Big Sky Men’s Basketball Tournament

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Re: Big Sky Men’s Basketball Tournament

Post by MSU01 » Wed Mar 08, 2023 3:02 pm

RobertCats wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2023 2:37 pm
It suprised me to hear that Dillon Jones is only a sophomore and, barring a transfer, will be back next year. So I looked into it and almost EVERY team returns their stud(s). It looks like the entire 1st team all-Big Sky will be returning except for possibly EWU Allegri who shows a senior but no redshirt so he may have a COVID year still? Is Moody gone for um? Shows he is a redshirt senior, but again, COVID year possibly?

In fact, looking at all the all-conference selections (1st, 2nd and 3rd teams) the ONLY players listed as seniors are;

EWU Angelo Allegri-Senior (possible COVID year?)
UNC Dalton Knecht-Senior (can play grad year if he chooses)
MSU Jubrile Belo-Senior
PSU Cameron Parker-Senior
UM Aanen Moody-Senior (possible COVID year?)
SAC Callum McRae-Senior (I THINK he is done)

So only 3 players out of the 15 are for sure not coming back next year? UNC loses both Johnson and Kountz as well, but other than that the upper Big Sky teams return most of their horses.
Moody did not participate in UM's senior day, so it seems safe to assume he'll be back next year. It would be his 7th year, so I'm guessing he redshirted, then had a medical redshirt, then had the Covid year to still be eligible.

tetoncat
Member # Retired

Post by tetoncat » Wed Mar 08, 2023 4:46 pm

77matman wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2023 10:01 am
Was at the game.

I was impressed with Great’s defense on Jones. For a big guy he moves pretty good.
I agree, thought that would offset his mismatch at other end but I think we got the advantage

Sports is not bigger than life

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Montanabob » Wed Mar 08, 2023 4:55 pm

Is it just me? I thought there was a lot of inconsistency in the blocking and charging calls. Also with the paint calls for fouls or no fouls contact.

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Wed Mar 08, 2023 5:59 pm

Does anyone want a return to 80s/90s basketball? Just checking because I could swear I hear people saying basketball is soft and no one plays physically anymore.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Wed Mar 08, 2023 6:04 pm

John K wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2023 12:29 pm
Prodigal Cat wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2023 9:33 am
Mtcatfan wrote:
Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:38 pm
Not seeing anything on egriz about the refs but they sure seem to think they need a quality proto- typical point guard and a few open scholarships.
Both Brint and Andrew Schmidt had tweets griping about officiating. I could go back and find em but I'm lazy and don't want to but that was the genesis of my comment. Go look though and Brint has a new tweet doubling down on his belief that Cats get more calls and its the reason they've won several of their games including last night.
We pound the ball inside more than any other team in the BSC, and with that style of offense, you're naturally going to draw more fouls than other teams. It's not any great mystery, and it certainly doesn't mean that we're getting any "breaks" or an unfair advantage from the officials.
Good point. Playing to your strengths is just smart basketball. MSU is decidedly bigger and more physical than just about anyone they play. It’s called hoops because it’s not like rocket surgery my dudes.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Wed Mar 08, 2023 6:09 pm

BelgradeBobcat wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2023 1:36 am
That was the ugliest college basketball game I've ever seen. It had no redeeming qualities...except for the Bobcats winning of course. For a while I think Weber State forgot they had other players who could take a shot. They wanted to run everything through Dillon Jones even though he could barely hold himself up. Amazing defensive performance by Darius Brown on Verplancken who is really good at the mid-range game. Brown made him a non-factor late in that game. I don't know what to say...it was so ugly. Glad we got the win. Now we have to chase Jalen Cone all over the court tomorrow night. Danny needs to trust his bench for NAU.
No way. That wasn’t the ugliest college basketball game you’ve ever seen. I know you’ve watched a lot of college games so I’m having trouble thinking this is the ugliest you’ve seen.

toM StUber

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Wed Mar 08, 2023 6:16 pm

Both teams, for the most part, were missing contested shots late in the shot clock. There’s nothing wrong with that. They were both trying to be patient to get good shots and they (especially MSU) were being too cautious and robotic in their offensive sets.

Basketball, like baseball, is game where making shots is contagious. Hitting in baseball is contagious. Once both teams got the yips there was little chance of shaking them. Once that happens you just settle in for a game like we got. I’ve seen tons of games just like this. I’ve seen golf tournaments like this. Rams vs Patriots SB. Lakers vs Celtics 2010 game 7. About half the high school hoop games played on a given weekend.

toM StUber

Desert_Bobcat
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Desert_Bobcat » Wed Mar 08, 2023 6:57 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2023 6:16 pm
Both teams, for the most part, were missing contested shots late in the shot clock. There’s nothing wrong with that. They were both trying to be patient to get good shots and they (especially MSU) were being too cautious and robotic in their offensive sets.

Basketball, like baseball, is game where making shots is contagious. Hitting in baseball is contagious. Once both teams got the yips there was little chance of shaking them. Once that happens you just settle in for a game like we got. I’ve seen tons of games just like this. I’ve seen golf tournaments like this. Rams vs Patriots SB. Lakers vs Celtics 2010 game 7. About half the high school hoop games played on a given weekend.
Agreed. I’m not sure what the tv product looked like but as someone who was in the arena I didn’t get the impression of this being an ugly game at all. MSU has the #1 defense in the conference and Weber goes #2. This was a physical slug-fest between the top 2 defenses in the league who have a storied history of playing physical basketball games. The reason both teams shot around 35% from the field wasn’t due to missing wide open shots, because frankly there weren’t many to be had.
In a game where literally every point matters and the lead doesn’t get past 5 or 6 points, both teams are going to use the shot clock and be as methodical as they can be to get the best shot they can without risking a stupid turnover and giving up an easy fast-break bucket.

thefrank1
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by thefrank1 » Wed Mar 08, 2023 9:01 pm

Watching the game live, it was an intense, exciting battle between two very motivated teams. It held my interest from beginning to end and was one of the most intense games I've seen.

Watching the replay today, I didn't feel the same level of intensity at all. The camera didn't capture the character of the game nearly as well. Live is always better.

While registering my vehicles the assessor stated "I have had both Cat and Griz students and alums work for me and the Griz end up working under the direction of the Cats."

aucat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by aucat » Wed Mar 08, 2023 10:08 pm

I hate that I'm not there. When we played Weber at the Brick I sat right behind the Weber bench and I'm telling you those guys and their coaching staff were nuts in the 2nd half and almost pulled it out. There's no substitute for being at the game and especially close to the court.

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Thu Mar 09, 2023 2:13 am

TomCat88 wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2023 6:09 pm
BelgradeBobcat wrote:
That was. the ugliest college basketball game I've ever seen. It had no redeeming qualities...except for the Bobcats winning of course. For a while I think Weber State forgot they had other players who could take a shot. They wanted to run everything through Dillon Jones even though he could barely hold himself up. Amazing defensive performance by Darius Brown on Verplancken who is really good at the mid-range game. Brown made him a non-factor late in that game. I don't know what to say...it was so ugly. Glad we got the win. Now we have to chase Jalen Cone all over the court tomorrow night. Danny needs to trust his bench for NAU.
No way. That wasn’t the ugliest college basketball game you’ve ever seen. I know you’ve watched a lot of college games so I’m having trouble thinking this is the ugliest you’ve seen.
I don't know...it was 48-48 at the end of regulation. That's hard to do in the shot clock era. It was ugly. It was also dramatic, intense, and amazing to behold. I'll never forget that game and glad I was there to see it...but it was ugly.

Joe Bobcat
Member # Retired

Post by Joe Bobcat » Thu Mar 09, 2023 9:28 am

BelgradeBobcat wrote:
Thu Mar 09, 2023 2:13 am
TomCat88 wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2023 6:09 pm
BelgradeBobcat wrote:
That was. the ugliest college basketball game I've ever seen. It had no redeeming qualities...except for the Bobcats winning of course. For a while I think Weber State forgot they had other players who could take a shot. They wanted to run everything through Dillon Jones even though he could barely hold himself up. Amazing defensive performance by Darius Brown on Verplancken who is really good at the mid-range game. Brown made him a non-factor late in that game. I don't know what to say...it was so ugly. Glad we got the win. Now we have to chase Jalen Cone all over the court tomorrow night. Danny needs to trust his bench for NAU.
I don't know...it was 48-48 at the end of regulation. That's hard to do in the shot clock era. It was ugly. It was also dramatic, intense, and amazing to behold. I'll never forget that game and glad I was there to see it...but it was ugly.
Coach turned color announcer Joe Cravens called it a beautiful ugly game, or something like that. That probably covers it best, Joe knows.

If you're looking for someone with a little authority, I'm your man. I have as little as anyone!