Where does Belo rank?

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Where does Belo rank?

Post by mslacatfan » Sat Mar 04, 2023 10:01 am

Where does Belo rank all time among the MSU big’s? I’ve been a fan since 2000, in that time I would say Belo has to be top of the list…

What about some of you “old timers”, where would you rank Belo? I can’t imagine there have been many guys that would go ahead of him on the list…. Is Belo the best PF/Center to ever suit up for the cats?

He has had an amazing career, it’s been fun to watch!

FTG- GO CATS GO!

grizzh8r
Golden Bobcat

Re: Where does Belo rank?

Post by grizzh8r » Sat Mar 04, 2023 10:50 am

mslacatfan wrote:
Sat Mar 04, 2023 10:01 am
Where does Belo rank all time among the MSU big’s? I’ve been a fan since 2000, in that time I would say Belo has to be top of the list…

What about some of you “old timers”, where would you rank Belo? I can’t imagine there have been many guys that would go ahead of him on the list…. Is Belo the best PF/Center to ever suit up for the cats?

He has had an amazing career, it’s been fun to watch!
Dvaldo Mbunga was pretty good, as was Quadre Lollis

Eric Curry STILL makes me sad.
94VegasCat wrote:Are you for real? That is just a plain ol dumb paragraph! You just nailed every note in the Full Reetard sing-a-long choir!!!
:rofl:

CatBot
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by CatBot » Sat Mar 04, 2023 11:37 am

Definitely up there. I think Quadre Lollis gets my vote for #1. Belo still has some work to do.

Pecos24
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by Pecos24 » Sat Mar 04, 2023 11:52 am

CatBot wrote:
Sat Mar 04, 2023 11:37 am
Definitely up there. I think Quadre Lollis gets my vote for #1. Belo still has some work to do.
Quadre was a good one!

Bill Zander
CS '93
AKA - "F'n sorry ass"

BobcatDel
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by BobcatDel » Sat Mar 04, 2023 1:35 pm

Well it is so hard to rank some of the “old timers” with the “new timers” when questions like that are asked. But my era it was Jack Gillespie in the 4/5 slot that was the best in the Big Sky. Jack was the all time leading scorer and rebounder at MSU when he left. He still ranks 6th all time in scoring and is still 1st in rebounds for his career at MSU (3 of his seasons still rank in the top 10 best rebounding seasons). Those records still stand after over 50 years. Looking for a guy that could shoot the hook shot….well every week in the paper it would have a picture of Jack shooting that big hook shot….if you never saw it, you missed a treat.

His HOF article is below.

https://msubobcats.com/honors/hall-of-f ... llespie/83

So why am I not sure he is the best……well I left the state for 40 years after graduating so I never got to see Quadre play that some are mentioning. But since retiring and returning, it has been a pleasure to watch Belo play. What I would say is that Gillespie was not as good of a defender as Belo….Belo is absolutely a beast on defense, he owns the paint and you enter at your own risk. Gillespie was not as tough on the inside as Belo. Although about same height, he was smaller in physical build than Belo and I think todays game is a lot tougher on the inside than it was back in that era…I’m not sure how Gillespie and Belo would match up in todays game.

But each in their era were two of the best and we were blessed to have them as Bobcats. @Bobcat4ever was of a similar vintage so maybe he can weigh in. And my memories of that time are a bit “mold encrusted” so take that for what it’s worth.

Edit: here is an article from Montana Sports on Gillespie.

https://www.montanasports.com/high-scho ... tana-state

autocat
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by autocat » Sat Mar 04, 2023 3:50 pm

I think he has many years of professional ball ahead without the double and triple team’s

Looking forward to watching him play professionally, the best is yet to come for Belo =D^

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Sat Mar 04, 2023 4:00 pm

The best three guys I've seen at MSU are Quadre Lollis, Nate Holmstadt, and Jubrile. Quadre had an incredible '95-96 season and Nate was a freshman on that team who took over the next year. MSU is in a pretty similar situation right now with Jubrile graduating and Great Osobor as a younger guy taking over with a ton of talent.

It's tough to say who's the best, if you could create a player with Nate's scoring, Quadre's rebounding and Jubrile's defense you'd have one hell of a player.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Sat Mar 04, 2023 4:42 pm

In my limited time really watching Bobcat basketball, it’s Mbunga and Belo. I’d give the edge to Belo as he is a way better defender but I think Mbunga was better in the post on offense, had more moves in his arsenal.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Sat Mar 04, 2023 5:14 pm

BobcatDel wrote:
Sat Mar 04, 2023 1:35 pm
Well it is so hard to rank some of the “old timers” with the “new timers” when questions like that are asked. But my era it was Jack Gillespie in the 4/5 slot that was the best in the Big Sky. Jack was the all time leading scorer and rebounder at MSU when he left. He still ranks 6th all time in scoring and is still 1st in rebounds for his career at MSU (3 of his seasons still rank in the top 10 best rebounding seasons). Those records still stand after over 50 years. Looking for a guy that could shoot the hook shot….well every week in the paper it would have a picture of Jack shooting that big hook shot….if you never saw it, you missed a treat.

His HOF article is below.

https://msubobcats.com/honors/hall-of-f ... llespie/83

So why am I not sure he is the best……well I left the state for 40 years after graduating so I never got to see Quadre play that some are mentioning. But since retiring and returning, it has been a pleasure to watch Belo play. What I would say is that Gillespie was not as good of a defender as Belo….Belo is absolutely a beast on defense, he owns the paint and you enter at your own risk. Gillespie was not as tough on the inside as Belo. Although about same height, he was smaller in physical build than Belo and I think todays game is a lot tougher on the inside than it was back in that era…I’m not sure how Gillespie and Belo would match up in todays game.

But each in their era were two of the best and we were blessed to have them as Bobcats. @Bobcat4ever was of a similar vintage so maybe he can weigh in. And my memories of that time are a bit “mold encrusted” so take that for what it’s worth.

Edit: here is an article from Montana Sports on Gillespie.

https://www.montanasports.com/high-scho ... tana-state
Beat me to it, but you did a feature. Good info for the kids on here. Jack Gillespie #1. Jubrile Belo #2. Nate Holmstadt #3. Teams at times have had no answer for these guys. As you say, it’s a different game now, so hard to compare. Jack only played three years for those numbers. They all simply dominated games at times. All really exciting to watch.

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Sat Mar 04, 2023 5:54 pm

I can't believe no one has mentioned Doug Hashley. I know he was way before your time for many of you, but he deserves more respect from the old timers on here. Definitely among the top 5 of all time, along with Belo, Holmstadt, Lollis and Gillespie

BobcatDel
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by BobcatDel » Sat Mar 04, 2023 7:28 pm

John K wrote:
Sat Mar 04, 2023 5:54 pm
I can't believe no one has mentioned Doug Hashley. I know he was way before your time for many of you, but he deserves more respect from the old timers on here. Definitely among the top 5 of all time, along with Belo, Holmstadt, Lollis and Gillespie
I had not forgotten Hashley. It’s just when I was writing, I think Gillespie is better than Belo in my opinion. Im not sure Hashley was better than Belo. As mentioned by Bobcat4Ever, Gillespie could only play 3 years because freshmen could not play varsity. I think if Gillespie had been able to play 4 years his rebounding record may never be beat and his all time scoring would still be a couple notches higher.

But Hashley certainly needs to be in the mix when talking top 5.

For all those interested in the stats on rebounds, scoring, blocks and steals for the men you can see them on the historic statistics below.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montana_S ... al_leaders

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Post by Helcat72 » Sat Mar 04, 2023 7:41 pm

I feel Hashley, Lollis and and maybe Holmstadt would be called power forwards. Holmstadt played the 5 position more like a center. Belo and Gillespie are more like 5's. Belo is a great defender, Gillespie was an offensive threat and with the sky hook was hard to stop. Belo is not that accomplished as a scorer, but he has gotten better from his first year.

2024 Resume dominance

Bobcat4Ever

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Sat Mar 04, 2023 9:17 pm

John K wrote:
I haven’t forgotten him either. He was a menacing sight — when approaching the plate waving a bat in City League softball.

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Sun Mar 05, 2023 11:49 am

Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Sat Mar 04, 2023 9:17 pm
John K wrote:
I haven’t forgotten him either. He was a menacing sight — when approaching the plate waving a bat in City League softball.
Played against Doug at a couple of late season tournaments in Big Sandy and in Bozeman tourneys. He could crush it.

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

Bobcat4Ever

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Sun Mar 05, 2023 2:25 pm

RickRund wrote:
Sun Mar 05, 2023 11:49 am
Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Sat Mar 04, 2023 9:17 pm
John K wrote:
Played against Doug at a couple of late season tournaments in Big Sandy and in Bozeman tourneys. He could crush it.
I played a lot of tournaments in Bozeman, and around the state. Maybe we played each other. Hashley’s team had a pretty good infielder named Mick Durham.

Bobcat4Ever

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Sun Mar 05, 2023 2:30 pm

Excellent article on Jubrile Belo in the Bozeman Nearly-Daily Chronicle today. It said he was the only four-time All-Big Sky selection in conference history. If correct, that’s MSU and Big Sky HOF stuff. I stand by my choices. #1 Jack Gillespie. #2 Jubrile Belo. We are seriously going to miss the big guy.