Fieldhouse Upgrades

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

norcal cat
BobcatNation Letterman

Fieldhouse Upgrades

Post by norcal cat » Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:57 pm

2.6 million dollar coming to the Fieldhouse next year.

http://architecture.mt.gov/content/desi ... nformation" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

rtb

Re: Fieldhouse Upgrades

Post by rtb » Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:16 pm

I wonder if they can make it look like this type of set-up inside?

http://fhsuathletics.com/sports/2010/7/ ... 04329.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;?

Would that be a perfect set-up for the Cats?

Randy B. - MSU '04 Image

kennethnoisewater
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by kennethnoisewater » Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:19 pm

I wish, RTB. They have to keep the space of the fieldhouse the same so they can continue to host track meets and rodeos and other "dirt" events. Unfortunately the RFP says they're looking for a curtain system to make it a more intimate venue. I like the idea of making it more intimate, I just don't see how that's not going to look a little hokey. Fortunately people a lot smarter than me will be working on it!

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk 2

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:33 pm

I hope they can do something to the inside to make the atmosphere a bit brighter and not so dark. The fieldhouse was much better before the last renovation when it didn't feel like you were walking into a cave. It's kind of sad that they need to install a curtain system. They are trying to make it sound positive (more intimate atmosphere), when in reality it just means every year sees fewer and fewer people showing up to basketball games. No curtains needed in the 80s and 90s when Bobcat basketball teams were fun to watch and actually won some games during all months of the basketball season!

rtb

Post by rtb » Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:01 pm

kennethnoisewater wrote:I wish, RTB. They have to keep the space of the fieldhouse the same so they can continue to host track meets and rodeos and other "dirt" events.
I get what you are saying, but the above facility is an indoor track facility as well. I know that doesn't cover the "dirt" events, but other than that this one I linked to would cover most things.

Randy B. - MSU '04 Image

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:49 pm

rtb wrote:
kennethnoisewater wrote:I wish, RTB. They have to keep the space of the fieldhouse the same so they can continue to host track meets and rodeos and other "dirt" events.
I get what you are saying, but the above facility is an indoor track facility as well. I know that doesn't cover the "dirt" events, but other than that this one I linked to would cover most things.

The indoor track is for practice only.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:49 pm

??????????????????????????
Last edited by Hawks86 on Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:00 pm

Hawks86 wrote:
rtb wrote:

Eh?

oedipuss
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by oedipuss » Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:06 pm

I think this project is a great idea! Depending on how large the new baseline seating will be, it should create a much better looking basketball set up, and I am all for a comfy chair (preferably with a cup holder) in the lower level. As far as the curtain system - it should help with the cavernous feeling of walking into a 6500 seat arena that has 2000 fans in it and, if the Lord ever allows, the team starts winning and attracting more fans, all you gotta do is open up the curtain. Now if they'd only hire some cocktail waitresses to come by with beverages...

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:08 pm

wbtfg wrote:
Hawks86 wrote:
rtb wrote:

Eh?

The indoor track at the arena rtb posted is for practice only.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:41 pm

Hawks86 wrote:
wbtfg wrote:
Hawks86 wrote:
rtb wrote:

Eh?

The indoor track at the arena rtb posted is for practice only.
Oh right.....some days im a little slow.

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:18 pm

They could probably use a smaller amount and just fix up Romney Gym and have the team play there-then they could use the difference to buy the football team some more helmets or something...(I'm only being a little bit sarcastic here).

But if they must spend the $$ in on the fieldhouse I hope they can figure out a way so the student section isn't 50 feet from the sideline behind 3 rows of press tables. That'd be a good start.

For the ultimate in curtain arenas we need only look to the University of Idaho's Cowan Spectrum. I've never seen it in person, but it looks kinda cool on TV and in photos (see below). They also configure their bleachers to get somewhat of a bowl effect:

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:27 pm

Cowan Spectrum seating chart:
For those who may not know, this is how they configure their basketball arena which is the Kibbie Dome where they also play football.

rtb

Post by rtb » Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:44 pm

Hawks86 wrote:The indoor track is for practice only.
And the difference between a practice and a meet is? 7 people need chairs to watch? ;) I kid, I kid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Randy B. - MSU '04 Image

CatBlitz
Golden Bobcat

Post by CatBlitz » Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:39 pm

So are they going to move the students back to the courtside? One of the biggest mistakes MSU has made in the Fieldhouse.

Don't let this distract you from the fact that the griz blew a 22-0 lead.

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:13 am

oedipuss wrote:I think this project is a great idea! Depending on how large the new baseline seating will be, it should create a much better looking basketball set up, and I am all for a comfy chair (preferably with a cup holder) in the lower level. As far as the curtain system - it should help with the cavernous feeling of walking into a 6500 seat arena that has 2000 fans in it and, if the Lord ever allows, the team starts winning and attracting more fans, all you gotta do is open up the curtain. Now if they'd only hire some cocktail waitresses to come by with beverages...
So IF they decide to sell beer in the football stadium next season, would they also sell beer in the fieldhouse during basketball games? That might be one way to improve attendance. :lol:

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:52 am

What are your feelings if it looked similar to this ?

http://tucsoncitizen.com/morgue/2008/07 ... or-mckale/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

KittieKop
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by KittieKop » Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:41 am

^^^Yes!

"It was like a coordinated effort by the Missoulian and the police to bring UM Football program down..." eGriz 11/30/12

Now where did I leave my tinfoil hat?

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:19 pm

KittieKop wrote:^^^Yes!
I agree. I'd like to see the seating wrap around the court-and the stands be at a steeper pitch. Capacity? Maybe 5,000 just in case we're ever good again.

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:13 pm

BelgradeBobcat wrote:
KittieKop wrote:^^^Yes!
I agree. I'd like to see the seating wrap around the court-and the stands be at a steeper pitch. Capacity? Maybe 5,000 just in case we're ever good again.
When they host state high school hoops tourneys at the fieldhouse, they must get at least 5,000 for the Saturday night sessions...right? They might not want to reduce the current capacity by too much, just for that reason.