Next year

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Re: Next year

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Mon Mar 20, 2023 7:52 am

Cataholic wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2023 10:36 pm
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2023 6:57 pm
Cataholic wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2023 2:50 pm
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2023 10:31 am
Cataholic wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:28 pm
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:13 pm
Cataholic wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2023 2:25 pm
We only lose Belo and Fuller next year. The loss of Belo is tough, but he was so inconsistent this year. Hopefully Osobor will continue to improve and provide steady production next year. You could still see how raw he is in last nights game. If he improves similarly to this year, he will be first or second team all conference next year. Fuller was nice to have, but I think we have capable guys ready to take his minutes. Lecholat, Patterson and McMahon are all starters if on other Big Sky teams and they will all only be juniors next year. The foundation is set for us to win for years to come. We just need more consistency on offense from game to game.
I haven’t seen enough McMahon to say otherwise, but the other two…no. They can hardly hit open shots at a decent clip.
Can always count on you to trash a player regardless of your knowledge. Let me guess…. You coached a 4th grade girls basketball team and are an expert on player evaluation.
I simply refuted the idea they’re good enough to start for other BSC teams. That’s not trashing anybody. Besides, I wasn’t the only person that shared that opinion, so I’m not sure why you’re targeting me. I’m terribly sorry that I don’t share the same OPINION as you.
It is funny how YOU commented on my original post, yet somehow I am targeting you :lol: :lol: :lol: Your passive aggressive schtick has grown old.

By the way, I am not the only person that thinks Lecholat and Patterson are legit starters. Another poster responded to your comments right after I did. But most importantly, Sprinkle has started both of these guys for multiple games. He clearly thinks they are good enough to start on the tournament conference champion team. The only guy who hasn’t started is McMahon who is stuck behind Evans - otherwise he would be starting.

And of course your comment “they can hardly hit open shots”is not considered trashing anyone in your Belligerent mindset. It is just your opinion. You would never trash anyone.
I think I’ve found the problem here. We’re watching two completely different teams. I’m fairly certain there’s nobody on the team with the last name Evans, and certainly not a starter.

Fwiw, Patterson shot 34% from deep, almost all his shots are wide open. He doesn’t take contested shots. Lecholat percentage wise is a little better, but in conference games he was quite bad shooting the ball, or maybe it was just the games I watched. Saying they struggled to make open shots isn’t trashing somebody, it’s merely an observation rooted in fact. Unless you think 34% is a good percentage. I don’t. Maybe that’s our difference.
I meant he is behind Raequan Battle, not Raequan Evans. Not too many Raequans in the world and I have made that mistake before when talking basketball. But I am guessing you don’t know who Raequan Evans would be anyway.

You should take a look at the Big Sky leaders in 3 point shooting percentage. Not sure why, but they only list three guys for the leaders. The 3rd place guy in the conference shot 38%….

https://bigskyconf.com/stats.aspx?path= ... &conf=true

By the way, Sprinkle had Patterson as a starter for almost all of the season. But of course your huge basketball knowledge clearly is better than Sprinkle. You are a basketball wizard!

And Lecholat does other things that don’t show up in the books. He is probably the best passing forward I have seen at MSU in 20 years. His basketball IQ is high and his hustle is outstanding. He will be a significant part of MSU’s success in the future. So will Patterson and McMahon.

Of course you are entitled to your opinion and your standard tearing down of payers, even though you don’t have a clue what you are watching.
I know enough about RayQuan Evans to know how to spell his name without looking it up…

Look. I’m more than fine to agree to disagree on what we see on the court. That’s normal, we both have opinions and we can both argue them. That’s what the board is for. I just take offense to you saying I trashed anybody. One can talk about the qualities, or lack thereof, of a player without making it personal. Just like if I say somebody is a great player, it doesn’t mean I think they’re a great person. It ain’t personal, it’s just about what you see on the court. Now your post agreeing with the dude about the Mims kids from Billings…that was trashing somebody.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Mon Mar 20, 2023 8:20 am

Done arguing with you. There is no reasoning. I bring up a legitimate point and you change the discussion. Just put me on ignore and quit commenting on my posts. You have this strange fixation on anything I post - like my original post from this thread.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Mon Mar 20, 2023 12:00 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 8:20 am
Done arguing with you. There is no reasoning. I bring up a legitimate point and you change the discussion. Just put me on ignore and quit commenting on my posts. You have this strange fixation on anything I post - like my original post from this thread.
We are allowed to be critical of players, they are D1 athletes. Since when is saying "they can't hit shots at a decent clip" and "I don't think they are starters everywhere else in the Big Sky" trashing a player?

There was nothing wrong with Belligerent's response to you, however your response to him wasn't just "passive aggressive", it was aggressive.

I don't know what it is with you two but figure it out, this isn't the first thread you've mucked up with your personal beefs.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Mon Mar 20, 2023 6:23 pm

CelticCat wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 12:00 pm
Cataholic wrote:
We are allowed to be critical of players, they are D1 athletes. Since when is saying "they can't hit shots at a decent clip" and "I don't think they are starters everywhere else in the Big Sky" trashing a player?

There was nothing wrong with Belligerent's response to you, however your response to him wasn't just "passive aggressive", it was aggressive.

I don't know what it is with you two but figure it out, this isn't the first thread you've mucked up with your personal beefs.
Thanks for piping in. Would a “personal beef” be similar to someone calling you clown cat? I didn’t comment on that as it wasn’t any of my business.

As for my response, the guy regularly comments on my posts. He is always negative but tries to pass it in a passive aggressive way. Like I said, he has a strange fixation on anything I post, so an aggressive post seems appropriate.

grizzh8r
Golden Bobcat

Post by grizzh8r » Mon Mar 20, 2023 9:53 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 6:23 pm
CelticCat wrote:
Cataholic wrote:

Thanks for piping in. Would a “personal beef” be similar to someone calling you clown cat? I didn’t comment on that as it wasn’t any of my business.

As for my response, the guy regularly comments on my posts. He is always negative but tries to pass it in a passive aggressive way. Like I said, he has a strange fixation on anything I post, so an aggressive post seems appropriate.
I think it's fair to say that your use of the victim card is pretty played out here on BN. I also think it's fair to say that you are easily blinded by blue and gold glasses. It's as if a comment critical of the players/coaches/team is taken personally and the responses to said comments are almost always a counterattack. Posters like @BelligerentBobcat @Lord Vigo and Bobcat99 (who appears to have changed his username because I can no longer @ mention him) are not mean spirited, they are just brutally honest. They call it like they see it and don't let their allegiance to their team blind their vision. And their observations are generally astute.

For the record, at this point it's absolutely fair to say Patterson didn't have a very good season. Hopefully it was just a sophomore slump and he comes out and shoots 5-10% better from behind the arc next season. And there is no doubt Sam is a tweener right now.

I would have loved to see McMahon in the rotation during conference play, he likely would have taken significant minutes from Patterson, as he's more of a threat to drive the basket and made exactly half of his threes in his 15 games this season. This program desperately needs better outside shooters and better dribble drive scorers moving forward. Belo, Osobor and Battle had to carry too much of the load. And the nights when 1 or 2 of them were off, the offense was painful to watch.

Eric Curry STILL makes me sad.
94VegasCat wrote:Are you for real? That is just a plain ol dumb paragraph! You just nailed every note in the Full Reetard sing-a-long choir!!!
:rofl:

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Tue Mar 21, 2023 8:27 am

grizzh8r wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 9:53 pm
Cataholic wrote:
CelticCat wrote:
Cataholic wrote:

I think it's fair to say that your use of the victim card is pretty played out here on BN. I also think it's fair to say that you are easily blinded by blue and gold glasses. It's as if a comment critical of the players/coaches/team is taken personally and the responses to said comments are almost always a counterattack. Posters like @BelligerentBobcat @Lord Vigo and Bobcat99 (who appears to have changed his username because I can no longer @ mention him) are not mean spirited, they are just brutally honest. They call it like they see it and don't let their allegiance to their team blind their vision. And their observations are generally astute.

For the record, at this point it's absolutely fair to say Patterson didn't have a very good season. Hopefully it was just a sophomore slump and he comes out and shoots 5-10% better from behind the arc next season. And there is no doubt Sam is a tweener right now.

I would have loved to see McMahon in the rotation during conference play, he likely would have taken significant minutes from Patterson, as he's more of a threat to drive the basket and made exactly half of his threes in his 15 games this season. This program desperately needs better outside shooters and better dribble drive scorers moving forward. Belo, Osobor and Battle had to carry too much of the load. And the nights when 1 or 2 of them were off, the offense was painful to watch.
I agree with much of what you said. This is a fan board though so excuse me for wearing my blue and gold glasses. Seems like this is a place where blue and gold glasses should be welcomed by the majority. And quite frankly, we don’t need a “know it all expert” like Belligerent telling everyone how bad he thinks everyone is with his “stayed at a Holiday Inn Express” level of expertise. Patterson is not a bad shooter, but he did have a down year. Shooters will occasionally struggle with their shot, but I fully expect him to recover. Fuller is better defensively so he took more of his minutes late in the season. Calling a guys shot as “just not good” may not be a personal attack, but is that really necessary? I don’t think it is.

Your comments above are a stark contrast to his “Belligerent ways” as another posted mentioned. Wouldn’t it be nice if more people posted like you did above so other posters would feel comfortable posting? Maybe your “mean spirited” versus “brutally honest” comment is more accurate, but then he continued to argue how Patterson is not good using his shooting percentage, which is completely wrong. You mentioned that I take such arguments personally and “counterattack”. Given Patterson won’t be defending himself on this forum, I don’t see anything wrong with countering his argument. I am not sure that providing the Big Sky league leaders percentage and mentioning that Sprinkle thinks Patterson is legit was really an “attack”. In hindsight, I should have left off the part that he didn’t know what he was talking about.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Tue Mar 21, 2023 9:24 am

It will be interesting to see how things develop with Osobor being the main guy and not having Belo to draw some of the other big defenders away. I agree we will miss Belo more than it might appear, even if he didn't fill up the stat sheet he sucked away defenders like others have mentioned. Osobor benefited maybe more than anyone from that.

My dream scenario is Patterson comes off the bench and can focus more on scoring than on defense. Patterson brings the ability to knock in some 3s and play pretty good defense, although we saw Kansas State take advantage of him quite a bit. We played 13 games against teams above .500 and Patterson his just 21.8% of his 3 pointers in those games. In all other games he was 45.6% from deep. I realize it's going to be the same for all players and I don't have time to dive into all of that but I think it shows that good teams can take advantage of Patterson's weaknesses. He is good all around player that seems to be settling into a bad at nothing but not great at anything role. Isn't going to cost you in most games but isn't going to win you any games.

I don't know about the development of the rest of the roster and who would start at the 4 right now but I think a core of Osobor, Brown, Battle and McMahon is a really good starting spot. Yes I'm on the McMahon bandwagon, I like what I saw in limited action but also I've heard that the staff is incredibly high on him, he is going to be a good one. He is just an inch shorter than Patterson but has a lot more in his wheelhouse, he can score it from all over and he can finish at the rim.

https://twitter.com/MSUBobcatsMBB/statu ... 5507810308

Maybe we try a lineup:
C Osobor
F McMahon
F Patterson
G Battle
G Brown

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Tue Mar 21, 2023 12:37 pm

Just to clarify, I think Patterson is a good player off the bench. As a starter, I would view that as a position that should be upgraded.

He came in billed as a good shooter so I hope he finds his shot back, but it’s hard to argue he didn’t struggle this season. Averaging 34% on what is largely uncontested 3’s just flat out isn’t good. What MSU needed was someone to consistently hit the open shots that the presence of Belo/Osobor gave them, and they just didn’t have it. Teams could sink in and double the bigs with little recourse. To be better, they need better spacing. To get better spacing, they need better shooting. I think that’s fair to say, yes?

Lord Vigo
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Lord Vigo » Tue Mar 21, 2023 1:21 pm

grizzh8r wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 9:53 pm
Cataholic wrote:
CelticCat wrote:
Cataholic wrote:

Excuse me, sir, but I object to the notion that I am astute in anything I post.

Thank you and good day.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Tue Mar 21, 2023 2:51 pm

BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2023 12:37 pm
Just to clarify, I think Patterson is a good player off the bench. As a starter, I would view that as a position that should be upgraded.

He came in billed as a good shooter so I hope he finds his shot back, but it’s hard to argue he didn’t struggle this season. Averaging 34% on what is largely uncontested 3’s just flat out isn’t good. What MSU needed was someone to consistently hit the open shots that the presence of Belo/Osobor gave them, and they just didn’t have it. Teams could sink in and double the bigs with little recourse. To be better, they need better spacing. To get better spacing, they need better shooting. I think that’s fair to say, yes?
Of course it's fair to say. If MSU knocks down a few more 3s early against KSU we may well have been watching the Bobcats play Kentucky last Sunday.

Desert_Bobcat
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Desert_Bobcat » Tue Mar 21, 2023 3:11 pm

MSU01 wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2023 2:51 pm
BelligerentBobcat wrote:

Of course it's fair to say. If MSU knocks down a few more 3s early against KSU we may well have been watching the Bobcats play Kentucky last Sunday.
If I remember correctly, MSU had 5 or 6 very wide open attempts from 3. If you convert on say half of those shots (stats show that you probably should hit half of those shots) it’s a one or two score game.
Also worth noting 8 FT’s were missed. If you convert at the rate of your season averages we’ve got ourselves a ball game and might’ve had the chance to play 2 Wildcat teams in 2 days.
That the nature of the beast and you truly can’t replicate the pressure of playing on a stage like March Madness.

Joe Bobcat
Member # Retired

Post by Joe Bobcat » Tue Mar 21, 2023 3:48 pm

Desert_Bobcat wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2023 3:11 pm
MSU01 wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2023 2:51 pm
BelligerentBobcat wrote:

If I remember correctly, MSU had 5 or 6 very wide open attempts from 3. If you convert on say half of those shots (stats show that you probably should hit half of those shots) it’s a one or two score game.
Also worth noting 8 FT’s were missed. If you convert at the rate of your season averages we’ve got ourselves a ball game and might’ve had the chance to play 2 Wildcat teams in 2 days.
That the nature of the beast and you truly can’t replicate the pressure of playing on a stage like March Madness.
So true. That KSU team is one scrappy bunch and they have some talent to go with it. If they lose, it will not be from lack of effort. A buddy of mine in the bracket I'm in has KSU playing in the championship game and as shredded as my brackets are I hope he's right. Go KSU

If you're looking for someone with a little authority, I'm your man. I have as little as anyone!

SACCAT
Member # Retired

Post by SACCAT » Tue Mar 21, 2023 6:37 pm

As far as the Big Sky Stats page, the 3 point % individual numbers are off... I don't know what their criteria is (minimum number of attempts, or makes..) but EWU had 3 players that shot over 37% from 3 (4 if you count Ty harper, but he only took 22). NAU had 4 that were 37% or higher as well. Of the Montana State Bobcats with over 50 attempts, only one shot over 37% (Brown at 40%).

Only 2 teams had a scoring margin of more than +2 in conference... MSU (7) and EWU (5). Defense wins championships.

tetoncat
Member # Retired

Post by tetoncat » Tue Mar 21, 2023 9:25 pm

BelligerentBobcat wrote:

YES

Sports is not bigger than life

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Wed Mar 22, 2023 10:27 am

tetoncat wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2023 9:25 pm
BelligerentBobcat wrote:

YES
I had the same what ifs...

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

GrizgradCatFan
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by GrizgradCatFan » Wed Mar 22, 2023 10:31 am

If they were all to stay I would like to see this line up. I think Sam if he is given a full year of playing time will do well. I think he didn't get into a flow as he didn't log continuous minutes, but I think he can stretch the floor. I am just hoping Great can elevate to more of a shot blocker. This will require him to be in more like Belo condition. I just don't see that in him and that is what worries me. I also think there will be another guard starting next year that isn't on the team. Time will tell. Also wondering what a couple of the other guys are thinking and if they are exploring their options right now. Time will tell and once the tourney is over it will be mayhem for guys looking to transfer. Also I will be suprised to see if EWU can retain all their guys. I see they are getting stud of a PG coming in that is a scorer so will be interesting. Also interested to see who the griz bring in to start with their one starter transferring.

C Osobor
F McMahon
F Lecholat
G Battle
G Brown

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Wed Mar 22, 2023 11:07 am

GrizgradCatFan wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2023 10:31 am
If they were all to stay I would like to see this line up. I think Sam if he is given a full year of playing time will do well. I think he didn't get into a flow as he didn't log continuous minutes, but I think he can stretch the floor. I am just hoping Great can elevate to more of a shot blocker. This will require him to be in more like Belo condition. I just don't see that in him and that is what worries me. I also think there will be another guard starting next year that isn't on the team. Time will tell. Also wondering what a couple of the other guys are thinking and if they are exploring their options right now. Time will tell and once the tourney is over it will be mayhem for guys looking to transfer. Also I will be suprised to see if EWU can retain all their guys. I see they are getting stud of a PG coming in that is a scorer so will be interesting. Also interested to see who the griz bring in to start with their one starter transferring.

C Osobor
F McMahon
F Lecholat
G Battle
G Brown
I think Osobor is better than Belo…

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Wed Mar 22, 2023 11:24 am

BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2023 11:07 am
GrizgradCatFan wrote:

C Osobor
F McMahon
F Lecholat
G Battle
G Brown
Offensively, yes. And it's always harder to be the dude than to be part of a dynamic duo. Osobor is going to get all that attention Belo got.

But I am excited to see him with another year under his belt next year, another offseason of practice and conditioning. He has a bright future that's for sure.

Desert_Bobcat
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Desert_Bobcat » Wed Mar 22, 2023 3:48 pm

BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2023 11:07 am
GrizgradCatFan wrote:

C Osobor
F McMahon
F Lecholat
G Battle
G Brown
100% agree… Thought it was pretty obvious by the end of the year who should have been getting the majority of the minutes

tetoncat
Member # Retired

Post by tetoncat » Wed Mar 22, 2023 4:32 pm

Great has more weapons offensively, better handles, and runs floor but not as strong yet defensively, but if he keeps improving year to year he is a problem for people

Sports is not bigger than life