Big Sky Men’s Basketball Tournament

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Re: Big Sky Men’s Basketball Tournament

Post by PapaG » Wed Mar 08, 2023 10:23 am

77matman wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2023 10:18 am
At the game the advertising ribbon that circles the court seems to have a significant if not noticeable impact on the lighting. Is it noticeable on the court???
I didn’t notice. Lighting and main camera angle is top-notch on TV in that arena. I can see why the NCAA has first and second round Tournament games there every 3-4 years.

If I still lived in Portland I’d have driven over today but it’s too far from Billings.

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Wed Mar 08, 2023 10:30 am

PapaG wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2023 10:23 am
77matman wrote:
At the game the advertising ribbon that circles the court seems to have a significant if not noticeable impact on the lighting. Is it noticeable on the court???
I didn’t notice. Lighting and main camera angle is top-notch on TV in that arena. I can see why the NCAA has first and second round Tournament games there every 3-4 years.

If I still lived in Portland I’d have driven over today but it’s too far from Billings.
The NCAA Tournament is held at Boise State's on-campus arena, which is much larger than the Big Sky venue downtown that only seats around 5,000.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Wed Mar 08, 2023 10:37 am

77matman wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2023 10:15 am
After a big physical and emotional game like last night how much gas is left in the tank????
This is my concern. If we would have played NAU last night, we roll ‘em. Tonight, I am very concerned about much energy they can muster after that crazy long, meat grinder, blood bath of a game. Hoping the fatigue isn’t going to be as big of deal as I fear.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

kennethnoisewater
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by kennethnoisewater » Wed Mar 08, 2023 10:37 am

77matman wrote:
I noticed, but it's not bad. I've seen worse in other arenas, where it really makes it hard to watch. You can see it, but it doesn't detract from the game at all. Not sure if there's a camera lens filter that knocks that down, if there's a less glossy finish to the floor, or something else that arenas use, because most have ads on the sidelines and about halfway up the arena in that LED ribbon and you don't usually notice it.

kennethnoisewater

Post by kennethnoisewater » Wed Mar 08, 2023 10:44 am

catatac wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2023 10:37 am
77matman wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2023 10:15 am
After a big physical and emotional game like last night how much gas is left in the tank????
This is my concern. If we would have played NAU last night, we roll ‘em. Tonight, I am very concerned about much energy they can muster after that crazy long, meat grinder, blood bath of a game. Hoping the fatigue isn’t going to be as big of deal as I fear.
I agree, but three games in four days at this point in the season shouldn't be back-breakers. The trainers will have their hands full because last night was a grind. But modern basketball players are used to playing so many games. They grew up playing 6 games on a weekend in AAU ball. When I was in high school we'd play maybe 35 games a year between school ball and some summer games. Now kids are playing 100 in some cases, and more if they're not playing other sports. I think it will be a factor, I just don't think it'll be a huge one. Don't forget this will be NAU's 4th game in 5 days so they might be fatigued too.

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Wed Mar 08, 2023 10:48 am

bobcatfan15
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by bobcatfan15 » Wed Mar 08, 2023 11:10 am

77matman wrote:
I’m surprised the coaches haven’t complained more about this. It makes a noticeable difference when the colors change. Has to affect shooting.

"The season is like a roll of toilet paper, the closer you get to the end, the faster it goes"-Coach Green

77matman
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by 77matman » Wed Mar 08, 2023 11:17 am

Ya.

I wonder how the players perceive it. When the background switched from black to white it was quite noticeable in the first level of seats.

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Wed Mar 08, 2023 11:21 am

MSU01 wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2023 10:30 am
PapaG wrote:
77matman wrote:

The NCAA Tournament is held at Boise State's on-campus arena, which is much larger than the Big Sky venue downtown that only seats around 5,000.
Did not know that. Looks good on TV for a smaller venue. Doesn’t *feel* small watching.

Thanks for the info and Go Bobcats!

What a ride

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Wed Mar 08, 2023 11:22 am

PapaG wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2023 11:21 am
MSU01 wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2023 10:30 am
PapaG wrote:
77matman wrote:

Did not know that. Looks good on TV for a smaller venue. Doesn’t *feel* small watching.

I agree, great venue and miles better than the one they used in Reno!

aucat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by aucat » Wed Mar 08, 2023 11:35 am

I thought the defense by both MSU and Weber was outstanding. It will be tough tonight. Let's go Cats!

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Wed Mar 08, 2023 11:41 am

CodyCat wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2023 7:40 am
How many Cat fans were there last night?
A heck of a lot more than Weber fans that's for sure. The crowd thinned out some as the night wore on. griz fans started to trickle away as expected, but quite a few stuck around. I wonder how many Bobcat fans are making a quick trip over today?

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Wed Mar 08, 2023 11:50 am

PapaG wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2023 11:21 am

It's an excellent venue for our tournament. It feels like an arena-not a gym. It's designed for hockey so the lower and upper level seats on the ends are pretty far from the action so that's why they are usually empty. It's a great view from the sides and the upper deck on the sides is right on top of the action. The concourse encircles the entire arena with the court in full view. It's smack in the middle of downtown with hotels and restaurants all over the place. Really cool setup.

bobcatfan15

Post by bobcatfan15 » Wed Mar 08, 2023 12:00 pm

BelgradeBobcat wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2023 11:41 am
CodyCat wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2023 7:40 am
How many Cat fans were there last night?
A heck of a lot more than Weber fans that's for sure. The crowd thinned out some as the night wore on. griz fans started to trickle away as expected, but quite a few stuck around. I wonder how many Bobcat fans are making a quick trip over today?
Party of six will be there tonight!!!

"The season is like a roll of toilet paper, the closer you get to the end, the faster it goes"-Coach Green

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Wed Mar 08, 2023 12:29 pm

Prodigal Cat wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2023 9:33 am
Mtcatfan wrote:
Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:38 pm
Not seeing anything on egriz about the refs but they sure seem to think they need a quality proto- typical point guard and a few open scholarships.
Both Brint and Andrew Schmidt had tweets griping about officiating. I could go back and find em but I'm lazy and don't want to but that was the genesis of my comment. Go look though and Brint has a new tweet doubling down on his belief that Cats get more calls and its the reason they've won several of their games including last night.
We pound the ball inside more than any other team in the BSC, and with that style of offense, you're naturally going to draw more fouls than other teams. It's not any great mystery, and it certainly doesn't mean that we're getting any "breaks" or an unfair advantage from the officials.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Wed Mar 08, 2023 12:42 pm

I've taken a certain pleasure in watching Griz fans cry about officiating for several of their key losses in multiple sports over the last year or two, after dragging Cat fans for years and years about blaming the officials. Top notch entertainment.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

bobcatfan15

Post by bobcatfan15 » Wed Mar 08, 2023 12:52 pm

CelticCat wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2023 12:42 pm
I've taken a certain pleasure in watching Griz fans cry about officiating for several of their key losses in multiple sports over the last year or two, after dragging Cat fans for years and years about blaming the officials. Top notch entertainment.
They can dish it, but boy they cannot take it.
Last edited by bobcatfan15 on Wed Mar 08, 2023 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kennethnoisewater

Post by kennethnoisewater » Wed Mar 08, 2023 1:15 pm

CelticCat wrote:
Little brother gonna little brother. Seriously I used to hate when Bobcat fans complained about the gris getting all the breaks because it made us all look we had an inferiority complex, and gris fans said the same thing. So funny that the shoe is on the other foot and they don't see the irony.

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Wed Mar 08, 2023 2:21 pm

kennethnoisewater wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2023 1:15 pm
CelticCat wrote:
Little brother gonna little brother. Seriously I used to hate when Bobcat fans complained about the gris getting all the breaks because it made us all look we had an inferiority complex, and gris fans said the same thing. So funny that the shoe is on the other foot and they don't see the irony.
Yeah but they won a national title 23 years ago and played for another over a decade ago. RTD!

What a ride

RobertCats
Member # Retired

Post by RobertCats » Wed Mar 08, 2023 2:37 pm

It suprised me to hear that Dillon Jones is only a sophomore and, barring a transfer, will be back next year. So I looked into it and almost EVERY team returns their stud(s). It looks like the entire 1st team all-Big Sky will be returning except for possibly EWU Allegri who shows a senior but no redshirt so he may have a COVID year still? Is Moody gone for um? Shows he is a redshirt senior, but again, COVID year possibly?

In fact, looking at all the all-conference selections (1st, 2nd and 3rd teams) the ONLY players listed as seniors are;

EWU Angelo Allegri-Senior (possible COVID year?)
UNC Dalton Knecht-Senior (can play grad year if he chooses)
MSU Jubrile Belo-Senior
PSU Cameron Parker-Senior
UM Aanen Moody-Senior (possible COVID year?)
SAC Callum McRae-Senior (I THINK he is done)

So only 3 players out of the 15 are for sure not coming back next year? UNC loses both Johnson and Kountz as well, but other than that the upper Big Sky teams return most of their horses.