Spring 2020 Recruiting

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Spring 2020 Recruiting

Post by mslacat » Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:19 pm

This is going to be a very weird spring signing period coming up. The spring signing period starts April 15th. The NCAA, because Corona-virus , declared that from earlier this month to April 16th will be a "dead period" for recruiting. It is very likely they could extend that dead period longer if the situation does not improve. The "Dead Period" means coaches can not travel and recruit. Ussually from the first day there season is over coaches hit road to visit recruits, coaches and do home visits. They can not attend AAU tourneys, All-Star games etc either. Coaches can not leave campus for any recruiting activities. Furthermore Prospects are not allowed to take campus visits, which are usually critical in choosing a school. The only contact coaches can have with recruits is, letter, phone and internet (although there are normal limitations on these contacts as well). Initially I thought the dead also meant no phone calls but I have been told otherwise. This means our coaches will have to do the majority of their recruiting long distance. All NCAA coaches though are facing the same problems so we will not be at a big disadvantage. There are some coaches that are benefiting because they had foresight or got lucky) of having recruits in early. Idaho State brought a bunch of recruits in during the basketball season , before all this crap blew up and over the past few days have been getting some recruits to commit, which they have to feel good about. I think all of these events are going to stretch out the recruiting/signing into the summer for many schools.

Mens
We filled all of our open scholarships this past fall, but then we had 3 players transfer in the past week. To be honest I think for the most part the coaches were not surprised at all at the transfers. Since this January all 2020 recruiting efforts seem to be soley directed toward perimeter players. All of the players I have seen associate with the Bobcats have been scorers, even the point guards. With the exception of maybe 1 or 2 point guards all of the players have been big time 3 point shooters both in range and percentage. I would say 3/4 of these recruits were JC players and 1/4 have been high school recruits. Among the JC's the coaches seem to be looking at guards with three years eligibility. With two of the scholarships that opened up I am expecting the coaches are trying to land a point guard (who can score the ball) and then another shooting guard/wing who can score the ball especially from deep 3 point range. With in the last week or I have been noticing the coaches seem to be looking real hard at the transfer portal players. With one exception all have been big men in the 6-7 and 6-8 range. Some are banger and some are more your stretch forwards type of big men. All the potential transfer prospects seem to have a previous connection to one of our coaches. Which makes sence. I think with the 3rd scholarship the coaches would really like to sign a drop down transfer, who can sit out a year and then have a big impact on the team the following year. I have heard Haslam has been recruiting Europe and Australia pretty hard the past year. This next part is pure speculation by me, but if we did have some hot prospects we are /were chasing I am betting most of that has gone down the drain given, the current world events. I doubt we could get them in for a visit let alone into the United States this summer to play basketball

Womes's
Binford filled all of her open 6 scholarships also this fall. Binford did not want to sign 6 high school players in this or any season, but as she said this class was too good to turn anyone down (isn't that a great position to in). That said the women's team always seems to have 1 or 2 underclass person scholarship open every spring, so you have to figure the same will happen this year. A month or so ago, I was given a name of a Washington prospect whom I am told has multiple d-1 offers on the table, but wanted to talk with the MSU coaches about playing here. I passed the name along and the response was (paraphrasing) "man we already have 6 freshman coming on next year, that is going to be a lot of teaching" . I think 6 freshman is their limit. If a scholarship or two opens up this spring my bet is Binford will look to sign a transfer who will sit out next year, or leave it open for next years class. BTW I heard this last fall and someone reminded me of it earlier this week. Binford said she felt 4 of her 6 fall recruits is capable of making the starting line up next year. Granted not all at the same time, but the potential is out there.

BTW Binford and her coaches have had this year recruiting class wrapped up for sometime,and they have been recruiting the 2021, & 2022 classes hard. Earlier this week we saw the first results of this work when 6-6 Lindsey Hein committed. I think there is another 2021 prospect out of Denver who has either quietly committed or is leaning super heavily to the Bobcats. I am wondering if she will again have all her scholarships for 2021 filled by mid summer again.

thefrank1
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Re: Spring 2020 Recruiting

Post by thefrank1 » Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:12 pm

as we saw when Danny and his team started last year, they clearly give players honest assessments of their situations and help them make decisions that are in the players best interest. This year is no exception.

While registering my vehicles the assessor stated "I have had both Cat and Griz students and alums work for me and the Griz end up working under the direction of the Cats."

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Sun Apr 05, 2020 5:18 pm

I believe one of the Bobcats top targets for the spring recruiting period 5-10 PG JoVon McClanahan committed to Hawaii last night. This not being able to take campus visits I think hurts the Bobcats more than most teams. I don't know how many times I have heard some one like Tyler Hall say they thought MSU/Bozeman was going to be a rundown backward campus and city but once they got here was impressed as hell at the campus and community. Anyway Moving on. If you have been following my Twitter account you will notice something about the shooting guards and small forwards The program has been offering...... Players with a +40% three point shooting percentage. Earlier this week the coaches offered 6-8 SG/SF/PF Khalil Johnson (12.9pts 5.6rbs 2.7ast shooting 44%FG & 45%3FG on 191 3pt attempts). He has over 10 offers, but all are from Big Sky level programs. Today the coaches offered Daniel Akuei of Northeast CC in NE., originally from Melbourne AU he avg 13pts 7.2rbs 2,2 ast while shooting 47%FG 45%3FG. for Northeast CC. I can not find any other offers for Akuei. Last February the Bobcats are said to have offered Akuei's teammate at Northeast 6-2 PG Emmette Page (22tps,4rbs,5ast 37%3fg). Page has offers the Bobcats and Evansville. Would be cool if Danny could arrange a package deal.

The only high school player I am hearing the Bobcats are still seriously recruiting 6-0 PG/SG Kameron Woods from Pinson Valley High School in Bessemer, AL. he avg 36pts (that is no typo) 5.3rebs 4.3ast 3 stl a game shooting 48%fg & 40%3FG (149 3-pt shots made)this past season. All conference/all state and all star awards coming out his ying yang. Verbal commits and his Twitter page both list as his official offers Montana State, Troy and Jackson State. Prephoops Alabama has Woods listed as the state 9th best prospect Presason and are indicating he will move up to about the 5th spot when their post season ranking come out. This is what they have to say about him
#5. Kameron Woods
, 5’11 PG, Pinson Valley: After the season and career he had we would be hard-pressed to leave him out of the top 5. The numbers he put up on the 6A level this season was one to remember. With multiple 50 and 40 point games say what you want about his size or ability to defend he can flat out get it done on the basketball court. Yet to make his college decision look for him to be flaming nets at a D1 very soon.
As they indicate above, one of the knocks on Wood is his size. I have seen him listed anywhere from 5-10 to 6-1. Will he be able to score like he is used to at the D-1 level being possibly under 6 foot is the question. The other knock is that while his HS team went 28-4 it is in one of the smaller school class (900-1000 students). If he has the right attitude (which is always a big question) he sounds to like someone to take a chance on. He is holding out committing to anyone hoping for a "bigger school" offer.

From what I am hearing the coaches are looking to bring in impact players this spring. Players that will push existing players for starting spots and playing time. We could have next year a player or two who played significant minutes last year sitting deep at the end of the bench next year. With the two scholarship, it appears the coaches want to sign a JC point guard who can score, and a small forward (or wing with size) who is deadly from deep and can play multiple positions. The one exception to this, though, is that the coaches are looking at a dozen or more D-1 transfer, but only upper end Big Sky Quality type players. It does not appear they are looking for any type of player, guard, forward or Bi, they are looking all over the board, but again impact players this year or next.

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:50 am

Earlier this week Danny Sprinkle got a commitment from 6-8 JC forward Bila Shabazz from Trinidad JC in Colorado. He is listed as a guard this year for Trinidad and a small forward as a freshman there. As I high school player he was listed as a power forward. I hear the Bobcats are mainly looking at him as a power forward, or a stretch forward. The relatively new term "stretch forward" tends to refer to a power forward who can step out and shoot the three. Dirk Nowitzki is was the player who invented the term. Shabazz averaged 12 points 7 rebounds 2 assists a game and shot 39% from the field and 38% three point range. his freshman stats were almost identical. He is originally from Wisconsin. Had a total of 4 offers and I am told Portland State wanted him badly. Here is some video high lights of his freshman year (2018-2019)

With the 1st day of the singing period 5 days away (April 5th) the Bobcats have one scholarship available and it definitely looks like they are focusing on a point guard two can score the ball. In a post from last weekend I mentioned that the coaches seem to be focusing on JC players with only one high school (Kameron Woods). That has changes the coaches seem to have started looking at a handful of high school point guards. Earlier this week they offered high school player 6-3 PG Kellen Tynes out of Canada who averaged 22 points 7 rebounds 6 assists 5 steals 44%FG & 34%3FG. His team was undefeated this year and won the league championship and was POY. He has 4 D-1 offers. The coaches seem to be looking at Texas and Southern California for high school guards. They are continuing to look at JC guards also. It was reported yesterday the Bobcats have offered 6-3 transfer guard Eijah Harkless. Harkleaa started 23 games last season for Cal State Northridge and averaged 11 points 6 rebounds 3 assists while shooting 46% from the field and 37% from 3 point range. His short list is MSU, Fresno St, Oklahoma, Loyola Marymount, & San Diego. He would need to sit out next season as a transfer and have two years to play at his new new school.

BTW: High school guard Kameron Woods, Tweeted yesterday he would announce his college decision next Tuesday. I don't know whenever some player schedules a time to make their announcement rarely have Montana State in mind. Still as far as I can tell he still only has 3 offers.

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:02 pm

Shabazz is an interesting signee. I wonder if Sprinkle is going to try to platoon Fernandez and Shabazz at the 4 and Kirby and Belo at the five. That would give us a lot more foul trouble cover. Kirby played a lot with Belo last season, but neither has any range beyond a couple of feet. Fernandez came on later in the season. Looks like Shabazz and Fernandez both can shoot the 3-though neither is prolific at it. They both have the size to defend and rebound at that spot.

imacat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by imacat » Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:59 am

msu_agfan
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by msu_agfan » Mon Apr 13, 2020 1:03 pm

mslacat wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:50 am

BTW: High school guard Kameron Woods, Tweeted yesterday he would announce his college decision next Tuesday. I don't know whenever some player schedules a time to make their announcement rarely have Montana State in mind. Still as far as I can tell he still only has 3 offers.
From the Verbal Commits website, the other two schools who have offered him also have a committed incoming freshman point guard. Perhaps that will sway him to us?

http://verbalcommits.com/players/kameron-woods-al

If he's the one, we sure could use a pt. guard who started out as a freshman and developed here under Spinkles tutelage.

Animal Science/ Ag Business '96

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Mon Apr 13, 2020 4:48 pm

msu_agfan wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 1:03 pm
mslacat wrote:

From the Verbal Commits website, the other two schools who have offered him also have a committed incoming freshman point guard. Perhaps that will sway him to us?

If he's the one, we sure could use a pt. guard who started out as a freshman and developed here under Spinkles tutelage.
I noticed he still only has 3 offer's including MSU and both of the other schools have got commits from other freshman point guard, but still I am not getting my hopes up. I get kind of Johnny Mack (that a reference for us old time Bobcat Basketball fans) feeling about the kid. I think he really wants to stay home and since the coaches could not get him here for an official visit it seems like an up hill battle. Don't get me wrong I think the kid could for the Bobcat men as Darian White was for the Bobcat women, but only if he comes in with a similar attitude as Ms White did. I do not think the coaches are waiting on him for either. I bet over the last 7-10 days they have been in contact with 8-10 JC, high school and D-1 (and a D-2 to boot) transfer PG Guards . I am real curious, though where he ends up. I am bettering on a fourth school who we do not know about. possibly in Alabama or a near by state.

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD
Member # Retired

Post by BLACKnBLUEnGOLD » Mon Apr 13, 2020 9:56 pm

mslacat wrote:
I hear the Bobcats are mainly looking at him as a power forward, or a stretch forward. The relatively new term "stretch forward" tends to refer to a power forward who can step out and shoot the three.
Relatively new? The stretch 4 has been around for a while. Tom Damako was 6'10" and could shoot threes at MSU in the 80s, and we're not exactly on the forefront of basketball here. Heck, Arvydas Sabonis had legit 3-point range as a stretch 5. Big guys shooting from long range may be more common now than it used to be, but it ain't new.

"What's our job? Gettin the offense the ball! How we gonna do it? By any means necessary!"

-Trent King, Playmakers

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Tue Apr 14, 2020 7:32 am

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 9:56 pm
mslacat wrote:
I hear the Bobcats are mainly looking at him as a power forward, or a stretch forward. The relatively new term "stretch forward" tends to refer to a power forward who can step out and shoot the three.
Relatively new? The stretch 4 has been around for a while. Tom Damako was 6'10" and could shoot threes at MSU in the 80s, and we're not exactly on the forefront of basketball here. Heck, Arvydas Sabonis had legit 3-point range as a stretch 5. Big guys shooting from long range may be more common now than it used to be, but it ain't new.
Tom was definitely one of the first "stretch forward" I can think of, but I do not remember anyone calling him that. I did not hear the term "Stretch Forward" until 3-4 years ago.

LTown Cat
Golden Bobcat

Post by LTown Cat » Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:39 am

mslacat wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 7:32 am
BLACKnBLUEnGOLD wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 9:56 pm
mslacat wrote:
Tom was definitely one of the first "stretch forward" I can think of, but I do not remember anyone calling him that. I did not hear the term "Stretch Forward" until 3-4 years ago.
The term is certainly newer than the 80's but much older than 3-4 years. I first started hearing it in the early 2000's. Guys like Dirk, Chris Bosh, Kevin Love, etc. Watch this--it's kind of cool:
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=nb ... &FORM=VIRE

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:59 am

mslacat wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 4:48 pm
msu_agfan wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 1:03 pm
mslacat wrote:

I noticed he still only has 3 offer's including MSU and both of the other schools have got commits from other freshman point guard, but still I am not getting my hopes up. I get kind of Johnny Mack (that a reference for us old time Bobcat Basketball fans) feeling about the kid. I think he really wants to stay home and since the coaches could not get him here for an official visit it seems like an up hill battle. Don't get me wrong I think the kid could for the Bobcat men as Darian White was for the Bobcat women, but only if he comes in with a similar attitude as Ms White did. I do not think the coaches are waiting on him for either. I bet over the last 7-10 days they have been in contact with 8-10 JC, high school and D-1 (and a D-2 to boot) transfer PG Guards . I am real curious, though where he ends up. I am bettering on a fourth school who we do not know about. possibly in Alabama or a near by state.
The replies to his latest Twitter post seem to imply he may be going to Alabama. Whether that's wishful thinking from those replying or if they have some inside info they are hinting at, we will see. Either way, I agree that it seems quite unlikely he'll commit to MSU without ever being able to visit campus across the country from his home.

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:43 pm

Short of a Kentucky or Duke (its hard for other D-1 school to compete with their salary cap) I think Woods dream school is Alabama! Again thought the type of recruit who announces a week in advance when he/she will be committing wants as much attention as he can get and somehow Montana State does not seem to be the kind of school to feed and ego like that.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Tue Apr 14, 2020 3:30 pm

Well, Mr. Woods has missed his scheduled announcement by an hour and a half at this point. Maybe the fax machine is taking too long to connect from Alabama all the way to Montana, haha.

Edit: He's staying close to home at Troy.

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:07 pm

Well we signed our two new Bobcats yesterday and there were no real big surprises. I really think we got a lot better! Shabzz should really push Kirby and Fernandez for both playing time and the starting power forward position. Plus he brings some elements to his game (shooting and athleticism) that we don't have. Gazelas bring in more shooting, which will help ease the losses of Frey and Ricketts and he also adds some great depth to our guard corps. Next year I really see Bishop starting at point guard unless Hood and another players comes in an unseeds him, but for the shooting guard and wing spots I see a dog fight between Hood, Gazelas, Adamu, Paulo and even true freshman Peterson competing for the starting position and then back up minutes. I think it is very possible a players who was a regular part of the rotation last year will be finding themself now sitting at the end of the bench if they are not careful. Heck I saw enough of of Bellach last year that if he puts in the work he might be pushing some of those folks. I think that is what Sprinkle wants. He wants competition and he wants the players to be concerned about playing time next year. A little competitive motivation.

We have on more scholarship to offer. Danny said yesterday when interview he is looking for a freshman point guard. We will get some news of our new point guard maybe tomorrow or over the week end.

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:24 pm

So with the announcement of Paulo leaving the program and and opening up a 4th spring scholarship. plus the third scholarship going to a high school point guard, I am betting that the coaches will look to fill Paulo's scholarship with a D-1 transfer. The big question maybe will we sign a undergraduate transfer (needing to sit out a year) or a graduate transfer (eligible to play immediately)

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:05 pm

BOOM!

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:16 pm

Rothesay Netherwood School, besides sounding like something out of Harry Potter or Lord of the Rings, was also the 1996 Champion of the National Grammar Rodeo held at the Sheraton Hotel in Canada.

Looking forward to mslacat's deep analysis into the high school recruiting scene of the Canadian Atlantic Provinces.

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:11 pm

MSU01 wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:16 pm
Rothesay Netherwood School, besides sounding like something out of Harry Potter or Lord of the Rings, was also the 1996 Champion of the National Grammar Rodeo held at the Sheraton Hotel in Canada.

Looking forward to mslacat's deep analysis into the high school recruiting scene of the Canadian Atlantic Provinces.
It just proves the point-if you're good, they'll find you.

imacat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by imacat » Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:31 pm