Big Sky play. Happy to see them re-united. Two of my favorites.
Last edited by Bobcat4Ever on Tue Apr 18, 2023 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Tue Apr 18, 2023 3:36 pm

MSU01 wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2023 2:43 pm
aucat wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2023 1:16 pm
My 2 cents: we are living in different times. Example: Bo Nix played FOUR years at Auburn and GRADUATED from Auburn. But he will always be remembered as a product of Oregon. Russell Wilson was a great player at NC State and only played one year at Wisconsin. But he will always be known as a Badger. If Darian White has a great year for Nebraska she will always be remembered for being a Husker (except to Bobcat fans.). I have no idea what the HOF committees are going to do going forward. It’s an entirely different landscape for sure.
I would certainly hope that the HOF committees ignore the optional COVID year and focus on what players did during their normal 4 years of eligibility.
Exactly. It’s a one-shot deal. Can’t make Darian play 5 years when Peyton Ferris skates through with only 4.

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Tue Apr 18, 2023 4:02 pm

Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2023 3:33 pm
CelticCat wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2023 11:03 am
MSU01 wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2023 10:50 am
Very cool! I don't recall if he left MSU before or after Darian arrived, but Nebraska just hired Julian Assibey as an assistant coach for next year.
I believe he was on the staff for her freshman year.
That is correct. 19-1 in Big Sky play. Happy to see them re-united. Two my favorites.
I remember coach Assibey being interviewed at halftime of a game against Weber State. I don't remember the exact circumstances, but Coach Assibey's quote was, " A pissed off Darian White is somebody you don't want to deal with." I think it had to with physical play, but I thought it was funny. So yes-they know each other.

Catlady
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Catlady » Tue Apr 18, 2023 5:13 pm

The Butcher wrote:
Thu Apr 06, 2023 8:06 am
84CatGrad wrote:
Tue Apr 04, 2023 10:26 pm
AFCAT wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2023 1:13 pm
It will be an interesting Hall of Fame class when Ifanse and White are inducted together. Both are all time greats for MSU and both chose to use their last year of eligibility elsewhere. No harm doing that in my opinion and shouldn’t hurt their legacies, but still a strange fact.
I disagree. It very much harms their MSU legacy in my book. You want to be in the MSU hall of fame? Finish your career as a Bobcat. I wish Darian and Isaiah the best, and it is their prerogative to leave but I just don't see them the same way after they leave and go play elsewhere.
Completely agree.
If I had a vote, I would not select either of them for the Hall of Fame. But I don't have a vote...
If they were selected I wouldn't agree, but I wouldn't be super upset. I would feel like it taints being in the Hall of Fame as they would be the only ones selected who did NOT choose to finish their collegiate career as a Bobcat. The Hall of Fame should not just be accomplishments, it should also be about your dedication to the University for your entire career.
So UNC shouldn’t retire Jordan’s number or put him in their Hall of Fame because he left early for the NBA? Times are changing. The Covid year is screwy…… players give 4 years and graduate and that’s not hall of fame worthy? What if you transfer in? I’m just amazed that we put so much demand on our players. Dame left Weber after 3 years? Is he not hall of fame worthy? 4 years is a college career…… you’re applying standards to players that commit, play 4 years and graduate. Because of Covid, they can play 5! Records are dropping like crazy at every school. Players are being given 5 years to accomplish what others did in 4. College is an experience…… not a sentence!

thefrank1
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by thefrank1 » Tue Apr 18, 2023 5:26 pm

Catlady wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2023 5:13 pm
The Butcher wrote:
Thu Apr 06, 2023 8:06 am
84CatGrad wrote:
Tue Apr 04, 2023 10:26 pm
AFCAT wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2023 1:13 pm
It will be an interesting Hall of Fame class when Ifanse and White are inducted together. Both are all time greats for MSU and both chose to use their last year of eligibility elsewhere. No harm doing that in my opinion and shouldn’t hurt their legacies, but still a strange fact.
I disagree. It very much harms their MSU legacy in my book. You want to be in the MSU hall of fame? Finish your career as a Bobcat. I wish Darian and Isaiah the best, and it is their prerogative to leave but I just don't see them the same way after they leave and go play elsewhere.
Completely agree.
If I had a vote, I would not select either of them for the Hall of Fame. But I don't have a vote...
If they were selected I wouldn't agree, but I wouldn't be super upset. I would feel like it taints being in the Hall of Fame as they would be the only ones selected who did NOT choose to finish their collegiate career as a Bobcat. The Hall of Fame should not just be accomplishments, it should also be about your dedication to the University for your entire career.
So UNC shouldn’t retire Jordan’s number or put him in their Hall of Fame because he left early for the NBA? Times are changing. The Covid year is screwy…… players give 4 years and graduate and that’s not hall of fame worthy? What if you transfer in? I’m just amazed that we put so much demand on our players. Dame left Weber after 3 years? Is he not hall of fame worthy? 4 years is a college career…… you’re applying standards to players that commit, play 4 years and graduate. Because of Covid, they can play 5! Records are dropping like crazy at every school. Players are being given 5 years to accomplish what others did in 4. College is an experience…… not a sentence!
Another great post Catlady! Thank you for the thoughtful posts and excellent sense of perspective.

While registering my vehicles the assessor stated "I have had both Cat and Griz students and alums work for me and the Griz end up working under the direction of the Cats."