5 games to go

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

orsalak
BobcatNation Team Captain

5 games to go

Post by orsalak » Sun Feb 16, 2014 3:11 pm

How does the men's team finish? I see them going 2-3 and getting the last playoff spot. We beat ISU and SUU and lose to UM WSU and NAU. Consequently losing in the first round of the conference tournament. I am sure this script was written before the season started. What say you?

22-0

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Re: 5 games to go

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Sun Feb 16, 2014 3:50 pm

orsalak wrote:How does the men's team finish? I see them going 2-3 and getting the last playoff spot. We beat ISU and SUU and lose to UM WSU and NAU. Consequently losing in the first round of the conference tournament. I am sure this script was written before the season started. What say you?
This team is so unpredictable, I honestly wouldn't be shocked if they beat Weber, won in Missoula, gave Southern Utah its first win and got blown out by Idaho State. The team actually has six games left. They also have to play at Sacramento State.

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:51 pm

Whatever games Paul Egwuonwu decides to show up for we have a good chance of winning. I read something about him twisting an ankle yesterday? Anybody know anything? Is it serious? He's so terribly inconsistent...but then so is most of the team.

I think we're going to be on the outside looking in come tournament time, but that's no big deal, because we'll always, always, always lose in the first round of the tournament.

bozbobcat
Member # Retired

Post by bozbobcat » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:19 pm

Here are the standings for the Big Sky after Idaho State knocked off Weber State, with remaining games to go.

WSU 11-3 (@UM, @MSU, Sac, NAU, @PSU, @EWU)
UNC 9-5 (@NAU, @Sac, EWU, PSU, UND, @SUU)
UND 8-6 (@Sac, @NAU, PSU, EWU, @UNC, @SUU)
NAU 8-6 (UNC, UND, @ISU, @WSU, MSU, UM)
UM 7-7 (WSU, ISU, SUU, MSU, @Sac, @NAU)
EWU 7-7 (@SUU, PSU, @UNC, @UND, ISU, WSU)
MSU 7-7 (ISU, WSU, SUU, @UM, @NAU, @Sac)
Sac 7-7 (UND, UNC, @WSU, @ISU, UM, MSU)
ISU 7-7 (@MSU, @UM, NAU, Sac, @EWU, @PSU)
PSU 6-8 (@SUU, @EWU, @UND, @UNC, WSU, ISU)
SUU 0-14 (PSU, EWU, @MSU, @UM, UND, UNC)

We can safely put Southern Utah in position number 11 at this point. Portland State has a hard road as well with four in a row on the road. That leaves 9 teams for 7 spots, and this is where it gets ugly. I bet Weber holds on to the top seed, and then it's anybody's guess. I'd guess Northern Colorado would end up in the top four. Otherwise, I just don't know. I think 10 wins is going to do it for any of the team trying to get to the conference tournament.

So what does that mean for the Cats? First off, they have to beat Southern Utah at home. Next, the Cats have to win some games against the teams in the 7-7/8-6 cluster, and we know how well the Cats have done in Missoula, Flagstaff, and Sacramento in recent years. It really seems like the game against Idaho State plays out as an elimination game. A win against Weber would be huge for tiebreaker purposes and getting in. The Cats will have to go 3-3 to stay in it, but I can't tell you if that's going to happen. The only thing to do at this point is to let the games play out.

GO CATS!
It's always a good day to be a Bobcat fan! :) =D^ \:D/
My name is Steve, if you'd like to know.

desmond1957
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by desmond1957 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:05 pm

According to Huse on Tuesday Paul's ankle will be okay and not a factor. Whether he (Paul) will be a factor will depend on his give-a dam attitude, as always.

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:58 pm

desmond1957 wrote:According to Huse on Tuesday Paul's ankle will be okay and not a factor. Whether he (Paul) will be a factor will depend on his give-a dam attitude, as always.
Well put! =D^