Alex Germer in the Portal

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

tetoncat
Member # Retired

Re: Alex Germer in the Portal

Post by tetoncat » Fri Mar 31, 2023 3:36 pm

Cat Grad wrote:
Fri Mar 31, 2023 2:47 pm
Desert_Bobcat wrote:
Fri Mar 31, 2023 2:18 pm
Germer commits to NAIA National Champs College of Idaho. He joins a former Idaho/Montana Select AAU coach in Colby Blaine and only adds talent to the best NAIA school in the country at the moment. This is a great move to learn and develop even more from a coach who’s knows Alex’s strengths.
Wish him the best and don’t diminish this move. Blaine is one of the bigger names at the NAIA level and will go as high as he wants in the coaching realm.
They'll have four Montana high school kids next year as Peoples is also joining the two on the team now.
How do NAIA scholarships work. On broadcast of Tech game they mentioned they had no seniors. There were 2 or 3 in street clothes, (redshirt or Injured) about 13 dressed out, and they have announced 2 or 3 commits.

Sports is not bigger than life

tetoncat
Member # Retired

Post by tetoncat » Fri Mar 31, 2023 3:38 pm

LTown Cat wrote:
Fri Mar 31, 2023 1:36 pm
I don't feel like this year had any legit D1 guys. 2 of the 3 you mentioned are committed to NAIA programs and I feel they are great fits at that level. The last one has NAIA interest in both bball and fball so it'll be interesting which way he goes. Next year I think there might be a guy or two who could be fringe D1...have to see how they develop over the next 10-12 months.

Edit:
Germer to College of Idaho

Is Robinson a tweener for positions. Strong, good leader, shoots well outside, decent passer. Maybe not quick enough for D1 guard or big enough for 3-5?

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Fri Mar 31, 2023 3:52 pm

tetoncat wrote:
Fri Mar 31, 2023 3:36 pm
Cat Grad wrote:
Desert_Bobcat wrote:
Germer commits to NAIA National Champs College of Idaho. He joins a former Idaho/Montana Select AAU coach in Colby Blaine and only adds talent to the best NAIA school in the country at the moment. This is a great move to learn and develop even more from a coach who’s knows Alex’s strengths.
Wish him the best and don’t diminish this move. Blaine is one of the bigger names at the NAIA level and will go as high as he wants in the coaching realm.
They'll have four Montana high school kids next year as Peoples is also joining the two on the team now.
How do NAIA scholarships work. On broadcast of Tech game they mentioned they had no seniors. There were 2 or 3 in street clothes, (redshirt or Injured) about 13 dressed out, and they have announced 2 or 3 commits.
https://www.scholarships.com/financial- ... olarships/

When I had two kids attending college at the same time, it amazed me that I wrote smaller checks to Rocky than to the University of Montana and the UM books, tuition and board was Montana resident. My youngest son's girlfriend paid less as a nonresident at MSU than she would have paid resident in her home state.

NAIA schools ordinarily have excellent financial aide employees. I'd have to research as to how many scholarship athletes a school can have. A quick call to any of the Montana NAIA school's athletic departments could provide the numbers for you.

CatBot
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by CatBot » Fri Mar 31, 2023 4:12 pm

Sometimes the portal gets it exactly right. It's worth acknowledging the RaeQuan Battle and Alex Germer type examples of this crazy idea actually doing the right thing for student athletes.

tetoncat
Member # Retired

Post by tetoncat » Fri Mar 31, 2023 4:46 pm

Cat Grad wrote:
Fri Mar 31, 2023 3:52 pm
tetoncat wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:
Desert_Bobcat wrote:

When I had two kids attending college at the same time, it amazed me that I wrote smaller checks to Rocky than to the University of Montana and the UM books, tuition and board was Montana resident. My youngest son's girlfriend paid less as a nonresident at MSU than she would have paid resident in her home state.

NAIA schools ordinarily have excellent financial aide employees. I'd have to research as to how many scholarship athletes a school can have. A quick call to any of the Montana NAIA school's athletic departments could provide the numbers for you.
That's too much work :lol:
Really was just curious if they could split and had max. Just seems like they have way more players than D1

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Fri Mar 31, 2023 4:51 pm

tetoncat wrote:
Fri Mar 31, 2023 4:46 pm
Cat Grad wrote:
tetoncat wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:
Desert_Bobcat wrote:

Really was just curious if they could split and had max. Just seems like they have way more players than D1
They do. I honestly don't know if there's a limit as to how many kids they can have on their rosters.

LTown Cat
Golden Bobcat

Post by LTown Cat » Fri Mar 31, 2023 6:54 pm

Cat Grad wrote:
Fri Mar 31, 2023 4:51 pm
tetoncat wrote:
Fri Mar 31, 2023 4:46 pm
Cat Grad wrote:
tetoncat wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:
Desert_Bobcat wrote:

They do. I honestly don't know if there's a limit as to how many kids they can have on their rosters.
There’s a full scholly limit. I can’t remember if it’s 6 or 8. But they’re allowed to split the value of the full scholly’s any way they want. So for example MSU-N didn’t have anyone getting 100% paid this year but they had like 12 guys getting something. Also, if a kid gets a 3.5 gpa then he counts as a 1/2 scholly deduction. If he gets a 4.0 he counts as a full scholly deduction. I’m also pretty sure redshirts don’t count towards the scholly count in the NAIA.