WBB Next Year

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

snarf
BobcatNation Redshirt

Re: WBB Next Year

Post by snarf » Tue Apr 18, 2023 5:28 pm

aucat wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2023 1:08 pm
So Nebraska gets our recruiting coordinator and our star player. Shouldn’t they send us a couple of their second stringers??

https://dohz8k90z3boq.cloudfront.net/im ... format=jpg
They also have one of our former athletic trainers and one of our former strength coaches.

arvcat2
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by arvcat2 » Thu Apr 20, 2023 5:47 am

arvcat2 wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2023 5:22 pm
Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Sat Apr 08, 2023 4:34 pm
84CatGrad wrote: Not sure if your scholarship math includes Egan but I heard through the grapevine that she will be a walk-on.
I believe that women’s basketball has 15 full scholarships available, no splitting. In the past Trish has taken a walk-on or two, so I wouldn’t be surprised. It would indicate building toward a roster size of 16.
The press releases say she was “signed”. Do walk-ons sign something?
Question answered. Egan got a full-ride scholarship:

https://406mtsports.com/college/big-sky ... 5f695.html

aucat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by aucat » Thu Apr 20, 2023 8:01 pm

Interesting that MSU was the only D-1 school to offer. I hope Coach Binford sees things no one else did and will be rewarded by her play.

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Fri Apr 21, 2023 12:30 am

aucat wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2023 8:01 pm
Interesting that MSU was the only D-1 school to offer. I hope Coach Binford sees things no one else did and will be rewarded by her play.
I think Malea pretty much went unnoticed. Colstrip, even by Class B standards, is pretty remote. 125 miles from Billings, about 30 miles off I-94. It’s a pretty small town, buoyed by population from all the ranches around. If there is local media, it’s hyper-local. And the team was 8-15 this year, so their record surely didn’t create any buzz. It sounds like she has plenty of athleticism (plays everything) and speed and quickness. She’s a hard worker, evidenced by her work in the gym with her mom to improve her scoring ability. I’ll bet Coach Bin is looking forward to coaching her up.

84CatGrad

Post by 84CatGrad » Sat Apr 22, 2023 11:00 am

arvcat2 wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2023 5:47 am
arvcat2 wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2023 5:22 pm
Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Sat Apr 08, 2023 4:34 pm
84CatGrad wrote: Not sure if your scholarship math includes Egan but I heard through the grapevine that she will be a walk-on.
I believe that women’s basketball has 15 full scholarships available, no splitting. In the past Trish has taken a walk-on or two, so I wouldn’t be surprised. It would indicate building toward a roster size of 16.
The press releases say she was “signed”. Do walk-ons sign something?
Question answered. Egan got a full-ride scholarship:

https://406mtsports.com/college/big-sky ... 5f695.html
That's wonderful! Glad I was wrong.

84CatGrad

Post by 84CatGrad » Sat Apr 22, 2023 11:16 am

The 'Cats have lost three good guards - including one of the best to ever wear the blue and gold. But there is reason for optimism. Two freshman, Dylan Phillip and Mattie Olson, will be back. Olson didn't play much but Phillip played 8 min/game. You know that both are fired up by the sudden opportunity that has opened up. The 'Cats also signed Malea Egan and Natalie Picton, a very accomplished guard from Canada. In addition, Isobel Bunyon, a 6' guard-forward from the UK is coming in, as well as Brooke Berry. This is plenty of talent for Coach Bin to work with.

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Post by Helcat72 » Sun Apr 23, 2023 1:10 am

I hope we are able to field a strong team. The "other school" looks loaded with their new transfers plus the two sophomore guards, Stump and Konig, Bartsch, Gfeller, and Marxen the transfer guard from Idaho.

2024 Resume dominance

84CatGrad

Post by 84CatGrad » Sun Apr 23, 2023 9:15 am

Helcat72 wrote:
Sun Apr 23, 2023 1:10 am
I hope we are able to field a strong team. The "other school" looks loaded with their new transfers plus the two sophomore guards, Stump and Konig, Bartsch, Gfeller, and Marxen the transfer guard from Idaho.
I'm optimistic with Limardo, Deden, Dykstra, and Janssen back as solid veterans. A big boost would be for Hein to take a big step forward. She has not shown much yet but has the potential. I look for coach Bin to add at least one veteran guard via the transfer portal.

BobcatDel

Post by BobcatDel » Sun Apr 23, 2023 11:46 am

84CatGrad wrote:
Sun Apr 23, 2023 9:15 am
Helcat72 wrote:
Sun Apr 23, 2023 1:10 am
I'm optimistic with Limardo, Deden, Dykstra, and Janssen back as solid veterans. A big boost would be for Hein to take a big step forward. She has not shown much yet but has the potential. I look for coach Bin to add at least one veteran guard via the transfer portal.
Thanks for the reminder of all the new kids coming to WBB in your other post above CatGrad. I can’t keep track so it was a nice reminder. I agree we’ve got a good core to build around and we’ve got a lot of youth and question marks coming in. I’m actually starting to get the first tingles of excitement to see what this new team might look like and what Coach Bin and the new assistant staff will do. I like your thoughts that we appear to have a number of guard candidates which can undoubtedly work ….it’s just in my 9 years in watching WBB I think this is the first time I can remember we haven’t had a “proven” point guard in the wings that will obviously take over. So excited to see who that will be. My other wish is that one or two of the new kids will emerge to be consistent 3 point shooters from the arc…I’m still holding my breath that KJ returns giving us one lady who shoots at the 39% level from the arc but boy it would be nice to have 3 Tori, Riley or Hannah type shooters from the arc to give us consistent strength in that area (some have mentioned Berry but I haven’t seen her play so hope she is one).

Met Maddie Olsen at the Brick on Friday. They can practice 4 hours per week before summer and she is “itching” to get on the court. Glad to see she is healthy and ready to get after it.

CatRowdy

Post by CatRowdy » Tue Apr 25, 2023 8:56 pm

WBB next year.... I don't really see how this is different from several other years. If not for Covid, the seniors, (Darien, Kola, Maddie and Grace) would be gone. It isn't surprising they are using their covid eligibility to try and get more exposure. Losing Leia isn't great but we gained Brooke, and if Leia was unhappy with the program than it's best she explores her options. I don't like the portal as a whole but it's here and all teams have to deal with the outcomes.
We have great incoming seniors, and I think they will be true leaders. They played second behind some great seniors so this is the year they will really shine. They will get more reps and usually more reps result in increased skill. I think when the focus comes to them they will rise to the occasion. They need the boosters support.
Lindsey as a red shirt freshman has been in the program long enough, she has to understand the play so I'm hoping she will be able to step in healthily and really so us her capability. I have faith in her I just hope she is healthy enough to play!
The up and coming sophomores are so strong! Dylan showed good minutes and seem to adjust quickly to the speed of the game. Mattie, while she didn't get a lot of minutes due to her knee, she has a great attitude and I think approach to the game. I expect she will surprise a lot of the Big Sky. And finally Marah, she's likely one of the strongest posts MSU has had. She played against Angel Reese and while she got beat a bit, she really did hold her own for being a freshman on the court. I think she really developed this year and will continue to grow and perhaps dominate the Big Sky posts.
And then the transfers and recruits. Coach Bin has had a damn good record bringing in talent and transfers. I can't say I know all that much about the new class and Brooke, but everything I've heard leads me to believe they are here for a reason, and that reason is to be part of and contribute to a winning program.
So, while we don't know everything and a lot is to be determined,the possibilities don't have to be dire, it might not turn out to be a full rebuilding year. Top teams find a way to stay on top, this team knows the expectations before them; don't underestimate their commitment and desire.
Go CATS!

arvcat2

Post by arvcat2 » Wed Apr 26, 2023 8:51 am

People keep referring to Dykstra as a post player or the #5 position. She appears to be a forward or a #4 by my understanding as she is typically facing the basket as opposed to having her back to the basket while on offense. Please educate me as I am by no means a basketball technician.

CatRowdy

Post by CatRowdy » Fri Apr 28, 2023 11:07 pm

I don't think it reduces down to whether you face the basket or not, you have to move out of the key. But what I do know is Dykstra has a competitive fire and an ego to play hard. She's going to dominate the Big Sky as long as she is developed.

84CatGrad

Post by 84CatGrad » Sun Apr 30, 2023 9:44 pm

I, too, have high hopes for Dykstra. She just looks very strong and athletic. And Deden could lead us in scoring, or Limardo. And Janssen is already a solid contributor and likely to get better. I have faith in coach Bin to mix them up with the youth and new players and produce a winner.

arvcat2

Post by arvcat2 » Thu May 04, 2023 1:32 pm

It’s probably asking too much but it would be nice if anyone in the media would get an interview with Binford to recap the season (emphasis on the season ending fade) and maybe address the rumored dissension within that team, attempt to obtain answers on the coaching changes (like why a resent HOF inductee was released?) and portal transfers out, ask about her covid extra year policy, how’s recruiting for 2023 (transfers in?) & 2024 is coming along, and a preliminary outlook for upcoming season.
I may have missed it, but if there is a substantive post season interview with Binford, please post a link to it.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Thu May 04, 2023 6:00 pm

Binford boom

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

CatFanzzz
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by CatFanzzz » Fri May 05, 2023 2:22 pm

arvcat2 wrote:
Thu May 04, 2023 1:32 pm
It’s probably asking too much but it would be nice if anyone in the media would get an interview with Binford to recap the season (emphasis on the season ending fade) and maybe address the rumored dissension within that team, attempt to obtain answers on the coaching changes (like why a resent HOF inductee was released?) and portal transfers out, ask about her covid extra year policy, how’s recruiting for 2023 (transfers in?) & 2024 is coming along, and a preliminary outlook for upcoming season.
I may have missed it, but if there is a substantive post season interview with Binford, please post a link to it.
I would like to see what she says about some of these things as well. I don't believe she thought this would be the scenario, but now that it is, I have faith that she will make the best of it. It can't feel good to have been blindsided by some of the things that have happened. I know for a fact that some of the people were asked to leave, so not every exit took her by surprise.

4Mare
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by 4Mare » Fri May 05, 2023 2:43 pm

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Fri May 05, 2023 2:53 pm

4Mare wrote:
Fri May 05, 2023 2:43 pm
Pepperdine transfer with 3 years of eligibility. Only averaged 2.6 PPG as a freshman but started their last 5 games and played a lot of minutes. Welcome Drea!

imacat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by imacat » Fri May 05, 2023 2:55 pm

MSU01 wrote:
Fri May 05, 2023 2:53 pm
4Mare wrote:
Fri May 05, 2023 2:43 pm
Pepperdine transfer with 3 years of eligibility. Only averaged 2.6 PPG as a freshman but started their last 5 games and played a lot of minutes. Welcome Drea!
https://pepperdinewaves.com/sports/wome ... field/3975

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Fri May 05, 2023 2:58 pm

I have very little memory of her kicking players and coaches out the door. I remember a couple transfers a long time ago, but there may have been plenty of others that weren’t known. There have been a few good players leave over time — but I don’t ever remember a departing player writing a nasty-gram about the coach and program. This started in 2021-22 when the team was strangely inconsistent. Somehow they righted the ship and won the tournament. This past year it was obvious that the same problems had resurfaced and magnified themselves. It was unprecedented to get totally embarrassed at home in the first quarter against Arizona State and again against Eastern Washington (I think it was). And then they really collapsed at the end of the schedule, turned what should have been a conference title into a three-way share and got knocked out of the tournament by a team they had killed a month earlier. Quite honestly, and just in my opinion, they looked like a crew that was ready to get on the bus and leave.

I guess one bad apple can spoil the bunch. I applaud Coach Bin for taking decisive action to cut out the rotten spot. Too bad that it had to happen. I also think we may have seen the true brilliance of Darian in getting a sinking ship to the shore both years. An MVP performance if there ever was one, or two. Just IMHO.

Go, ‘Cats, Go. 💙 💛 😺