WBB at um

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

WYCAT
Member # Retired

Re: WBB at um

Post by WYCAT » Sat Jan 21, 2023 4:52 pm

Really nice win. A fewsl stretches of concern but we stayed in control most of the way. 1 down 1 to go today.

You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves." - Abraham Lincoln

catscat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by catscat » Sat Jan 21, 2023 4:52 pm

Hope the men take it to the gris tonight. Go Cats!!

Can't make up my mind as to which is better - 55-21 or 48-14.

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Sat Jan 21, 2023 4:52 pm

72-63 for the LADIES... Some scary times.

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Sat Jan 21, 2023 4:54 pm

Darian White wins her last game in Dahlberg with 22 points!

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Sat Jan 21, 2023 4:59 pm

BelgradeBobcat wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 4:54 pm
Do we know for sure it is her last game there?

Great win today!

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Sat Jan 21, 2023 5:02 pm

MSU01 wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 4:59 pm
BelgradeBobcat wrote:

Great win today!
That's right she could come back with the covid makeup season. I haven't heard what she's planning on doing.

rivercat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by rivercat » Sat Jan 21, 2023 5:03 pm

MSU01 wrote:
BelgradeBobcat wrote:

Great win today!
She did have a really nice game as did Beasley.

Darian could play one more year.

"...get in 21 personnel and pound people and take their souls and have fun doing that..." coach Choate

arvcat2
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by arvcat2 » Sat Jan 21, 2023 5:04 pm

MSU01 wrote:
BelgradeBobcat wrote:

Great win today!
Binford has yet to extend the extra Covid year to any of her players, but the senior parents day (night) will be the biggest clue.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Sat Jan 21, 2023 5:06 pm

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Sat Jan 21, 2023 5:14 pm

arvcat2 wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 5:04 pm
MSU01 wrote:
BelgradeBobcat wrote:

Great win today!
Binford has yet to extend the extra Covid year to any of her players, but the senior parents day (night) will be the biggest clue.
If I have the numbers right, with the departures of Ranson and Hughes from the team MSU now has an open scholarship spot available for next year even if all other members of the current roster return. Darian and Kola would both seem to be prime candidates for taking advantage of the Covid year. Heck, maybe Madison Jackson too with how much she has improved this year.

BobcatDel
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by BobcatDel » Sat Jan 21, 2023 5:22 pm

BelgradeBobcat wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 5:02 pm
MSU01 wrote:
BelgradeBobcat wrote:

Great win today!
That's right she could come back with the covid makeup season. I haven't heard what she's planning on doing.
Madison, Kola and Darian all can take another year. Madison is getting married after this year and will not be continuing…..at least that is what Maddie told us before the season….guess she could change her mind?! About a week ago, Coach said Kola and Darian are still undecided at this point and probably a post season decision…..said multiple options open including international pro, returning, etc. etc.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Sat Jan 21, 2023 5:27 pm

BobcatDel wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 5:22 pm
BelgradeBobcat wrote:
MSU01 wrote:
BelgradeBobcat wrote:

Great win today!
Madison, Kola and Darian all can take another year. Madison is getting married after this year and will not be continuing…..at least that is what Maddie told us before the season….guess she could change her mind?! About a week ago, Coach said Kola and Darian are still undecided at this point and probably a post season decision…..said multiple options open including international pro, returning, etc. etc.
Thanks for the info - selfishly speaking it sure would be nice to get at least one of the seniors back for next year!

BobcatDel

Post by BobcatDel » Sat Jan 21, 2023 5:36 pm

MSU01 wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 5:27 pm
BobcatDel wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 5:22 pm
BelgradeBobcat wrote:
MSU01 wrote:
BelgradeBobcat wrote:

Great win today!
Thanks for the info - selfishly speaking it sure would be nice to get at least one of the seniors back for next year!
Agreed.

Just a reminder to everyone, the current junior class Beattie, Deden, Jansen, Limardo are the “last” class that will have the option to extend a year. Ranson who is leaving the team, is in the junior class, if she decides to go to portfolio, could technically play two more years elsewhere also….but I just don’t know if her heart is in continuing to play (but a change might revitalize her game as she did show skills at times in prior years).

arvcat2
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by arvcat2 » Sat Jan 21, 2023 5:47 pm

MSU01 wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 5:14 pm
arvcat2 wrote:
MSU01 wrote:
BelgradeBobcat wrote:

Great win today!
If I have the numbers right, with the departures of Ranson and Hughes from the team MSU now has an open scholarship spot available for next year even if all other members of the current roster return. Darian and Kola would both seem to be prime candidates for taking advantage of the Covid year. Heck, maybe Madison Jackson too with how much she has improved this year.
Based upon Binford’s history to date, as much as one would like to see anyone of these three seniors return next year, it is ultimately Coach’s decision and not the players regarding the extra Covid year. At the moment, Binford has 14 players on scholarship for next year and none of which will be juniors, eligibility wise. If she is going to add to the roster, I see her adding a transfer (point guard or post) with a junior eligibility to get some balance by class.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Sat Jan 21, 2023 6:08 pm

arvcat2 wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 5:47 pm
MSU01 wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 5:14 pm
arvcat2 wrote:
MSU01 wrote:
BelgradeBobcat wrote:

Great win today!
Based upon Binford’s history to date, as much as one would like to see anyone of these three seniors return next year, it is ultimately Coach’s decision and not the players regarding the extra Covid year. At the moment, Binford has 14 players on scholarship for next year and none of which will be juniors, eligibility wise. If she is going to add to the roster, I see her adding a transfer (point guard or post) with a junior eligibility to get some balance by class.
I totally understand that the extra year is a mutual decision between player and school, and that the school isn't obligated to accommodate every player who wants the extra year. At the same time, I also have a very hard time envisioning a scenario in which Coach Binford would say thanks but no thanks to one of the best players in program history in order to bring in an unproven transfer just to have a junior class of 1 instead of 0 next year.

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Sat Jan 21, 2023 6:17 pm

Helcat72 wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 3:51 pm
We are still rushing shots at the rim. Why can't they take their time and hit those layups...the Griz do! Our Achilles Heel is that and 3 pt shooting. When we lose you can usually blame it on 3 pt shooting (ours and theirs) and blown layups.

Our players run at the rim and throw up the shot so hard that it hits the board and bounces over the rim. The Griz at least "shoot" the ball instead of wildly throwing it at the board; that and they are also good at the running hook from either the left or right. We have more established players but they are playing very haphazardly. They have to take better shots, play better outside defense, and hit their layups.
:goodpost:
I think I write this every year at some time. Thank you. It’s called “shooting” layups, not “flinging” layups. Along with not using the backboard enough and turning to the weak hand it seems too often, our under-the-basket work is not a masterpiece. Use the weak hand if it’s there, but remember for righty-righty matchups that you’re going weak against strong with the defender.

(Right here I’ll say that, yes, there is a problem of hand size but the slightly smaller women’s game ball mitigates that somewhat.)

This layup deficit is fixable with good skills coaching and a week in the gym, and is measurable through all the stats and analytics. Proper technique would result in a higher shooting percentage, more fouls drawn and more and-ones. Using a guide hand is a fundamental of good shooting, and it doesn’t mean a shot is not quick, and it applies to jump shots and hook shots. The and-one is the holy grail of layup action.

Using the backboard for close range bank shots is perhaps the greatest size equalizer in the game. Combining that with a little hook shot that creates separation from a fronting defender’s arms, and it’s very hard to stop. I remember a Stanford player named Jane Appel who lived with that baby-hook bank shot. She scored something like 44 points in the national championship game.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Sat Jan 21, 2023 6:21 pm

Helcat72 wrote:
We are still rushing shots at the rim. Why can't they take their time and hit those layups...the Griz do! Our Achilles Heel is that and 3 pt shooting. When we lose you can usually blame it on 3 pt shooting (ours and theirs) and blown layups.

Our players run at the rim and throw up the shot so hard that it hits the board and bounces over the rim. The Griz at least "shoot" the ball instead of wildly throwing it at the board; that and they are also good at the running hook from either the left or right. We have more established players but they are playing very haphazardly. They have to take better shots, play better outside defense, and hit their layups.
Congrats to the fundamentally sound Grizzlies on their big wi...oh wait.

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Sat Jan 21, 2023 6:31 pm

MSU01 wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 6:21 pm
Helcat72 wrote:

Congrats to the fundamentally sound Grizzlies on their big wi...oh wait.
The Bobcats play much better defense and should be congratulated on that!!

The way they switch on screens is really pretty to watch. They also concentrate their help on the opponents who are likely to be the biggest danger. While this sometimes leaves a freshman or two to have a career day, they held Gfeller to basically nothing. As I remember that’s been the story lately when the ‘Cats win, and we lost the game where she really got away from us.

Go, ‘Cats. A sweet win. 💙 💛 😺

BobcatDel

Post by BobcatDel » Sat Jan 21, 2023 7:25 pm

Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 6:17 pm
Helcat72 wrote:

:goodpost:
I think I write this every year at some time. Thank you. It’s called “shooting” layups, not “flinging” layups. Along with not using the backboard enough and turning to the weak hand it seems too often, our under-the-basket work is not a masterpiece. Use the weak hand if it’s there, but remember for righty-righty matchups that you’re going weak against strong with the defender.

(Right here I’ll say that, yes, there is a problem of hand size but the slightly smaller women’s game ball mitigates that somewhat.)

This layup deficit is fixable with good skills coaching and a week in the gym, and is measurable through all the stats and analytics. Proper technique would result in a higher shooting percentage, more fouls drawn and more and-ones. Using a guide hand is a fundamental of good shooting, and it doesn’t mean a shot is not quick, and it applies to jump shots and hook shots. The and-one is the holy grail of layup action.

Using the backboard for close range bank shots is perhaps the greatest size equalizer in the game. Combining that with a little hook shot that creates separation from a fronting defender’s arms, and it’s very hard to stop. I remember a Stanford player named Jane Appel who lived with that baby-hook bank shot. She scored something like 44 points in the national championship game.
I get it guys and understand what you are saying….. but when you look at the game stats the Lady Cats shot 48% from two point range and the Griz shot 33% from two ball range. I know I know the Cat two point shots included a lot of Darian’s floaters…as well as Beattie and Maddie making some nice open mid-range buckets with some thrown in by Deden. But I do remember some nice under the basket reverse layups on a couple great drives by Beasely and a reverse in by either Kola or Lexi. I could swear the two long nearly full court passes by Beasley to Beattie for easy layups were backboard layins. There were some nice inside moves and put ups by Lexi and Kola in traffic…….Kola had a nice contested backboard bucket to put a dagger in the Griz at the end of the game. 🤷‍♂️. But you are right some of the contested shots in the middle could be better.

Yes I think the baby hooks could be more effectively used by our inside bigs….maybe we better get those hook shots developed by next Saturday when we play the two bigs at Sac State who have 24 and 29 blocks already this season!!!

BobcatDel

Post by BobcatDel » Sat Jan 21, 2023 8:09 pm

BTW….do people think the broadcast announcers did a reasonable job of keeping it balanced…or Griz homering prevailed? I’m too biased but I struggle with Redpath….she kinda chokes when she has to say something positive about the Cats.