WBB Tournament Game Thread

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

arvcat2
BobcatNation Team Captain

WBB Tournament Game Thread

Post by arvcat2 » Sun Mar 05, 2023 9:15 am

Go Bobcats!!!

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Re: WBB Tournament Game Thread

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Sun Mar 05, 2023 10:05 am

I expect PSU to shoot it a lot better than they did against us in Portland last week because no one could possibly shoot worse. They hit a lot of threes against Idaho State. Deden and Bad Bear need to dominate inside, and I expect they will against the PSU zone. PSU shouldn't be too tired. They didn't have to work very hard against a decimated ISU roster.

Catlady
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Catlady » Sun Mar 05, 2023 11:48 am

BelgradeBobcat wrote:
Sun Mar 05, 2023 10:05 am
I expect PSU to shoot it a lot better than they did against us in Portland last week because no one could possibly shoot worse. They hit a lot of threes against Idaho State. Deden and Bad Bear need to dominate inside, and I expect they will against the PSU zone. PSU shouldn't be too tired. They didn't have to work very hard against a decimated ISU roster.
Agree! Our inside game should be the difference. Question is which Montana State team shows up! We could win it all or lose today! This team could use a session with Dr. Phil. Too much talent to play this bad!

nevadacat
Member # Retired

Post by nevadacat » Sun Mar 05, 2023 3:54 pm

BelgradeBobcat wrote:
Sun Mar 05, 2023 10:05 am
Inside game non-existent. In fact, Kola passes up two bunnies to dish the ball off, one resulting in a turnover. The team that tried to force the ball inside on EWU now seems afraid of the paint.

PSU shooting the lights out from three.

...for today we raise, the BLUE and GOLD to wave victorious!... GO CATS GO!

WYCAT
Member # Retired

Post by WYCAT » Sun Mar 05, 2023 3:56 pm

I'm not sure we could look much worse. Turnovers, poor shooting and PSU is hot early. Digging a big hole

You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves." - Abraham Lincoln

nevadacat
Member # Retired

Post by nevadacat » Sun Mar 05, 2023 4:16 pm

Much better 2nd quarter. PSU is just shooting out of their minds. 41% from the field, 50% from behind the arc. Comparatively, we are 24% and 17%.

WYCAT
Member # Retired

Post by WYCAT » Sun Mar 05, 2023 4:18 pm

PSU is shooting well, 9-18 from 3. However, most of their looks were wide open. They are going to hit a lot.

You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves." - Abraham Lincoln

TheJoeGoldstone
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by TheJoeGoldstone » Sun Mar 05, 2023 5:54 pm

Regardless, Thanks for the 20 wins, the 2023 Co-Championship, your scholastic excellence, and community support. Well done, Bobcats.

Blue & Gold for 51 yrs

84CatGrad
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by 84CatGrad » Sun Mar 05, 2023 6:42 pm

Still a very good season despite this disappointing loss. Seems like there were several games this year when the other team had a red-hot game from three as PSU did tonight and we just couldn't adjust. Very frustrating to hold them to 34 a couple weeks ago and give up 77 today.

I always say, when you sign up for sports you sign up for heartache. Tonight it was heartache. But thanks for the memories Darian, Kola, Madison and Grace.

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Sun Mar 05, 2023 7:46 pm

That’s sports. PSU fans are celebrating. But we have lots to be happy about. I wouldn’t trade our coach, players and program for any other that I am aware of. It’s a well-run program, with an excellent head coach and exemplary players. They are fighting at the top now every year, and that is very hard to attain. Congratulations, ‘Cats and Coach Bin on another fun, exciting year of basketball.

Things to work on during the off-season that have shown consistent weakness:

1. The players are resilient, but sometimes the on-court plan and execution doesn’t keep up. Emphasize changes to the defense that clamp down on three-point shooters, especially the corner three. When players get re-matched by switching on screens, the corner three coverage becomes inconsistent. Even in man defense, the three-point shooters are sometimes being guarded by players hedging nearly to the key. Ain’t going to work. Eastern Washington and Portland State really took advantage.

2. Enter the offense from different locations, not just about one-quarter of the width of the court on the left side. Defenses know what’s coming and are well-prepared for it. Inside players get set up to their weak hand (left in most cases) quite often. Give them entries from either side, and a little more room to work.

3. Have fun again. Ramp it up. Those big smiles on the court were less common this year, even when winning.

Good luck, ‘Cats! I’m ready for the first game. 💙 💛 😺

BobcatDel

Post by BobcatDel » Sun Mar 05, 2023 7:50 pm

Seems like tourney often brings an upset somewhere along the line. This is the 3rd big upset I can remember over the last six years or so. Remember last year league regular season champ Idaho State lost to #8 Northern Colorado.

Hate to see the ladies go out like this. Season started with a lot of promise but didn’t seem like we could ever get consistent and seems like we faded down the stretch.

What did I hear….84 wins in 4 seasons for these seniors? Most in history for Bobcat ladies? But some big holes to fill and some hard decisions on how to rebuild next year.

Thanks Ladies for 4 great years and many fun games to watch!

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Sun Mar 05, 2023 7:55 pm

BobcatDel wrote:
Sun Mar 05, 2023 7:50 pm
Seems like tourney often brings an upset somewhere along the line. This is the 3rd big upset I can remember over the last six years or so. Remember last year league regular season champ Idaho State lost to #8 Northern Colorado.

Hate to see the ladies go out like this. Season started with a lot of promise but didn’t seem like we could ever get consistent and seems like we faded down the stretch.

What did I hear….84 wins in 4 seasons for these seniors? Most in history for Bobcat ladies? But some big holes to fill and some hard decisions on how to rebuild next year.

#1 EWU is also in serious danger here tonight against NAU on the men's side. The question isn't will there be an upset, but who it will be and if there will be more than one.

BobcatDel

Post by BobcatDel » Sun Mar 05, 2023 8:28 pm

MSU01 wrote:
Sun Mar 05, 2023 7:55 pm
BobcatDel wrote:
Sun Mar 05, 2023 7:50 pm

#1 EWU is also in serious danger here tonight against NAU on the men's side. The question isn't will there be an upset, but who it will be and if there will be more than one.
And as you speak the #1 EWU loses to #9 NAU!!!

Montanabob

Post by Montanabob » Sun Mar 05, 2023 8:47 pm

MSU busted my bracket. Maybe they get in NIT and do great 👍

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

nevadacat
Member # Retired

Post by nevadacat » Sun Mar 05, 2023 9:55 pm

Montanabob wrote:
Sun Mar 05, 2023 8:47 pm
MSU busted my bracket. Maybe they get in NIT and do great 👍
I’d be surprised to see an NIT bid. We lost 3 of our last 4, and didn’t look good in any of them.

aucat

Post by aucat » Mon Mar 06, 2023 2:09 pm

I am watching the EWU vs UM women's game and it really makes me appreciate the independent, objective and professional job that the two announcers for the men's games provide. It seems to me that these two ladies are so pro UM that this might as well be UM's own announcers. Whenever the MSU women are on TV, I have to mute the TV sound. I would rather watch the game in silence OR listen to the MSU announcer 30 seconds out of sync than to listen to the incredibly bias for UM that these two women exude.

Bobcat4Ever

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Mon Mar 06, 2023 3:34 pm

aucat wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2023 2:09 pm
I am watching the EWU vs UM women's game and it really makes me appreciate the independent, objective and professional job that the two announcers for the men's games provide. It seems to me that these two ladies are so pro UM that this might as well be UM's own announcers. Whenever the MSU women are on TV, I have to mute the TV sound. I would rather watch the game in silence OR listen to the MSU announcer 30 seconds out of sync than to listen to the incredibly bias for UM that these two women exude.
If you want to listen to the MSU radio announcer “in sync” then load up the Varsity App which is the newest official home for Big Sky radio. You can pause the Varsity radio stream! If you are using ESPN+ and Varsity together, it’s easy to do a few pauses and they are in sync! I’m watching ESPN+ on the TV, and have Varsity sending the radio to a Bluetooth wireless speaker that I set at the middle of the TV. You’d never know that the radio wasn’t the native sound for the telecast. 😀💙 💛 😺

Bobcat4Ever

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Mon Mar 06, 2023 3:41 pm

aucat wrote:
Those two were terrible for the MSU vs PSU game. They were absolutely shrieking (play-by-play the worst) into their microphones every time Portland State made another three. It was beyond cringeworthy. Why don’t the adults at the Big Sky offices listen to the two products and give the women a better crew. Title lX is supposed to provide for equal treatment, and I’m saying the women are really getting the short end of the stick when it comes to the TV announcers. The men’s crew is even-handed and always professional. The Conference needs to fix this to be fair to the women. I know there are good women announcers available, if that’s a requirement. The lady that used to do PSU (and now does the color), Terri, is always good to listen to. Knowledgeable, and even-handed.

aucat

Post by aucat » Mon Mar 06, 2023 5:23 pm

Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2023 3:34 pm
aucat wrote:
If you want to listen to the MSU radio announcer “in sync” then load up the Varsity App which is the newest official home for Big Sky radio. You can pause the Varsity radio stream! If you are using ESPN+ and Varsity together, it’s easy to do a few pauses and they are in sync! I’m watching ESPN+ on the TV, and have Varsity sending the radio to a Bluetooth wireless speaker that I set at the middle of the TV. You’d never know that the radio wasn’t the native sound for the telecast. 😀💙 💛 😺
Thank you I will next time!

Bobcat4Ever

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Tue Mar 07, 2023 4:12 am

aucat wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2023 5:23 pm
Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2023 3:34 pm
aucat wrote:
Thank you I will next time!
You are welcome. I forgot to mention that the Varsity App saves the radio broadcasts for “On Demand” listening later. Which means that it can be used with ESPN+ On Demand to sync the radio audio with the TV video no matter when you are watching or re-watching a game!