WBB Next Year

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Re: WBB Next Year

Post by MSU01 » Fri May 05, 2023 3:11 pm

By my count, this accounts for 14 spots on next year's roster with 7 returning players, 2 transfers, and 5 freshman recruits. It will be interesting to see how Coach Binford fills the final two spots available or if she even decides to fill the 15th slot.

arvcat2
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by arvcat2 » Fri May 05, 2023 4:43 pm

MSU01 wrote:
Fri May 05, 2023 3:11 pm
By my count, this accounts for 14 spots on next year's roster with 7 returning players, 2 transfers, and 5 freshman recruits. It will be interesting to see how Coach Binford fills the final two spots available or if she even decides to fill the 15th slot.
My guess is Binford will keep that last scholarship in her back pocket (assuming no last minute portal loss) in case a special player falls in her lap like Brooke Berry did last December.

lutecat
Member # Retired

Post by lutecat » Fri May 05, 2023 5:23 pm

arvcat2 wrote:
Thu May 04, 2023 1:32 pm
It’s probably asking too much but it would be nice if anyone in the media would get an interview with Binford to recap the season (emphasis on the season ending fade) and maybe address the rumored dissension within that team, attempt to obtain answers on the coaching changes (like why a resent HOF inductee was released?) and portal transfers out, ask about her covid extra year policy, how’s recruiting for 2023 (transfers in?) & 2024 is coming along, and a preliminary outlook for upcoming season.
I may have missed it, but if there is a substantive post season interview with Binford, please post a link to it.
The rumored desention just is from busy bodies on the internet. There's nothing to it. Look at coach Bin has reacted to the players that left. She posts congratulatory tweets to them. It sounds like you're trying to put legs to any dissention narrative.

arvcat2

Post by arvcat2 » Fri May 05, 2023 5:35 pm

lutecat wrote:
Fri May 05, 2023 5:23 pm
arvcat2 wrote:
It’s probably asking too much but it would be nice if anyone in the media would get an interview with Binford to recap the season (emphasis on the season ending fade) and maybe address the rumored dissension within that team, attempt to obtain answers on the coaching changes (like why a resent HOF inductee was released?) and portal transfers out, ask about her covid extra year policy, how’s recruiting for 2023 (transfers in?) & 2024 is coming along, and a preliminary outlook for upcoming season.
I may have missed it, but if there is a substantive post season interview with Binford, please post a link to it.
The rumored desention just is from busy bodies on the internet. There's nothing to it. Look at coach Bin has reacted to the players that left. She posts congratulatory tweets to them. It sounds like you're trying to put legs to any dissention narrative.
Go read or reread the Beasley in the portal thread. It ain't me putting legs in the dissention narrative my friend.

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Fri May 05, 2023 5:39 pm

arvcat2 wrote:
Fri May 05, 2023 4:43 pm
MSU01 wrote:
My guess is Binford will keep that last scholarship in her back pocket (assuming no last minute portal loss) in case a special player falls in her lap like Brooke Berry did last December.
You are dead right. Coach Bin loves having that last scholarship available. As well, she also once said that she prefers never to have more than five freshmen on the roster because they require so much extra coaching. (She broke her rule one time and added a sixth freshman — ironically Leia Beattie). With two transfers as well, I’d guess the book is closed. As I wrote earlier, she really needed another “big” — Drea has Kola’s length and athletic look.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Fri May 05, 2023 7:28 pm

lutecat wrote:
arvcat2 wrote:
There's definitely something to it, but it's also true that Coach Binford is far too professional to ever make any of it public and that's the best way to handle it. Everyone can move on, and there's still plenty of talent on the MSU roster for next year and moving forward.

tetoncat
Member # Retired

Post by tetoncat » Fri May 05, 2023 7:32 pm

Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Fri May 05, 2023 2:58 pm
I have very little memory of her kicking players and coaches out the door. I remember a couple transfers a long time ago, but there may have been plenty of others that weren’t known. There have been a few good players leave over time — but I don’t ever remember a departing player writing a nasty-gram about the coach and program. This started in 2021-22 when the team was strangely inconsistent. Somehow they righted the ship and won the tournament. This past year it was obvious that the same problems had resurfaced and magnified themselves. It was unprecedented to get totally embarrassed at home in the first quarter against Arizona State and again against Eastern Washington (I think it was). And then they really collapsed at the end of the schedule, turned what should have been a conference title into a three-way share and got knocked out of the tournament by a team they had killed a month earlier. Quite honestly, and just in my opinion, they looked like a crew that was ready to get on the bus and leave.

I guess one bad apple can spoil the bunch. I applaud Coach Bin for taking decisive action to cut out the rotten spot. Too bad that it had to happen. I also think we may have seen the true brilliance of Darian in getting a sinking ship to the shore both years. An MVP performance if there ever was one, or two. Just IMHO.

Go, ‘Cats, Go. 💙 💛 😺
Is it possible too much focus was put on Darian and that attention led to jealousy. She was great, but I thought took a step back this year. She had a few games she should have sat more but she was one that performance didn't impact time

Sports is not bigger than life

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Fri May 05, 2023 11:04 pm

2025 recruit

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

imacat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by imacat » Sat May 06, 2023 1:20 am

AFCAT wrote:
Fri May 05, 2023 11:04 pm
2025 recruit

https://www.d1basketballdfw.com/page/sh ... ylee-guinn

84CatGrad
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by 84CatGrad » Sun May 07, 2023 3:58 pm

AFCAT wrote:
Fri May 05, 2023 11:04 pm
2025 recruit

Sounds like a long shot but what the heck.

CatFanzzz
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by CatFanzzz » Mon May 08, 2023 10:03 am

tetoncat wrote:
Fri May 05, 2023 7:32 pm
Bobcat4Ever wrote:
I have very little memory of her kicking players and coaches out the door. I remember a couple transfers a long time ago, but there may have been plenty of others that weren’t known. There have been a few good players leave over time — but I don’t ever remember a departing player writing a nasty-gram about the coach and program. This started in 2021-22 when the team was strangely inconsistent. Somehow they righted the ship and won the tournament. This past year it was obvious that the same problems had resurfaced and magnified themselves. It was unprecedented to get totally embarrassed at home in the first quarter against Arizona State and again against Eastern Washington (I think it was). And then they really collapsed at the end of the schedule, turned what should have been a conference title into a three-way share and got knocked out of the tournament by a team they had killed a month earlier. Quite honestly, and just in my opinion, they looked like a crew that was ready to get on the bus and leave.

I guess one bad apple can spoil the bunch. I applaud Coach Bin for taking decisive action to cut out the rotten spot. Too bad that it had to happen. I also think we may have seen the true brilliance of Darian in getting a sinking ship to the shore both years. An MVP performance if there ever was one, or two. Just IMHO.

Go, ‘Cats, Go. 💙 💛 😺
Is it possible too much focus was put on Darian and that attention led to jealousy. She was great, but I thought took a step back this year. She had a few games she should have sat more but she was one that performance didn't impact time
The problem with sitting Darian was that there was nobody willing/able to step into her shoes on both ends of the floor. Even in games where she "took a step back", she was still extremely proficient handling the ball and running the defense. There were games where she wasn't as affective offensively, but no other player consistently played defense for 94 feet, and she did that game after game, while staying out of foul trouble. She also had extremely low turnovers for as much as she handled the ball. Beasley had as many turnovers as White, and she played fewer than half the minutes. She was also selfish and cared more about her own success than the teams, which is something we never saw with Darian. But, I do think you are onto something with your comment about the attention she got leading to jealousy...which in turn caused her to question her role at times...creating a disconnect on the team.

CatFanzzz
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by CatFanzzz » Mon May 08, 2023 10:06 am

lutecat wrote:
arvcat2 wrote:
You can't believe everything you read on the internet. Some people keep the truth close to the vest and only allow the public to see what they want them to see. Unfortunately, the dissention is real, and those at the heart of it are no longer part of the program.

CatFanzzz
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by CatFanzzz » Mon May 08, 2023 10:08 am

MSU01 wrote:
Fri May 05, 2023 7:28 pm
lutecat wrote:
arvcat2 wrote:
There's definitely something to it, but it's also true that Coach Binford is far too professional to ever make any of it public and that's the best way to handle it. Everyone can move on, and there's still plenty of talent on the MSU roster for next year and moving forward.
Exactly this. Coach Bin handled it the way we would expect her to, with dignity and grace, but there was definitely a breakdown of trust and team comradery.

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Mon May 08, 2023 11:21 am

CatFanzzz wrote:
Mon May 08, 2023 10:03 am
tetoncat wrote:
Fri May 05, 2023 7:32 pm
Bobcat4Ever wrote:

Go, ‘Cats, Go. 💙 💛 😺
The problem with sitting Darian was that there was nobody willing/able to step into her shoes on both ends of the floor. Even in games where she "took a step back", she was still extremely proficient handling the ball and running the defense. There were games where she wasn't as affective offensively, but no other player consistently played defense for 94 feet, and she did that game after game, while staying out of foul trouble. She also had extremely low turnovers for as much as she handled the ball. Beasley had as many turnovers as White, and she played fewer than half the minutes. She was also selfish and cared more about her own success than the teams, which is something we never saw with Darian. But, I do think you are onto something with your comment about the attention she got leading to jealousy...which in turn caused her to question her role at times...creating a disconnect on the team.
It’s sad that an emotion like jealousy would come into play, but I’m afraid you may be correct. Darian was arguably the “most valuable player to have on a team” in the Big Sky for four straight years. If I were choosing sides on Saturday morning, I’d take her! With a good attitude, a player is happy to be on a team with the MVP because it leads to team success like winning championships. With a bad attitude, or one of unreasonable expectations, a player turns that great play into a negative. I do think something clearly affected Darian, as she seemed less confident and that big smile during games was less frequent. But I am really looking to the new look team of 2023-2024 as we knew four years ago this year would be one of change. I hope this year’s recruiting class can be as impactful as that one was. 💙 💛 😺

BobcatDel

Post by BobcatDel » Sat May 13, 2023 8:41 am

Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Fri May 05, 2023 5:39 pm
arvcat2 wrote:
Fri May 05, 2023 4:43 pm
MSU01 wrote:
You are dead right. Coach Bin loves having that last scholarship available. As well, she also once said that she prefers never to have more than five freshmen on the roster because they require so much extra coaching. (She broke her rule one time and added a sixth freshman — ironically Leia Beattie). With two transfers as well, I’d guess the book is closed. As I wrote earlier, she really needed another “big” — Drea has Kola’s length and athletic look.
She was pursuing two experienced transfers as of a couple weeks ago. One has landed in Drea. I know Coach is pretty selective so will be interesting to see if she keeps pursuing the other transfer too or keeps that scholarship in her pocket like you noted. I suspect the decision on whether she picks up the other experienced transfer depends on what she saw out of the guard play in the spring drills just concluded. That likely told Coach whether she has what she wants with Philip, Olsen, Berry, etal. Another item I thought of was if the new assistants happened to have someone that had they had been helping along…in particular Ryan Johnson who seems to be a good recruiter.

arvcat2

Post by arvcat2 » Mon Jun 26, 2023 9:34 am

Madison Jackson appears in social media photos from the recently completed MSU sponsored girls basketball camp along with some of the current players and some camp attendees. Has there been a change whereby she’s coming back for her 5th free “covid year” or is she just helping out for other reasons?

She lost a significant amount of playing time during her sophomore and junior years due to illness & injuries and would be quite deserving of another year on the roster if that is one of the reasons she was participating in the camp.

BobcatDel

Post by BobcatDel » Mon Jun 26, 2023 4:27 pm

arvcat2 wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2023 9:34 am
Madison Jackson appears in social media photos from the recently completed MSU sponsored girls basketball camp along with some of the current players and some camp attendees. Has there been a change whereby she’s coming back for her 5th free “covid year” or is she just helping out for other reasons?

She lost a significant amount of playing time during her sophomore and junior years due to illness & injuries and would be quite deserving of another year on the roster if that is one of the reasons she was participating in the camp.
No change I am aware. She told us she was giving it up once she got married and she is still getting married this summer. She does have a Covid year left to play if she wants it. If she has had a change of heart I haven’t heard it but who knows?!

CatBot
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by CatBot » Mon Jun 26, 2023 5:05 pm

BobcatDel wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2023 4:27 pm
arvcat2 wrote:

No change I am aware. She told us she was giving it up once she got married and she is still getting married this summer. She does have a Covid year left to play if she wants it. If she has had a change of heart I haven’t heard it but who knows?!
I hope she plays. She feisty and aggressive. We're better with Madison on the team.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Mon Jun 26, 2023 9:02 pm

arvcat2 wrote:

MSU has updated its online roster and Madison isn't on it. Her #20 has also been assigned to Brooke Berry. Doubt she's returning.

Joe Bobcat
Member # Retired

Post by Joe Bobcat » Mon Jun 26, 2023 11:45 pm

arvcat2 wrote:
Fri May 05, 2023 5:35 pm
lutecat wrote:
arvcat2 wrote:
Go read or reread the Beasley in the portal thread. It ain't me putting legs in the dissention narrative my friend.
Call it dissention or call it something else, the fact is there were real problems and real issues that were distractions that caused less than the best performance from the team. It is quite likely that is all in the past now so yeah it's about time for the fan board to move on as well but there is no point in pretending there weren't issues. Coach Binford is a class act and of high character and therefore she will wish the best for every player who moves on.

If you're looking for someone with a little authority, I'm your man. I have as little as anyone!