Darian White vs. Tyler Hall...?

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Darian White vs. Tyler Hall...?

Post by mslacatfan » Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:38 am

I can't say enough about how impressive Darian White has been this year (as everyone knows)… so much fun to watch her play. Colter has said she is the best player in the league (in his opinion).

Got me thinking, who has had a more impressive and/or impactful freshman season, Darian White or Tyler Hall?

I never thought I would see a better player come through the basketball programs (men or women) then Tyler Hall, as he is one of the best all time players for the entire conference, he had no business being in the Big Sky. We all know the immediate impact he had, and the numbers he was able to put up, broken records, etc....

Is White even better though?.... different positions, different type of players... Whites team has obviously been better and more successful...

I think it would make for an interesting discussion/debate...

FTG- GO CATS GO!

CATFAN4LIFE
BobcatNation Redshirt

Re: Darian White vs. Tyler Hall...?

Post by CATFAN4LIFE » Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:45 am

Darian helped her team get to the Championship Game. Not to take anything away from Tyler as he truly is a very gifted athlete!

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:20 am

Darian White makes her whole team better. Tyler Hall needs a player like Darian White to truly play at his highest level. That isn't a knock on Hall, he is the best scorer the Cats have had ever had, but White is a more complete player.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:08 am

Great stuff from Sprinkle. I know he's kidding...kind of. The men's team was all there last night with their coaches cheering on the women's team. It was great to see. As for Darian vs. Tyler: Darian has a much better head coach. The really galling thing was we had Tyler Hall and Harald Frey on the same team for three years and never had a winning record because Brian Fish couldn't keep a big or figure out how to defend.

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:33 am

BelgradeBobcat wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:08 am
The really galling thing was we had Tyler Hall and Harald Frey on the same team for three years and never had a winning record because Brian Fish couldn't keep a big or figure out how to defend.

not to derail the thread... but, they ALSO had a guy that flirted with the Portland Trailblazers roster.... so 2 "nba level" type of guys, and arguably the best point guard in the history of the program...… and coach fish really did absolutely nothing with it.... wow.

FTG- GO CATS GO!

LTown Cat
Golden Bobcat

Post by LTown Cat » Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:22 am

mslacatfan wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:38 am
best all time players for the entire conference, he had no business being in the Big Sky.
I'd call Tyler one of the best all time SCORERS. Darian does it in all aspects. She's more complete--in my humble opinion.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:38 am

Just imagine if Darian can develop a really good three point shot.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

WalkOn79
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by WalkOn79 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:42 am

BelgradeBobcat wrote:
Great stuff from Sprinkle. I know he's kidding...kind of. The men's team was all there last night with their coaches cheering on the women's team. It was great to see. As for Darian vs. Tyler: Darian has a much better head coach. The really galling thing was we had Tyler Hall and Harald Frey on the same team for three years and never had a winning record because Brian Fish couldn't keep a big or figure out how to defend.
:lol: =D^ =D^ He's a funny guy!

"One of the greatest feelings in the world, moving someone from point A to point B against their will"

Mitch Brott - 2019 Cat / Griz

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:12 pm

If there were an award for Big Sky "Pain in the Butt" it would be Darian. She can disrupt!!!

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

technoCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by technoCat » Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:19 pm

If we are talking biggest impact, going with Darian White. She is fantastic at getting the rest of the team involved and it is a much better team overall because of it.

Best player, Tyler Hall hands down at this point. Darian is great but she is somewhat propped up by the bevy of talent around her. Tyler did most of his damage when he was the only option. He was also a very underrated defender and passer.

Now this is all just based on this year. If Darian continues to improve over four years(which I think she has a great shot at doing if Binford sticks around), I will most likely change my mind.

DIE HARD CATS FAN SINCE THE DAY I WAS BORN

WalkOn79

Post by WalkOn79 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:44 pm

They were both game ready beyond almost all freshman at this level. I think Darian will continue to progress as a perimeter shooter and overall leader.

"One of the greatest feelings in the world, moving someone from point A to point B against their will"

imacat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by imacat » Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:50 pm

mslacatfan wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:33 am
BelgradeBobcat wrote:
The really galling thing was we had Tyler Hall and Harald Frey on the same team for three years and never had a winning record because Brian Fish couldn't keep a big or figure out how to defend.

not to derail the thread... but, they ALSO had a guy that flirted with the Portland Trailblazers roster.... so 2 "nba level" type of guys, and arguably the best point guard in the history of the program...… and coach fish really did absolutely nothing with it.... wow.

Before we all go forward deriding Coach Fish ... remember he is the reason Hall, Frey and Blevins are Bobcats.

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Post by Helcat72 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:41 pm

Hall was the best three point shooter, maybe...remember coach Sprinkle, and nobody knows how good Craig Finberg would have been, but I think TH could not create shots like Harald or Danny. He rebounded ok, but never was a force. I bet Harald had more rebounds this year than Tyler had in his senior year. You could tell Tyler had the game, but he rarely used it. Just roamed around the 3pt line and waited for an open shot imo! I also think he put on too much weight his last two years.

2024 Resume dominance

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:37 pm

Really nice article out of the Idaho Statesman about Darian. This girl is going to sell a lot of tickets the next three years. Be sure to check out the video highlight with the article: https://www.idahostatesman.com/sports/h ... 72351.html

BobcatDel
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by BobcatDel » Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:23 am

LTown Cat wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:22 am
mslacatfan wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:38 am
best all time players for the entire conference, he had no business being in the Big Sky.
I'd call Tyler one of the best all time SCORERS. Darian does it in all aspects. She's more complete--in my humble opinion.
Echo this. You never asked Tyler to defend and stop their best offensive player and then go lead the offense then go break the press....

Tyler was a great player I was glad was a Bobcat....Darian is a more complete Player.

blueandgoldblitz
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by blueandgoldblitz » Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:18 am

Not to derail this thread, but is anyone else worried that Darian might go into the transfer portal and try to go to a higher level now that tape is out there on her in college? And how does the one time transfer thing work? Is that in effect yet? Does it pertain to basketball?

WalkOn79

Post by WalkOn79 » Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:42 am

blueandgoldblitz wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:18 am
Not to derail this thread, but is anyone else worried that Darian might go into the transfer portal and try to go to a higher level now that tape is out there on her in college? And how does the one time transfer thing work? Is that in effect yet? Does it pertain to basketball?
Shut your mouth! :x :x :x

thefrank1
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by thefrank1 » Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:37 pm

I try not to devote too much energy to things I don't control. Just gonna enjoy watching her while she is here.

While registering my vehicles the assessor stated "I have had both Cat and Griz students and alums work for me and the Griz end up working under the direction of the Cats."

NorthernPlains
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by NorthernPlains » Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:04 pm

WalkOn79 wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:42 am
blueandgoldblitz wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:18 am
Shut your mouth! :x :x :x

Well this is THE PROBLEM for all smaller schools. A very real risk we just become farm teams for the big boys in every sport.

If the NCAA stays with their proposal I don't know how you avoid it. It's a potential disaster.

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Mon Mar 16, 2020 5:51 pm

For me the key issue between Darian White vrs Tyler Hall will be how much White develops and improves her game over her 4 years at MSU. Hall over all improvement, over his 4 years was disappointing. I would argue Harald Frey showed a tremendous improvement in his game from Freshman to Senior far more than Hall did. I would go as far as saying that by the end of Hall's senior year, I thought Frey was the better player. This year Frey was much better than Hall was his senior year. White improved all year and just got batter and better, but in the end the question will be does she sit on he laurels of being the best player on the Bobcat roster, or does she push herself each year to get better and better. It also comes down to the coaches, can they give the guidance that is needs to help her improve her game. I would trust Binford to accomplish this more than I would Fish. In the end though Darian White is going to want to get better and is going to need to put the time in to get better. She has the potential when it is all over to be may be the best guard ever to play for the Bobcats or Just another very good player. It all depends on how much she improves over the next 3 year.